Type keyword(s) to search

The original Frasier Rewatch

Athena
  • Start Topic

If you are interested in rewatching the original show, we can organize it in this thread. Please feel free to suggest possible schedules, must watch episodes, etc. I could also create Season threads if there is enough interest as well.

Back to my Season 9 rewatch.

Daphne's reverse proposal?  Re-proposal? back to Niles after Niles found her father was very sweet.

And I liked watching Cora and Frasier trick Martin and Cam, that was really fun, until Cora and Martin's kiss which unfortunately was made incredibly awkward by John Mahoney.  LOL.

Watching Frasier and Roz talk FOR AN ENTIRE EPISODE about how they had sex the previous one was so uncomfortable. I wonder if anyone on the planet was ever asking for the two of them to hook up.  It's not as bad as Rachel Green and Joey Tribbiani, but it's close.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Daphne's reverse proposal?  Re-proposal? back to Niles after Niles found her father was very sweet.

I love that scene so much. The way Niles just wordlessly grabs Daphne's hand and leads her out of the apartment so they can go elope...<3. 

Watching Frasier and Roz talk FOR AN ENTIRE EPISODE about how they had sex the previous one was so uncomfortable. I wonder if anyone on the planet was ever asking for the two of them to hook up.  It's not as bad as Rachel Green and Joey Tribbiani, but it's close.

Ha, eh, I've come across a few Frasier/Roz shippers out there, so yeah, they exist :D. I personally don't mind the idea, either, though I also totally understand and respect the show ultimately deciding not to go that route, for a whole host of reasons.

I do love Frasier working to make sure things between him and Roz are okay after all of that :). He's so worried that their friendship's been completely ruined and it's really touching to see how much he cares about her and doesn't want to risk losing that bond. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I noticed in a rerun tonight on COZI that the guest caller was Brooke Adams. Some years ago, that would have meant nothing to me, but since I've been binging on Monk, I know she is married to Tony Shaloub. She had a role in "Mr. Monk and the Kid".

• Like 4

Is this where we just talk about the show now? Because the algorithm did its job and served this up to me: 

It got me thinking about where I would want to eat in Frasier's Seattle. It would be hard to pass up the chance to have a dessert made by Faye, Fabulous Faye, so I'd probably go for Le Cigare Volant. But I'd hate to miss out on whatever the experience is at The Salad Experience, so it's a tough choice.

On 4/15/2023 at 4:07 AM, Annber03 said:

Ha, eh, I've come across a few Frasier/Roz shippers out there, so yeah, they exist :D. I personally don't mind the idea, either, though I also totally understand and respect the show ultimately deciding not to go that route, for a whole host of reasons.

I'm a romantic and a dyed-in the wool shipper, but I never wanted Frasier and Roz to be a couple. To me they're not even compatible as opposites who complement each other. But (eventually) (and most of the time lol) they're great friends. But I can accept that the show had them sleep together once and talk it over so it never needed to come up again. Kind of like Lilith and Niles; they needed each other in that brief moment, but ultimately it didn't change their relationship.

• Like 3
On 4/23/2023 at 8:53 AM, Lois Sandborne said:

It got me thinking about where I would want to eat in Frasier's Seattle. It would be hard to pass up the chance to have a dessert made by Faye, Fabulous Faye, so I'd probably go for Le Cigare Volant. But I'd hate to miss out on whatever the experience is at The Salad Experience, so it's a tough choice.

I'd be willing to give Farmer Jack's Chicken Chicken Chicken a try (I think that's the name).

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
23 hours ago, Anela said:

If this is only on paramount, then I can't do a re-watch. I don't have cable. 

It’s also on Hulu and Peacock. But it is leaving Peacock in 5 days. 

On 4/25/2023 at 4:27 PM, AD35 said:

I'd be willing to give Farmer Jack's Chicken Chicken Chicken a try (I think that's the name).

I'd grab a bite at The Timber Mill. I'll make sure to leave my tie at home, enjoy the salad bar (one trip only, please), and ask them to leave bacon bits off my baked potato (I don't eat bacon because of the nitrates).

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

I'd grab a bite at The Timber Mill. I'll make sure to leave my tie at home, enjoy the salad bar (one trip only, please), and ask them to leave bacon bits off my baked potato (I don't eat bacon because of the nitrates).

That would be my pick, too. It just seems like the sort of restaurant I could see my family going to for dinner. I bet they'd have good French fries or burgers or something. 

Plus, I don't wear ties, so I wouldn't have to worry about anyone cutting mine off when I arrived :p. 

• Like 2

I never got into into when it first came out, but now find myself watching it and liking it, on Cozi TV.  There was an eery coincidence in an episode I just saw.  In the episode where Frasier meets an unknown woman, who leaves voice mails, at the airport, the woman’s voice says she’s arriving on American Airline flight 11, which just a few years later was one of the planes/flights involved in 9/11.  Chilling.

• Useful 3

My mom and I also caught the episode last week where they had Frasier Crane Day to celebrate Frasier's 1,000th radio broadcast. At the end of the episode, they showed clips from an actual Frasier Crane Day event that the cast held in Seattle. 

The date of that particular Frasier Crane Day celebration?

September 11th, 1997. 

43 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

My mom and I also caught the episode last week where they had Frasier Crane Day to celebrate Frasier's 1,000th radio broadcast. At the end of the episode, they showed clips from an actual Frasier Crane Day event that the cast held in Seattle. 

The date of that particular Frasier Crane Day celebration?

September 11th, 1997. 

Another irony… the producer of the show was killed on the AA flight 11 on 9/11, heading to LAX that dreadful morning.  It was the Boston to LAX route.  

• Sad 3

Favorite Episodes in No Particular Order:

Midwinter Night's Dream

Moon Dance

Ham Radio

Room Service

The Ski Lodge

Merry Christmas Mrs. Moscowitz 

Three Valentines (the only reason it's on the list is for the Niles segment)

Honorable Mention goes to any episode where someone is throwing/hosting a party. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 10/9/2023 at 9:23 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Favorite Episodes in No Particular Order:

Midwinter Night's Dream

Moon Dance

Ham Radio

Room Service

The Ski Lodge

Merry Christmas Mrs. Moscowitz 

Three Valentines (the only reason it's on the list is for the Niles segment)

Honorable Mention goes to any episode where someone is throwing/hosting a party. 

I highly approve of this list!

I might add the one where Frasier wants to set up his new boss with Daphne, only to discover he was accidentally dating him himself.

(I'm bad with titles.)

Oh, and one of my absolute favorites is the real-time one where they are in the café - mostly F and N - but everyone else stops by... Breakfast With Niles?

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, ofmd said:

I highly approve of this list!

I might add the one where Frasier wants to set up his new boss with Daphne, only to discover he was accidentally dating him himself.

(I'm bad with titles.)

"The Matchmaker". Another classic :D. "There's something I have to tell you. Dad wanted to, but I won the coin toss."

Oh, and one of my absolute favorites is the real-time one where they are in the café - mostly F and N - but everyone else stops by... Breakfast With Niles?

That one sounds like "Shutout in Seattle", from your description :). 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Has anyone recently watched season 1 on Prime? The reboot/revival/sequel/ whatever has inspired me to go back to the real thing, and around the middle of s1 I’m starting to see oddities. Like, for a given episode, the title, description, and screencap are from three different episodes. What actually plays may or may not be one of those.  And sometimes the CCs are for a different episode. Plus, I seem to randomly get 4x3 or 16x9 versions. This is on a smart tv and two different fire sticks, so I don’t think it’s my device. 

I can get it on Hulu as well, and it looks to be better, but since Prime is my only ad free option, I’d like to be able to watch there. 

Anyone else seeing an issue? 

• Mind Blown 1

I need to do a rewatch of the original Frasier. Although I think the new show has gotten better in recent weeks, it definitely lacks rewatchability. I wouldn't rewatch any of the new episodes while I would rewatch tge original Frasier in a heartbeat. The comedies I have enjoyed over the past few years I would rewatch and in some cases, have.

• Like 1

I'm on my second rewatch.  First was a few years ago.  I can't believe how many times I have laughed out loud.  This show holds up so well!  One thing I only now noticed is the slight animated change to the title card graphics each episode. I don't remember that from watching when it first aired and I think my first rewatch was probably on Netflix where I could avoid the opening intros. I'll go back to the new episodes after I finish this rewatch because the original is just so damn good!

Edited by ichbin
  • Like 4

I'm rewatching for pretty much the first time since the original airing.  I'm most of the way through S3, and only just realizing that Frasier's fancy schmancy apartment apparently doesn't have in-unit washer & dryer.  I think two episodes in a row, Daphne has come in the front door carrying in a laundry basket.  Oh well, I guess people who live there just send their laundry out with a service.

Which leads to point two:  I know they always introduce Daphne as Martin's physical therapist or home health aid or something similar, but my gawd, that poor woman appears to be the chief cook/cleaning lady/dog walker/everything else they need to run a household!  I hope at some point behind the scenes she negotiated a salary commensurate with her responsibilities!

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
22 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm rewatching for pretty much the first time since the original airing.  I'm most of the way through S3, and only just realizing that Frasier's fancy schmancy apartment apparently doesn't have in-unit washer & dryer.  I think two episodes in a row, Daphne has come in the front door carrying in a laundry basket.  Oh well, I guess people who live there just send their laundry out with a service.

Which leads to point two:  I know they always introduce Daphne as Martin's physical therapist or home health aid or something similar, but my gawd, that poor woman appears to be the chief cook/cleaning lady/dog walker/everything else they need to run a household!  I hope at some point behind the scenes she negotiated a salary commensurate with her responsibilities!

I can’t remember which episode it is, but later on it’s revealed that Frasier converted the space with the W/D hookup into storage for his hats (IIRC).  That may be the episode where he ends up buying Daphne a car at the end.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

As I posted recently, I’m rewatching from the beginning, and I’m now on s04e01, The Two Mrs. Cranes. Where Martin reminisces about driving the moon-crane, among other things. Is there a more LOL episode than that, because if so, I want to skip to that immediately. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I can’t remember which episode it is, but later on it’s revealed that Frasier converted the space with the W/D hookup into storage for his hats (IIRC).  That may be the episode where he ends up buying Daphne a car at the end.

It's much, much later (s9e20) - Cam Winston is part of the episode. But the episode where he buys Daphne a car is s2, where Frasier keeps getting caught in Daphne's room and she threatens to quit.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
33 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

As I posted recently, I’m rewatching from the beginning, and I’m now on s04e01, The Two Mrs. Cranes. Where Martin reminisces about driving the moon-crane, among other things. Is there a more LOL episode than that, because if so, I want to skip to that immediately. 

He is so fun in that episode, he's just having a blast totally messing with everyone as he is and it's great :D. I also love how Niles and Daphne mirror each other's actions at various points, with the way they both look towards the door or at Martin at the same time, or sit down on the couch together. 

(Regarding funny Martin moments, last weekend my mom and I watched a couple of the Christmas episodes, and I was just losing it at the bit in "Perspectives on Christmas" where Martin starts talking about being in that play, trying to sing his song, only to be interrupted when Eddie runs off with the baby Jesus doll. That entire rant is just pure gold from start to finish XD.)

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don't always agree with IMDb ratings but they have Season 5's The Ski Lodge as their top-rated episode (S5.E14) and Ham Radio (S4.E18) as the second top-rated episode. 

I do like Ham Radio, but I don't think it's on the same level as The Two Mrs. Cranes for me.  On the other hand, The Ski Lodge was one episode I thought of when I read your question.  I don't know if I pegged it as quite the classic when I first watched it, but it has gone up in my estimation over the years. 

I don't know if I'd put it above The Two Mrs. Cranes in terms of the number of laughs, but it certainly comes close.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
23 hours ago, Annber03 said:

(Regarding funny Martin moments, last weekend my mom and I watched a couple of the Christmas episodes, and I was just losing it at the bit in "Perspectives on Christmas" where Martin starts talking about being in that play, trying to sing his song, only to be interrupted when Eddie runs off with the baby Jesus doll. That entire rant is just pure gold from start to finish XD.)

I adore that episode! I watch it every Christmas. I love the moment when Daphne realizes that Martin isn't dying after all, as well as Frasier/Niles trying to teach Martin to hit the note.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

I adore that episode! I watch it every Christmas. I love the moment when Daphne realizes that Martin isn't dying after all

I love the way everything Martin says just sounds so wrong when Daphne overhears it. "Now tell me what I'm supposed to say when I see Jesus for the first time?" 

as well as Frasier/Niles trying to teach Martin to hit the note.

"Try it, Dad!"

"No, I'm afraid with three of us doing it, it might look stupid." 

• LOL 4