Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: A German Folk Song and an Actual Adult

Bort
  • Start Topic

Georgie goes on a birthday date and Mary confronts Brenda about her relationship with George. Also, Sheldon takes an interest in Missy’s favorite TV show.

Airdate: April 13, 2023

Well, I guess it's March...

Georgie singing to the baby and her little gummy smile was adorable.

"Mom said no music." (I actually knew that song, too. Die Gedanken sind frei = "thoughts are free")

"That one's upset because he's thirty years old and still in high school." 😄

Of course Sheldon gets sucked into 90210.

Glad to see Mary and Brenda hash things out. Does that mean she gets her job back?

• Like 15
  • LOL 1
38 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

She has the prettiest little eyes!  Georgie's smile when singing to her was priceless.  He's a good dad!  

• Like 19
  • Applause 1

Move over Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Could watch a whole season of Sheldon Cooper discussing 90210, with guest commentary by his dad.

And Mary and Brenda may wind up with a stronger friendship after the whole kerfuffle. Who'da thunk it?

Edited by MollyMelrose
Cuz I forgot the Science.
  • Like 15

I loved the cheat of listening to the music if you don't know if the actor is happy or sad. Especially when they had an example in the show. Do they usually have music? I seldom notice.

Everyone being concerned that the baby learns to clap four times for Deep in the heart of Texas was also adorable.

• Like 11
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Well, I guess it's March...

"Mom said no music." (I actually knew that song, too. Die Gedanken sind frei = "thoughts are free")

"That one's upset because he's thirty years old and still in high school." 😄

Of course Sheldon gets sucked into 90210.

Glad to see Mary and Brenda hash things out. Does that mean she gets her job back?

I thought it interesting he could be sucked into "90210", but not "Babylon 5".

• Like 3

I like this version of Georgie much better than how he was portrayed in TBBT.  

2 hours ago, appositival said:

I loved the cheat of listening to the music if you don't know if the actor is happy or sad.

It was nice to see Sheldon & Missy interact in that way.  He needs a lot of help in reading social cues!!

• Like 8
13 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

I wonder how Sheldon learned that German song in the first place 

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I actually knew that song, too. Die Gedanken sind frei = "thoughts are free"

I've never heard of the song that made it to the title of this episode: (wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Gedanken_sind_frei).

Is it just supposed to let us know that while all the soap opera is happening in his family, Sheldon is still on the path to being an erudite scholar citizen?

• Like 1

Sheldon getting sucked into 90210 while watching it for Missy was so good, I would love to have a subplot where Sheldon describes 90210 plots to Missy while Missy explains how to use music to understand what's going on in the scene. Those soaps really are addicting, even when they're stupid they suck you in. I liked seeing them interact like that. 

Georgie singing to baby CeeCee was adorable, she's such a cute baby. Such big eyes! 

• Like 7
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I would think/hope so. 

16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Sheldon watching 90210 for Missy and getting hooked because of his completion anxiety was gold.

I love Sheldon and Missy together. I want more of it.

3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

It was nice to see Sheldon & Missy interact in that way.  He needs a lot of help in reading social cues!!

What I love about them is that they complete each other and each has something to offer. I love the idea of Missy using TV to teach Sheldon social cues and social skills. I think it says a lot that Missy doesn't think Sheldon is hopeless or a lost cause. She believes that since he can learn everything else, he can learn this too. 

• Like 11
7 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

thought it interesting he could be sucked into "90210", but not "Babylon 5".

"Babylon 5" is a sore point with many SciFi fans and its creator. It was presented as the original concept for what became "ST: Deep Space 9," but was rejected, then became a competing show in its own universe. The debate over which is better continues.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

I enjoyed this episode. Sheldon and Missy spending time together was priceless. Missy got her information on 90210 without watching the show, and Sheldon receive a tip on social cues and how to understand them. Sheldon explaining it to George like an expert was funny since he had just learned about it himself.

Mary and Brenda needed to workout out their problems. Brenda was right about one thing that her talking to George was like Mary talking to pastor Rob. Hopefully they can move forward in a positive light, try to repair their friendship, and Mary can go back to work after their heated exchange. 

I liked the toned down episode with Georgie and Mandy. Georgie turning 18, A little baby CeeCee time, brief couples talk and Georgies' date. To bad Georgie and his date broke up. I actually like her character and thought they had good chemistry together.

Now that Georgie is 18, will he get his own place, Mandy and Georgie get a place together or Georgie continue living at home? Same with Mandy now that the baby is born would like to know her ambition and goal in getting back onto her feet and out of Connies house. 

• Like 6

Of course Missy had to be punished for running away and stealing the truck.  But it was disappointing to me that it didn't seem that neither George nor Mary took any time to try to find out what Missy was feeling and why she did what she did.  All Mary said was NO tv, NO music, No magazines, etc. 

The poor kid is really ignored so much of the time especially now that there is a new baby in the mix.  Sheldon gets a new computer and Missy was told they could not afford a new book for her.  They forget to pick her up at school and she walks home. Anything that seems to upset Sheldon is met with a "What's wrong, Baby?" from his mother but then Missy is told she can't wear certain clothes or go to a dance.  Sheldon can be terribly rude and nasty in his conversations with his parents, but he does not get told to shape up or stop it. 

It might be hard for the parents to have a serious talk with Missy as they might have to admit that they are a big part of the reason for her situation and feelings.   When Sheldon was having emotional problems, they took him to the cut rate psychiatrist to try to help him.  With Missy, they just take things away, threaten her and get mad.  I really feel for Missy in this situation. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

Sweet moment with Georgie breaking off his date to be with his baby and the baby mama.  I'm glad we're seemingly past this subplot of his dating other women and Mandy pushing him to do it.

I don't watch all of them, but I think Young Sheldon is currently the best sitcom on TV, even if it's close to being a comedy-drama at this point.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, appositival said:

I loved the cheat of listening to the music if you don't know if the actor is happy or sad. Especially when they had an example in the show. Do they usually have music? I seldom notice.

I hardly ever notice music. Even when I listen to a movie soundtrack, half the time I'm like, that song was in the movie?

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I've never heard of the song that made it to the title of this episode: (wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Gedanken_sind_frei).

I used to listen to the Freethought Radio podcast and they were big on that song.

Is this the first time we've seen Sheldon wearing his adult trademark short-sleeve t-shirt over a long sleeve? 

Blue NASA over a green T, a Green Lantern over a royal blue T, then a red Flash over a sky blue T.  No bow tie or button down in any of his scenes.  His style is evolving into grown Sheldon's.  

• Like 2

I enjoyed this episode but two things stuck out for me that irked.  Brenda had one helluva nerve.  I am glad she and Mary seem to have thrashed things out and that's good but her "we're neighbours, our children are friends, we need to get along" speech.  Just wow.  If anything she has been the one pursuing George and yet this episode made it seem like she was saying George just needed someone to talk to so she just happened to be the one he picked.  Not quite the way I've remembered their interactions!  

Which leads me to the other thing that bothered me.  Brenda is now Good Neighbour/Friend Brenda again and George is trying to be Good Husband George being supportive of Mary.  So why the hell did they even have all this "is this THE affair" thing?  I wouldn't have minded if they'd dropped the whole George is an adulterous drunk that we were expecting but why toy with this affair that wasn't really an affair if they weren't leading us to the George is an adulterous drunk plot?  Sheesh!

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
On 4/14/2023 at 9:45 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

If anything she has been the one pursuing George and yet this episode made it seem like she was saying George just needed someone to talk to so she just happened to be the one he picked.  Not quite the way I've remembered their interactions!  

She's probably trying to help George & Mary by making it seem less than what it was, and lessening the guilt she feels.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 4/14/2023 at 9:37 PM, possibilities said:

I'm surprised he can tell if the music is happy or sad. It's interesting that he can read the mood of music but not of people.

I figured that was where he was going to get tripped up also.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:53 PM, Chit Chat said:

She's probably trying to help George & Mary by making it seem less than what it was, and lessening the guilt she feels.  

She's not minimizing it though.  All they did was talk.  There was a moment when something might have gone farther but it didn't.

• Like 1
On 4/16/2023 at 6:53 PM, Chit Chat said:

That makes sense.  It was just a little weird to have her make it sound like he turned to her for comforting conversation when (a) well no and (b) a few episodes ago we find out she's been letting her friends think she has a boyfriend.  I think you're right though, she is trying to fix things and I just hope they stay fixed and we don't suffeer through yet another series of Will They/Won't They  episodes with George and Brenda.  The storyline second only to the "teen" pregnancy  one that almost ruins this show for me!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 2
44 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

She's not minimizing it though.  All they did was talk. 

If he hadn't had a heart attack, they probably would've slept together.  The flirtation was strong between them, and if Mary knew that it happened that way, she probably wouldn't have been so forgiving.  Although it didn't happen, that was a key piece of info that Brenda wisely left out!

• Like 2
On 4/14/2023 at 10:45 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

I wouldn't have minded if they'd dropped the whole George is an adulterous drunk that we were expecting but why toy with this affair that wasn't really an affair if they weren't leading us to the George is an adulterous drunk plot?  Sheesh!

I've realized that I'd be happy if TPTB decided we were in a multiverse where George doesn't screw around, even if he has to die.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, kwnyc said:

I've realized that I'd be happy if TPTB decided we were in a multiverse where George doesn't screw around, even if he has to die.

I would rather he didn't die either! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

If he hadn't had a heart attack, they probably would've slept together.  The flirtation was strong between them, and if Mary knew that it happened that way, she probably wouldn't have been so forgiving.  Although it didn't happen, that was a key piece of info that Brenda wisely left out!

I agree that Brenda "wisely" left out the near miss of a full blown affair. No good could come to anyone of her bringing it up. 
But now, reading through the above comments about this episode's conversation towards the repair of Mary and Brenda's friendship, combined with mentions/reminders of George's health, and with George's weight, diet, stress, beers, etc. combining to a likely critical medical event in his future, I am expecting George does die and Brenda and Mary somehow bond over it. 
Ugh. Not something I want to see. Let's just have it in a voice-over epilogue in the finale, if we must.

• Like 1

I thought it was a good play to have the Sheldon doesn’t understand nuances/pick up on cues as the B story to the A story reminding us how complicated George/Mary marriage is right now with each reaching out to others as they really aren’t in mesh. 

question for clarification: Is Mary still living at Meemaw’s and just showing up to house for kids sake? I don’t know if I missed she moved back in, but maybe she did? And I missed the cue?! Or perhaps an episode?

13 hours ago, pennben said:

I thought it was a good play to have the Sheldon doesn’t understand nuances/pick up on cues as the B story to the A story reminding us how complicated George/Mary marriage is right now with each reaching out to others as they really aren’t in mesh. 

question for clarification: Is Mary still living at Meemaw’s and just showing up to house for kids sake? I don’t know if I missed she moved back in, but maybe she did? And I missed the cue?! Or perhaps an episode?

After Missy ran away, Mary came home.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

...we don't suffer through yet another series of Will They/Won't They  episodes with George and Brenda.  The storyline second only to the "teen" pregnancy  one that almost ruins this show for me!

And the grants database. Pretty much a pointless waste of time.

• Like 1

I don't think George and Brenda are going to have an affair. I 100% think they may have attempted to hook up that night but in the end, regardless of the heart attack, I don't think George would have gone through with it.

Love Georgie and Baby Cece, and I 100% love that Georgie broke up with his girlfriend over the comments she made about him being "one of those dads". I hope the adult version of that character grew into a woman who realizes her version of what she was hoping Georgie would be like equates to being a terrible father. I'm along for whatever ride the writes bring us on for this story. I just hope it's not a tragic ending for Cece and Mandy.

Also, love Sheldon and Missy bonding over 90210. He can be a caring and loving (in his own way) big brother when he chooses to be. Missy deserved her grounding but man, missing 90210 was rough! If you didn't record it you were SOL.

As Young Sheldon goes on we're seeing more and more evidence that he is an unreliable narrator. Sure, he may have an eidetic memory but his memories do fade and cloud over time. The amount of drinking we've seen George do, combined with the family dynamics could be remembered by an adult the way adult Sheldon remembers his childhood. The affair could be so many things that don't end up being an affair. I know I mentioned it elsewhere, but it's possible George and Mary split up but not divorce and Sheldon walks in on George and his girlfriend, not his affair partner. Given Sheldon's love of contracts, in his mind that's cheating.

• Like 3
On 4/14/2023 at 5:12 PM, Kaycee said:

To bad Georgie and his date broke up. I actually like her character and thought they had good chemistry together.

Maybe it's just me but when they cut from the 90210 discussion to Georgie's date, I was struck by how much she looked like Shannen Doherty's Brenda character - to the point I thought they deliberately made her up that way!

Best wishes to real Shannen, of course...