Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by JTMacc99,

As was directed in the opening post of this topic, please do not use the Chit Chat topic to discuss any and all health and wellness issues. There is an entire sub-forum for those discussions. 

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Coachella is a music festival.

I know Bjork.  That's about it from this year's line-up.

Yeah, I was being a little bit intentionally clueless but this year’s lineup would never show up on my radar. 

42 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I've actually heard (and possibly seen on SNL) of 14 acts, one of which is Idris Elba. 

What the hell is Idris Elba going to do at Coachella??

Nothing?  He only, you know, needs to be there. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I've actually heard (and possibly seen on SNL) of 14 acts, one of which is Idris Elba. 

He's also a DJ. So I assume he's going to be performing as a smokin' hot DJ.

ETA: This isn't the first year he's performed at Coachella (thanks, Google!). He also performed in 2019.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

You know what makes me feel really old?  I've heard of Coachella, and it sounds like my version of hell.

Reminds me of when my kids were teens and my rule with their music was "if I can hear it, it's too loud".  

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
32 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Reminds me of when my kids were teens and my rule with their music was "if I can hear it, it's too loud".  

Try living in an apartment. I have to keep my music volume managed even in daylight or we would get noise complaints.

Makes me wonder how loud people living in private estates could turn their music up to.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

The funny thing is that I don't mind loud music depending on what time of the day it is, but the music I like is NOT the type music they would play at Coachella.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I had neighbors that every time they were being intimate played music really really loudly. I could still hear them, lady was very vocal and gave directions loudly. The loud music just made it worse. They wound up having 5! kids before they moved. They had a 1 bedroom apartment…

• Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 2

My friend said you should try jalapeño Cheetos. Well they are $5.19 in target. Actually most chips were regular price and no way I’m paying $4+ for chips. I did find target brand chips for $1.79 but no Cheetos for me.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Somebody has probably answered this already upthread but in case not: Idris Elba is a gifted DJ (as in he will spin records in front of an adoring crowd - he doesn't write or perform music but he knows how to play it...handsomely!). Shaq (as in Shaq O'Neill, the gigantic basketball player) also does this, as does Paris Hilton in case you have heard of any of those people.

I'm a house music fan and went to EDC in Las Vegas some years ago when my husband was still around (yes, we were olds compared to most everyone else but we had a blast and all the vibes were extremely chill and great), but Coachella is just full of people posturing and lots of non EDM music that I find super boring.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, isalicat said:

I'm a house music fan and went to EDC in Las Vegas some years ago when my husband was still around (yes, we were olds compared to most everyone else but we had a blast and all the vibes were extremely chill and great), but Coachella is just full of people posturing and lots of non EDM music that I find super boring.

EDC?  EDM?  (I'm old too, but never go to concerts, so need a little help with references.  Bands that are initials starting with E only mean ELO to me.)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, Leeds said:

EDC?  EDM?  (I'm old too, but never go to concerts, so need a little help with references.  Bands that are initials starting with E only mean ELO to me.)

EDC = Electric Daisy Carnival, an event where EDM (Electronic Dance Music) is featured. Think synthesizers and *thump*thump*thump. Below hits its stride about a minute or so in.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

2 days of hot weather (close to 90) made my asthma and allergies so much worse. I can barely breathe. I’m wheezing like a 80 year old smoker. Help! 

And I got a sunburn.

I’ve never had allergies until this year.  Yikes.  Nose clogged slits for eyes, itchy eyes and nose.  Hate antihistamines.  New ailment all of a sudden.

Changing subject:  We are music people.  I listen on my I pad every night.  Anyone play Garth Brooks “If Tomorrow Never Comes”?  The background country music is fabulous!  I blast it on my headphones.  Love most country music.  Try to listen to it.

• Hugs 2
19 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Are there 80-yr old smokers? 🤔

At the retirement residence where my Mom lived there were 3 men who regularly met on a park bench near the entrance to smoke.  What's funny to me is that women are supposed to live longer than men (and judging by the people who lived there this was definitely true!) yet here were these 3 men, probably smokers for at least 60 years, if not longer, and they were still going strong. If asked I could see them crediting smokes and whiskey to their longevity!

• LOL 3
On 4/10/2023 at 7:22 PM, stewedsquash said:

How are the vegetable spring rolls? How do you prepare them? 

I was roasting cut up little Yukon potatoes for supper so I put the vegetable spring rolls in as well. I'd made aioli for the potatoes, so we dipped the spring rolls in the aioli & they were very good. I think I found a nice appetizer for us.

Oy vey--the pollen is flying around here, covering cars with green crap. We had a little bit of rain but I'm staying indoors this weekend. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
On 4/14/2023 at 9:53 AM, Elizabeth Anne said:

In my house, it's my teenagers who tell me that my music is too loud. 

Party poopers that they are.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

I've all of a sudden been having heavy nostalgia for my Catholic school days for whatever reason. 

While I always hated high school going there the one thing about it was I knew one day it would all end.   And well one grows up and sees sometimes there's not a wrong or right answer to things a lot of times.  Things just don't end so to speak lot of times.

I also recall on hot humid days like today when I'd get home from school that I'd go home in my bedroom take off my school uniform, blast the A/C all while drinking a 2 liter bottle of Coke.  Good times 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was roasting cut up little Yukon potatoes for supper so I put the vegetable spring rolls in as well. I'd made aioli for the potatoes, so we dipped the spring rolls in the aioli & they were very good. I think I found a nice appetizer for us.

Oy vey--the pollen is flying around here, covering cars with green crap. We had a little bit of rain but I'm staying indoors this weekend. 

Are the vegetable spring rolls frozen?

17 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Are the vegetable spring rolls frozen?

Yes. I was trying to lessen the load in the freezer, saw these veg rolls & since they needed the same 400° temp as the potatoes, I popped them in the oven for 17 minutes. They came out nice & crispy on the outside & crunchy veggies inside.

• Like 3

So at the beginning of Lent I ended up giving up one of my fandom Discord servers and honestly…I ended up deciding last week on Easter that I didn’t want to go back. I realized that the certain bunch of fans who seemed to run things aren’t good people if they are so codependent on fiction for their power and source of meaning in their life, and I also…just don’t really care about fandom etiquette. I’m going to say what I want to say about things I like and don’t like. If you don’t like it, scroll by, close your eyes, block me, whatever makes you happy…but I’m not going to change my opinions because a few fans are so fragile that they don’t like criticism of their “ship.” 

Leaving behind that toxicity feels good. I am still writing fics but I’m honestly not as passionate about it I was a few months or a year ago. I will still write but worry less about playing by all the unwritten rules you’re expected to follow in fandom. 

• Like 8
7 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

At the retirement residence where my Mom lived there were 3 men who regularly met on a park bench near the entrance to smoke.  What's funny to me is that women are supposed to live longer than men (and judging by the people who lived there this was definitely true!) yet here were these 3 men, probably smokers for at least 60 years, if not longer, and they were still going strong. If asked I could see them crediting smokes and whiskey to their longevity!

My Father smoked and drank a couple of shots of brandy everyday and died at 95.   He also fried up bacon and eggs every morning.  Never ate junk food tho.  

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2

Ladies, I just measured my bra size, and I got 28DD. Do any of you have or know someone with such a size?

My band size doesn't surprise me cause my frame is small. (I thought it was more along 30 or so though, but I've lost weight this last year.) I am someone whose boobs disappear under my clothes because I have a tiny rib cage but curvy hips. I definitely have decent sized boobs once my top is off. HOWEVER, I am not what I consider busty! When I think DD, I think huge boobs, especially on a small frame. How on earth did I measure myself as a DD? I always thought I was a B at my thinnest and a full C when I gain more weight. The bust part I measured was 32.5, and I read to round up. Even if I rounded down, I'd get a D, and I still don't think I am that busty. I wish! lol 

I followed the directions at the link below. The last time I was measured was at Victoria's Secret, and I think they told me I may have been a 32C? It's been years. I've heard VS can be really bad at sizing, but I also wonder about vanity sizing of other places. 

Maybe I'm too tired and not thinking clearly, but I'd appreciate info on proper sizing if anyone here is knowledgable about it. 

https://www.barenecessities.com/feature.aspx?pagename=fit_sizing

Edited: So I checked Victoria’s Secret’s site and got a similar result, 32D. This time when I measured it was like 27 band and 32 bust. Guess it’s tricky to measure exactly right, but I got a surprising size both times.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Mind Blown 1
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Ladies, I just measured my bra size, and I got 28DD. Do any of you have or know someone with such a size?

My band size doesn't surprise me cause my frame is small. (I thought it was more along 30 or so though, but I've lost weight this last year.) I am someone whose boobs disappear under my clothes because I have a tiny rib cage but curvy hips. I definitely have decent sized boobs once my top is off. HOWEVER, I am not what I consider busty! When I think DD, I think huge boobs, especially on a small frame. How on earth did I measure myself as a DD? I always thought I was a B at my thinnest and a full C when I gain more weight. The bust part I measured was 32.5, and I read to round up. Even if I rounded down, I'd get a D, and I still don't think I am that busty. I wish! lol 

I followed the directions at the link below. The last time I was measured was at Victoria's Secret, and I think they told me I may have been a 32C? It's been years. I've heard VS can be really bad at sizing, but I also wonder about vanity sizing of other places. 

Maybe I'm too tired and not thinking clearly, but I'd appreciate info on proper sizing if anyone here is knowledgable about it. 

https://www.barenecessities.com/feature.aspx?pagename=fit_sizing

Edited: So I checked Victoria’s Secret’s site and got a similar result, 32D. This time when I measured it was like 27 band and 32 bust. Guess it’s tricky to measure exactly right, but I got a surprising size both times.

Maybe you need glasses.      I’m 5’7 and am a 42 D.  I have beautiful lacy bras in every color, but only wear them to doctors or if I have a light colored top on.  I hate bras and whip them off as soon as I get home.  Plus, I hardly go anywhere lately.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Are there 80-yr old smokers? 🤔

I met an 80-yr-old smoker/vaper. Between smoking and the California sun, she had quite the collection of wrinkles.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

My sister is a DD but not with that band size. She's about 5'4".

14 minutes ago, nokat said:

I met an 80-yr-old smoker/vaper. Between smoking and the California sun, she had quite the collection of wrinkles.

One of my cousin's is in her 60s and has been smoking since high school.  She has wrinkles pursed all around her mouth that are very pronounced.  I am assuming because of the smoking? 

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Maybe you need glasses.      I’m 5’7 and am a 42 D.  I have beautiful lacy bras in every color, but only wear them to doctors or if I have a light colored top on.  I hate bras and whip them off as soon as I get home.  Plus, I hardly go anywhere lately.

Good bras for grown women with tiny band sizes don’t really exist.  It’s a bit better now with companies like Pepper and the Little Bra Company, but there’s still little selection. 

• Useful 1
41 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

One of my cousin's is in her 60s and has been smoking since high school.  She has wrinkles pursed all around her mouth that are very pronounced.  I am assuming because of the smoking? 

I assume that contributes to them. I'm north of sixty and do have the wrinkles on my upper lip but they are only really noticeable if I purse my lips.

I smoked in my twenties but was never a heavy smoker and quit long ago. I also use sunscreen and a hat while in the sun. 

22 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

@RealHousewifeYou might want to go to a lingerie shop to get measured. They *should* know how to correctly measure for the correct size bras.

Yeah that's my plan now! It's just odd because I feel like years ago what I'd measure at home was around what they told me. 

22 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Good bras for grown women with tiny band sizes don’t really exist.  It’s a bit better now with companies like Pepper and the Little Bra Company, but there’s still little selection. 

Tell it! Just finding 32 with cups beyond A or B can be tough. I've wondered where the heck I'd get bras if I got implants since my band size would remain petite. 

Now one thing I read is that the sister size for what I measured is something like a 32C or B, so I guess my actual measurements can't be terribly off?

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Yeah that's my plan now! It's just odd because I feel like years ago what I'd measure at home was around what they told me. 

Tell it! Just finding 32 with cups beyond A or B can be tough. I've wondered where the heck I'd get bras if I got implants since my band size would remain petite. 

Now one thing I read is that the sister size for what I measured is something like a 32C or B, so I guess my actual measurements can't be terribly off?

Your sister size is one band size up and one cup size down (or one band size down and a cup size up).  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

The Bare Necessities calculator you used appears to be an anomaly.  It has you measure your rib cage and uses that measurement as the band size, with no adjustment.  And that may work for the bras they manufacture themselves, but it's not going to work on bras manufactured by others.

That's because the band sizing on most bras is done by either measuring the rib cage and adding a number to it (usually around 4) to come up with the band size (Wacoal does this), or measuring around the top of your chest under your arms and using that number (without adjustment) as the band size (Victoria's Secret, Hanes).

Cup size is determined by the difference between the band size and the fullest measurement of the bust, with inches correlating to letters.

Bare Necessities uses that convention for cup sizes BUT its band size is artificially low (since it just uses the raw number of the rib cage measurement for the band size), which results in artificially high cup sizes.  Someone with a 28" rib cage and 32" fullest bust measurement would be a 28D using the Bare Necessities calculator.  Someone with those same measurements would be a 32A at Wacoal.

https://www.wacoal-america.com/DigitalFitQuestionnaire?catalogId=10052&storeId=10851&langId=-1&measureStep=true

I don't know what those measurements would be at Victoria's Secret or Hanes, because neither uses the rib cage measurement at all; both use the measurement under the arms to determine the band size. 

Here's Hanes's method, which is based solely on measurements and arithmetic, so you can see how they're getting the numbers:

https://www.onehanesplace.com/measure-bra-size

RealHousewife, what numbers did you use for Victoria's Secret?  Since they use the underarm measurement, they wouldn't even let me input 27 for the band size.

To illustrate the differences between the calculators, I'll go where I've never gone before and give my numbers:  28" rib cage (relatively small for my 5'5" height), 35" fullest bust, 33" underarm measurement.

Those numbers give me a 32DD at Wacoal (which uses rib cage measurement), and that is indeed the size of the only bra I ever wear--an unlined underwire from Wacoal that fits like a glove.  I've been wearing that style and size, exclusively, for like 20 years.  (I was originally fitted at the Town Shop in New York City, where they don't even use a tape measure because they have experienced eyes.)

Also, as a point of reference, I recently bought a sports bra from Calia, and was choosing between a 32DD and a 34D ("sister sizes"), and eventually went with the 34D because my body is shifting around because I'm 65, and I feared the band on the 32DD, which seemed tight but not THAT tight, would become uncomfortably tight if things shifted a little more and I developed some meat on my rib cage.  However, several months later, I wish I'd gotten the 32DD--the band on the 34D rides up on me, even on the closest hook.  That 32DD really did fit very well.

So I'm a 32DD in Wacoal, and in Calia. 

Moving to Hanes, they have me use my underarm measurement of 33" as the band size (without any adjustment), and the full bust measurement is 35", leaving a difference of 2", which results in a B cup.  But...my band size is an odd number and they don't say whether to round up or down.  And is the cup size based on the rounded-up or -down band size, or my band size measurement?  Let's assume rounding up.  That leaves me being either a 34A (rounded-up band, and difference between rounded-up band and full bust of 1") or 34B (rounded-up band, and difference between raw band measurement and full bust of 2").  I can guarantee you that's wrong.

So on to Victoria's Secret.  (BTW, fuck VS and their autoplaying video while at the same time making you click on a little + to actually see the instructions in words and find out you're supposed to measure under your arms and not your rib cage.)

Anyway, entering 33 in band size (using the raw underarm measurement) and 35 in bust size yields a 32C.  But that means they rounded the band size down, not up.  And if they rounded down, the C cup comes from the difference between the rounded-down band size--not the raw measurement--and the full bust measurement.

So back to Hanes, rounding down to 32 band size and using the difference between the rounded-down band size and the full bust measurement, like Victoria's Secret did, also yields 32C.  So maybe you are supposed to round down.

Who the hell knows.  But even though I've been loyal to my Wacoal, I've tried bras on a few times in the past, but brands like Bali and Warners at the department store never come in bands smaller than 34, and those 34s are always too big regardless of the cup size.

I wonder if my issues are because my rib cage is unusually narrow--something that never would have occurred to me except I once had to have those heart sensor things put on my torso and the nurse said she has having trouble getting them all to fit because my rib cage was so little.  Of course I've never forgotten that, just like the time the physical therapist said I had a "withered left leg," which also is permanently seared into my brain.)

It seems to me that measuring under one's arms for something that's going to be placed several inches south of there, below one's breasts, wouldn't be a very good way to predict what will fit down there, but it's a known method.  But I swear that it's relatively new, and way back when, bra bands were determined by rib cage measurement plus X inches.

So now moving to the Bare Necessities calculator, I'm a ... well, they won't even give me a size, and the thing says to call for a personal consultation.  Puh-leez.  Because they equate the rib cage raw measurement and band size, the difference between their band (28) and bust (35) is 7" on me, which using traditional measuring, and the chart just below their fitting calculator, would be a DDDD, or G, resulting in a 28G for me.  Uh, nope.  Or, maybe in the bras Bare Necessities manufactures itself, but not in anybody else's.

And what gets me is that Bare Necessities sells other brands of bras, but doesn't have a size calculator for those.  It does say, "Exact sizing and fit may vary by brand," but you can see just how WAAAAY off their sizing is compared to Wacoal.  And they sell Wacoal bras!  But if I click on one of the Wacoals, the smallest size is 32C.  But I think I'm a 28G because I just used the fitting calculator on the Bare Necessities website, so I move along.

Furthermore, if you shop by size, the smallest size they offer even in their own brand is 30A. 

https://www.barenecessities.com/Bare-Bras_catalog_nxs,31,vendor,166403.htm

Where does that leave us 28s?  Trying Wacoal, or any other manufacturer that makes bras in a 32 band, if we're smart.

Actually, what Bare Necessities offers corresponds to the major bra manufacturers, like Bali and Warners, where they don't come in band sizes smaller than 34.  If you adjust Bare Necessities' wonky sizing to conform to most sizing, their 30 is the same as everybody else's 34 (just as their 28 would be the same as everybody else's 32, if those everybody elses offered a 32, which they don't, but Wacoal does).

So, unless you're buying one of Bare Necessities' proprietary bras, ignore their sizing chart.  Use any other chart, but be sure you're measuring where you're supposed to be measuring--it might be rib cage and it might be under your arms, and it's not necessarily immediately clear which one and it makes a difference.

• Useful 1

I recently went to my old high school for an alumni weekend celebration due to it being a milestone year for my particular class. While the hosts were perfectly hospitable and I caught up  a few older teachers and a couple of alums from differing classes, I'd known, I wound up being the only one of out of fifty-plus survivors of my particular year to attend.

Yep, if nothing else, I was in a class by myself! 😄

• Applause 2
  • LOL 3
7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I recently went to my old high school for an alumni weekend celebration due to it being a milestone year for my particular class. While the hosts were perfectly hospitable and I caught up  a few older teachers and a couple of alums from differing classes, I'd known, I wound up being the only one of out of fifty-plus survivors of my particular year to attend.

Yep, if nothing else, I was in a class by myself! 😄

Lol on the term “survivor.”  We used to use that term for those who started in kindergarten and stayed throughout.  Later, this was changed to Lifers and more recently, long-timers to include those who stated in lower elementary grades (like before Grade 3, I believe). 

• Useful 1

I hope the porch pirate who visited this morning is enjoying the home colonoscopy kit they nicked.

Edited by Leeds
Because adding the word "kit" makes a difference.
  • LOL 13
20 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I hope the porch pirate who visited this morning is enjoying the home colonoscopy kit they nicked.

Oh that's poetic justice - the word ass has to be worked in there somehow!

I've often thought how disappointed porch pirates would be if they picked on me.  Books and, when my mother was still with us, boxes of tena underwear and rinse free shampoo caps.  Not exactly stuff most of them would be dreaming of scoring!

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Oh that's poetic justice - the word ass has to be worked in there somehow!

I've often thought how disappointed porch pirates would be if they picked on me.  Books and, when my mother was still with us, boxes of tena underwear and rinse free shampoo caps.  Not exactly stuff most of them would be dreaming of scoring!

I hope the Tena is somewhat still far in my future, but I (maybe) wouldn't mind the books!

• Like 4

I don’t know if this is something I should feel bad about or if I’m reading too much into it, but…leaving social occasions or more causal gatherings too quickly? I went to choir tonight, and again, rehearsal was about an hour and 20 minutes long because we spend way too long on the tiniest of semantics and people don’t pay attention or it’s always “just one more!” By the time that ends I have to drive home and do dishes (since I worked all day and most of the other people are retired) and I tend to leave quick so I won’t always socialize and say good night to as many people as I can. I always wonder if people think I’m being standoffish for not hanging around to chat and not doing the “goodbye tour” as my mother calls it. (When you say goodbye but 20 minutes later you’re still there…) I do take my time talking after Mass or when rehearsal is closer to an hour, but if we’re pushing an hour and a half, is it OK for me to leave quickly and just be pleasant to the people I do encounter on my way out without extended talking time? 

In other news, I think I am going to delete my Reddit account. I got pushed around on a sub last night and called hateful, a liar, and told “no one is more miserable than you.” My crime? I called a fictional character a bad parent and took someone to task for continuously being rude to me and asked her why she was so rude. Sorry but save the term “hateful” for people who actually do and say hateful stuff on a regular basis. I will discuss that particular show here and among my friends who don’t care for the fandom intensity but I’m finally done! Reddit is such a cesspool. There are a few good subs but beyond that…ugh. People are so awful. And to use the term “hateful” so casually. It just goes to show how emotional and irrational so many people are now that we have 24/7 Internet access. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 4
20 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

but if we’re pushing an hour and a half, is it OK for me to leave quickly and just be pleasant to the people I do encounter on my way out without extended talking time? 

Of course.  And you don't owe the group more than a "good night, all" as you head off, but if you want to follow that up with "It's been a long day already and I still have stuff to take care of at home" that might clue a few in.

• Like 7