Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

As kids, we had Lady Fingers in the house all the time.  Who sells them now?  I haven’t seen them.  I remember eating one .. then couldn’t stop.

I see them in Vons (Safeway), Ralphs (Kroger) and pretty much every grocery store I shop at. They're usually in the bakery section.

• Applause 1
9 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes!  This is an old trick in the supermarket biz.

Agree - I’ve heard that as well.  But there is a chain in my area that has a selling point of having coolers up front with milk, maybe eggs? Beer? It’s not my regular store and I don’t remember which it is now, but I do remember seeing it. 

14 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

In my old age I don’t have the patience/attention span to read a book. I miss when I could read a book in a day or 2.

I  haven't read any fiction in I don't know how long, but I do occasionally read biographies or non-fiction on a subject that interests me, often on movies/film makers or performers for example.    Sometimes I just jump around in the book's sections (for example in Eddie Muller's Dark City: The Lost World of Film Noir which I bought via Kindle) I find it easier to either buy or rent books via Kindle or some other e-book service.  I can take out 3 e-books at a time with my New York Public Library card, and it's useful for books that would otherwise be way too expensive to buy.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I see them in Vons (Safeway), Ralphs (Kroger) and pretty much every grocery store I shop at. They're usually in the bakery section.

Same here -- they're in all the stores, and usually in the bakery section but sometimes in the aisle with packaged cookies and crackers.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I must agree that only a few books can hold my attention anymore.  I want to be knitting at the same time.  So I watch TV/movies/streaming or listen to audio books and podcasts.

I used to sit for hours and read mysteries, thrillers, espionage, etc. Today? The story better grab me by the first page or I'm wondering if I need to pick up my phone & see what's going on in the NY Times, Washington Post, Primetimer 😁, emails, anything but the next page. It's making it tough to be in a book club!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Wink 1
43 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Same here -- they're in all the stores, and usually in the bakery section but sometimes in the aisle with packaged cookies and crackers.

This reminds me, I need to ask my mom if we can make her trifle the next time I visit.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, isalicat said:

At my grocery store they tend to put them right next to the bins of strawberries! Yeah, I know...makes too much sense. But they can't leave the whipping cream out there too as it requires refrigeration so if you are going to make the whole nine yards, you have to hike back to the dairy department. Which reminds me: Why is the milk etc. all the way at the BACK of the store? If I am just running in to get a quart of milk why do I have to thread my way through everyone and their carts and all those things I don't want in the center of the store to get to the milk? Is this a way to get me to buy other stuff, like a "loss leader"? I'm sincerely asking because its so annoying....

It’s called “Marketing”.  They put the needed milk in the back so you have to go thru the aisles and buy more stuff.  Annoying, but beneficial to the store.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ok, thanks.  I haven’t been grocery shopping for the last year because of a bad back, but will look now.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Agree - I’ve heard that as well.  But there is a chain in my area that has a selling point of having coolers up front with milk, maybe eggs? Beer? It’s not my regular store and I don’t remember which it is now, but I do remember seeing it. 

My regular store has a cooler near the checkout lanes that has just milk and orange juice. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, roseha said:

I  haven't read any fiction in I don't know how long, but I do occasionally read biographies or non-fiction on a subject that interests me, often on movies/film makers or performers for example.    Sometimes I just jump around in the book's sections (for example in Eddie Muller's Dark City: The Lost World of Film Noir which I bought via Kindle) I find it easier to either buy or rent books via Kindle or some other e-book service.  I can take out 3 e-books at a time with my New York Public Library card, and it's useful for books that would otherwise be way too expensive to buy.

Nothing like Film Noir on Turner Classics.  Love them.  Thank goodness for Turner Classics.  Wish I could go on their yearly cruise.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

They put the needed milk in the back so you have to go thru the aisles and buy more stuff.

The dairy is in the back because (1) it requires a large refrigerated space, (2) it comes in large, frequent deliveries and (3) it's heavy to move.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
9 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I see them in shop rite 

Good.  New York has lots of Shop Rites, my favorite grocery store thst husband frequents this past year.  Their drug items, are the cheapest.  Better than Walmart.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, isalicat said:

At my grocery store they tend to put them right next to the bins of strawberries! Yeah, I know...makes too much sense. But they can't leave the whipping cream out there too as it requires refrigeration so if you are going to make the whole nine yards, you have to hike back to the dairy department. Which reminds me: Why is the milk etc. all the way at the BACK of the store? If I am just running in to get a quart of milk why do I have to thread my way through everyone and their carts and all those things I don't want in the center of the store to get to the milk? Is this a way to get me to buy other stuff, like a "loss leader"? I'm sincerely asking because its so annoying....

An old retail trick. Put the most frequently purchased items the farthest from the door, requiring one to traverse the entire store (and hopefully pick up a few more items) to get what you need.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2

Wegmans has a small refrigerated case, holding milk and various juices, that is up in front, close to the checkout lines. None of the other supermarkets here have that. But I don't know anyone who can pop into Wegmans for just a carton of milk--way too many goodies in that store ☺️.

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, kristen111 said:

It’s called “Marketing”.  They put the needed milk in the back so you have to go thru the aisles and buy more stuff.  Annoying, but beneficial to the store.

I thought we were supposed to shop the perimeter anyway.  Maybe I’m just weird but I instinctively go around before I go through the middle 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Quof said:

The dairy is in the back because (1) it requires a large refrigerated space, (2) it comes in large, frequent deliveries and (3) it's heavy to move.  

(4) I’ve seen it in the middle too.)

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

(4) I’ve seen it in the middle too.)

Same, but only in stores that are oddly laid out (it was towards the back, but not perimeter-back).  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I thought we were supposed to shop the perimeter anyway.  Maybe I’m just weird but I instinctively go around before I go through the middle 

That is the healthiest way to shop. You avoid all the processed, sugary stuff that way.

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 2
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That is the healthiest way to shop. You avoid all the processed, sugary stuff that way.

As long as you don't look at the end caps where all the chips and cookies and candy often get placed.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
2 minutes ago, nokat said:

As long as you don't look at the end caps where all the chips and cookies and candy often get placed.

My husband would rather shop himself where he will spend about $50 bucks.  I go and wind up spending about $120.  He rather me stay home. Lol.  There’s staples I have to pick out that he has no clue about.  Like the staples for cooking.  When I go to Walmart, I go crazy and buy a lot.  The new supercenters have everything.

Just now, kristen111 said:

My husband would rather shop himself where he will spend about $50 bucks.  I go and wind up spending about $120.  He rather me stay home. Lol.  There’s staples I have to pick out that he has no clue about.  Like the staples for cooking.  When I go to Walmart, I go crazy and buy a lot.  The new supercenters have everything.  I’m cooking for 58 years you guys.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

My husband would rather shop himself where he will spend about $50 bucks.  I go and wind up spending about $120.  He rather me stay home. Lol.  There’s staples I have to pick out that he has no clue about.  Like the staples for cooking.  When I go to Walmart, I go crazy and buy a lot.  The new supercenters have everything.

This^^^^!! They don't know about the staples (unless they're really good cooks). When I shop at Wegmans & push my cart (piled high w/ overstuffed bags) onto the elevator to the garage, along with other women with loaded carts, I love to say, "Well...I came in just to pick up a few things". They laugh & nod their heads. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

This^^^^!! They don't know about the staples (unless they're really good cooks). When I shop at Wegmans & push my cart (piled high w/ overstuffed bags) onto the elevator to the garage, along with other women with loaded carts, I love to say, "Well...I came in just to pick up a few things". They laugh & nod their heads. 

Mine shops from the list and the bakery isle and chocolate that is not on the list.  He knows nothing about staples .. gravy master, flour, spices especially, salad dressings, so many things.  But, he does his best, and I’m grateful for that. 👍

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m under 40 lol. I feel old…

I'm 43, turning 44 this year.  Under 40 is young to me too.  Technically a different generation (I was born in '79, so I'm still considered "X" in most books).

56 minutes ago, nokat said:

Chips...my husband would totally do that (he's not supposed to)

New topic:  I think my son is picking up my parents' Hong Kong accents (plural because they have "different" versions.  My mom's is more of a Catholic School-Educated by nuns accent while my dad's is more "standard").  No matter how hard I try, he calls the letter "h," "ickch" rather than "aych."  He knows what sound "ay" makes as well as "ch."  I've written the sounds out, but he somehow isn't putting them together.  

Edited by PRgal
  • Useful 1
59 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I'm 43, turning 44 this year.  Under 40 is young to me too.  Technically a different generation (I was born in '79, so I'm still considered "X" in most books).

Chips...my husband would totally do that (he's not supposed to)

New topic:  I think my son is picking up my parents' Hong Kong accents (plural because they have "different" versions.  My mom's is more of a Catholic School-Educated by nuns accent while my dad's is more "standard").  No matter how hard I try, he calls the letter "h," "ickch" rather than "aych."  He knows what sound "ay" makes as well as "ch."  I've written the sounds out, but he somehow isn't putting them together.  

No worries.  He’ll change in school.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m under 40 lol. I feel old…

I remember bemoaning turning 40 to my father and he turned to me and said "How do you think I feel I'm old enough to have a daughter who's 40!".  Still not sure if that was meant to comfort me or not 😄.

• LOL 10
5 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

No worries.  He’ll change in school.

My son has been in school for a while.  Preschool all last year and is in Junior Kindergarten now.  I read to him every night and we often read together.  To be fair, I haven’t made too much of an effort of correcting him.  He gives up and asks me to finish when I do it too much, so I don’t always do it.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I remember bemoaning turning 40 to my father and he turned to me and said "How do you think I feel I'm old enough to have a daughter who's 40!".  Still not sure if that was meant to comfort me or not 😄.

I don’t even remember my forties.  I wonder if it was good.  I was busy taking care of kids and both my parents, then getting a job.  Times flies.  Wish I could do it all over again.  I would do a few things differently.  I had too much company and knocked myself out. 

• Hugs 1
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

To be fair, I haven’t made too much of an effort of correcting him.  He gives up and asks me to finish when I do it too much, so I don’t always do it.  

My grandson is being raised in a household with a French mother and English father and he slips in and out of both languages with enviable ease.  We have noticed though now that he is in first grade at a French school that his English, while still fluent, is taking on a hint of a French accent.  He's not Maurice Chevalier or anything but it's noticeable.  And adorable!  I think assuming he continues in French schools that probably French will be his dominant language but that's ok.  Better chance of a civil service job down the road!!

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

My son has been in school for a while.  Preschool all last year and is in Junior Kindergarten now.  I read to him every night and we often read together.  To be fair, I haven’t made too much of an effort of correcting him.  He gives up and asks me to finish when I do it too much, so I don’t always do it.  

Two languages is nice .. no?

• Like 5
Just now, Elizabeth Anne said:

My grandson is being raised in a household with a French mother and English father and he slips in and out of both languages with enviable ease.  We have noticed though now that he is in first grade at a French school that his English, while still fluent, is taking on a hint of a French accent.  He's not Maurice Chevalier or anything but it's noticeable.  And adorable!  I think assuming he continues in French schools that probably French will be his dominant language but that's ok.  Better chance of a civil service job down the road!!

Aw, that sounds cute, and smart.  I just watched the picture with Maurice Chevalier where he sings with that French accent.  The one with Leslie Caron.  Love it.  The name will come to me tonight, in bed.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

LOL! My "baby" turned 50 in March!  I know just how your dad felt! I'm turning 74 in June and lately I am feeling it, fighting it, but still feeling it!

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I just watched the picture with Maurice Chevalier where he sings with that French accent.  The one with Leslie Caron.  Love it.  The name will come to me tonight, in bed.

Gigi?

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Of course, but he’s accented in both!

It's normal!  My DIL tells me that my grandson speaks French with a slight English accent too.   And my nieces who lived in England during their high school years have a trace of Brit to their voices just from going to school there and having British friends.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

LOL! My "baby" turned 50 in March!  I know just how your dad felt! I'm turning 74 in June and lately I am feeling it, fighting it, but still feeling it!

Me too.  Everyday is a hassle.  I have a fifty yr old baby too.  Divorced.  He said “Never Again”.

Just now, peacheslatour said:

Is that the one where he sings Thank Heaven for Little Girls? 

Yes.  Love it.  I had it on tape, but accidentally erased it.  My kind of movie.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Snip

I can’t explain why but the first sentence gave me a little burst of cool!cool! happiness. Your child is going to be very unique. Probably not as much within your variety of accents but in the bigger circle of his life. He will be a man of mystery. 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I can’t explain why but the first sentence gave me a little burst of cool!cool! happiness. Your child is going to be very unique. Probably not as much within your variety of accents but in the bigger circle of his life. He will be a man of mystery. 

I don’t know.  It just makes him sound like he’s not a “native speaker” in either language.   I have to admit that I said “ickch” for a few months (since I didn’t really speak English until I was 4), but I mostly lost it by the time JK wrapped.  He still has trouble with “v” and a few other sounds.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Mine shops from the list and the bakery isle and chocolate that is not on the list.  He knows nothing about staples .. gravy master, flour, spices especially, salad dressings, so many things.  But, he does his best, and I’m grateful for that. 👍

I'm pretty sure I've posted this before, but this is a good stress reliever, with or without your husband.

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLaughs/videos/351806438730571/

• Like 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Is that the one where he sings Thank Heaven for Little Girls? 

He sang this song, and the even sweeter song, "I Remember It Well". He sang that with Hermione Gingold. I saw Chevalier perform at a theater in the round on Cape Cod, many summers ago. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1