Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Don't Call It a Kidnapping

• Start Topic

From the episode

Ambassador Kate Wyler: The atmosphere around the meeting might be improved from our standpoint, with a clarification of the prime minister's remark about Iran.

UK Foreign Secretary Austin DennisonAs I understand it, the prime minister was repeating what he'd heard from President Rayburn. What was the phrase?

WylerThat was one head of state to another.

Except the UK Prime Minister isn't the head of state, both of whom should know hat, but particularly the UK Foreign Secretary.

I know it's not the most important criticism, but it bugs given that writers/showrunner/whomever are otherwise treating this as a subgenre of science fiction as Mindy Kaling would put it.

I regard romantic comedies as a subgenre of sci-fi, in which the world operates according to different rules than my regular human world. For me, there is no difference between Ripley from “Alien” and any Katherine Heigl character. They are equally implausible. They’re all participating in a similar level of fakey razzle-dazzle, and I enjoy every second of it.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/10/03/flick-chicks

Edited by Constantinople
  • Like 4
(edited)

We’re supposed to believe that her bathroom phone call lasted 35 minutes?

Getting a little tired of female Sheldon Cooper with the bowtie. Way too obvious comic relief.

Edited by kay1864
  • Like 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, kay1864 said:

Getting a little tired of female Sheldon Cooper with the bowtie. Way too obvious comic relief.

That character stood out too much to be just a background staffer, but didn't seem to be getting anything significant to do.  I was wondering what was going on with them  (them per IMDB).  I've seen the whole season at this point so (very mild spoiler)

Spoiler

I guess we were supposed to be noticing them.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 1

I think the actress played a Scottish queen (Mary, Margaret?) in one of the many historical series on one of the many streaming channels. The huge eyes and dopey face made me notice her.

23 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I think the actress played a Scottish queen (Mary, Margaret?) in one of the many historical series on one of the many streaming channels. The huge eyes and dopey face made me notice her.

She played Margaret Tudor in the Spanish Princess and Lucy in the Chronicles of Narnia movies.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, CAM said:

She played Margaret Tudor in the Spanish Princess and Lucy in the Chronicles of Narnia movies.

That's Georgie Henley, who's the wide-eyed assistant at the ambassador's residence.

Ronnie is played by Jess Chanliau.

(In case anyone was confused by who was being referenced.)

• Like 1

I liked this episode and Kate was really good. Especially the part at the end where she told Hal that all his actions were fucking with her head so much she couldn't think straight. Since that is sort of how I was feeling.

I especially didn't see the point of the called off assassination attempt. Because either Kate and Hal trust the Iranian guy or not. Saying you called off an assassination doesn't really mean anything since you have no real proof they had planned it in advance. 

On 4/30/2023 at 10:34 PM, kay1864 said:

I am hardly a fashion expert. But I feel like if you are a short relatively skinny white person with short black hair, you should never wear a grey suit with a bowtie. Since even if the bowtie isn't red you are going to look like Pee Wee Herman.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

I was bored by the first episode (though a little more interested when we rewatched after vacation), but at least something interesting happened in the second episode. Still, the whole kidnapping thing seemed unrealistic.