Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by JTMacc99,

As was directed in the opening post of this topic, please do not use the Chit Chat topic to discuss any and all health and wellness issues. There is an entire sub-forum for those discussions. 

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I wish I had nice set of passed down China. I use plates from target lol.

11 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I love anything from Target.  China is nice, but it mostly sits in the China Cabinet.  Mine does anyway.  I find China super too delicate.

• Like 2

Surprisingly the dollar store sometimes has pretty plates, bowls and cups. I've never bought them and don't know how they'd hold up to daily use and being put through the dishwasher, though.

3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

My Mother embroidered a dining room sized linen tablecloth for me to match my China.  It had all flowers on it and is gorgeous.  I had to put plastic over it when I used it.  It’s now in my closet.  My girls don’t want it.  I’ll bet those antique places have loads of stuff that nobody wants anymore because it’s old fashioned.  In time, I believe things will come back.

Yes, they do and they will. The cottagecore, grandmacore, gardencore, etc., trends have brought some things back. Some Gen Zers love to thrift in order to be eco-conscience/responsible and as a rejection of mass consumerism.

I collect smaller embroidered pieces like pillowcases and hand towels because they can still be used while appreciating the hand work that went into them. We see sets of antique and vintage china at the antique and thrift shops all the time. The only reason we haven't bought any is because they're probably not dishwasher safe. I'm all for eating a nice meal on a lovely plate but have no interest in all that washing up.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Surprisingly the dollar store sometimes has pretty plates, bowls and cups.

I do have a nice round platter from the Dollar Tree.  It's glass and everything!  My oval platters are plastic and from Target.  No idea how they'd hold up to a dishwasher, though.  I don't have a dishwasher -- I AM the dishwasher!

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I would give you my Haviland but my hoarder husband would have a fit.

My husband is the classic "has a box labelled pieces of string to short to use" kind of saver.  Drives me nuts! 

With regard to the china, silverware, crystal and tablecloths - definitely think my generation is probably the last one to even use most of these items, let alone save them.  I have tried to pass some of my sets of china (some inherited, some I bought because I wanted them) and I've had no takers so far.  I couldn't even give away a beautiful hutch that I had no more room for the last time we moved.  My kids don't have a use for a piece of furniture to display things they don't have any intention of owning!

• Like 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hello from India! I promised myself I’d save all my posts for when I returned, but I just had to share this. Done by a 15-year of high school student. She looked at the picture of the art I wanted just for 10 seconds, and then proceeded to apply it without having to look back:

15A453BD-7CFB-4DFA-8595-BC55E4F0192A.jpeg

101DFCAF-DB18-4BCB-8527-958C026CBCE0.jpeg

E729FF20-A3C5-463C-8533-688D6BE7ECCB.jpeg

FE0FEDF0-D236-4B98-A9B5-EC8B09A586FB.jpeg

@GHScorpiosRule that is beautiful! That girl is very talented! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

You might find some nice dinnerware at a church's thrift shop. As long as it's attractive to you, that's all that matters. I found my good dinnerware online, made in Germany. I couldn't find what I wanted in stores here (too fussy, too dainty, old fashioned, etc., etc., 😸) As some posters here have said, none of their kids want their china. A lot of folks donate their nice things to these church run thrift shops. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

When I got married, we registered for white Villeroy & Boch dishes - sort of half way between "regular" dishes and "fancy" china that you might use when guests come for dinner.  And they're dishwasher friendly!  I've only lost one or two in the almost 13 years I've been married.   

• Like 5
  • Love 1

My “good” dishes are now in regular use. At one point they were for special occasions. When my sister got married she registered for expensive, to me, china. It took a while after she was married to even have complete sets. I was in Macys with my mother right before I was getting married. There was a set that I liked. She said she’d get it for me. I ended up with service for 16 on the spot. Makes me laugh 36 years later. 

• Like 7
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm in the same boat. I have my Haviland and my mother's sterling. I never use either one any more. Cloth napkins and tablecloths are a thing of the past too.

I have a full set of gorgeous Wedgwood china in my hall closet that has not been used in 30 years (got it in England and had it shipped over while on my honeymoon which would now be 46 years ago), but I do use cloth napkins and a proper table runner whenever I have dinner guests (not often, but it happens!). I never did get a set of sterling flatware which is probably a good thing, but have a full tea set of sterling given to me as a present 25 years ago and never used. Where all this will wind up when I am gone is a great mystery as my son is entirely unlikely to want china or sterling. (He is a good cook though and is endlessly inventing new slow cooker recipes and "things to do with salmon" as he terms it.) My mom left me a collection of extremely fragile bone china tea cups and saucers which I was happy to donate to a local women's club for their annual High Tea. 😺

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I have a full set of gorgeous Wedgwood china in my hall closet that has not been used in 30 years (got it in England and had it shipped over while on my honeymoon which would now be 46 years ago), but I do use cloth napkins and a proper table runner whenever I have dinner guests (not often, but it happens!). I never did get a set of sterling flatware which is probably a good thing, but have a full tea set of sterling given to me as a present 25 years ago and never used. Where all this will wind up when I am gone is a great mystery as my son is entirely unlikely to want china or sterling. (He is a good cook though and is endlessly inventing new slow cooker recipes and "things to do with salmon" as he terms it.) My mom left me a collection of extremely fragile bone china tea cups and saucers which I was happy to donate to a local women's club for their annual High Tea. 😺

Kids these days with their kitchen gadgets. My son loves to cook and he a huge assortment of slow cookers, rice makers, bread makers, panini pans and all sorts of gizmos and doodads. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I have my grandparents' china, which is SO not my style (it has little pink flowers on it; if there is anything in the world that least represents me, it is a little pink flower), but I use it when I have a proper dinner with company at the dining table as the fancy stuff is better suited to the room than my cobalt blue regular dishes.

When my parents are gone, I'll have their china, too, so I'll keep that set (nothing I'd ever pick out for myself, either, but at least it's silver, not pink) and sell or donate my grandparents' set -- assuming anyone wants it, that is.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

My Haviland is the Apple Blossom pattern. It's not my style at all but I inherited it from a great uncle who never married and lived with his mother until she died and then when he died, I ended up with it. My son and his wife will never want it.

image.png.19cf2489cc0b62ece8d120e32228dfc3.png

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I do have a nice round platter from the Dollar Tree.  It's glass and everything!  My oval platters are plastic and from Target.  No idea how they'd hold up to a dishwasher, though.  I don't have a dishwasher -- I AM the dishwasher!

My deceased Mother in law should see how her macho Son turned out.  He’s the master dishwasher, shopper and clothes washer.  He says he does a better job than me, lol.  Our whole life I did it all .. now he’s the expert … he thinks.  Let him think.  I do nothing now. Hahaha.  Now he’s starting to buy “no brand” stuff which I don’t like.  I want the real stuff no matter the cost.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have my grandparents' china, which is SO not my style (it has little pink flowers on it; if there is anything in the world that least represents me, it is a little pink flower), but I use it when I have a proper dinner with company at the dining table as the fancy stuff is better suited to the room than my cobalt blue regular dishes.

When my parents are gone, I'll have their china, too, so I'll keep that set (nothing I'd ever pick out for myself, either, but at least it's silver, not pink) and sell or donate my grandparents' set -- assuming anyone wants it, that is.

The china I inherited also has pink flowers, with pastel blue and gold trim - not at all my style.  I should use it occasionally, but it's so fragile and must be hand washed.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yikes, we had two black spiders in our living room already.  My Mother used to say if it’s been a mild winter, creatures live and come in the house.  Two years ago, I got a bite in the bedroom.  Wound up in the hospital with cellulitis on antibiotic.  Time to call the exterminator.  We live in the woods, so plenty of creatures around.  Happy holiday to everyone here .. my favorite thread.  Xo🥰🌻🌺

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5

We don't celebrate Easter (we did the bunny rabbits and egg hunt thing when I was a little kid, but that's it), but a bunch of my neighbors must -- the grocery store was a good deal more crowded than usual when I went yesterday afternoon.  I was puzzled by this, but then I heard someone mention Easter (which I hadn't even registered was this weekend), so my guess is that's the reason, people were stocking up to make a holiday feast.

Thankfully, it wasn't too bad once I finally got a parking space and got inside; people were fairly spread out across the store and the check-out lines were reasonable.  But I still wish I'd gone Thursday afternoon as I'd originally planned; damn cramps.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

We don't celebrate Easter (we did the bunny rabbits and egg hunt thing when I was a little kid, but that's it), but a bunch of my neighbors must -- the grocery store was a good deal more crowded than usual when I went yesterday afternoon.  I was puzzled by this, but then I heard someone mention Easter (which I hadn't even registered was this weekend), so my guess is that's the reason, people were stocking up to make a holiday feast.

Thankfully, it wasn't too bad once I finally got a parking space and got inside; people were fairly spread out across the store and the check-out lines were reasonable.  But I still wish I'd gone Thursday afternoon as I'd originally planned; damn cramps.

Apparently there’s a rare intersection of holidays this week: 

IMG_1114.jpeg.16c8fd5d0d2357913f4ad7fa25a02967.jpeg

• LOL 16
57 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Apparently there’s a rare intersection of holidays this week: 

IMG_1114.jpeg.16c8fd5d0d2357913f4ad7fa25a02967.jpeg

Ooh, you beat me to it. I saw that on my Facebook feed earlier.

I'm hosting Easter dinner for my widowed sister, her son and his wife. My eldest son and his family are not coming down. My grandson is almost 2, and although my children were raised in the Catholic faith, they don't practice any religion. I feel sad sometimes about it, but there's nothing I can do about it.

My younger son and his fiancee will just be coming for dessert. I sent my husband for the prime rib roast yesterday. I just cut up the cheeses for the antipasto. Tomorrow I will add salami, marinated mushrooms (my husband's favorite) , olives and red pepper strips. I'll also make a caprese salad (fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato slices).I remembered to buy the fresh basil earlier this week. We're only numbering 5, so I am skipping the pasta course. My nephew's wife is bringing a kosher dessert since she's Jewish and can't eat the regular cakes and bread products. I just took a simple cheesecake out of the oven. Keebler graham cracker crust and only cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. No springform pan. Easy peasy. I'm baking a Marie Callender Dutch apple pie tomorrow. Bought coconut macaroons, and a fruit tray. Can never have too much dessert!

Happy happy to all!

• Like 7
  • Love 2
On 4/7/2023 at 3:06 PM, peacheslatour said:

Kids these days with their kitchen gadgets. My son loves to cook and he a huge assortment of slow cookers, rice makers, bread makers, panini pans and all sorts of gizmos and doodads. 

Isn’t it amazing how these boys cook?  My Son can beat any woman when it comes to cooking too.  He’s a natural.  Husband makes a good breakfast and grilled cheese sandwiches.  That’s it, and that’s ok by me.

• Like 1
On 4/7/2023 at 2:54 PM, isalicat said:

But you did use the Wedgwood at one time, right?  It must be gorgeous.  Makes me want to rip out my stuff.  What about the delicate stemware too?  That was a must in the day.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

But you did use the Wedgwood at one time, right?  It must be gorgeous.  Makes me want to rip out my stuff.  What about the delicate stemware too?  That was a must in the day.

We did use the Wedgewood back in the 1980s (wow - long time ago) when we had regular dinner parties before we moved to the mountains and had a kid....its been in the box ever since, and through two moves. It is creamy and fairly plain as I don't like my plates competing with or clashing with the food and I have a feeling I might just take it out and start using it as my current set of every day stuff is a little worn. I gave away my mother's full china set of Mikada as it was white with a black rim surrounded by gold and could not be put in the dishwasher as the gold would go away and I don't like yellow gold anything anyways....Never got any fancy stemware except a set of Waterford crystal champagne flutes. I do have a collection of mugs that includes an original Max Headroom mug which I love to assign to overnight guests who appreciate my weird taste. 😸

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, isalicat said:

We did use the Wedgewood back in the 1980s (wow - long time ago) when we had regular dinner parties before we moved to the mountains and had a kid....its been in the box ever since, and through two moves. It is creamy and fairly plain as I don't like my plates competing with or clashing with the food and I have a feeling I might just take it out and start using it as my current set of every day stuff is a little worn. I gave away my mother's full china set of Mikada as it was white with a black rim surrounded by gold and could not be put in the dishwasher as the gold would go away and I don't like yellow gold anything anyways....Never got any fancy stemware except a set of Waterford crystal champagne flutes. I do have a collection of mugs that includes an original Max Headroom mug which I love to assign to overnight guests who appreciate my weird taste. 😸

I have three sets, but my favorite is Pfaltzgraf Franciscan Desert Rose dinnerware.  It’s very thick and heavy, but I just love the size and colors.  The China is too thin, and I’m afraid of washing it.  I normally use the blue Corelle for everyday.  Or paper plates.  Lol, I’m married since the sixties.  Yikes!  Unusual in today’s world, right?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

my favorite is Pfaltzgraf Franciscan Desert Rose dinnerware

I absolutely ADORE that pattern. Kristen.  9 years ago I bought a new service for 12 and was so tempted to purchase that pattern, but I got a fantastic deal on Mikasa Antique White. They are very simple, but elegant.  A while later I bought another service for 4, in a complementary Mikasa fruit pattern. Both sets have scalloped edges, which I love.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Keebler graham cracker crust and only cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. No springform pan. Easy peasy. I'm baking a Marie Callender Dutch apple pie tomorrow. Bought coconut macaroons, and a fruit tray. Can never have too much dessert!

Happy happy to all!

As a "cultural Jew," I have to warn you that the graham cracker crust is probably a no-no for the Passover observer, unless made with gluten-free crackers or something else that can be Kosher for Passover. 

I do make a mean matzoh brei, however. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

New thread! I had such a long week I hadn’t even noticed. Things have been busy with church choir since it’s Holy Week and we have another special Mass in two weeks. I’m kind of upset that our schedule was originally marked as a day off tomorrow but our director said last night at the end of Easter Saturday that we will have practice Monday after all. I really wanted that day off so I’m bummed. But since I have to go to the grocery store tomorrow since the stores aren’t open today, I decided that if I can make practice, fine, and if not, he can survive one week without me. It’s all contingent on if I can get out of work and through the store on time, and getting out of work will be half the battle because my job is now such if I get a task one minute before the end of my shift I have to take it and not know how long it will take. (I’ll take more chatter on that to the work thread, though.) 

And besides, in two weeks the choir is practicing with the choir at our sister church for the confirmation Mass, which I can’t make. So I’ll be giving myself a week off practice in two weeks anyway; no use in rehearsing for something I won’t be at. I find that while I mostly like choir, that skipping a practice or a performance outside of normal Mass time here and there makes me feel more refreshed and eager to get back to singing. 

After church today, I’m going to my mom’s house and she and my stepdad and I are going to an Easter buffet. None of my siblings ever really come in for Easter and my mom doesn’t want to cook a big dinner for three people so this is usually what we end up doing. It’s pricey but you do get your money’s worth with plenty of food and good service. 

• Like 7
8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

As a "cultural Jew," I have to warn you that the graham cracker crust is probably a no-no for the Passover observer, unless made with gluten-free crackers or something else that can be Kosher for Passover. 

I do make a mean matzoh brei, however. 

Oh, I know. That's why she's bringing her own kosher dessert. She can also eat the macaroons and the fruit. She's more or less a cultural Jew, as she never goes to services, but she does go all out for Passover, and hosts a big Seder for the first night of Passover, with all the appropriate foods.

I also bought crackers that are Kosher for Passover, to use with the cheeses. 

• Like 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I absolutely ADORE that pattern. Kristen.  9 years ago I bought a new service for 12 and was so tempted to purchase that pattern, but I got a fantastic deal on Mikasa Antique White. They are very simple, but elegant.  A while later I bought another service for 4, in a complementary Mikasa fruit pattern. Both sets have scalloped edges, which I love.

Lol, I bought the whole set with all the trimmings.  I use an olive green linen tablecloth to bring up the pink in the dishes.  Listen to me .. sound like a jerk, haha.  Happy Easter.  Husband playing golf, then we go to my daughters.  Have a wonderful day.   Everyone.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

Oh, I know. That's why she's bringing her own kosher dessert. She can also eat the macaroons and the fruit. She's more or less a cultural Jew, as she never goes to services, but she does go all out for Passover, and hosts a big Seder for the first night of Passover, with all the appropriate foods.

Ah, good to know!  As long as you were not giving it to an unsuspecting eater. 

• Like 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I made a matzoh tiramisu-like dessert yesterday.  Soaked matzoh in milk and coffee, spread a chocolate spread on top and then repeat.  Let's just say it looked...rustic.  

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I made a matzoh tiramisu-like dessert yesterday.  Soaked matzoh in milk and coffee, spread a chocolate spread on top and then repeat.  Let's just say it looked...rustic.  

You know, tiramisu is made with lady fingers, and I think there are lots of lady fingers that are kosher for Passover, since it's like sponge cake, which is typical for Passover cakes.  Here's a recipe for Pesadich lady fingers using matzoh cake meal and potato starch.  Or you could probably buy some.

https://pamelareiss.com/2022/03/22/passover-ladyfingers/

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

You know, tiramisu is made with lady fingers, and I think there are lots of lady fingers that are kosher for Passover, since it's like sponge cake, which is typical for Passover cakes.  Here's a recipe for Pesadich lady fingers using matzoh cake meal and potato starch.  Or you could probably buy some.

https://pamelareiss.com/2022/03/22/passover-ladyfingers/

As kids, we had Lady Fingers in the house all the time.  Who sells them now?  I haven’t seen them.  I remember eating one .. then couldn’t stop.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

As kids, we had Lady Fingers in the house all the time.  Who sells them now?  I haven’t seen them.  I remember eating one .. then couldn’t stop.

My mother had a couple desserts she made using ladyfingers layered with various yummy stuff. (I’m pretty sure cool whip was involved.) But yeah, I would have no idea where to even look for them in the store.  Probably next to those spongey strawberry shortcake shells (wherever they are!)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

My mother had a couple desserts she made using ladyfingers layered with various yummy stuff. (I’m pretty sure cool whip was involved.) But yeah, I would have no idea where to even look for them in the store.  Probably next to those spongey strawberry shortcake shells (wherever they are!)

I see them in the cookie aisle 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
21 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

You should be able to get them at your local supermarket.  

• Like 2

Yes, lady fingers are great for all those desserts that have layers soaked with stuff.  Like English Trifle, and, of course, TIramisu.  I saw a Julia Child recipe on YouTube today, with lady fingers in a Charlotte mold with ice cream and chocolate sauce.  Looked good!

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

At my grocery store they tend to put them right next to the bins of strawberries! Yeah, I know...makes too much sense. But they can't leave the whipping cream out there too as it requires refrigeration so if you are going to make the whole nine yards, you have to hike back to the dairy department. Which reminds me: Why is the milk etc. all the way at the BACK of the store? If I am just running in to get a quart of milk why do I have to thread my way through everyone and their carts and all those things I don't want in the center of the store to get to the milk? Is this a way to get me to buy other stuff, like a "loss leader"? I'm sincerely asking because its so annoying....

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

In my old age I don’t have the patience/attention span to read a book. I miss when I could read a book in a day or 2.

I must agree that only a few books can hold my attention anymore.  I want to be knitting at the same time.  So I watch TV/movies/streaming or listen to audio books and podcasts. 

2 minutes ago, isalicat said:

: Why is the milk etc. all the way at the BACK of the store? If I am just running in to get a quart of milk why do I have to thread my way through everyone and their carts and all those things I don't want in the center of the store to get to the milk? Is this a way to get me to buy other stuff, like a "loss leader"? I'm sincerely asking because its so annoying....

Yes!  This is an old trick in the supermarket biz.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
4 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

In my old age I don’t have the patience/attention span to read a book. I miss when I could read a book in a day or 2.

I don't know how old you are, but now that I am retired (kinda sorta - I work at a volunteer job about 5 hours a week and get paid for another job at a non-profit about 8 hours a week, plus do a lot of singing that involves endless rehearsals), I so treasure the opportunity to actually read and have been plowing through a book a week (I tend to go back and forth between science fiction and Nordic/English murder mysteries). As a child, all I wanted was to be left alone to read....and now my wish is mostly fulfilled! Huzzah!

• Like 2
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, isalicat said:

At my grocery store they tend to put them right next to the bins of strawberries! Yeah, I know...makes too much sense. But they can't leave the whipping cream out there too as it requires refrigeration so if you are going to make the whole nine yards, you have to hike back to the dairy department. Which reminds me: Why is the milk etc. all the way at the BACK of the store? If I am just running in to get a quart of milk why do I have to thread my way through everyone and their carts and all those things I don't want in the center of the store to get to the milk? Is this a way to get me to buy other stuff, like a "loss leader"? I'm sincerely asking because its so annoying....

Probably because that’s where the cold/refrigerated room is? Though it doesn’t make sense that frozen foods are in the MIDDLE of the store most of the time.