Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: NNP

• Start Topic

While he rents out his house, Joel and Sam revel in the highs of their temporary living situationship – and the lows of cleaning up after strangers. Meanwhile, as a newly single Tricia preps for an empty nest, Sam is overcome with unexpected emotion as she begins to clean out the barn.

Airing Sunday, April 23, 2023.

I'm so happy this show is back. I hope someone else is watching it. 

Sam cleaning out the barn got to me. They had to deal with Mike Hagerty's death, but I liked that they didn't kill off the character, at least not yet. His absence is very sad, and the emotions Sam was feeling while clearing out his life felt really genuine. 

Not that much happened, really, but I'd watch Sam and Joel have tiny, silly adventures all day. 

• Like 14
  • Love 6

I love this show as well.  Real people doing real things. Like life, the show is an emotional rollercoaster. Every character is dealing with one or multiple life issues. This show is truly unique.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

So glad this show is back!

But man, my emotions. That one reeeeally hit me where I live. My dear aunt and uncle are elderly and live on a farm; we are at the point of trying to decide when and how to proceed with their care and the property. The scene of Sam cleaning out her dad's barn hit me hard. It was also impossible to keep my dad from smoking after his stroke, so I related to that with her mom too. 

Just wish I had a sweet friend/roomie like Joel to help process it all with support and teenie-tinis! 

The moments of humor are so simple, hilarious and true. I had to pause during the pencil test/salad dressing test because I was laughing so hard right along with the characters.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Iseut said:

The moments of humor are so simple, hilarious and true. I had to pause during the pencil test/salad dressing test because I was laughing so hard right along with the characters.

The last time I heard of the pencil test was, I think, in high school.  Then, it was a bad thing if the pencil fell - it meant you were still flat!

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

I too am glad this show is back. I binged last season late, so I didn't get into posting.

I absolutely love the characters, esp Sam and Joel and their relationship.

There are so many quiet, sweet, funny moments. I can see some people thinking "Nothing happens," but I just think it's a lovely show. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

The last time I heard of the pencil test was, I think, in high school.  Then, it was a bad thing if the pencil fell - it meant you were still flat!

Yes, but I think as one ages *a-hem*, I can understand why it's not a bad thing anymore. 😂

I have always related to Sam, but when she stuck that bottle of salad dressing under her boob, I was like, YAAAAASSSS QUEEN! THAT'S MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

• Like 6
  • LOL 6

I wonder if some of the dinner scene was improvised. Joel's discomfort at "look at my boobs - whose are best?" and then the bottle hilarity seemed spontaneous.

Bittersweet moments as Sam cleaned out the barn, thinking of how hard her dad worked and how little his wife and kids appreciated it all those years he slogged on.

Sam and Joel might be the best chemistry I've seen in my years of watching TV.

Fabulous first episode.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Love the adventures of Sam and Joel, but Jeeze Louise, I have never ever had a best friend, at any age, where I would be hanging in my undies with bush creeping out! 😬😱🤣

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6

I saw this was back on the air and thought, man - this show usually makes me cry and I don't feel like crying....I'll watch it anyway, it probably won't make me cry with the first new episode.  And then it absolutely did, when Sam asked Joel on the phone to just stay with her awhile.  And again when Tricia came home to a completely empty house and had no idea what to do.  And probably a third time that I can't even remember.

I love the title of this show, it matches the slow-paced but very true and real vibe that somebody, somewhere, is going through the same exact life-altering events as these characters, or has gone through those things already and can relate.  I know I can.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I love the pacing of this show. It feels like a slow flow then bam. The dinner scene was so funny. I felt for Tricia first taking her daughter to college then finding out her house was put up for sale. If she would loosen up without being drunk she could fit in with the gang. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I don't think I heard on the show where their father is supposed to be. I know he died in real life, but it seemed like he's still alive in the show, just not at home. So where is he supposed to be now, and why is she clearing out the barn in the way one would after someone has died? Love this show, glad it's back.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Arcey said:

I don't think I heard on the show where their father is supposed to be. I know he died in real life, but it seemed like he's still alive in the show, just not at home. So where is he supposed to be now, and why is she clearing out the barn in the way one would after someone has died? Love this show, glad it's back.

He's with his brother, iirc, and his brother has a boat they're on.

• Like 1

I'm so so happy the show is back - it's my happy place show before the crappy work week starts.  A friend actually caught some of the filming of this season near her home so I'm waiting for what she saw to appear on the screen.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 4/28/2023 at 3:21 PM, retired watcher said:

then finding out her house was put up for sale.

I thought that was her neighbor's house and the reason she was upset was Charity was the realtor.  Was it her house??  If my cheating husband put my house up for sale and listed it with his affair partner, I would burn it to the ground.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I thought Tricia was reacting to Charity starting up her own business and putting her smug grin all over town, and the house had nothing to do with it.

Edited by IvySpice
  • Like 6

I love this show and wrote a whole big thing about this episode, and unfortunately I had a Windows update and BOOM, it's gone.

I'll just say that I would still die for Joel, still love this gentle show, and I thought its handling of the father's absence was joyful and really well-done -- I was dreading the father's death after the heavy grief they were already living with in season 1, so this was a nice way to handle it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Glad the show is back but my only major complaint from last season has been magnified, which is the one-dimensional way they have been writing the mom. Last season she was unpleasant and in rehab. We never saw even any brief hints of whatever positive traits attracted the dad way back when they first met, nor any flashbacks of a possibly happier mom earlier with the family. Now that she has had the stroke, that would seem to be an even more appropriate time to have some flashbacks, so we can see some other aspects of her personality. We've been able to see different facets of all the major characters, which to me makes it more glaring that we haven't seen that from her.