Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E05: Holiday Vacation

• Start Topic

(edited)
18 minutes ago, marybennet said:

I, too, want to know what “having a live” is. (Old and mildly Luddite but trying!) Don’t want to miss out on something else TC to watch or read or listen to. 

Sara's "lives" are on Instagram. So she talks in real time with another chef at a designated time, but then the recording is saved in her Instagram account so they can be watched later.

https://www.instagram.com/chefsarabradley/

Edited by jpgr
add insta link
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
20 hours ago, tljgator said:

I loved that Sara told her that it was like her food (from Kentucky), since it also reminded me of the fanciest Hoppin' John ever, lol (which, of course, we make in the South for good luck every new year, just as Victoire explained she does as well).

I'm jumping to the end, so I hope this hasn't already been covered. But the Hoppin' John has its roots in the culture of the slaves from Africa, so it makes perfect sense that it's similar to an African stew. 

Buddha was more off-putting than usual. He does not take criticism well. Very sour grapey.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

In TV production, handlers are quite obvious -- they were around Padma every few minutes to attend to her appearance (and yes, I was being facetious that we could all look as good as Padma with that many attendants).  It was just a stark difference to Gail and Tom who had no one fluttering around to take care of their appearance.  My friend who was there -- was part of the episode, spoke and was seen on camera -- is not one to exaggerate.  I shared just to inform interesting behind the scenes activity; not upset anyone.  I like Padma just fine.  

I live in L.A. and have happened on filming, and this is true. Ages and age ago, we were watching an old TV show taping one scene (over and over, as they do), and after every freaking take, the lead actors were swarmed with people touching up their hair, their clothes, their makeup. I believe it.

• Like 1

Goodness, I'm not a luddite but I am middle-aged and I'm not on Insta.  This whole time when people were talking about Sara's "lives," I just thought someone had a typo and Sara was having hives, from some nut whether it be legume or tree.  Phew, glad no more allergic reactions.  If you listen to the Pack Your Knives podcast, or are interested, Sara was a great guest this week, with some BTS insights, but very tactful and caring.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Daisychain said:

This whole time when people were talking about Sara's "lives," I just thought someone had a typo and Sara was having hives

Me, too! LOL.

4 minutes ago, Daisychain said:

Sara was a great guest this week, with some BTS insights, but very tactful and caring.

The Korean Boy band???

• Wink 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

Whelp yet another year of Top Chef with my favorite going down in flames early in the season. Begona seemed to thrive when she was in a situation where she felt free to let her imagination run wild, but when she had to reign it in, she didn't fare so well. Last week I thought she couldn't get too out there because she was in a team situation and had to listen to inputs from her teammates. This week it seemed that she took the holiday theme too literally and just served something that she made for her family during the holidays without trying to elevate it or put a twist on it. It could be that not being fluent in English caused her to misunderstand what was being required of her dish. When she was with the other chefs after judge’s table, it seemed like she had a hard time comprehending what the judges were telling her. Maybe the language barrier was also why she couldn’t coordinate so well with Charbel about the cooking times. Oh well, gotta hope she makes it through LCK.

I don't know why they had to make Tom do a dessert. It was a pot luck. If the judges nose got bent out of shape due to a lack of dessert, who were they going to penalize? As it was, the judges probably would have preferred another good main dish to the dense cake they got.

• Like 6
(edited)

Contestant Tom is hilarious! I hope he stays for a long time. He's so entertaining. I just cracked up everytime I saw him at the back, cooking his dense dense cake by himself. There is just something so funny about him plodding away, cheerfully making dodgy desserts that he's skeptical about. 

I normally like Buddha but his reaction to being in the bottom left me a bit 🤨🤨🤨He was incredibly defensive!

Love the Amar and Ali bromance which is unexpected because Amar seems very bubbly and loud whereas Ali is low-key and quiet. Must be a case of opposites attract!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Like 9
  • LOL 1

I knew Buddha was in trouble when his dish was the only one that didn't get an on air compliment.

I don't think Gabri was ever in danger of being eliminated, as they liked his tortillas and the fish.

I really like this group of chefs, this is the first time I like every one of the chefs at this point in the competition. But I'm obviously rooting for mah boy Buddha. I like Kentucky Sarah too. I wanted her to win her season & would love to try her food. That brisket looked yummy.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

I’m unclear on something, does Sylwia cook with potatoes?

"This is not Top Spud!"

Tom and Victoire charm me more with each passing week, so I'm hoping they can both hang in there a while longer. But all the cuts will hurt at this point—I didn't expect Begoña to be out this soon. And I wonder if this week's edit is setting up Buddha for a fall.

• Like 9
  • LOL 6

One thing I'm wondering... when the judges were walking through the kitchen Tom noticed that Gabri's mole looked like it was scorching. How scorched was it? Did Tom go into the tasting wondering if it would taste scorched and was really sensitized to it? No one else mentioned it. 

I am loving this season. This episode was really a good one. I also adore contestant Tom. There are very few chefs I don't like. I was sad to see Begona go.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Rambler said:

Maybe the language barrier was also why she couldn’t coordinate so well with Charbel about the cooking times.

She has a strong accent, but she seems quite fluent to me. I think she just doesn't like constraints or not being in charge.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Nicole is nice in the face interviews, but man i got the feeling she can be a little bossy-boots in the actual kitchen.

Yup- definitely been getting the impression that Nicole’s veneer of niceness/Canadian-ess is very, very thin.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

To clarify, I think cheftestant Tom is a strong player. That's why I'm surprised when he said he'd never won any challenge before -- ever! It made it sound like he hadn't won any on his original German season as well as this one. It's why I'm also surprised that he got cast, but there's generally great TV in the finalist who never won anything, especially if they're also good on camera. Which he is. I guess it could be like Bryan Voltaggio never winning a Quickfire despite the fact that he's one of the best technical chefs ever to compete.

The Fall of Buddha would be VERY compelling to watch -- and would wreck everyone's fantasy leagues as well.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 4/7/2023 at 1:31 AM, MerBearHou said:

I thought I’d share that I had lunch this week with a friend who was at last year’s taping of Top Chef-Houston.  My friend had so many interesting BTS stories — said that Gail and Tom were great and so friendly; the food was absolutely delicious; Dawn was so warm but frazzled; Buddha was very friendly and interesting to talk to; last but not least, Padma is stunning in person but my friend said that all of us would be as well if we had 12 handlers at our sides at all times!!  The handlers were tending to Padma every few minutes to make sure she looked perfect and tend to her every need.  Gail and Tom had zero handlers.  Thought y’all would find that interesting to know.  

I follow Padma on Instagram, and whenever she shares behind the scenes footage from the season, she always has at least one hair and one makeup person doing touch ups. But I will say, I love that she’s also not afraid to be seen without makeup! She regularly goes barefaced

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Maybe the language barrier was also why she couldn’t coordinate so well with Charbel about the cooking times. Oh well, gotta hope she makes it through LCK.

I think even if she understands English pretty well that it seems like a lot of International versions of TC didn't fully prepare them for THIS version of TC, the French guy in particular was very thrown by the kitchen (and several have mentioned this) and the shopping expectations, as was Gabri, I think he said they didn't even have to go shopping, and for example Gabri had difficultly locating ingredients that are native to Mexico in London. I'm sure Judges Table is also very different. But Buddah doesn't really have that excuse he just never made dish they disliked that much. I laughed so hard when they cut to Ali's face after tasting the salmon, the silent side eye. 

• Like 5

Glad to see I'm not alone in my appreciation for Tom, some of which I admit is because he is good looking.  His personality is coming through more every week and I admit I like it too.  Unfortunately that means Buddha, with his less than gracious attitude about being in the bottom this week has come down a peg or 2 in my heart.  Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later....

I absolutely LOVED Amar's Moroccan lamb shank dish and want the recipe.  It reminded me of a dish I used to make years ago and now want to reprise.  Just serve it with some couscous and I'll be happy.  It also reminded me of a lamb tagine my grandmother used to make.  Her Sicilian family lived in Tunisia for a while before coming to the U.S. and adopted some of the local cooking.  So for me that kind of cooking is part of my heritage.  I could just tell that Amar's dish would taste that good.

I was sorry to see Begonia go but to be honest she never stood out to me in any way so I'm not going to cry over it.  Although I do agree with some here that it was probably more Gabri's time to go than hers. 

I 100% agree that this show should have a blind tasting like TOC.  It's one of the things that makes TOC one of my favorite competitions and that's in spite of Guy's loud, obnoxious braying all the time (which says a lot).  Am I the only one that remembers "The Taste" from several years back?  That also had a blind tasting but the rest of the show had its issues in my opinion.  

I'm still loving this cast.  Each and every one of them could be "most interesting chef in the world" as far as I'm concerned.  I loved it when someone above said that Victoire was an interesting person even next to an entire room of interesting people.  So true, I've said that myself!

I'm also loving the locations.  I've been to Kent.  Next week it looks like they're going to be at Fortnum and Mason for a while.  I've been there too a few times.  Once I had afternoon tea there with my Mom.  It was everything I wanted it to be.  I hope they also go to the food halls at Harrod's.  Another place I'd love to see again.

• Like 9

Hi friends, Happy Easter if you celebrate, also just past Pesach (Passover), for Sara, the Paducah Jew (per the Kentucky season, I did not make that up).  I looked for a general discussion channel for Top Chef and didn't see it.  My issue is this:  did at some time on the show or Last Chance Kitchen Gail mention that there is a sort of normal 20% tip?  Or somewhere in the media. 

I am absolutely bedeviled with what are you supposed to tip?  If I go to a great restaurant and have wonderful service, I will tip all day long.  But normally, I'm at my office, I put in an online order, and they ask for a tip.  Despite the fact that I or a colleague group have to walk over there and pick up our own food off a shelf.  There is no service aspect whatsoever, this happens 5 days a week even if you get an Einstein bagel and have to crank up the tip to increase the cost of bread by $2.  

What is a good tip?  I know restaurants have tried to take this issue on unsuccessfully.  Please, pay your employees a sustainable wage for them and their families, and don't ask for a tip for nothing.  Just charge me for whatever your staff's healthy, fair salaries cost, I would not mind that at all.  Or some worldwide standard?  So you don't have to choose between 15% and 30%, even when you pick up your own meal.

Gosh, I am a crankypants.  This just happened yesterday as my group had to work the weekend and ordered salads (delicious), with a tip? which salads we picked up.  My son is a SpongeBob fan and he would say I'm a Crabby Patty.

• Like 6

I am so glad that I ate before watching this episode because I would have been ravenous (and probably run out and gotten way too much take-out) after watching this as everything (with just a couple of exceptions) looked so appetizing and delicious.  I wanted it all (even the exceptions!).  Top Chef needs to come up with some kind of technology that allows us to order and eat the dishes we are watching while watching.  

I like salmon (try to have it once a week) but did not think Buddha's looked appetizing.  I would not have ordered that in a restaurant.  I also didn't appreciate his bit of attitude about the judging.  I wonder what the other chefs think of him.  Amar very succinctly told him 'if they ask for family style give them family style.'

I like the real friendships that are developing amongst some of the competitors, and I really love potato chef's sense of humor about herself and her potatos (a sweet potato is still a potato).  I also liked that Tom just took the dessert course as he had immunity.  I was also impressed with what the chefs were able to make with the limited budget they had.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Top Chef needs to come up with some kind of technology that allows us to order and eat the dishes we are watching while watching.  

I'm normally not an adopter of new technology right away, but I'd be first in line for this app. Heh, an app for my app(etite)!

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

Re: The tipping.

A real restaurant with service: at least 20%

An order that I call in and pick up myself: No tip. I did the tip work myself. The cooks did the actual work and they make an actual wage. Granted it usually isn't a great wage, but their issue is with their boss, not me.

• Like 3
On 4/8/2023 at 10:07 PM, Yeah No said:

I 100% agree that this show should have a blind tasting like TOC.  It's one of the things that makes TOC one of my favorite competitions and that's in spite of Guy's loud, obnoxious braying all the time (which says a lot).  Am I the only one that remembers "The Taste" from several years back?  That also had a blind tasting but the rest of the show had its issues in my opinion. 

I remember "The Taste".  I also think that all cooking shows should have blind tasting.  Yes, it's going to be obvious sometimes who cooked what, but there should be some attempt at impartiality.

9 hours ago, Daisychain said:

Hi friends, Happy Easter if you celebrate, also just past Pesach (Passover), 

Still Pesach here.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Daisychain said:

What is a good tip?  I know restaurants have tried to take this issue on unsuccessfully.

From time immemorial I have always heard everywhere (and in the past 30 years that includes online) that the standard tip amount in a restaurant is about 15 - 20% of the total check.  Many of us remember those "tip tables" we used to somehow find ourselves with that came on credit card sized cards to put in one's wallet.

That's interesting that Sara is a Jew from Paducah.  I had a Jewish therapist once that came from Kentucky.  He told me there was a decent sized Jewish community where he grew up although I forget where that was now.

• Like 1

i'd be so happy trying any of these chefs' dishes. seriously, i do not care if the judges say garbage, i would have faith in the chef they have a taste they are going for and i would sample that.

i like tom tho he does seem to be on a high horse at times - you are a good chef yes, but pay attention to what the chefs tell you. ditto for buddha.

big yes on tipping, wait staff is paid CRAP and they put up with any attitude their patrons have (unllike other jobs where you can hang up or walk away) so please tip at least 15%.  a lot of these people are raising families.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This was a fun episode, especially with the chefs interacting while cooking in the VRBO.  I would have been a nervous wreck to have to share that space with so many chefs and types of preparations.  The judges got to know the contestants better, as well.  I'm glad they are inviting guest judges from other Top Chef franchises, so the judging hopefully isn't skewed toward the American chefs they already know (but I'm not seeing any evidence of that, anyway).  

• Like 3

I would have loved Buddha's dish, because I love fish and fresh ingredients mixed as a salad. I think if Buddha would have flaked the salmon and mixed it with the ingredients with a light dressing and made it a side it would have been more appreciated. I think the judges just felt it was fish with a bunch of crap on top of it and not integrated.

Chicken NEVER wins or comes close on Top Chef. You make chicken, you are really really risking it. Not sure why she made chicken given she knows the Top Chef shtick.

Buddha definitely took the comments from the judges personally--  the judges knock on each other at times, so it just goes with the territory. But it can be tough if you are used to always being the best or one of the best dishes. I think it took it fairly well given how much they hated his dish. LOL.

• Like 3

Sorry to see Begona go.

Now for two (probably unpopular) opinions.

1) Colicchio’s snark/criticism of the dessert in front of the other chefs. It’s one thing to make snide, smirky comments at Judge’s Table, out of earshot, quite another to do so in front of the chef’s peers. “The cake tastes dense.” That’s all that needed to be said. Tom, having immunity, did everybody else a favor by taking the course that isn’t a strong suit of most chefs. 

2) Buddha. Neither here nor there on the man until this episode. But his attitude at judging was arrogance in the extreme, and off-putting. From that moment I was hoping he would be packing his knives. His response to the observation that the salmon didn’t fit with the rest of the dish, and too much was going on  — “I didn’t intend for it to be eaten that way.” I get SOOO tired of that fallback excuse when a dish fails. In either case, the diners are not mind readers. All they see is what’s on the plate.

But what really put me off was his comment offstage about a “top chef” vs. a “home chef,” as if one is of more importance than the other. Again, it was CYA for his bruised ego and sour grapes over a poor dish. That elitist, dismissive comment is now making me root for Buddha’s departure at the first opportunity. Loved Sarah basically shutting him up by mentioning the seasoning.

Edited by RoseAllDay
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

But what really put me off was his comment offstage about a “top chef” vs. a “home chef,” as if one is of more importance than the other. Again, it was CYA for his bruised ego and sour grapes over a poor dish. That elitist, dismissive comment is now making me root for Buddha’s departure at the first opportunity. Loved Sarah basically shutting him up by mentioning the seasoning.

What's particularly immaterial about his comment is that no matter what, you have to follow the brief and that's what you're judged on.  So if you're instructed to cook something in a particular way, you do it.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

Sorry to see Begona go.

1) Colicchio’s snark/criticism of the dessert in front of the other chefs. It’s one thing to make snide, smirky comments at Judge’s Table, out of earshot, quite another to do so in front of the chef’s peers. “The cake tastes dense.” That’s all that needed to be said. Tom, having immunity, did everybody else a favor by taking the course that isn’t a strong suit of most chefs. 

2) Buddha. Neither here nor there on the man until this episode. But his attitude at judging was arrogance in the extreme, and off-putting. From that moment I was hoping he would be packing his knives. His response to the observation that the salmon didn’t fit with the rest of the dish, and too much was going on  — “I didn’t intend for it to be eaten that way.” I get SOOO tired of that fallback excuse when a dish fails. In either case, the diners are not mind readers. All they see is what’s on the plate.

Well, they were all there, eating together.  Why didn't he show them how to plate his "salad," then?  Sounds a bit fishy! 

• Like 1
On 4/18/2023 at 5:38 AM, RoseAllDay said:

Sorry to see Begona go.

Yes, agree with the above.  First of all, @RoseAllDay, your dog's face looks the exact shape of my dog's face - but she has a bit more tan than black.  So obviously DogRoseAllDay is a champ. 

Tom C., has so many years of times when he has to be blank-faced and times when he gives good heartfelt advice.  Sometimes I wonder now if he saves the warm part of his personality for LCK.  Padma is reactive and authentic, Gail is tactful and constructive, and Tom is somewhere in the middle or to the left of Padma that doesn't always translate but is always taken seriously.

Buddha, coming across as defensive right now.  I think he is an exceptionally talented chef but it reminds me of when I went from being one of the best writers in my high school to being a good/needs improvement writer in my college.  Unforch defensive is never a good look, including for me in middle age.  

That "home chef" business should have reminded him of when he won the beach house (??) family challenge in season 19, when he made pasta amatriciana per his wife's taste.  Perfect and just what the home chef ordered via a restaurant chef.  

Tomorrow may tell, but I really like Sara's relaxed vibe right now.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Daisychain said:

Yes, agree with the above.  First of all, @RoseAllDay, your dog's face looks the exact shape of my dog's face - but she has a bit more tan than black.  So obviously DogRoseAllDay is a champ. 

Yes, I noticed @RoseAllDay's avatar, but we recently (just last Friday) lost our mostly dachshund, Max, and I'm a little raw still. I hope yours is still with you, Rose.

• Hugs 5
  • Sad 6
9 hours ago, carrps said:

Yes, I noticed @RoseAllDay's avatar, but we recently (just last Friday) lost our mostly dachshund, Max, and I'm a little raw still. I hope yours is still with you, Rose.

I'm so sorry @carrps.  Losing a pet is so gutting.  Max is no doubt in Dog Heaven.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Daisychain said:

I'm so sorry @carrps.  Losing a pet is so gutting.  Max is no doubt in Dog Heaven.

Thank you! And a big thank you to everyone for your sympathy. It's really hard. We thought he was going to be our "easy" dog. He turned out to be the hardest...in the sense of health issues. But he was a very sweet boy, and I wouldn't have missed a minute. No doubt he's cavorting in doggy heaven.

• Hugs 7
  • Love 3
On 4/6/2023 at 9:37 PM, virginia blue said:

Top Chef really should introduce blind judging. I think the outcomes would be much different. There is a fairly obvious bias against female chefs.

Blind judging is my favorite thing on Tournament of Champions and I wish they could do it here.

• Like 3
  • Love 1