Type keyword(s) to search

Frasier In The Media

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Ten episodes (that might be old news, but I didn't know it until now) starting on Oct. 12. 

https://ew.com/tv/frasier-reboot-first-look/

EDIT: Whoops, I should have read directly above! @AnimeMania already said 10 eps. 

Article above has an error in it suggesting that Frasier is on NBC, when it is on CBS/Paramount+. Frasier will air 2 episodes (and only 2 of it's ten episodes) on CBS on October 17, 2023 at at 9:15 pm ET. Frasier will stream 2 episodes on Paramount+ on October 12, 2023, then release one episode weekly.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't have Hulu, but I will watch the episodes that will be on CBS. Its better than nothing. I adored that show and I adore the character. 

Oh wait - is this going to be on actual broadcast cbs? If so, that’s great!  I’ve run out of paramount + free trials and was trying to decide if I wanted to actually pay for this. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh wait - is this going to be on actual broadcast cbs? If so, that’s great!  I’ve run out of paramount + free trials and was trying to decide if I wanted to actually pay for this. 

From what I heard, only the first two episodes. I'll take what I can get but I can't afford another streaming service. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I think he shows up very briefly.  The guy sliding down the fire pole at about a minute in might be him.  There's also a shot of Frasier teaching, and the student in the front could be the same guy.  David's supposed to be in college, so while it would be unusual for a student to be in his uncle's class, it could happen in real life, let alone a sitcom.

• Like 1

I can see some good potential with this trailer. I'm intrigued by the whole thing with Frasier and Freddie, and I like the British guy, too - obviously the Niles to Frasier in this version, but still, he'll be fun.

Yes, I'm among the many who'll miss the old "Frasier" crew, but I'll give this a look and see how this new setting continues things and whatnot. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Camera One said:

I'll give it a try, but if those were the funniest lines they could find in the episode, it doesn't look that great.  

Yeah...

Also, still desperate for the ladies, I see... ("I could be ready in five minutes")

And it's a small thing, but I thought his old apartment was far more tasteful (sans The Chair ofc).

Most importantly, I think the cast - Niles, Daphne, Martin, Roz - were crucial to the success of the old show. Not to mention the top-notch writers.

I'll check it out of course, but I'm not too optimistic. The good thing is I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does get good.

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 8

As much as I love Frasier, the clips are iffy. Though I did smile at Freddie's gf saying he smelled good, so maybe there's hope.  And I thought I read somewhere that James Burrows is directing the first episode,  another tiny hopeful sign. We'll see in a few weeks. 

• Like 2

It looks like one of the sets for the new show could be that bar that features in the trailer.  I wonder how they will explain Frasier not going to Cheers?

The trailer is giving me “Joey” vibes:  as in, it doesn’t look great, but when you consider the talent involved, you hope.  🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 2

Is anyone else disappointed the majority of the episodes will require a subscription to a premium channel?  Why can't all of them be on CBS like in the past?  I pay so much for the major networks, it just seems rude. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, AnnaCody said:

Is anyone else disappointed the majority of the episodes will require a subscription to a premium channel?  Why can't all of them be on CBS like in the past?  I pay so much for the major networks, it just seems rude. 

The intention is for it to air on the Paramount+ streamer. Most shows air on streamer networks these days. It’s only airing a first few episodes on CBS to draw people to Paramount+. 

• Useful 1

The idea that Freddy (who we knew from birth to age fourteen) becomes a strapping firefighter who drinks scotch out of a plastic jug is gonna take a while for me to accept. I know that Frasier is built around a fraught but funny father-son relationship, but it really would have made much more sense to me if David were the next-gen Crane boy to go into a physically demanding, blue-collar job.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, kariyaki said:

The intention is for it to air on the Paramount+ streamer. Most shows air on streamer networks these days. It’s only airing a first few episodes on CBS to draw people to Paramount+. 

Well that kind of manipulation is not going to work on me.  I'll wait until it comes out on DVD then borrow it from the library.  Might take years but I can wait. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, incandescent said:

The idea that Freddy (who we knew from birth to age fourteen) becomes a strapping firefighter who drinks scotch out of a plastic jug is gonna take a while for me to accept. I know that Frasier is built around a fraught but funny father-son relationship, but it really would have made much more sense to me if David were the next-gen Crane boy to go into a physically demanding, blue-collar job.

Freddie leaning in to the blue collar side of the Crane family seems like a perfect way to rebel against Frasier and Lilith. (At least on paper.) And I bet Martin would have encouraged him. 

My main problem with the clips so far is that KG doesn't really seem like he's quite recaptured Frasier. Of course, it could be that the character is trying too hard because of his son but I don't hear classic Frasier yet. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 9/17/2023 at 4:42 PM, tessaray said:

My main problem with the clips so far is that KG doesn't really seem like he's quite recaptured Frasier. Of course, it could be that the character is trying too hard because of his son but I don't hear classic Frasier yet. 

That's my problem, too.  Perhaps it is because I've rewatched Frasier so many times that any deviation from the OG feels somewhat 'alien.'  Hopefully Kelsey will 'warm up' as the season progresses, and his delivery will be more natural and consistent with the Frasier we knew. 

It's something I've noticed in most multi-season series.  The actors take a while to find their footing and really embrace the character.  Of course, Kelsey did play the role for >20 years, so it isn't like he's just now figuring out where to go with the character.  I really want to love the reboot so I'll hold out hope that he's just a bit rusty.

• Like 2

I'd also like to add that they need to find/rehire the old Frasier set designer.  Frasier's and Niles' apartments were timelessly stylish.  The sets were almost as captivating as the writing.

Frasier's new Christian Lacroix couch is blah.  Bring back the suede Coco Chanel.  I can't believe they ditched it in the reboot

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 9/16/2023 at 11:27 PM, incandescent said:

I know that Frasier is built around a fraught but funny father-son relationship, but it really would have made much more sense to me if David were the next-gen Crane boy to go into a physically demanding, blue-collar job.

It's funny, there's no real reason for me to picture it one way or another, but I always strongly pictured David as more like Hester in terms of personality and occupation. I wanted David to be able to appreciate and feel equally comfortable in both worlds. He would be a little closer to Frasier and Niles, but not by much. He would watch and cheer at rugby or soccer matches/games with his mom and her brothers (his uncles), but he wouldn't be playing. David would also be equally happy at the opera and symphony with Niles and uncle Frasier. 

Is anyone else as excited to see who/what David turned out to be, or is it just me? Maybe it's because he's a character with links to two characters from the original series that fans knew and loved, or maybe it's because Niles and Daphne were so different, there's a strong curiosity to see what kind of person their son turned out to be. 

This is really an add for the show, but also reveals a bit more about the new characters. 

• Like 1

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how David turned out, too, yeah :D! Especially given Niles and Daphne actually had a conversation at one point about what it'd be like if their son turned out like either one of them :p. Plus, it'll be a nice way to get at least some update on how Niles and Daphne are doing, too - even if they aren't going to appear in the show itself, just knowing they're doing well and still happy together would be enough to make me happy :). 

Thanks for sharing that Paramount video as well - I caught it when it aired on TV this weekend. It made me even more interested in the reboot, as there were a few parts that got a good laugh out of me. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out - just a few more days to go!

• Like 2
On 9/17/2023 at 4:42 PM, tessaray said:

Freddie leaning in to the blue collar side of the Crane family seems like a perfect way to rebel against Frasier and Lilith. (At least on paper.) And I bet Martin would have encouraged him.  

I really hope they don't ignore this well, but having worked in public service for a while, you quickly learn there are two major groups of people, those that do it because they can and it is important for them socially and those that do it despite it being a real hardship to them.

Freddie is the child of two wealthy professionals, he made a social choice without the actual hardship and I hope they make that point.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how David turned out, too, yeah :D! Especially given Niles and Daphne actually had a conversation at one point about what it'd be like if their son turned out like either one of them :p. Plus, it'll be a nice way to get at least some update on how Niles and Daphne are doing, too - even if they aren't going to appear in the show itself, just knowing they're doing well and still happy together would be enough to make me happy :). 

Nice to know I'm not alone. I hadn't thought about David being a way to update viewers on Niles and Daphne, but you're right. It would be easy enough for David to provide quick updates in a line or two of dialogue every now and then, especially when he's talking to Fraiser. 

1 hour ago, John M said:

Freddie is the child of two wealthy professionals, he made a social choice without the actual hardship and I hope they make that point.

I'm not sure I could see this in conversations Freddie has with Fraiser, but I could absolutely see it in conversations Freddie has with his girlfriend or if we have scenes of Freddie at work. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Wildcard said:

First review that I've read.

https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/frasier-revival-review-kelsey-grammer/

For better or worse, the review is kinda where I thought the series would land. Maybe, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Yes.

I have a few remarks that came up while reading the article:

1. Are they fuzzing with the timeline? How is Nile's and Daphne's son

Spoiler

only a freshman?

2.  Olivia

Spoiler

"Olivia, a woman whose primary character trait is jealousy of her unseen sister" — oy, sounds like they're desperately trying to replicate the Maris phenomenon.

5 hours ago, baldryanr said:

The finale was in 2004 - it doesn't take that much flexibility with the timeline. 

I agree. He could have started kindergarten at age 6, or done a gap year between high school and college. 

• Useful 1

Wow, I keep thinking the original show was even longer ago (and forgetting how long it actually ran).

And I'd like it if he'd done a year or more for travel or even just chilling. It would probably drive  his parents crazy. (I miss them already...)

• Useful 1

I know these all have holes but one that gets me and maybe they explain it, in the show timeframe besides the brief period where he practiced with Niles, Frasier hadn't practiced in three decades.

Doesn't Harvard generally hire professors that are like, actively publishing in the field?

I guess with his fortune as a TV celebrity before having obvious wealth prior to the radio show and the fact that he is teaching a freshman, he clearly doesn't need the money so maybe he was just hired as an extremely overqualified adjunct. 

• Useful 1
52 minutes ago, John M said:

I know these all have holes but one that gets me and maybe they explain it, in the show timeframe besides the brief period where he practiced with Niles, Frasier hadn't practiced in three decades.

Doesn't Harvard generally hire professors that are like, actively publishing in the field?

Practicing and publishing are two different things. He could have been writing articles/getting published between seasons. 

53 minutes ago, John M said:

I guess with his fortune as a TV celebrity before having obvious wealth prior to the radio show and the fact that he is teaching a freshman, he clearly doesn't need the money so maybe he was just hired as an extremely overqualified adjunct. 

Do we know for a fact that David is in his class? Even if David isn't in his class, your idea that he was hired as an overqualified adjunct would make a great deal of sense. 

• Like 1

Ouch.

CBS | Leading out of a steady Big Brother (3.1 mil/0.5), a special broadcast of the first two episodes of Paramount+’s Frasier revival retained just 2.1 mil/0.2 and 2.4 mil/0.2.

Hopefully this is because everyone already saw it on Paramount+ or one of the other places they posted it.

• Sad 1
50 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

Ouch.

Hopefully this is because everyone already saw it on Paramount+ or one of the other places they posted it.

I doubt they aired it for ratings but those numbers aren’t bad for a show that has already been available to stream for free and during a strike. The second episode got higher ratings than the first which is actually a pretty good sign. 

The fact that they are making it so easy to watch the first two episodes for free makes me think they have a lot of faith in the show and think it can drive new subscriptions.

1 hour ago, Dani said:
2 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Ouch.

I doubt they aired it for ratings but those numbers aren’t bad for a show that has already been available to stream for free and during a strike. The second episode got higher ratings than the first which is actually a pretty good sign. 

And it happened with little to no advertising and paired with a show that, let's face it, probably isn't the most likely companion. There are fans of Frasier and Big Brother that overlap but I'd guess it's probably not a majority.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I only saw that Frasier was on CBS about 15 minutes before it started as I was going through the t.v. guide.  I never saw an ad or anything, so was glad I was able to catch it.  Had there been more fanfare I think the ratings would have been better.

• Like 1