Type keyword(s) to search

Summer Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Maya said:

The balloon twist was strange. Why did so many people make the weird little gel blobs? 

They were trying to make boba pearls. Honestly, I can't think of many other ways to make an edible water balloon that wouldn't take a lot of time and effort, especially given how much the judges absolutely despised the one lady's chocolate melt balloon shape.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Starry-Eyed said:

They were trying to make boba pearls. Honestly, I can't think of many other ways to make an edible water balloon that wouldn't take a lot of time and effort, especially given how much the judges absolutely despised the one lady's chocolate melt balloon shape.

Maybe if they had more time, they could have done "balloons" out of sugar. 

• Like 5
17 hours ago, tinderbox said:

What happened to Damaris?  Mean Girl vibes!  Yikes.

I wonder if Karla is the designated kooky one and Damaris, as the Newby to the show, has been told to be the harsh judge.  

• Useful 5
On 5/17/2023 at 8:22 AM, mojoween said:

The guy who didn’t even do the twist wasn’t even the one who was bounced, yeah?  Which further shows how dumb the twist was.

I thought he didn’t have to do the twist as he won the pre-heat.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, zenten said:

I thought he didn’t have to do the twist as he won the pre-heat.

Kyle (tall, glasses, ponytail), who did the above ground pool for his water feature and was in the bottom two for the first episode, was not the pre-heat winner but also had no twist. He tried to do it but his water balloons didn't come together. He was saved because his dessert otherwise tasted great, as opposed to the woman who did go home (Lisa), who had salami-like gelatin in her cake and only managed very basic modeling chocolate water balloons.

Edited by tracyscott76
Added Lisa's name
1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

Kyle (tall, glasses, ponytail), who did the above ground pool for his water feature and was in the bottom two for the first episode, was not the pre-heat winner but also had no twist. He tried to do it but his water balloons didn't come together. He was saved because his dessert otherwise tasted great, as opposed to the woman who did go home (Lisa), who had salami-like gelatin in her cake and only managed very basic modeling chocolate water balloons.

Yea, that gelatin did her in. 

• Like 1
On 5/16/2023 at 8:06 PM, joanne3482 said:

I feel like I was taking crazy pills every time Kyle said he was making a macaron ice cream sandwich. I've made macaron ice cream sandwiches.  I love them. That was not a macaron. It had no feet. It spread. 

It looked like a slightly thicker tuile to me. I definitely thought they would not like the look of it.

• Like 4

I wish that they would tell the bakers the twist at the beginning of the challenges, so they can incorporate it without ruining the rest of their cakes or whatever they're making.     I also wish they would give them more time, so they can produce their best work. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 5

I've never watched to many of these but since Yohann works for the same people I do, I'm here for him.

I always find that I tend to prefer baking shows more than other challenges because everyone is just nice and encouraging to each other. I like that vibe. Im going to go against the grain and say that I'm not a particular fan of Kyle. There's just something about him that is very grating to me. And I haven't been that impressed with some of his stuff. All I could think of with the log was that it reminded me of Christmas. Like why is there a Christmas cake on the plate? Between that and the macarons that weren't macrons.... The lemon inlay was very cute though.

• Like 4
On 4/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I was looking forward to the Summer Backing Championship, but Damaris is an automatic click for me.  I absolutely cannot stand her, so I guess I won't be watching.

I stumbled across this and was going to change channels because I had resolved never to watch again if Nancy Fuller was judging.  I don't mind Damaris and thought she was fine.  Personally I wish more judging was honest without being harsh, which I felt it was from all the judges.  I didn't think Damaris was rude.

• Like 16

I am not liking Damaris at all. She seems perpetually cranky and I can't say she's an improvement over Nancy. I know pickin's are slim, but what about Stephanie or Zac? Or Maneet? She's an actual trained pastry chef. That said. It's interesting that FN has never paired another male judge with Duff. Why not?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

It's interesting that FN has never paired another male judge with Duff. Why not?

I know it has been in the past a cliche that pastry was for women. It wasn't manly or something. I thought we'd gotten over that, but maybe some of that attitude remains?

Kyle definitely tried to make macarons, but he failed. They spread. And serendipitously he ended up with a decent cookie. His lemon design helped for sure.

20 hours ago, carrps said:

Kyle definitely tried to make macarons, but he failed. They spread. And serendipitously he ended up with a decent cookie. His lemon design helped for sure.

I'd have to go back and watch it again but did he serve it as a macaron ice cream sandwich?  noticing how much they spread and the lack of feet I would've just called it a dacquoise and hoped to slip it past the judges :p

2 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

I'd have to go back and watch it again but did he serve it as a macaron ice cream sandwich?  noticing how much they spread and the lack of feet I would've just called it a dacquoise and hoped to slip it past the judges :p

I'm pretty sure he described it to the judges as a macaron sandwich. But don't hold me to it.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, carrps said:

I'm pretty sure he described it to the judges as a macaron sandwich. But don't hold me to it.

He totally did. I was expecting them to rip him for it. They did not. It bothered me because usually they're so specific about how if you say something is a something, macaron, eclair, dacquoise, etc it should actually be that thing. 

• Like 5
(edited)

I'm watching the reruns of episode 1 and 2.  Zoe's raw cake isn't a bit undercooked in the center the way she said, over half of the entire centers are raw, and then she just dumps her filling in the middle.   I hope none of the judges got sick from eating it.   

Alyssa's cake is even more spectacular seeing it again.   Yohann's ice cream sandwich was spectacular.  SOme of the Paris-Brest look beautiful.   I like that Damaris said she was wrong about Yohann's desert.  Kyle either produces a spectacular dessert, or a total flop.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
(edited)

You know your elimination is pretty obvious when they don't even bother with a bottom two. I felt for Kyle since everything went wrong, but I won't be sorry to see the end of the "baker bros" silliness.

When the judges kept telling Carlos they wanted more grapefruit, all I could hear was Christopher Walken 😆

My favorite is still in it!

Wanted to add that I thought their s'mores desserts were all very inventive and looked/sounded good!

Edited by tracyscott76

The different pronunciations of Paris-Brest cracked me up.  I think I’d follow Yohann’s lead on that, y’all.

Poor Kyle — like literally zero suspense on who was going home.  Might be the most obvious boot in a long, long time.

The judging was much better tonight, I thought.

• Like 13

Damaris seemed more herself tonight. Still too much eye makeup. Makes her look tired. Poor Kyle, he must have taken a long time making his pate a choux since he had so little time at the end. 

• Like 2

Darn.  I liked Kyle and, based on the first two episodes, thought he'd go a long way but he was the clear and only choice for elimination.  I don't recall seeing a single person on the bottom before but I was glad they went right to it instead of calling two people out first which would have been a charade.

I don't like twists but at least adding nuts was doable unlike some of the things the producers have come up with in previous seasons.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

The different pronunciations of Paris-Brest cracked me up.  I think I’d follow Yohann’s lead on that, y’all.

Actually, the two non-native English speakers (Yohann and Carlos) both Anglicized the pronunciation of Paris, rather than most of the rest who went for the French-style pronunciation.  I was intrigued by the idea of John making a Paris Braise (which morphed into a Paris Bray).  😁

• LOL 6

Well that elimination wasn't very suspenseful! Poor Kyle! I liked him but what a bad idea and what a bad result. Not only was there no decoration it wasn't even cooked through. 

Carlos and the grapefruit.... he did try but it wasn't working. I think he was lucky Kyle's dessert flopped. 

Judging was better, Damaris seemed more herself. 

• Like 4

I feel so bad for Kyle.  I really liked him, but he didn't seem to be able to handle the timed competitive stress.  I was glad to see how gently the judges treated him, knowing (and Kyle knowing) that he completely bombed it.

I think Damaris is doing fine as a judge.  I'm kind of glad to see another person in the judging mix.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

Caramel apple screams FALLLLLLL to me [/Nancy].  I’m sure it was quite tasty though.

”I love making Paris-Brest.  I live inside of a Paris-Brest.  So excited for this competition.”  Any doubts that he was *not* going to kill it?

The music that is played when the show comes back from break feels a little aggressive for a summer show.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Caramel apple screams FALLLLLLL to me [/Nancy].  I’m sure it was quite tasty though.

”I love making Paris-Brest.  I live inside of a Paris-Brest.  So excited for this competition.”  Any doubts that he was *not* going to kill it?

The music that is played when the show comes back from break feels a little aggressive for a summer show.

Yes! Caramel apples are fall!!

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Yes! Caramel apples are fall!!

They're also pretty common at summer carnivals, which is what Alyssa was going for.

It is never fair to give someone grapefruit and someone else apple.  One is inherently easier to bake with than the other.  Besides grapefruits are more a winter fruit than summer and apples are more a late summer/early fall.  Why not peach, apricot, plum, tangerine, nectarine ,or watermelon (next week)?  They like to use some unusual combinations.  I'd just like them to expand their idea of fruit flavors to some actual available in summer

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

They're also pretty common at summer carnivals, which is what Alyssa was going for.

True, but it still felt more fall to me. 

10 minutes ago, pally said:

It is never fair to give someone grapefruit and someone else apple.  One is inherently easier to bake with than the other.  Besides grapefruits are more a winter fruit than summer and apples are more a late summer/early fall.  Why not peach, apricot, plum, tangerine, nectarine ,or watermelon (next week)?  They like to use some unusual combinations.  I'd just like them to expand their idea of fruit flavors to some actual available in summer

Peach would be a lovely flavor to use. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, pally said:

Wasn't Carlos one of the two winners who got to choose their flavor, so he brought the curse of the grapefruit on himself?  (I may well be wrong.)

• Like 8
Just now, Leeds said:

Wasn't Carlos one of the two winners who got to choose their flavor, so he brought the curse of the grapefruit on himself?  (I may well be wrong.)

That's correct. He chose grapefruit intentionally.

17 hours ago, laredhead said:

Poor Kyle, but why on earth would he try frying that dough?

Since he obviously made two dough rings, it would’ve made sense to fry one and bake the other.  That way, if frying didn’t work, he still would’ve had a nicely done (if more conventional) pastry.

• Like 14
1 minute ago, TomGirl said:

Since he obviously made two dough rings, it would’ve made sense to fry one and bake the other.  That way, if frying didn’t work, he still would’ve had a nicely done (if more conventional) pastry.

I would have done that. Try something different but have a back up plan. I guess he was really gung  ho on the frying. 

• Like 4

Yeah, poor planning on Kyle's part. He did say he had fried them before, but with the stress of the show I wouldn't have tried something so different without a back up in the wings.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 5/22/2023 at 2:56 PM, joanne3482 said:

He totally did. I was expecting them to rip him for it. They did not. It bothered me because usually they're so specific about how if you say something is a something, macaron, eclair, dacquoise, etc it should actually be that thing. 

Kyle seems like a nice guy but couldn't get his stuff together. He failed to get 2 of the twists done on 2 previous challenges. Ran out of time to get decorations done on one of the bakes. The macarons were not macarons at all. I was talking back to the tv for 3 minutes when the judges gave his macarons a pass. Additionally, they weren't inlay cookies. He piped the lemon design. Didn't Carla ding another baker's dish for not being an inlay? They didn't say that to Kyle. Instead, they gave him the win. wtf.

In the gelatin challenge, Kyle trimmed his gelatin mold down so it would fit in his kiddie pool. So why not take the left over gelatin and use a melon baller to make little balloons? A missed opportunity that was an easy fix. 

Kyle frying the dough the middle was raw. His juice gelee was frozen. His chocolate cremeux was too loose. He didn't do the nut twist. Such a spectacular fail. I'm so glad Kyle is gone. I'd like to forget he was ever there.

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Like 5

Kyle said he had fried pate choux before, but never one of that size.  I think that's where he misjudged his ability to do that.  Of course, as has been pointed out, he had trouble with that entire recipe.

• Like 4

I only made it through part of each episode so far. Is Damaris still talking cause it seemed like she never shut up.

Does she have to be the first one to speak every time?  Geez. Also not liking Duff  so much this time around. Maybe he's tired of  the format.

• Like 1

John can go anytime.  Between the godawful Philly accent and him trying way too hard to be hip (saying Daddy-o ad nauseum), I'm over him already. 

From the first show, I liked Kyle the best, so naturally, he's toast.  He seemed pleasant, and he reminded me of a good friend's son, so I guess I just gave him extra brownie points for that!  (Don't you just love my totally irrelevant judging criteria?)

I don't really know anyone else well enough yet to care.

I agree with everyone wondering about the new Damaris persona.  Having watched her from day one when she was on The Next Food Star through all her many appearances on skeenteen other shows, she's always seemed very upbeat and sweet, so I'm also thinking she must have been told to be mean.  

Mainly, I'm enjoying not seeing Molly, Kardea or Nancy anywhere!

• Like 5

I liked Kyle at first, but after this last episode with the constant "baking bros" references and screaming "SUMMER!" into the camera, I was done with him. Honestly, I was glad he went home. If he got this obnoxious from the first episode to this one, I can't imagine how unbearable he would have been as the competition went on.

Damaris seemed more relaxed this episode. I still hate the editing. The judges didn't like John cracking the brittle and laying it at an angle on his Paris-Brest. Alyssa had a similar decoration setup and we didn't see the same comment on her dessert. Not that I don't like Alyssa or had a problem with her decorations. I just want some consistency for goodness sake!

Anrika and Ally are my favorites right now. I think they're creative and put interesting flavors together.

I feel like the bakers improved the quality of their results so it seems like they're settling into the competition. I don't see anyone standing way out talent-wise above the others; I like a nice healthy competition.

• Like 5

Does anyone know whether the judges get a close-up look at the desserts, either by walking over to them (unlikely) or having the trolley wheeled over to their table?  The desserts are shown so far away when they are presented and sliced, it seems like the judges can't possibly get a necessary close-up look.  Why can't they just present them up close and personal a la Great British Bake Off?

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Does anyone know whether the judges get a close-up look at the desserts, either by walking over to them (unlikely) or having the trolley wheeled over to their table?  The desserts are shown so far away when they are presented and sliced, it seems like the judges can't possibly get a necessary close-up look.  Why can't they just present them up close and personal a la Great British Bake Off?

There must be a walk by. The judges often comment on design details that are best seen close up. 

• Like 4
17 hours ago, TomGirl said:

Always have a Plan B, especially when you're attempting something so unusual!

There's gotta be like the 10 Commandments of going on a cooking/baking competition show... straight-up cooking skill is important, sure, but it's just as important to be flexible and understand the constraints of the specific challenge.  I don't know how many times I've seen contestants cook like a 6" deep cake in a 45 minute challenge and think to myself... welp, GOOD LUCK!  

• Like 5

I’m behind on the episodes, but thought the crab donuts were adorable.

Also, loved the decorating on the Gone Fishing cake.  The idea of mixing gelatin and cake makes me a gag a bit. So, glad that challenge is out of the way.  Then again, I don’t like many flavors mixed together in my desserts. Guess I have an unsophisticated palate which makes these silly twists and time restraints more annoying since I’m more here for the decorating and ideas. IRL I’m happy with plain old chocolate cake, doesn’t need blood orange bits in a matcha soak with a tarragon glaze lol 

I Don’t mind the new judge, never saw her before. I agree with nearly all of her criticisms. And none of the contestants annoy me, so far.

As always, Duff’s facial expressions when taking a bite crack me up. 

• Like 6

I was wondering why Kyle didn't flip his ParisBrest and cook it on the other side? It was like a giant doughnut anyway. That's probably why it didn't cook through. That was certainly a sad sad sad presentation.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Pi237 said:

Guess I have an unsophisticated palate which makes these silly twists and time restraints more annoying since I’m more here for the decorating and ideas. IRL I’m happy with plain old chocolate cake, doesn’t need blood orange bits in a matcha soak with a tarragon glaze lol 

To be honest, I've never had cake like that, with a bunch of different flavors and textures.  The most I've ever had is nuts or a fruit sauce on top, I think.  Out here in the "wild", most of the cakes are "plain old" cake.

• Like 7