Type keyword(s) to search

S25: Adam & Bethany

• Start Topic

I just realized that Bethany is the Bethany Hamilton who lost an arm in a shark attack when she was around 13. She should be a pretty tough competitor, it will be interesting to see how she does in the challenges.

• Love 5

Normally I dislike stunt casting but Bethany Hamilton is awesome and can do whatever the hell she wants in my book (although I admit that I am now keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn't do anything bitchy or sanctimonious that will make me dislike her while she is on TAR).

• Love 6

I hope they last a long time because I want to see how they handle roadblocks. I'm sure that she is more physically capable than most racers, but there are things that will be harder for her to do with only one arm, so I'm interested in seeing if they plan for that (or if they do like many racers seem to do and forget that one half of the team should not be doing all the physically easier tasks).

It's interesting that others are also finding Adam to be a Jessus-like creepy Ken doll.  When the accident happened with Bethany I remember seeing several stories mostly about her uber-religious family life.  The father came off imho as kind of a quirky beach bum but the mother seemed like an overcontrolling nut case.  Bethany herself seemed more like a sheltered ten year old than a teenager to me.  A quick google of "Bethany Hamilton religion" brought up a list of articles on the subject that sort of confirms my opinion but I have no desire to research her further.  I haven't seen the movie either but it's my understanding it involved a lot about their faith.  Therefore, it makes sense she'd end up with someone like youth minister Adam. Maybe the only way they were allowed to hold hands if they were married.  I hope not.  

She seems like a great young woman though and no doubt she'll go far on the show.  Best of luck to her.

Edited by QuelleC

I love these two. They're affectionate with each other in a way that seems warm and natural to me, and she really does seem able to do more with one arm than I could imagine doing with my two. And it may come up later, but right now there seems to be none of the "I'm doing this to prove that one-armed people can do anything." So basically you have a likable couple, very competent and pleasant to be around. I just wish they'd won the Save instead of Scary Dentist and his Not-Quite-As-Scary Dentist Wife. They do have a tendency to make small mistakes that bump them down a place or two, so I hope they watch that.

• Love 3

I do worry about these small mistakes, especially since they went to the wrong counter at the airport and stayed there till it was almost too late to double back and correct that mistake.  Seemed like if Adam hadn't picked up that something was wrong, they'd have ended up on that second flight instead.

They seem like a pretty competent team so far. Adam does have a nice body and I'm not going to object to eye candy. It took him taking his shirt off for me to see it but I think he's got a big of McConaughey about him. I also hope they don't make too much of a big deal of how she wants to be an inspiration. This is TAR, not Miss America, though it would be more warranted than Connor and Dave last season going on and on about the cancer and particularly the achilles tendon. Really, I just like seeing a competent female racer in a couples team. Obviously the shovel would have been difficult but I hope we get to see her tackle a bunch of challenges. I'm tired of seeing female team members who let their husbands do all of the physical challenges and then spend the whole of their challenges complaining.

And it may come up later, but right now there seems to be none of the "I'm doing this to prove that one-armed people can do anything."

I don't think she needs to go on TAR to prove that one-armed people can do anything. The rest of her life pretty much does that, I think. (But, yeah, I hope she never says it on the show. I hate it when people do that. It's right up there with testing your relationship.)

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 4

She probably wouldn't be able to drive most of the cars on the race since they are often standard. Even if  you can drive one-handed, I would think a standard transmission would be pretty difficult, particularly if they are in one of the places where they drive on the left side of the road and the left side of the car. It is her left arm missing, isn't it?

I hadn't heard about her before but was very impressed when she climbed the net at the rock with apparently no problem - I was worrying about it when I understood both team members had to do it, then she started, phone rang, I was away for 5 seconds and she had done it. So I still don't know how that is physically possible (did she wrap her legs around the ropes or something? how DO YOU climb this with one arm!?), but major kudos to her!  

• Love 1

I hadn't heard about her before but was very impressed when she climbed the net at the rock with apparently no problem - I was worrying about it when I understood both team members had to do it, then she started, phone rang, I was away for 5 seconds and she had done it. So I still don't know how that is physically possible (did she wrap her legs around the ropes or something? how DO YOU climb this with one arm!?), but major kudos to her!  

She appeared to sail through that rock and net climbing challenge. Clearly she's up for this Race. So far, she's extremely likeable - pretty, easy-going and cheerful, and hopefully CBS won't pound us repeatedly over what she's known for, et al.

• Love 4

And while it isn't surprising for someone who competitively surfs, I loved the fact that Bethany directed Adam to swim straight for the boat after she jumped off of the cliff - not just for the confidence in her swimming ability, but for showing some race intelligence.  (Task related, they biffed the airport related bit earlier.  And if they had been on the second plane, would Adam have gotten help reading his compass as easily?)

(edited)

Still cool, calm, and competent.  They pretty much dominated this leg quite deservedly.  Bethany, in particular, cleaned up at Pancake Race.  Nice job of them for having enough of a lead to get the Express Pass, too!

Also adored Bethany's brief glance and smile in Phil's direction when they passed him by. :)

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 3

Loved their smooth, non-dramatic, ultra-competent running of this leg. Glad they got the Express Pass (Producers surprised me by introducing it in the second leg after giving out the "Amazing Save" in the first). 

There are several teams - most of them, in fact - that I like, but they may be my favorites right now.

• Love 3
I loved that Bethany said she had been London before and there were pretty flowers

The way she said it sounded a little ditzy, but I might have said something similar because when I was in London, I was really taken with the amazing front-yard flower gardens. English gardeners can pack a lot of color into a teeny space.

• Love 1

Just read their bios posted at the top, and I'm just not feeling Adam.  He calls himself a "professional husband", which I find odd, and did he have to tell the world that Bethany sometimes chews with her mouth open?  What a gentleman.

• Love 2

Is Bethany allowed to drive?  I know people who wear a prosthesis who are allowed to get a license, but I don't know what the rules are for someone who does not wear one.

I have a friend who, when very young, lost her right arm at the shoulder. She is a licensed driver and, really, can do things most of us can't do with two arms. Someone upthread did bring up limitations with regard to a standard transmission, which is...well...pretty standard in other countries. I can see that possibly being an issue over a legal prohibition against her driving due to her disability. That said? My experience with my friend tells me that if the race takes them to a left-hand-drive country (as in the US, where the driver's seat is on the left, with the gear shift on the right), Bethany could, theoretically, still be able to shift the gears and kick ass driving.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 1

She probably wouldn't be able to drive most of the cars on the race since they are often standard. Even if  you can drive one-handed, I would think a standard transmission would be pretty difficult, particularly if they are in one of the places where they drive on the left side of the road and the left side of the car. It is her left arm missing, isn't it?

Did you, maybe, mean right-side drive? We drive on the right here in the US, but we sit on the left with the gear shift on the right, which *shouldn't* pose a problem for Bethany, who lost her left arm. I've driven my own standard transmission car with only my right hand before, so it's doable. It just takes a little more coordination.

Edited by Captain Asshat

Did you, maybe, mean right-side drive? We drive on the right here in the US, but we sit on the left with the gear shift on the right, which *shouldn't* pose a problem for Bethany, who lost her left arm. I've driven my own standard transmission car with only my right hand before, so it's doable. It just takes a little more coordination.

That's what I mean. I didn't want to say driving on the wrong side of the car and the road (even though that's how I think of it). I meant driving in a car that requires shifting with your left hand.

(edited)

Let's stop the mentions of Bethany's one arm, okay, Adam?  Bethany's not beating us over the head with it, so you shouldn't, either.

Good job by them to finish second, even though they have Amy & Maya's local guides to thank for giving them bad information.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 2

I continue to appreciate having this competent, positive team on the race. Bethany didn't really need to help out on the peat task but it was nice that she found a way to be useful on a task that could have been all about Adam. Even though they had a bit of trouble with the sheep they didn't get angry at each other or defeatist.

• Love 2

Wow.  Quite the drop for them.  But they suffered from failing the fuel challenge, switching the Detours, Adam's memory problems at the Roadblock (Bethany, that was one you could've done easily), and navigation.  It was relieving to see them finish seventh after all of that, but hopefully, they can recover on the next leg.

Still, for one leg, it was good to see them and Misti & Jim not be the top two, for a change.

• Love 1

I thought that when they decided who would draw the Roadblock, both acknowledged that Adam had the better memory.

I still love these two. There are quite a few teams I really like and respect, but they're the pair I most want to see win at this moment.

• Love 2

I think this was the first time we saw Bethany lose her cool a little when T&T tried to talk to her at the parking challenge when she was flustered.  Nevertheless, I still like this team, and it is more interesting to me that the race orders mixes up from time to time.  This week was less physical, so they will likely dominate again when that type of leg resurfaces.

Aside from her little blow up at T&T, I'm happy to see Adam and Bethany stay positive and supportive in spite of their struggles. Good on him for figuring out the flower pot needed to be turned around. I don't see how they could have gotten around the bike/cake task with her arm.

I think they made a good decision for Adam to do the roadblock. I remember Bethany telling other teams that she does not have good memory. Also its kind of insulting that people think she should do the less physical tasks. She may have only 1 arm but she looks very fit to me.

• Love 2
Also its kind of insulting that people think she should do the less physical tasks. She may have only 1 arm but she looks very fit to me.

I don't think people are underestimating her ability to complete physical tasks.  Bethany is awesome at them since she is so strong and coordinated.  But one can never tell in a race when there will be task that will be difficult with only one arm.  An example would be holding the cake on that bike.  If that had been a roadblock for one person, she would have struggled.  Thus people suggesting she could have done the restaurant one to avoid the risk of a future unknown task.  But if Bethany doesn't have a good memory, then it makes sense to just have Adam do that one.

• Love 2

While I continue to give Bethany great credit for what she can do with only one arm, please cease with the "Bethany is awesome" confessionals, now being given by other teams!  We don't need to be told, just shown.  And she's showing it enough.

That said, they were the only team who seemed to really pay attention at that Detour, and Bethany was smart to get someone to aid her at that Roadblock, because tying those hides did not look easy to do with only one hand.  A decent, easy second-place finish, with a win derailed only due to getting lost at the last minute.

Good work to them!

• Love 3

Bethany really is amazing - and I think she and Adam are coming across as sincerely nice, kind people - but I agree, Donny, that we don't need the hymns of praise from other teams' confessionals, though I do think it's nice how few teams engage in trash-talking each other.

I like that a lot of these challenges work out for them as much because they think clearly, observe keenly and work together well as because of physical ability or 'powering through'. 

• Love 2

While I continue to give Bethany great credit for what she can do with only one arm, please cease with the "Bethany is awesome" confessionals, now being given by other teams!  We don't need to be told, just shown.  And she's showing it enough.

That said, they were the only team who seemed to really pay attention at that Detour, and Bethany was smart to get someone to aid her at that Roadblock, because tying those hides did not look easy to do with only one hand.  A decent, easy second-place finish, with a win derailed only due to getting lost at the last minute.

Good work to them!

You make a really excellent point here, Donny!  I think the typical path of these things in our human social progress is usually a) dismissal, then b) overcompensating praise, and finally c) wholly unremarkable acceptance.  It's like gay characters on TV: first they were shunned or comic relief, then they became big news and people tried to showcase their bona fides as the Enlightened... and now no one cares, which is exactly as it should be.  For example, I always thought how "The Voice" season 1 handled its gay contestants was perfect: they just showed their partners, but didn't make a big deal about, any more than they would showing anyone's family or loved ones in the audience.  It was just the fact of "Here are the people who came to support our contestants", no matter who they were or how they looked.

The praise feels like the producers trying to sell us on how impressive Bethany is, which as you say they don't need to: Adam/Bethany are a friggin' beast of a team.  Quietly letting them shine on pure merit does more to teach us about overcome so-called disabilities than any overt talking head interviews.

• Love 6
we don't need the hymns of praise from other teams' confessionals

I agree, although in the midst of the glowy "Bethany is soooo amazing" speeches, Kym said, "Bethany is a BEAST." Made me LOL.

As far as the tea task is concerned, I thought that Bethany might actually have an advantage there--because if anyone has practice balancing heavy things with one hand, it's her. But even if that was to their advantage, they played that tea task wisely, watching the demo carefully, practicing, and asking for advice before they went for it.

• Love 4

Yeah, that was what I liked most about Adam and Bethany in this episode.  Practising and double-checking the Tea pouring technique before performing it for real.  It doesn't seem like any of the other teams had problems balancing heavy things with one hand though, even the weaker-looking people like Te Jay.

• Love 3

Is Bethany allowed to drive?  I know people who wear a prosthesis who are allowed to get a license, but I don't know what the rules are for someone who does not wear one.

Outside of the race, there is no reason why she wouldn't be able to drive.  There's technology to adapt vehicles to make it possible for almost anyone with the necessary cognitive, visual, and auditory abilities to drive.  I drive an adapted vehicle which is a standard "assembly line" car that had the adaptive equipment installed 13+ years after it rolled off the assembly line.

On the race, however, it could be a problem because adapted vehicles aren't readily available.

As a disabled person, I don't like the fact that the praise about Bethany is necessary, but if it acts as a stepping stone towards it no longer being necessary, I'm okay with it happening.

• Love 2

I always thought both race participants had to get an international drivers license to participate in the race, but maybe I am completely wrong about that? I can't remember where I got that idea.

As for this team-- I am beginning to get a little unnerved by just how calm, never at all frantic they are. Great to have a team that isn't constantly yelling but Adam and Bethany are scary in how laid back they are.

Favorite team right here. I just love the way they run the race. I really hope they don't get struck with race fatigue and have a big fight because it's nice to have someone to root for. Paying attention during the demonstration and practicing the tea pouring? Love them. 

Great to have a team that isn't constantly yelling but Adam and Bethany are scary in how laid back they are.

There have been a few comments here and there. I don't know if the majority of the freak outs are getting edited out or if they're capable of getting out their frustration and then dropping it.