Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Connor's Wedding

• Start Topic

Before heading to Europe to meet with Matsson face-to-face, Logan tasks Roman with implementing an unsavory first step in his strategic refocus. Meanwhile, Connor fixates on minutia at his wedding.

Airdate: 04/09/2023

Holy hell. . . . that was freakin' amazing. And completely unexpected. And no leaks, which made it so powerful -- no one saw that coming. 

But the big question remains . . . now what???? This is gonna be nuts. 

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Like 20
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

In fact, it took me about half the episode to believe it wasn't some Logan Roy fakeout of his kids. 

Same. First I thought Tom was messing with them for some reason, and then every time that plane cabin door opened I thought he’d have been revived somehow.  

I thought it was interesting that Shiv seemed to take all the hard tasks once she was in the know.

• Like 24

not sure if it was pointed out before, but with all the phone calls, I was paying attention for Apple's "no bad guy" rule about who gets to use an iPhone. Apparently The Roy kids and Greg (much to my chagrin) are good, but Tom and Gerri are bad guys according Apple.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 12

Watching the siblings struggle to say goodbye to Logan was so sad. They finally managed to say they loved him, but first they had to say they'd never forgive him (Kendall), and there's "no excuse" for his actions (Shiv). Only Roman had the audacity to say he was a good dad. Poor Roman. He's going to have the hardest time dealing with his loss.

• Like 14
  • Love 2

Well, someone said last week that knowing HBO shows and weddings, he had some concerns about how Connor's wedding might play out, but didn't suspect a bloodbath. 
LogAn Roy died! I was not prepared for that. 
This was an epic episode, beautifully shot, and best performances from the cast. I think it will be remembered as one of the best episodes of television ever. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Like 17
  • LOL 5

I knew Logan had to die at some point before the series ended.  It's hard to do "succession" without showing the actual succession.  I probably didn't expect it this early in the season but expect it I did.

I wasn't as into most of the performances.  Probably only Conner resonated with me. 

Roman really wanted a hug from Gerri didn't he.  If only he hadn't mentioned she was getting fired earlier, he might have gotten it.

Let the games begin.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 16

Holy shit, only the third episode and they already went there!

Realistically, I knew that it was only a matter of time because I deep down knew that Logan had to get taken out of the equation in order for this show to to get to where it needs to be.  But I didn't expect it to happen this way!  And baring a twist that would be extremely unlikely for this show, it ended up simply being his original health issues coming back to haunt him.  A fitting end for the almighty Logan Roy.  Body is not even cold yet and everyone is already trying to position themselves in order to thrive going forward.  Ironically, I think he would kind of dig that.  Fare thee well, Logan.  You were the bastard to end all bastards, but you were fascinating to watch.  Goes without saying that Brian Cox was magnetic throughout all of this.

The kids reaction to his death was brilliantly realistic and sad.  From Roman clinging to a false hope and refusing to accept the reality to the very end, to Shiv breaking down despite their nonstop issues but willing to take on the harder tasks like informing Connor, to Kendall of all people almost taking on a leadership role here even though you could tell he was shaken by all of this, to even the way Connor reacted and how it almost felt like he wasn't sure how to feel due to always feeling like an outsider in this family's eyes.  Damn near perfect in every way.  Because Logan might have been a monster, but his kids would still be shaken to their core knowing they have to move on in a world without him.

Of course, it's equally impressive how this show still found a way to incorporate humor throughout all of the turmoil.  From the gallows humor and banter amongst the siblings (probably to prevent themselves from completely shattering), to the juxtaposition of seeing of seeing the likes of Frank, Carl, and especially Karolina just treating this like a business snafu instead of the loss of a human life, Tom's reactions to almost everything happening around, and, of course, Greg being Greg, I was still laughing out loud numerous times.  And it never felt too outlandish or goofy, but kind of real in a way I usually don't see on television.  Just great writing all around.

Definitely curious to see what is going to come out of all of this.   Have to think Geri not only finding out Logan was planning to oust her but that Roman was going to fall in line with it, has to play a big part going forward.  Also don't trust Kerry: especially after her initial reaction.  And then there are the ones we didn't even see on camera for this episode like the Pierces, Lukas, and Sandi and Stewy.  I can see all of them rearing their heads in some form.

A brief moment in the grand scheme of things, but Colin's reaction hit hard as well.  He probably saw a side of Logan other didn't and knew him in ways that are unique, so I have to imagine all of that going away is going to affect him as well.

Connor and Willa actually go through the wedding, surprisingly.  Their little conversation was interesting.  I don't think there is real love there and money is still a major factor, but I do think Willa has sincere fondness for him despite his issues ranging from quirks to delusions.

Enjoyed the blink and you will miss appearance from Jamie Chung as the wedding planner.  Still kind of cool that someone from the Real World is now on HBO shows like this and Lovecraft Country.

The actors were at the top of their game here.  Hard to pick a favorite, but Kieran Culkin and Sarah Snook really stood out.  Hope everyone gets some Emmy love this year (damn, if Snook is considered supporting actress again, it's going to be a bloodbath/all out war between her and Rhea Seehorn from Better Call Saul.)

Excellent episode.  Might go down as one of the best ever after some rewatches.

• Like 18
  • Love 4

That was a masterpiece. Everything about it: the acting, writing, directing. The way this episode moved from character to character; from the boat to the plane. Emotionally raw and devastating. One of the best episodes of TV ever.

I’m surprised that Logan died so early in the season. What comes next will be quite a ride.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Like 18

I am ready for what comes next because the last few seasons seemed very repetitive. Great episode, but Roman is and has always been fucking annoying.  Culkin's acting is ok but the character grates. 

• Like 6

Jesse Armstrong. Hats off to you, dude.

Add me to the list thinking it wouldn't happen this soon, but now that it has, of course, they need room to maneuver properly with so many wannabes.

Buckle up.

And condolences to anyone competing with these people at the Emmys.

• Like 18
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

That was a masterpiece. Everything about it: the acting, writing, directing. The way this episode moved from character to character; from the boat to the plane. Emotionally raw and devastating. One of the best episodes of TV ever.

I’m surprised that Logan died so early in the season. What comes next will be quite a ride.

Jesse Armstrong said he didn't want a death scene and you don't see Logan dying.

He also said he didn't want a death followed by a funeral and then the show is over.

Inside the Episode draws out how they shot the scene differently.  It was like a 27-minute scene and they had extra film and cameras stashed through the set so they could switch cameras when the film ran out on one.  The cameras were on the Roy siblings all the time

But it wasn't all done in one day.  The actors had to get into the frame of mind of what they were shooting and they did things differently.  Caulkin carried the emotional frame of mind home for a few days while Sarah Snook said she tried to put it out of her mind between days.  Jeremy Strong doesn't say how he approached it but you figure he was in the scene for days, really immersed in it emotionally, based on what he's said about his approach.

They shot 28-pages of script for this scene where the children are each reacting to the news.  For comparison, Strong says on movies, they may shoot 2 pages of script in a day.

So Roman holds off on accepting that Logan is gone, or won't admit it when Shiv and Kendall have.  Yet they rally and say they have to reserve their rights, their places in the company.  They have to be involved with the public announcement and so on.

But the coming scenes for the rest of the show seems to suggest that they will go back to competing against each other, jockeying for position, along with Tom and then also dealing with Mattson.

I have to wonder though, do they have to wait for the execution of Logan's will?  They often mention a family trust with various members slated to get their portion of the inheritance.

The inheritances which Logan gives each of them might give them more of an advantage in running the company.  Or at least more of a say if they wind up with bigger percentages of the company than before Logan's passing.

That's why I'm surprised they're talking about Tom as being a contender.  Maybe Logan will leave him something but would he leave more to Tom than to his children, whom he was alienated from and didn't think they were "serious people?"

Greg is still around for comic relief.  Shiv was cold to him this episode but in the previews it looks like the children are tolerating him, but not outright telling him to GTFO.  But unless he gets more shares, either from his uncle or Logan or both, it's surprising how much they tolerate him.

Maybe he makes them feel better about themselves or they think they're better than him, which may or may not be true.

Looks like Connor and Willa have a heart to heart and still do the wedding, with most of the guests gone.  That's kind of sweet and maybe way more genuine than the big spectacle Connor wanted.

But again in the previews, he hasn't given up his quixotic quest for the presidency or to command more respect.  Connor's reaction to Logan dying is that he didn't have a chance to prove himself to Logan or make Logan proud of him.

Also, whoever does end up running the company, assuming it's not sold, they still seem to be using Logan's playbook, which is to try to get their candidate Mencken into the WH.  If Shiv was in charge, you wouldn't think she'd go through with it but then again, maybe having power changes her, makes her put aside her ideals.

• Like 8
28 minutes ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

Connor is the last to know, the afterthought. No phone-to-the-ear dramatics for him.

It makes what he said about learning to live without love last week even more devastating.  His father is dead, and his siblings essentially forget he exists until it is way too late.   

For someone who better understands this, I was under the impression that companies like this already had plans of succession in place just for this kind of moment, so you don't see the kind of stock price collapse we saw here.  Is that not correct?

1 hour ago, Penman61 said:

And I have never seen a show depict more accurately those awful weird moments among the siblings during/after a parent’s death. 

The only one that comes to mind was the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode, The Body.  Though with that, the focus was more on Buffy and her reactions, which did feel raw and real.   

• Like 12
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Yeah, "The Body" is basically the only other comparison to this, and this was done a lot better than "The Body" (and "The Body" was excellent). It really captured the emotion of sudden death in a way that you just don't see on TV shows. Brilliant. 

• Like 16
  • Love 1

My Mom passed and I had to tell my brother and sister on the phone. And it was just as crazy and chaotic as the Roy family... none of us wanted to believe it and no one knew what do we do now? It's amazing how the episode captured that. I really felt bad for all of the siblings.

• Like 16
  • Hugs 6

Odd that Roman was the only sib (of the three who got to "speak" to Logan at the end) who wasn't able to say he loved him yet he was the only one who would go see him.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

That was amazing television, just wow. Plus the fact the show was able to hide this? All the trailers, all the press, they made it seem like this was going to be family wedding episode. 

The 3 siblings were just brilliant, trying to say bye, the disbelief, the press conference and then just together.  

When they ran for Shiv, I remembered  Connor and I think his reaction was authentic. The 3 were on a seperate level than Connor in the family.  They didn't even think to get him to say bye too.  Fitting he just continued to get married and alone with no family. 

The not showing him and through the phone calls, the leaving us in disbelief, shock, not knowing was such a ride. I couldn't even help think back to my dad's death. 

Marcia still shopping in Europe? Anyone call her before the press release?

Kerry is just nuts, she and Tom and Greg are all kind of in nowheres land now.  Unless Logan changed up his will. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 16
2 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

Here is Logan's "obituary" in the L.A. Times. I can't guarantee it won't be behind a subscriber paywall for everybody, but I was able to access it.

Also, it's great background for any viewers who started watching the series later, as I did. 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2023-04-09/logan-roy-succession-dead-obituary

The obituary makes it sound like Logan's brother Ewan died offscreen at some point (talking about him having already donated his fortune to Greenpeace; not listing him in the "survived by" section even though Greg manages to get a mention).  Has he been mentioned since Greg getting disinherited?

Edited by Jessi85
  • Useful 4
2 hours ago, juno said:

HBO loves to kill people during weddings. I guess the new Red Wedding is Connor's Wedding.

You’d think they’d have learned after Shiv’s wedding and what happened there!

• Like 3
  • LOL 7

For a long time, I thought Logan put his people up to faking this to stress out the siblings who were going against him about the sale. They kept showing someone apparently doing chest compressions, but not the body. I knew it made no sense forr someone to pretend to do chest compressions for nothing, but just could not believe Logan would die. An incredible, gripping episode of TV.  

• Like 23
25 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

For a long time, I thought Logan put his people up to faking this to stress out the siblings who were going against him about the sale. They kept showing someone apparently doing chest compressions, but not the body. I knew it made no sense forr someone to pretend to do chest compressions for nothing, but just could not believe Logan would die. An incredible, gripping episode of TV.  

Same! Family and I sat waiting for the twist that never came!

• Like 6

Does anyone else suspect Kerry of leaking the news of Logan's death?  The way she was grinning was bizarre.  I also wondered if she might be pregnant with his child, but that would be too soap operaish for the quality of this show.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

Brutal. Bleak.  Chaotic. Emmys for everyone. 

“He never Even Liked Me” Connor, I don’t think he liked most people to be fair.  No one even thought to get Connor to speak to dead Logan. 

Ken’s honest, “I can never forgive you but I love you.”

Logan’s unceremoniously dumping Gerri shows his feeling on loyalty and seniority. None of matters, the line is always moving.

Carrie’s offer to help craft the company statement and joker like grin. 

The Greglets helping Tom.  Tom’s tears are they for Logan or because he has spent all this time getting in with a man whose no longer around…
I mean Greg is still family, Tom isn’t even that. 

Carrie and Tom are in the same place.  They spent a long time cultivating loyalty for a person that’s gone.

Loved that Logan died away from help surrounded by sycophants.  His last words to his children…I love but you are not serious people. 

So is Gerri hired back?

Edited by dmc
  • Like 16
4 hours ago, MBayGal said:

Does anyone else suspect Kerry of leaking the news of Logan's death?  The way she was grinning was bizarre.  I also wondered if she might be pregnant with his child, but that would be too soap operaish for the quality of this show.

I thought it was Tom via Greg who was the leak.  He told Greg he wanted it known he was by his side. 

They were trying to get pregnant last season so it is possible. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, MBayGal said:

For a long time, I thought Logan put his people up to faking this to stress out the siblings who were going against him about the sale. 

now I'm picturing a J. Walter Weatherman life lessons moment

ShowyHappygoluckyAngelfish-size_restricted.gif

• LOL 6
5 hours ago, MBayGal said:

In her audition tape to be a news anchor, weirdo Kerry was smiling up a storm like a maniac as she was reading the news of horrible events. Instead of having a Poker Face, she had a Joker Face.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 12
1 minute ago, Enigma X said:

I think Kerry is supposed to smile when she is nervous as a character trait. I actually know people like that.

Agreed.   I think this shows more that as soon as Logan died no one wants to have anything to do with her.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 2