Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Masked Singer in Space

• Start Topic

Honestly, I didn't really care that much for all 3 singers tonight, and I was almost sure UFO would be going out first, so I was surprised at the actual results. 

All of the songs felt rather weak choices especially for a space theme. I do wonder if not having a male singer limited them more; Elton John's Rocket Man was a given, but to not do Bowie's Space Oddity or Starman on Space Night is almost criminal. Really there are a lot of other choices that would have been more space-themed than "Yellow" and "Venus"  (I'm not as familiar with "Starlight" but I guess it gets more of a pass but there are probably a lot of better choices they could have done)

As for the final showdown, UFO did the better presentation of it in the end. Neither were particularly good but UFO pulled it off. In the end I think this third group was probably the weakest of the singers this season. 

• Like 4

I was surprised that Dandelion went out first, I thought she was the best of the three.  Lamp and UFO are definitely better than some of the mediocre singers they have had on this show, but they didn't blow me away.  Melissa Joan Hart in particular, yes, her voice is not unpleasant, but I felt like a lot of times she was just speaking singing.  But that might have been because of the "Venus" song, it's a fun and good song, but doesn't seem like it requires a lot of vocal talent, it's a good drunk karaoke song.

I really liked Alicia Witt's performance, she is the kind of celebrity that I think is perfect for Masked Singer.  Those who are famous but nobody really knew they could sing well, like Chloe Kim.

• Like 5

I thought Alicia Witt was the best out of the three. I was surprised that she went out first. I thought it would be Melissa. I agree with the battle results. Lamp and UFO are not professional singers but their voices were pleasant enough. UFO has a really pretty tone. I think she sounds better tone wise than Medusa who is supposed to be a professional singer. Medusa is a better performer though.

• Like 3

My mom and I were surprised Lamp wasn't the first voted out.  But I was fine when UFO went through of the two but thought Alicia Witt was better than both.

I also don't understand the lack of actual space songs but, meh.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that "Venus" was picked because of the planet; despite the song being related to the goddess. 

"Yellow" i think was picked because of its opening line ("Look at the stars...") but it's a really weak connection. 

• Like 1
On 4/13/2023 at 12:49 PM, milkyaqua said:

My mom and I were surprised Lamp wasn't the first voted out.  But I was fine when UFO went through of the two but thought Alicia Witt was better than both.

I think Witt's problem was song choice as the first one on stage. Hart came out doing something fast and bouncy that covered up any flaws in her voice and got the whole audience dancing, and Witt did a slower song IIRC. You can do a slow song after fast and bouncy, like UFO did, but not before. But maybe Witt wanted to be a two-and-done because she has other commitments.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

You can do a slow song after fast and bouncy, like UFO did, but not before. But maybe Witt wanted to be a two-and-done because she has other commitments.

I can see that.  But I supposed I was impressed that Alicia was playing keyboards and I do pay attention to tone and whether or not folks are hitting the notes.  I understand nerves but I like consistency and voices that seem to know/understand how to sing and even if someone is a good entertainer and can get the crowd into the performance, I'm still going to remember the technical aspects of it.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I can see that.  But I supposed I was impressed that Alicia was playing keyboards and I do pay attention to tone and whether or not folks are hitting the notes.  I understand nerves but I like consistency and voices that seem to know/understand how to sing and even if someone is a good entertainer and can get the crowd into the performance, I'm still going to remember the technical aspects of it.

I know they brought up the keyboard playing on the show, but when I was watching, I was wondering, is this real or is it fake and is she just miming playing the keyboard? Since they perform to a backing track, I don’t know how we could tell.

• Like 2