Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Big Week

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

How long has it been since the couples therapy ended?  I'm guessing it's at least two years, preventing it from being an ethics violation, but man, it still feels morally wrong.  What a horrible betrayal for Ted, period.  I cannot imagine how I would feel if my ex started dating our therapist, and what a poor choice Michelle is making as well.  I also think she should have discussed this with Ted before having him around their kid.  I don't know if this is just bad writing or we are just supposed to handwave this, but it just seems legitimately awful.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
55 minutes ago, highway61 said:

A security camera in a locker room? I don't know if that's a good idea .... 

And Ted knew all along that the sign was ripped and who ripped it, right - wouldn't he have been the one that fixed it? 

But yes, Trent is obviously Hoffman

I was just thinking the same thing! The team changes in there. Are there rules about cameras in areas with an expectation of privacy?

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, highway61 said:

A security camera in a locker room? I don't know if that's a good idea .... 

Right, not sure that would ever be allowed, seems like a huge HR violation. 

I still do not like Sassy.....not having my mind changed on that. 

Yes, Juno looks very gaunt this season, it struck me from episode 1. 

Seeing Jaime with no bottoms was the very best thing about this episode.  Roys reaction and his casually asking about it was the 2nd best thing. 

Michelle is the absolute worst. I am glad that they had Ted tell her something, of course in his Ted way he made an impact though I wish he would have said more about how awful it is that she is dating their therapist. He definitely has an infinite amount more restraint than I do. I did not like that smile that Michelle had at the end.....

Zava letting his kids name themselves and their names being ridiculous was hilarious. 

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Zava will be the one to out Colin. Colin seems to like making jokes about being gay that he knows the others will just brush off as jokes but maybe Zava will pick up on it and say something. Then maybe that is what will make the team turn on him? I'm not sure though because Zava seems pretty open minded that he wouldn't care about something like that...I just don't see Trent or any of the other players doing it.

Ted is a mess but so is almost everyone on this show, Beard, Roy, Rebecca......lots of folks that are "work in progmesses." :)

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, nomodrama said:

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Zava will be the one to out Colin. Colin seems to like making jokes about being gay that he knows the others will just brush off as jokes but maybe Zava will pick up on it and say something. Then maybe that is what will make the team turn on him? I'm not sure though because Zava seems pretty open minded that he wouldn't care about something like that...I just don't see Trent or any of the other players doing it.

I could see Zava accidentally outing Colin, simply because he’s so wrapped up in himself and doesn’t really consider other people. I don’t think it would be deliberate or malicious though. But still awful to do!

• Like 8
32 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I could see Zava accidentally outing Colin, simply because he’s so wrapped up in himself and doesn’t really consider other people. I don’t think it would be deliberate or malicious though. But still awful to do!

Zara has been around for 15 years, Colin cannnot be the first gay player he has met, and I'm sure he has played with closetedfor the public/out for the team or part of the team players before. The man is an walking ego, but he is a pro, I don't buy he would slip like that.

But Zava, so wrapped up in himself, may not have taken the time to realize Colin is closeted.  The writers seem to be giving Colin a lot of one-liners about sleeping with men...it could come around as part of a joke that Zava reacts to without any malice.  

• Like 4
2 hours ago, lasu said:

How long has it been since the couples therapy ended?  I'm guessing it's at least two years, preventing it from being an ethics violation, but man, it still feels morally wrong.  What a horrible betrayal for Ted, period.  I cannot imagine how I would feel if my ex started dating our therapist, and what a poor choice Michelle is making as well.  I also think she should have discussed this with Ted before having him around their kid.  I don't know if this is just bad writing or we are just supposed to handwave this, but it just seems legitimately awful.

I seem to recall Ted saying it had been a year and a half.

The ethics issues go beyond the length of time, though. Dr. Jacob was Michelle's personal therapist, then became their couples counselor and took Michelle's side on everything, then encouraged Ted to give her space - which led to him leaving the country - and then with Ted out of the way started dating her.

Ted saying that he isn't happy about the situation isn't good enough. He should file a complaint against him.

• Like 19
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

re the cameras in the locker room - let's just pretend they turn on via motion sensor or are on an after hours timer.  Cuz its just plain weird to have cameras in there.

But the cameras were not showing the locker room. They were showing the doorway into/out of the locker room and Ted's office, both places with legitimate security concerns. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)

As hurtful as what Nate did in tearing down the Believe sign, it really was pretty hilarious watching him totally screw it up several times. Come on Nate, standing on a rolling chair? It was funny but it also made the whole thing even more sad and petty. He wanted so badly to ruin that sign out of pure spite, so much that he went to all that trouble, and he could hardly even pull it off. He's trying to be a supervillain but he's still just bumbling Nate. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

As hurtful as what Nate did in tearing down the Believe sign, it really was pretty hilarious watching him totally screw it up several times. Come on Nate, standing on a rolling chair? It was funny but it also made the whole thing even more sad and petty. He wanted so badly to ruin that sign out of pure spite, so much that he went to all that trouble, and he could hardly even pull it off. He's trying to be a supervillain but he's still just bumbling Nate. 

Important pieces of television history are displayed in the Smithsonian.  I’d vote for the believe sign to join the collection.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

That "joke" that Shandy made at Barbara's expense was cruel, so I appreciated the look that Keeley gave her when she made it. I'm sure that she wants to help Shandy the way that Rebecca helped her, but I think she's starting to realize that Shandy isn't her and needs to go.

• Like 9

When Ted said to Rebecca:

• You already won, you know? You got that turkey out of your life.

I was slightly taken aback because I can't recall Ted ever using a derogatory term about someone before (referring to his use of "turkey" in reference to Rupert). 
Am I right about that? He said it so casually, and it's such a mild term of derision, that you could blink and miss it. But I'm wondering if it has greater significance.
Ted sees how Rupert treats people (Rebecca, Bex, Nate) and perhaps puts him in a category that does not deserve forgiveness. 
Like: If there was a Rupert Lego man, he would not get to be anywhere near Lego Ted. 
Maybe this could be the key to Ted summoning up within himself a desire to beat Rupert's team that is strong enough to drive the team members to some sort of victory.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

But Zava, so wrapped up in himself, may not have taken the time to realize Colin is closeted.  The writers seem to be giving Colin a lot of one-liners about sleeping with men...it could come around as part of a joke that Zava reacts to without any malice.  

That could be.

2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

The ethics issues go beyond the length of time, though. Dr. Jacob was Michelle's personal therapist, then became their couples counselor and took Michelle's side on everything, then encouraged Ted to give her space - which led to him leaving the country - and then with Ted out of the way started dating her.

And being some sort of father figure to Henry.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

re the cameras in the locker room - let's just pretend they turn on via motion sensor or are on an after hours timer.  Cuz its just plain weird to have cameras in there

That's EXACTLY how I handwaved it!

Also: Michelle dating the ex-therapist = Olivia Wilde dating Harry Styles? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, nomodrama said:

Yes, Juno looks very gaunt this season, it struck me from episode 1. 

I think Keely is one of those people who doesn't eat when they're stressed, sad, depressed, whatever.  (It's certainly never a problem I've had) 

Anywhooo, figured costuming, hair, and make-up were supporting this character trait with their choices.

Edited by quirkygal
typos but probably just made more
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

So… is Jason gonna be processing his divorce through season three? Is that what’s happening? 

Jason and Olivia Wilde never married and haven’t been together since 2020. They ARE going through custody proceedings.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Someone please explain why people are assuming an episode written by Brett Goldstein is a way to process the end of Jason Sudeikis's relationship with Olivia Wilde? And that therapist Dr Jacob is a stand in for Harry Styles? Anyone? Someone is going to pull something with all the reaching.

I hate Nick Mohammed for being so good that I enjoyed bumbling Nate this episode (I hooted at the site of him in the corner of the elevator like he was in the damn Blair Witch Project), and let me tell you I really hate Nate right now. I respect your talent Nick, but you have a lot of work to do!

Edited by Abra
  • Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
On 4/6/2023 at 12:35 PM, lasu said:

On 4/6/2023 at 3:20 PM, Blakeston said:

I seem to recall Ted saying it had been a year and a half.

Ted saying that he isn't happy about the situation isn't good enough. He should file a complaint against him.

Not sure what type of therapist Dr. Jacob is (LMHC, LMFT, LCSW, LPC) but my code of ethics (LCSW) says NEVER. There is always an inherent relationship imbalance between client and therapist, and Dr. Jacob is totally unethical. Time is not a factor. Former roles are. Of course he was already unethical in (1) starting marriage counseling with Ted and Michelle when already Michelle's therapist--you ALWAYS refer to a therapist who is new to BOTH partners and in (2) always taking Michelle's side in sessions (kind of inevitable with (1), which is one reason (1) was bad and unethical). 

Back to your normally scheduled programming.

I also got a kick out of Jamie's somewhat unorthodox jammies. . . 

• Like 13
  • Useful 5
On 4/5/2023 at 1:08 AM, Turtle Wexler said:

I also got the sense that Keeley and Jack might be interested in each other? 

I picked up on that vibe as well. It feels like they are drifting away from a Keeley/Roy reunion.

• Like 2
On 4/7/2023 at 11:15 AM, Abra said:

Someone please explain why people are assuming an episode written by Brett Goldstein is a way to process the end of Jason Sudeikis's relationship with Olivia Wilde? And that therapist Dr Jacob is a stand in for Harry Styles? Anyone? Someone is going to pull something with all the reaching.

I think for me the issue is that rather than Ted's ex just dating someone & Ted is dealing with the fallout, it is that the ex is in an ethically dicey relationship, so all the focus is now going to how she's in an inappropriate relationship & Ted is just a victim of that awfulness.  Look at the comments for the last episode, it was all about how inappropriate the ex's relationship was.  Totally changing the focus from the reality, as we had been shown previously, that Ted was a part of the breakup because he never did the hard work in the relationship, always just being cheery, quippy guy rather than dealing with feelings.

I know nothing of the real life relationship other than folks have criticized her as unserious for now dating a singer & how could she divorce nice guy Ted Lasso (literally attributing the character to him).  I also know he had her served divorce papers on stage, which seems gross, but don't know/don't care to know background for that. 

The thing I appreciated at the end of this episode is that after Ted actually expressed real feelings to her via his explanation of how her new relationship hurt him...she paused & there was a slight smile on her face. An indication that while they might be apart, she was happy her co-parent & someone she loves still (while no longer wanting to be married to) was showing emotional growth.  It was subtle, but nice.  It was very loud that her new relationship is inappropriate & very quiet in reminding us of his issues that hastened the breakup (non-existent if you had forgotten her complaints from Season 1 when she visited).

I read an article a few weeks back, maybe in Vulture (I'll see if I can find it & will update here if I do), that Bill Lawrence (producer along with Jason on first 2 seasons (formerly of Scrubs, Cougar Town, currently of Shrinking) was not involved in this season, so this season is basically Sudekis's vision.  I wonder if what is missing this year is a smoothing/more disciplined voice of Lawrence in the room? 

Who knows! I've had the concerns this season & perhaps it is me conflating real life things with things on the show, but I've not been happy with how tilted the relationship is being portrayed this year.  Hope I'm wrong & he lands the ending to this story line.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
14 hours ago, pennben said:

I also know he had her served divorce papers on stage, which seems gross, but don't know/don't care to know background for that. 

From what I understand, when someone is served papers, it’s not up to the party doing the serving where the service actually happens. That is completely up to the process servers themselves.

As far as Bill Lawrence, IMDb does list him as being an executive producer on this season.

• Like 7
15 hours ago, pennben said:

I think for me the issue is that rather than Ted's ex just dating someone & Ted is dealing with the fallout, it is that the ex is in an ethically dicey relationship, so all the focus is now going to how she's in an inappropriate relationship & Ted is just a victim of that awfulness.  Look at the comments for the last episode, it was all about how inappropriate the ex's relationship was.  Totally changing the focus from the reality, as we had been shown previously, that Ted was a part of the breakup because he never did the hard work in the relationship, always just being cheery, quippy guy rather than dealing with feelings.

This pretty much sums up why I found the route that the writers took infinitely less interesting. 

• Like 4

Just to be clear, Jason and Olivia were never married. He served Wilde with court documents regarding child custody while she was on stage presenting her film Don't Worry Darling at CinemaCon 2022.

• Like 2
(edited)

I’m not seeing Ted avoid responsibility because of Michelle’s dating life.  He’s in therapy; people are telling him he is a mess.  He is working on himself, and we all are seeing many of his flaws.  I’m not seeing Jason litigating his personal life in this story.

The only person talking about their custody issues is Olivia, beyond Ted apologizing publicly that her moment was spoiled by the process service (and I still think it is odd that she opened the envelope onstage - I would have thought safety concerns would dictate security scooping it up and checking the contents).

Edited by Crs97
  • Like 6

From a bill Lawrence interview:

Lawrence says he has little to do with Season 3. He's running a new Apple TV+ show, "Shrinking," alongside star Jason Segel and writer/actor Brett Goldstein, who won an Emmy for playing cranky "Lasso" footballer Roy Kent and has writing duties on "Lasso" along with Brendan Hunt, who plays Coach Beard.

• Like 3

This mentions Juno's weight loss. Not only Lasso fans noticing.

https://news.amomama.com/301215-juno-temples-weight-loss-followed-her-ye.html

I hope some of the gloom lifts, some speculate Ted might get back with his wife because of just her smile after they hung up. Who knows, but I wish they weren't divorced and just maybe separated. It's almost like you know certain things have to happen, the losses and Jaime getting back in fighting shape, but it's how they do it. I hope it's not just filler. I love the show but I almost want to FF certain scenes now. I hope for some curve balls you don't see coming.

I also can't believe they had Keeley so naive she doesn't even know who she works for. Embarrassing.

• Like 2

Yes, Jack is such a popular name that we could have gotten the same result with Keeley assuming Jack was a different person and being excited to think CFO is letting her guard down by inviting a friend/boyfriend.  CFO could still think Keeley was dumb with Keeley awkwardly trying to convince her that she knows the VC chair is Jack.

I guess we are still in the forest, but I am still loving this show!!

• Like 2

I guess we were supposed to feel satisfied to see Jade being completely unimpressed by Nathan's success.

But I found it kind of uncomfortable. The previous episode with her gave the impression that she might very well be racist. And if not racist, then at least a huge jerk.

In light of that depiction, seeing her be so flippant didn't come across to me as a fist-pump moment.

• Like 3

The most satisfying moment of this episode for me was seeing Nate wandering onto the pitch following his snub of Ted and essentially standing there alone. He wasn't being mobbed by any of the players or a real part of the celebration - he was just kind of standing there by himself. 

Karma is a bitch, you douche. 

Yes, I am petty AF. 

• Like 7

As a reminder, the episode threads are to discuss the episodes- only.  

Any further discussion regarding Jason and Olivia's personal lives will be removed. 

Any further discussion of Juno's weight will be removed.  Not only for being off-topic but also due to our inclusion policy.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I can't remember from S2 what was said about the people willing to fund Keeley/who funded the business she was taking over. It's a bit out of character for her not to know Jack, so I can provide my own handwave reasons but hope for some character rehabilitation next ep. 

I didn't think I was on board for the Nate redemption, but this episode gave me some hope. He's seen the Rupert side of the coin and it's not all he expected after wanting more from Ted. There seems a legitimate path to work on Nate not being such a jerk.

• Like 2
On 4/6/2023 at 8:55 AM, highway61 said:

And Ted knew all along that the sign was ripped and who ripped it, right - wouldn't he have been the one that fixed it? 

Didn't Nate put it back up and "fixed it" right after he did it last season?  You all are much better eagle eyes than I am though, so I defer to someone who remembers it better.

See - i don't understand Nate going bad in the first place.  It wasn't gradual at all, it just suddenly, so it any redemption seems normal in comparison to me.  Why do you think he went bad?  What's with him spitting at himself?  Ughmo.

And yes, Keely's styling is way too harsh, but I'm hopeful that she can be a boss bitch and help Shandy grow and become a great team member.  

28 minutes ago, hatchetgirl said:

Didn't Nate put it back up and "fixed it" right after he did it last season?  You all are much better eagle eyes than I am though, so I defer to someone who remembers it better.

Ted found it ripped up on his desk.  We didn’t see it, but he had to be the one who taped it back together.

• Like 6

The actor who plays Nate says he tries not to read social media since he knows his character is hated for now but still unfinished business.

Part of interview:

Not that I condone Nate's actions in Season 2, but I feel like you can see where they're coming from. You can see that they ultimately stem from a toxic relationship he has with his dad and these deep-seated insecurities that he's had his whole life. He's not a different person. He's the same person. He's just been given a little bit more power and he's chosen sadly, to use that power in quite sort of bullish ways. There's quite a lot of reckoning to be had in Season 3.

I don't like Nate of course, but I always see how insecure he is, how fragile in many ways, 2 steps away from a woman or person he admires destroying him. Ted built him up but he felt betrayed by him and couldn't talk to him anymore than he could his dad. I'm sure there will be a corny apology I will cheer for unapologetically, but only time will tell.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 6
41 minutes ago, hatchetgirl said:

See - i don't understand Nate going bad in the first place.  It wasn't gradual at all, it just suddenly, so it any redemption seems normal in comparison to me.  Why do you think he went bad?  What's with him spitting at himself?  

I actually thought it was well set up, especially in hindsight.   In season one, he showed his pettiness and his desire for revenge.  In season 2, he craved Ted’s approval but always feared Ted would be like his father and punish him any time he was less than perfect. And then adding Roy to the coaching staff…replacing Ned as the favourite, in his mind at least…and then all the talk of Nate’s special play…he was afraid he was being set up to take the fall if it failed… he understands a boss like Rupert who is a lot like his father.   With Ted, he was afraid to get too comfortable as he was always waiting for the other shoe to fall.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
On 4/4/2023 at 10:34 PM, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Also - kinda can't believe that Roy (Chelsea and England LEGEND) and Jamie (star footballer and reality TV star) can just have a workout in the daylight on Richmond green. Like, I know it's pretty aesthetically, but I don't buy it.

Roy has probably told every Richmond fan in the area that would possibly approach him to "get fucked" so they probably all know better and just leave him alone.

On 4/6/2023 at 1:03 AM, Raachel2008 said:

No way these three bags would feed a team.

I took that to mean that he was buying lunch for the coaching staff, not the entire West Ham team. Because yes, if you were to buy lunch for an entire football team of elite athletes you would need way more food.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I really liked Ted's facetime with Michelle. To me, it showed real growth for him to confront her without humor or deflection and just straight up say what he felt - he was hurt and upset. I think her reaction was surprise because he never did that before. I like this for him - nobody changes overnight. Baby steps Ted........

My favorite moments:

Roy threatening to punch Jamie in the balls and then him walking away naked from the waist down, plus the matching head lamps. How far these two have come!

The Banter videos - "you might not know who I am" - ha, not likely. Dani's best friend - ha! He continues to be my favorite.

Van Damme. The team as a whole continues to be so good and hilarious!

Bex's digs at Rupert's age. She is going to take him to the cleaners with that kid in tow - wouldn't it be perfect if she ends up with West Ham just like Rebecca got Richmond?????

The Diamond Dogs always. Where was Trent? "Jane has a sister" "No" "Good call".......

I really don't know what to make of Nate's arc. Again, I don't need redemption for him. I wish they would just let him fail, but that's a different show. I did love that even when the manager gave him the food for free the hostess still could not give a shit. Perfect.

• Like 9

I hope very much that Ted and his wife do not reconcile.  She does not deserve him.

Also, I hope we get out of the dark forest soon.  It's sad and there aren't even cute ewoks to help fight against Darth Nate and Evil emperor Rupert.

If/when Rupert divorces Bex, I hope Rebecca advises her to get the team in the divorce settlement.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

The Banter videos - "you might not know who I am" - ha, not likely. Dani's best friend - ha! He continues to be my favorite.

Those videos were really well done and even though I have no need for a dating app, I thought they were really smart and eye catching. Like Dani with his face blurred but the rest of his hair and body clear. Or Zoreaux's (Van Damme's) face blurred but him clearly being a Black man in a Richmond goal keeper uniform. 

I really don't know what to make of Nate's arc. Again, I don't need redemption for him. I wish they would just let him fail, but that's a different show. I did love that even when the manager gave him the food for free the hostess still could not give a shit. Perfect.

The hostess's whole reaction to Nate was hilarious. I hope we see a little more of that. And with Nate being a jerk to the manager even though he gave him all that free food (at what looked like a fancy restaurant) I really hope there is very little in the way of redemption for him. Basically I just don't hope there is anything close to Ted welcoming him back as a friend or Richmond coach or anything like that. Because I don't think he deserves it, plus it would fit well with what we saw with Ted and his ex this episode where Ted told her he wasn't happy with her but they will always be in each other's lives. With Nate, Ted doesn't need him in his life so he can just tell him how he feels and that will be that. Then Roy can tell him to get fucked.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

If/when Rupert divorces Bex, I hope Rebecca advises her to get the team in the divorce settlement.

Agreed and prenups don't hold the same weight in the UK especially if children involved. Rupert will likely be hemorrhaged because of the child support.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:12 AM, Blakeston said:

But I found it kind of uncomfortable. The previous episode with her gave the impression that she might very well be racist. And if not racist, then at least a huge jerk.

I am not sure what they are doing with the hostess character. Nate is so awkward around her which was amusing at first but she seemed rude and cold. Is it a lesson for Nate to stand up to her later? Then she decides she likes him and goes on a date with him or something. That seems too cliched rom com for this show. I think we'll see her again as it fits into Nate's arc which I am not warmed up to yet either.

• Like 4

Why would anybody get up at 4am if they didn't have to?! That doesn't make the days magically longer. If you can get more training in by getting up this early, you can also get more training in by training longer into the evening and that is by far the more preferable option.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Athena said:

I am not sure what they are doing with the hostess character. Nate is so awkward around her which was amusing at first but she seemed rude and cold. Is it a lesson for Nate to stand up to her later? Then she decides she likes him and goes on a date with him or something. 

I can't remember a lot about their interactions in the previous seasons so it's hard to know if she was just being rude because she is rude, or if it is because she is an attractive hostess at a London restaurant who probably gets hit on all the time and probably has to shut down anything close to flirting very quickly. For this time Nate was trying to sound like a big shot (and there are probably a lot of big shots on London) so she just didn't care.

12 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Why would anybody get up at 4am if they didn't have to?! That doesn't make the days magically longer. If you can get more training in by getting up this early, you can also get more training in by training longer into the evening and that is by far the more preferable option.

If your trainer is Roy he is probably not the type of guy who offers a flexible training schedule to meet the needs of his busy clients. It was probably 4am or "fuck off you lazy prick".

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
11 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

If your trainer is Roy he is probably not the type of guy who offers a flexible training schedule to meet the needs of his busy clients. It was probably 4am or "fuck off you lazy prick".

But why would he want to get up at 4am instead of training later? I don't see a reason. Just seems like a trope these writers used without thinking about it for 5 seconds. (Not that this is a real complaint, more of a funny observation)

I mean if we were to go by realism here, this doesn't make any sense anyway. A body is not a machine, it needs a some time to recover and premier league teams already train on the edge of what is possible. All Jamie would be doing here would be actively destroying his body and getting worse results.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 1