Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Big Week

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

This one was almost an hour long, but it didn't actually feel that way, even with all the Nate and Ted's manpain

First of all - ADORE that Jamie sleeps Winne-the-Pooh style. Definitely need more Jamie x Roy training montages. Also - kinda can't believe that Roy (Chelsea and England LEGEND) and Jamie (star footballer and reality TV star) can just have a workout in the daylight on Richmond green. Like, I know it's pretty aesthetically, but I don't buy it.

Rebecca's "believe in you and have fun" enthusiasm is scary and lovely. Hannah Waddingham was aces in that scene.

Sassy is correct again that Ted is a MESS. Glad Beard called him on it a little, but I wish ONE of the Diamond Dogs would have gotten on him a LITTLE about it. Also a little sad that Trent didn't get to join the Diamond Dogs. I guess there's always next time!

Zava got a little on my nerves this week with Zorreaux, but I did like that he gave a good interview after the mess. It's interesting that they are not showing us ANY training or how Zava is acting outside of the dressing room. When Roy and Beard have their whole magnets play, and Higgins asks if Zava will do it, they don't even try. Or there's no line about of course he won't because x or y. Yes, he stole a goal from Jamie last week (which is shit) and he was pissed he didn't get a chance to score (but also Jamie missed!) this week, but there's nothing to indicate SO FAR that he's not open to trying new stuff or working with the team. It just seems that no one will ask him, talk to him, or coach him in any way. It's very strange.

I liked seeing a return to bumbling Nate who may understand that he was wrong last year and may not be as good as his team is making him look. I now very much appreciate the hostess at his fav restaurant doesn't know who he is and is not impressed when informed. Facing the corner in the elevator made me crack up, but of course, Rupert is always there to make sure Nate doesn't actually apologize.

Rupert continues to be the worst, but I'm glad Rebecca is finally seeing that Bex is not the enemy. As mentioned in the Speculation thread, I would love to see a Rebecca alliance take Rupert down and leave him with nothing in the end.

I'm glad Keeley got to meet Jack (wild that she was funded by a company whose boss she never saw, researched, or even knew the name of - what's up, my girl?!) and things seemed to go okay. I'm sorry that Shandy had to go and screw things up, but I'm happy that Keeley was able to boss babe the situation, even if I wasn't happy with her "please" to get Shandy to change the tag line back. It's time both Keeley and Shandy remember that it's KJPR and Keeley is in charge.

While I'm happy Ted put the glass down before Facetiming Michelle and actually admitted to being "ticked off" (is that the strongest anger we'll get from him about this??) about the whole Dr. Jacob thing, I wasn't a huge fan of the crap that came afterward or that she didn't respond to his statements at all. It does seem that maybe Ted is recognizing that he's a mess, but I wish he could figure out a way to not make that Michelle's problem (except how it affects Henry, which he did not mention at all).

The game was also a mess and a little cartoony. Obviously, vengeance is not a color that Richmond can wear well, but perhaps if Beard and Roy had been allowed to show the video when the found it and TRAINED on some scenarios to work through that anger at Nate (also interesting that apparently no one knew the sign was ripped or missing except Ted, which doesn't track for the last match, but whatever) maybe it could have worked. Sure, the whole team doesn't need to get Red Carded, but c'mon Ted, trying to win is also okay?? Didn't his American football win a championship? You're trying to tell me, even in DII, that it was all Believe and hugs and not one bit about strategy and watching tape and actually trying to win the game??

Next week is Manchester City and I'm a little nervous already. Glad Roy and Jamie are working together now and hope the team can pull it together for Jamie this time.

• Like 10

Written by Brett Goldstein.   

Random thoughts:

Loved the bit with Roy putting his fingers in his ears and shouting La La La.  

Interesting that both Rebecca and Nate saw that Rupert is cheating on Bex.  It is like he really isn’t trying to hide it.  And I don’t think he is enjoying fatherhood.  

Rupert is really toying with Nate, making him call him Mr Manion in private, but allowing Rupert in public.  And that’s definitely a hooker he introduced him to.  

I think the end of Zava is coming quickly.  He doesn’t like losing. 

Keely is also getting disillusioned with Shandy… who will, I am sure, defect to the dark side if Keely has to fire her.  

Ted is unraveling.  And I think Nate really hurt him, both the video of him tearing up the sign and him refusing to shake hands.  Nate is also missing Ted as Rupert keeps him off balance and he is coming to appreciate what he had with Ted.  

• Like 10
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Rupert continues to be the worst, but I'm glad Rebecca is finally seeing that Bex is not the enemy.

Totally. It was inevitable that Rupert would keep fucking around, and will probably find a way to blame Bex. Good for Rebecca for telling him off. And Rupert showed his master manipulator side when he spoke to Nate, at first comforting him, then: "Mr. Mannion."

I like the callback to Bones & Honey from Beard's night out. :-)

Ted is definitely flailing, but that's not what the team needs right now. Sassy is right: he's a mess, and she should wait til he's in better shape, otherwise she's just Rebound Woman. (Ted wouldn't treat her badly, but he'd probably get way too involved too fast.)

They seem to be hinting that Keeley misses Jamie, but I don't believe a word of it. Roy/Keely is endgame and the sooner the better.

And Shandy screwed up when she was handed a big project; she probably gets this one as a do-over, but if she does it again, I don't think Keeley can keep her around. 

Richmond's admin all acted like asses around Jack. What's the BFD about a VC who's a woman? Rebecca at least spoke to her in Boss Bitch dialect, but everyone else was an idiot (especially Higgins.)

38 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Rebecca's "believe in you and have fun" enthusiasm is scary and lovely. Hannah Waddingham was aces in that scene.

That was some, well, ovaries to the wall acting. Brava!

Obvs, there's more pain to slog through, but as Ted helpfully pointed out previously, fairy tales have their dark parts. To quote Sondheim:

One peculiar passing moment
Must it all be either less or more,
Either plain or grand?
Is it always 'or'?
Is it never 'and'?
That's what woods are for:
For those moments in the woods...
Oh, if life were made of moments,
Even now and then a bad one--!
But if life were only moments,
Then you'd never know you had one.

Ted was right when he said there's a lot more football to be played: 38 games in a season? An American football coach gets maybe 12. You can't blow yourself out on just one...so Roy & Beard, who are now functioning well as assistants, had to hear Ted's "I'm not angry, I'm DISAPPOINTED." And I hope it does them some good.

I"m still waiting for the other shoe to drop with Zava, but I don't know that it will be him flouncing off. BUT...if he's injured, it could leave the team incapacitated (except if there's an angry young Mancunian waiting to step in).

Also...Ted made a step forward in being able to tell Michelle how he felt about Dr. Jacob. And he's right: the two of them do have to co-parent, and they are still a family. Not the one they started out as, but they are in it together. I hope Michelle does something about this. (I have the feeling that if the creepy therapist dated one patient, he probably did before. Like, you know, RUPERT and his philandering ways.)

Edited by kwnyc
More thoughts
  • Like 9

I liked those little digs Bex was making about Rupert's age. There's definitely trouble in paradise there and I'm sure Rupert will be undergoing his next divorce by the end of the season. And he'll probably get raked over even harder in this settlement as there will be child support to consider.

Loving all of Jamie's character growth.

Glad Ted told off Michelle but he was way too gentle about it. Remember Ted, if Sassy is genuinely disapproving then whatever is happening is pretty damn bad. You get to be really mad here!

And yes Ted, you are a mess. You needed to hear that from someone who's been there and come out the other side. 

Nate better hope the Richmond players never catch him alone. 

• Like 10

Loved Roy training Jamie, especially the matching headlights. As much as I hated to see Rupert be so smug to Rebecca, I’m glad the tape backfired, and Richmond didn’t win by getting angry. I want them to win by playing smart and playing together. And I want Rupert to lose and get his stupid Darth Vader coat caught in his car door. In that order.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

Ted was right when he said there's a lot more football to be played: 38 games in a season? An American football coach gets maybe 12. You can't blow yourself out on just one...so Roy & Beard, who are now functioning well as assistants, had to hear Ted's "I'm not angry, I'm DISAPPOINTED." And I hope it does them some good.

While I definitely agree (though I couldn't have told you the length of a premier league season because my football knowledge is nil!), we only have six more episodes. 😭 I dunno, I was hoping that Richmond wouldn't go quite so crazy and show Ted that wanting to win is important too.

Like, I know Richmond needed to lose this one because they can't be at the top of the table in episode 4 of 10, but I haven't seen Ted have an idea yet, not even how to try to get Zava into Believe or whatever. I don't need the lads to get 3 red cards, but seeing some fire in them and bombastic side eye to Nate was fun while it lasted.

Obviously Beard and Roy need Ted to balance them because otherwise there will be actual murder on the pitch, but I'm waiting for darts!Ted to make an appearance any time now.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

While I definitely agree (though I couldn't have told you the length of a premier league season because my football knowledge is nil!), we only have six more episodes. 😭

Actually, eight more episodes, I'm pretty sure! Which makes me happy - the added the extra two episodes later on in the process last season, but this season they've known from the start they have two more episodes than earlier to tell the story. Fingers crossed they put them to good use. And I take it this was matchweek seven, given what we saw of the table last week, meaning that they have 31 matches left to play. Lots to happen! (My team are really poor this season. I'm going to have to live vicariously through AFC Richmond.)

And sure, the way Richmond played in the second half was a bit over the top cartoonish, but... I have seen teams lose the plot like that.

4 hours ago, kwnyc said:

It was inevitable that Rupert would keep fucking around, and will probably find a way to blame Bex. Good for Rebecca for telling him off.

Yup. When Rupert said that line in episode two about men getting tired of the "same old same old", while it was a dig at Rebecca it was also a clear hint that the same thing would happen with Bex. I would love it if Rebecca and Bex become friends.

Loved Isaac testing if he'd acquired the ability to chop things in half on Jamie and Jamie being offended by it, heh.

Sweet bumbling Nate is still in there. I liked the moment where he changed his mind and put the little Ted figurine back up after knocking it down. He WANTS to not care, but he clearly does.

Shandy is a disaster waiting to happen.

Lastly, I've watched plenty of West Ham matches, and I will forever be amused by hardcore, tough-looking men angrily singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air".

Actually, lastly lastly - it's a small thing, but I really don't like they way they're styling Keeley this season. Something about the hair and the makeup, Juno Temple just looks so... harsh, or something.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Like 14
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Also - kinda can't believe that Roy (Chelsea and England LEGEND) and Jamie (star footballer and reality TV star) can just have a workout in the daylight on Richmond green. Like, I know it's pretty aesthetically, but I don't buy it.

I had the same thought: It was fun to watch (and I loved Roy’s headlamp and then Jamie’s), but I thought it was unrealistic that they wouldn’t get mobbed.

5 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

While I'm happy Ted put the glass down before Facetiming Michelle and actually admitted to being "ticked off" (is that the strongest anger we'll get from him about this??) about the whole Dr. Jacob thing, I wasn't a huge fan of the crap that came afterward or that she didn't respond to his statements at all. It does seem that maybe Ted is recognizing that he's a mess, but I wish he could figure out a way to not make that Michelle's problem (except how it affects Henry, which he did not mention at all).

I was glad that Ted was honest with Michelle, but similarly annoyed that she didn’t respond. The whole storyline bugs me, anyway. For a show that has made a concerted effort to deal with mental health issues in a fairly realistic way, it annoys the hell out of me that the storyline of Michelle dating Dr. Jacob exists. As people said last week, it is wildly unethical. I still remember going to a therapist whose introductory information packet included a list of statements about her interactions with clients, and one was, “I will not now nor ever have a sexual relationship with you.” I’ve never forgotten it because I remember thinking, “Well, obviously not…That doesn’t need to be said….right?” So this just feels like lazy, cliched writing. It shouldn’t even be happening, and so why is it? Purely for “shock value” and to upset Ted? He is (or was) heartbroken about their marriage ending. Michelle dating anyone would have upset him.

4 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Richmond's admin all acted like asses around Jack. What's the BFD about a VC who's a woman? Rebecca at least spoke to her in Boss Bitch dialect, but everyone else was an idiot (especially Higgins.)

Yeah. That was strange and off-putting. I also got the sense that Keeley and Jack might be interested in each other? 

43 minutes ago, Schweedie said:

but I really don't like they way they're styling Keeley this season. Something about the hair and the makeup, Juno Temple just looks so... harsh, or something.

Agreed. I also think Juno’s lost weight, too. I remember thinking last season, during the photo shoot at the house that she looked “harsh.” It’s made me a bit sad to watch her.

I loved the callback to first season with Nate spitting back into his drink, though this time without a server picking it up to give to someone else. There was something else that was a callback that I appreciated, but it’s 4 a.m. ET, and my insomnia is making my brain foggy. 

I also loved the scene at the bar, and Baz turning on his friend who showed up after Mae blasted him made me laugh loudly.

I’ve really enjoyed these last two episodes, but I am still not interested in a Nate redemption arc. 

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Turtle Wexler said:

I loved the callback to first season with Nate spitting back into his drink, though this time without a server picking it up to give to someone else. There was something else that was a callback that I appreciated, but it’s 4 a.m. ET, and my insomnia is making my brain foggy. 

If you don't mean a callback specifically to do with Nate, maybe it was the "Oklahoma" from Rebecca when Ted said he was okay? I loved that moment.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Turtle Wexler said:

but I really don't like they way they're styling Keeley this season. Something about the hair and the makeup, Juno Temple just looks so... harsh, or something.

I usually don't notice stuff like that but I agree here. I can't quite figure out what it is. I guess the actress Juno Temple could have lost weight but I actually think it is the way they have styled her this season. It seems like there are a lot of outfits with pink in them and somehow the way her hair looks always pulled up combined with her really light makeup it just looks different. From the side the combo of her hair up and her makeup makes her neck look longer to me for some reason. (fat old male fan backs away from daring to criticize anyone's looks ...... lol)

I am a little down so far. I was happy when they came back with episode 2 but something seems off. 

Ted seems to just be in the background this year and for some reason his puns are just not hitting. (or maybe they are fewer?) When I think back to past seasons I feel I laughed more at his lines. I am thinking of the time when Roy had that bad game and dunked himself in the trashcan full of ice and Ted mentioned that he looked like Oscar the Grouch or when he and Higgins would trade quips that I thought were clever.

I think basically it may be that Ted seemed the center of attention in the past seasons and for some reason this year he seems like a tertiary character and is just there to tie together other people's stories.

I am not sure how I feel about Rebecca. I really liked her better when she was the true heel against Ted. The new Rebecca doesn't seem as strong and lately , even though Hannah Waddingham has been killing it acting wise, she seems to caught up in hoping that she can somehow one up Rupert. She has her flashes - as when she went out after Zava but we will see.

Edited by sjankis630
  • Like 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, Schweedie said:

And sure, the way Richmond played in the second half was a bit over the top cartoonish, but... I have seen teams lose the plot like that.

That's actually realistic in action...a young team (aside from Zava, they all skew fairly young) sometimes has to get its ass handed to it in order to mature and act right. It was a particularly painful learning experience for everyone at Richmond. (I actually used to be a sportswriter...though never as high up as Trent Crimm, The Independent), and I'll bet Ted had to teach his D2 boys at Wichita State how to bounce back, too.

(And I only know it's 38 games because Ted mentioned it in Episode 1). It's closer in length to a college basketball season!)

Edited by kwnyc
  • Like 3
(edited)

I'm still laughing at the names of some of Zava's kids: Shmingus Dingus, Angry and Ugly. There's a fourth one that I can't remember.

ETA: I rewatched the episode, the 4th kid's name was Dirty. 

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 7
8 hours ago, Schweedie said:

it's a small thing, but I really don't like they way they're styling Keeley this season. Something about the hair and the makeup, Juno Temple just looks so... harsh, or something

She looks gaunt. I don’t know her from anything other than this show, but from pictures of her that I’ve seen online, she wasn’t always so thin.

• Like 10
  • Useful 3
58 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

Something is off this season..
It is like if everyone is tired or something, actors, directors, writers, there is no spark, no joy.. 

There definitely is some joy missing, but I’m actually thinking it’s deliberate. Ted is sad and upset for good reason. Roy broke up with Keeley, and although we don’t know the exact reasoning, it’s clearly affected both of them. Rebecca is still letting Rupert get under her skin.

Everybody is a little sadder than they were last year. It’s not a wrong writing choice. The show would be kind of tedious if it was just silliness and puns all the time. For now I’m trusting the writers to know what they are doing. Hopefully things will turn up in later episodes.

• Like 24
(edited)

Damn it Ted, stop missing appointments with Dr. Sharon!!! You're a mess and it affects your job performance (even if other performances seem okay according to Dr. Sassy). You left your team in crisis - why the hell did you walk off and leave Beard and Roy in charge at such a volatile moment? Props to talk to your wife, baby steps I guess.

Keeley needs to step up her game too. Not knowing her actual boss is really not a good look, and neither is her inability to see that Shandy is not right for the job (or needs a lot more monitoring/mentoring). 

If Nate does not catch up soon on Rupert's mind games (the whole 'Rupert' - 'Mr Mannion' thing) he's beyond redemption for sheer stupidity. And he's not stupid. It's also interesting that they showed him noticing Rupert being handsy with his assistant.

I loved Bex going all ageist on Rupert, it clearly irks him. I do hope she and Rebecca will join forces in bringing him down.

Sassy being all polite with the Uber driver and complimenting his car seats after Ted had told her how he gets his five rating was a nice touch of writing.

ETA: I take Sam not participating in the bantr thingy as confirmation that he and the chef are (on their way to becoming) an item.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
51 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Damn it Ted, stop missing appointments with Dr. Sharon!!!

Are you talking about him looking at his cell phone?  I thought the appointments were for Doc too, but I rewound and he was brooding over messages reminding him of appointments with Dr. Jake back when Ted was going to marriage counseling in Kansas.   Nonetheless, I agree that one expression of being "ticked off" doesn't negate Ted's need for more work in therapy.  Stat! 

I've been thinking about that Facetime call and Michelle's reaction to it.  Although Ted says that Jake and Michelle "ganged up" on him during couples therapy, I can't help but wonder if Ted handled those sessions -- and indeed most attempts to discuss his marital problems -- with the same kind of humorous deflections that characterized his first interactions with Sharon.  Michelle seemed surprised and taken aback, in a good way, by Ted's monologue.   That may have been one of the few times he's admitted feeling bad or angry since she's known him.  

@Girl in a Cardigan, I agree so much that the game would have gone differently if the Richmond players had seen that video three or four days before that game.  I also felt that the show dropped the ball, so to say, by not showing any attempt by Ted to mitigate their anger in the few minutes he had before the second half.  But then that wouldn't have led to the immediate breakdown that took place when the players went back on the pitch.  

Zava's little conversation with "Van Damme" struck me as a little too cute by far.  Zava just didn't want to be bothered by remembering how to pronounce Zoreaux's name.  He does that kind of thing anytime anyone challenges him.  See, e.g., Avocados and West African cuisine.  

God Rupert is awful.  I'm getting to be like Rebecca.  I want to beat HIM, and not necessarily West Ham.  Nate's attempts to apologize to Ted are over as long as he's sleeping with groupies.   Jade has seemed like a bitch in her initial interactions with Nate, but I did like the fact that she remained unimpressed after her manager all but licked Nate for being "famous."  Maybe he needs someone like her to show him that the perks of fame are less about who you are than what people want from you.  

ETA, I may end up disliking Shandy more than Rupert.  Watch out Keeley.  Shandy loves being "the boss." 

Edited by Thalia
  • Like 9
(edited)

When Michelle didn't say anything during Ted's unloading, I was worried that the screen had frozen and he'd been talking to himself the whole time. It'd be nice for her to acknowledge that it's pretty fucked up to be in a relationship with their couples therapist, but for some reason the characters seem to be mostly acting as if Jacob had been a close mutual friend of theirs. I couldn't tell if the look on her face at the end was guilt, or relief at Ted finally getting his feelings out.

Seems as though Nate will be getting a redemption arc after all. Meh. It's nice that he apparently feels a little remorseful about how he's handled things, but I'd prefer to see him hit rock bottom first, and not just have to endure Rupert dropping the nice guy facade. But at least he didn't exhibit any incel behavior towards the hostess.

Keeley's story arc this season is reminding me of those dreams I occasionally get where I'm suddenly back in school out of the blue and realize I have final exams that day even though I haven't been to a single class and don't even know what the subject is or where to find the classroom. Like she just woke up as CEO one day totally unprepared and now is 100% winging it. At least she had enough common sense that the app wouldn't want its tagline to be along the lines of "maybe you'll get to fuck a celebrity!"

Since shadowing the team, Trent is getting more drama than he probably anticipated, and he loves it.

Edited by dmeets
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Rupert is really toying with Nate, making him call him Mr Manion in private, but allowing Rupert in public.  And that’s definitely a hooker he introduced him to. 

Nate remarked that she was famous--I assumed she was a model or something.

14 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Totally. It was inevitable that Rupert would keep fucking around, and will probably find a way to blame Bex. Good for Rebecca for telling him off. And Rupert showed his master manipulator side when he spoke to Nate, at first comforting him, then: "Mr. Mannion."

That was perfectly played. And at the end at the Bone & Honey, Nate called him "Mr. Mannion" but it was back to "Rupert" again. Don't know if Rupert is using the familiarity as a reward for good performance, or if he's deliberately *always* correcting Nate, making him wrong no matter what he says.

13 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

While I definitely agree (though I couldn't have told you the length of a premier league season because my football knowledge is nil!), we only have six more episodes. 😭 I dunno, I was hoping that Richmond wouldn't go quite so crazy and show Ted that wanting to win is important too.

Like, I know Richmond needed to lose this one because they can't be at the top of the table in episode 4 of 10, but I haven't seen Ted have an idea yet, not even how to try to get Zava into Believe or whatever. I don't need the lads to get 3 red cards, but seeing some fire in them and bombastic side eye to Nate was fun while it lasted.

Obviously Beard and Roy need Ted to balance them because otherwise there will be actual murder on the pitch, but I'm waiting for darts!Ted to make an appearance any time now.

Yes, this is exactly what we need from Ted! Clearly, he hasn't been in a good place so far this season, and that's affecting his work. I don't know what precisely he needs to get back to himself, but I'm looking forward to that moment, whenever it finally comes.

10 hours ago, Schweedie said:

Sweet bumbling Nate is still in there. I liked the moment where he changed his mind and put the little Ted figurine back up after knocking it down. He WANTS to not care, but he clearly does.

I really liked that moment too. It was wonderfully played by Nick Mohammed. I still feel like the show would have to work hard to earn it, but this was the first episode where I felt like I might be able to get behind a Nate redemption arc.

Things I loved:

• Roy training Jamie
  • Sassy hearing about how Ted has a 5-star Uber rating--it cracked me up that he offers to drive when they seem tired
  • Beard and Roy walking Higgins through their layers of strategy/mind games for the West Ham game, then Roy punching the board when Higgins asked if Zava would do the false nine
  • Rebecca very *emphatically* believing in Ted
  • The whole Diamond Dogs scene, especially the guys going, "Here, Roy!" and making dog-beckoning noises when Roy chimed in from the other room. At the very least, though, I need Trent to *see* the next Diamond Dogs sessions--I really need his reaction
  • Dani's "oldest friend" Javier--"I've only known him for a few months, but he turns 108 next week."
  • The one commentator saying that he's stopped making predictions because he was worried that he was *making* them come true, lol

You could feel the tension in the locker room when Zoreaux (now Van Damme) corrected Zava on how to say his name. Zava didn't flip out on him or anything, but his "you can be anyone you want" spiel was clearly some deflection BS. It was so slimy when he asked *why* it was pronounced "Zoreaux." The cracks are starting to show in this dynamic.

Now that Keeley has her own firm and this money behind her, I think she feels a ton of pressure to be the type of PR person she thinks she's *supposed* to be, not the one that she is. That's making her second-guess herself and be less confident. (I'm sure it also doesn't help that she and Roy are broken up right now.) We got a good scene from her with Barbara in episode 2, but I think there might be more hard stuff ahead before she's able to really get her mojo back.

• Like 11
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Xantar said:

There definitely is some joy missing, but I’m actually thinking it’s deliberate.

That was my first thought also, however I do not think it is done successfully or it is too compatible with the show.. they are not good doing so much misery I think.

• Useful 1
21 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

That was my first thought also, however I do not think it is done successfully or it is too compatible with the show.. they are not good doing so much misery I think.

I think that this is because the show was written for a three season arc.  26 episodes have been shown with only eight to go.  They need to raise the stakes over the next few episodes to ensure a satisfying payoff by the end.   

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I know we’re still in the dark forest  and I agree with others, it is definitely intentional. Everyone (maybe not Sam) is miserable in some way, and while I trust it will work out, I’m getting impatient!  We’ve had about 4 hours of set up so far, every episode just throws more problems and new people into the mix. I’m hoping now everything is in place so they can start making progress and we can feel mucho mucho joy again soon.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, sjankis630 said:

I guess the actress Juno Temple could have lost weight but I actually think it is the way they have styled her this season.

I noticed in at least one of the Keeley/Juno Temple closeups on a ginormous TV screen that she had dark blue mauve shadow applied to just below her cheekbones. They would only do that on someone as slim as she already is to make her look gaunt. It was right before she told Rebecca she was nervous about meeting Jack and needed to go apply some lip liner. This led to the wonderful scene of talking to the shoes in the bathroom/loo stall, but pale lips and gaunt cheeks are both signs of serious illness IRL. 😟 I can't imagine how having Keeley ill would fit in to this wrap up of the series, but she just got her period, so we know she's not pg. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Schweedie said:

If you don't mean a callback specifically to do with Nate, maybe it was the "Oklahoma" from Rebecca when Ted said he was okay? I loved that moment.

Yes! Thank you! That’s been bugging me all day! I loved it, too.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, dmeets said:

Keeley's story arc this season is reminding me of those dreams I occasionally get where I'm suddenly back in school out of the blue and realize I have final exams that day even though I haven't been to a single class and don't even know what the subject is or where to find the classroom.

OMG! Yes I remember the "stress" dreams I used to get when I started work I would find myself back in college. Mine dreams were I was going to graduate but I suddenly realized that there was a class that I went to once (to get the syllabus ) and then never again thus negating me being able to graduate. I don't tell anyone but tell myself that if I can just speak to the professor and promise to make up the work then I can walk at graduation...

I would run and run around campus but never find the class and wake up nervous. Although I do remember one time I did finally find the classroom but when I got there it was a basket weaving class and I was back out running again .......

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 6

Dani's joke about his oldest friend cracked me up.  A little too much, tbh.

Shandy can go away any time now.

Rupert is pretty awful all around.  Bex is snarky.  Ha!

I knew glitter sneakers was gonna be Jack.

I loved Beard and Roy inviting Ted to yell at them for their colossal mistep.

I miss the pub crew. We are only getting little drips of them, I need some substantial time with them.

NGL, Zava's slo-mo walk to 'Rebirth of Slick' was pretty cool like that.

Enjoying the commentators at the game.  So many sly, funny lines. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm all in with Nate's redemption arc but it was a bit sudden to me.  Like I missed an episode or something. . Was it time that made him less angry with Ted? Was it winning? Was it his relationship with Rupert? Ted not saying mean things to him? Was him realizing that he got to where he is because Ted gave him an opportunity to coach? All of the above? There's such a change between Nate from the first episode from this season to this one (although in the timeline of the show more time has passed than 4 weeks). 

Last season was very clear to me when and why things started to unravel in Nates mind (Rainbow - the episode where he met Jade and spit for the first time). This one was a bit weird. 

I thought it was interesting how Colin made a joke about some guy and Trent catching on. Have no idea where this is going.

I really liked Rebecca and Bex interaction. I found myself wanting more from this storyline. 

Edited by braziliangirl
  • Like 5
11 minutes ago, braziliangirl said:

I thought it was interesting how Colin made a joke about some guy and Trent catching on. Have no idea where this is going.

Maybe Trent will diffuse some outing of Colin by saying or writing about how everyone already knew Colin was gay.

• Useful 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, Schweedie said:

I would love it if Rebecca and Bex become friends.

Eh, I really don't think we need Bex on the show, and I don't think Rebecca and Bex have much in common. What I would like to see and what I think would make a good story, is Bex and Rupert getting a divorce, Bex being resentful and angry that Rupert cheated on her and Rebecca telling Bex to let it go, to just take him to the cleaners, get her money and let all that anger go, because as long as she's angry Rupert will have power over her - which is exactly the lesson Rebecca has to realize herself and let this fucking dick go. It would be an awesome moment if Rebecca could really pass on Bex (and Bex accept it) that no man is worth your bitterness. And then Rebecca freeing herself from Rupert. The power was always within herself.

Nate can fuck himself. I wanted to wipe the smirk of his face when the restaurant manager said 'from a manager to another' and he replied 'not quite the same'. Fuck you, you asshole. He can not be nice to the people he thinks is beneath him, he bullied Will, the players when he became coach, etc. Nate is awful.

No way these three bags would feed a team.

I don't think Rupert really knows what happened with Nate/Ted, and the whole Rupert/Mr. Mannion is shitty, but based on what he knows, the advice he gave Nate about how to treat Ted ('you say hello, look him in the eye, shake his hand and then beat him') was actually quite good.

Zava is a farse, he never apologized to Zoreaux, and he is always deflecting. He is good at what does - he excells at it - but he is not a team person, which is not to mean he is not a team player. I don't think the show is going there, but it would nice if he actually became a bit more of one of the boys. On the other hand I resent that in three episodes I know more about Zava than I know about Isaac, Jan Maas and Dani.

Loved Roy and Jamie.

Shandy can go now.  She thinks she's the boss, but she's not and she's actually hurting Keeley's job.

Why they are making Keeley stupid? The whole point of the character is how smart and quick thinking she is, she may not have gone to Oxford (aham, Barbara), but she was never dumb. No way she wouldn't have Googled Jack and the other big bosses of the company that funded her or checked Linkedn.

Hannah's 'I believe in you' delivery was hilarious.

Ted, for all his shortcomings as a football coach, for all he doesn't know a lot of football after two seasons of coaching football, knows his players, knows his is team, and is an excellent judge of people. He knew showing the tape would do no good.

Loved his chat - more like a monologue with Michelle. He need to say these things and not bottle up his feelings and cover it up with endless jokes; like Sassy said he's a mess, but different than last season, this time he's actually aware of that and trying to work on things.

I love Sassy. I really wish that somehow things would work bettween her and Ted in the future.

Ten bucks that Colin is getting outed in two episodes, top.

I know some think the show is sad and yadda yadda yadda, but I think it's a natural flow for the charcters, the story. And I think that they are sort of hitting rock bottom, maybe next episode too, and then it's up and move forward until they wrap the final season on a high note Ted Lasso style - as in not champions, but still in the league, still playing, a silly family, etc.

'We're playing like Italians', 'I know, it's awesome' - best two lines of the entire episode, LOL.

Edited by Raachel2008
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

Eh, I really don't think we need Bex on the show, and I don't think Rebecca and Bex have much in common. What I would like to see and what I think would make a good story, is Bex and Rupert getting a divorce, Bex being resentful and angry that Rupert cheated on her and Rebecca telling Bex to let it go, to just take him to the cleaners, get her money and let all that anger go, because as long as she's angry Rupert will have power over her - which is exactly the lesson Rebecca has to realize herself and let this fucking dick go. It would be an awesome moment if Rebecca could really pass on Bex (and Bex accept it) that no man is worth your bitterness.

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean like a prolonged storyline or anything - just a scene or two of them being friendly and Rebecca hopefully helping Bex accept and move past things, as you say. 

I love Sassy. I really wish that somehow things would work bettween her and Ted in the future.

Me too! A lot of people seem to dislike her (and compare her to Shandy) for being so brash, but I love her. I think she's honest and funny and cares a lot about the people in her life. I wouldn't mind her and Ted together at all once he's less of a mess.

I know some think the show is sad and yadda yadda yadda, but I think it's a natural flow for the charcters, the story. And I think that they are sort of hitting rock bottom, maybe next episode too, and then it's up and move forward until they wrap the final season on a high note Ted Lasso style - as in not champions, but still in the league, still playing, a silly family, etc.

Yup. If this is the final season, they need to bring us properly down if the emotional payoff is going to feel truly satisfying in the end. (And as much as I love this show, a part of me wants this to be the final season. I think that would make sense.) And I honestly don't mind the show being sadder this season - I'm still laughing a lot at funny moments. Maybe not so much in this episode, but episodes 2 and 3 had lots of laughs for me.

• Like 10
18 hours ago, angora said:

or if he's deliberately *always* correcting Nate, making him wrong no matter what he says.

This.   Also the "Mr Mannion" was when they were alone and the "Rupert" was when there were others around to witness how magnanimous he's being with his staff.  

21 hours ago, kwnyc said:

I actually thought that was a good way to have them lose.  If they play their hearts out and lose to Nate/Rupert than that's just heartbreaking.  But if they're foaming at the mouth, behaving like lunatics, losing by a high score, they can blame the video on their performance and Nate can't appreciate the win as much as if they had played lights out  and lost. 

• Like 8
20 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Sassy being all polite with the Uber driver and complimenting his car seats after Ted had told her how he gets his five rating was a nice touch of writing.

I'm hard of hearing in my right ear and the British accents are super hard to understand, they seem to be at a pitch that's just below my hearing.  So even though I have my volume at 100, I still didn't get that whole conversation (and thought they were rating their sex!!).  Had to come here to find out what was being said and in what context.  Now that I understand it, it's hilarious on the nose that Ted's rating is so high, because of course it is.  

• Like 5
18 hours ago, angora said:

but this was the first episode where I felt like I might be able to get behind a Nate redemption arc.

It's funny because I'm at the opposite table on this one.  I would have been ok with a redemption arc, until this episode.  The ripping of the Believe sign last season just gutted me and cemented by hate for Nate (ooh I made a rhyme!!) so having it come back into play and having the players not be aware that it had been ripped and then showing us the video, which shows us that Nate ripped it up after the team had won their game, that was it for me.  Short of Nate giving up his life to save Ted, Beard, Roy, Rebeca, Danny, HIggings and Sam, nothing he does will win me back.  

• Like 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Did anybody notice the dedication at the end of the episode? It was to Grant Wahl, the sportswriter who died at the World Cup in December. At one point in the ep, Coach Beard had a book tucked under his arm, and it was Wahl’s The Beckham Experiment.

I knew that Beard's books always have something to do with the episode.  I saw it was titled The Beckham Experiment, but don't know enough about soccer to figure out how Beckham tied into it.  Thanks for putting it together for us :) 

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

Eh, I really don't think we need Bex on the show, and I don't think Rebecca and Bex have much in common. What I would like to see and what I think would make a good story, is Bex and Rupert getting a divorce, Bex being resentful and angry that Rupert cheated on her and Rebecca telling Bex to let it go, to just take him to the cleaners, get her money and let all that anger go, because as long as she's angry Rupert will have power over her - which is exactly the lesson Rebecca has to realize herself and let this fucking dick go. It would be an awesome moment if Rebecca could really pass on Bex (and Bex accept it) that no man is worth your bitterness. And then Rebecca freeing herself from Rupert. The power was always within herself.

Nate can fuck himself. I wanted to wipe the smirk of his face when the restaurant manager said 'from a manager to another' and he replied 'not quite the same'. Fuck you, you asshole. He can not be nice to the people he thinks is beneath him, he bullied Will, the players when he became coach, etc. Nate is awful.

No way these three bags would feed a team.

I don't think Rupert really knows what happened with Nate/Ted, and the whole Rupert/Mr. Mannion is shitty, but based on what he knows, the advice he gave Nate about how to treat Ted ('you say hello, look him in the eye, shake his hand and then beat him') was actually quite good.

Zava is a farse, he never apologized to Zoreaux, and he is always deflecting. He is good at what does - he excells at it - but he is not a team person, which is not to mean he is not a team player. I don't think the show is going there, but it would nice if he actually became a bit more of one of the boys. On the other hand I resent that in three episodes I know more about Zava than I know about Isaac, Jan Maas and Dani.

Loved Roy and Jamie.

Shandy can go now.  She thinks she's the boss, but she's not and she's actually hurting Keeley's job.

Why they are making Keeley stupid? The whole point of the character is how smart and quick thinking she is, she may not have gone to Oxford (aham, Barbara), but she was never dumb. No way she wouldn't have Googled Jack and the other big bosses of the company that funded her or checked Linkedn.

Hannah's 'I believe in you' delivery was hilarious.

Ted, for all his shortcomings as a football coach, for all he doesn't know a lot of football after two seasons of coaching football, knows his players, knows his is team, and is an excellent judge of people. He knew showing the tape would do no good.

Loved his chat - more like a monologue with Michelle. He need to say these things and not bottle up his feelings and cover it up with endless jokes; like Sassy said he's a mess, but different than last season, this time he's actually aware of that and trying to work on things.

Ten bucks that Colin is getting outed in two episodes, top.

'We're playing like Italians', 'I know, it's awesome' - best two lines of the entire episode, LOL.

re the bolded:  My son has played American football all the way through college and something I noticed his frosh year of college is that the head coach isn't really about the plays and the day to day football operations, that is what his hand picked staff is for.  The head coach is exactly how you described it.  They're the guy who gets in the head of the player (in a good way).  

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

I'm hard of hearing in my right ear and the British accents are super hard to understand, they seem to be at a pitch that's just below my hearing.  So even though I have my volume at 100, I still didn't get that whole conversation (and thought they were rating their sex!!).  Had to come here to find out what was being said and in what context.  Now that I understand it, it's hilarious on the nose that Ted's rating is so high, because of course it is.  

Closed captioning is your friend!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

I keep trying to assume Keeley is faking being stupid. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

52 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

re the bolded:  My son has played American football all the way through college and something I noticed his frosh year of college is that the head coach isn't really about the plays and the day to day football operations, that is what his hand picked staff is for.  The head coach is exactly how you described it.  They're the guy who gets in the head of the player (in a good way).  

A lot of this is how industries describe great leaders and leadership skills. They exaggerate Ted's ignorance of the sport for comedy but some good leaders don't need to be specialized in their area of expertise. In real life, leaders have to delegate the day to day things. They have people in charge of strategy, finances, tactics, etc. It's a public role too and having charisma like Ted does is important. It makes his team and employees respond to him. He knows how to motivate them. I grew up watching the Premier League, but as I got older, I find myself observing and appreciating the gaffers more. The players age out and move away, but managers have longer careers. A few managers are hired on the corporate talking circuit because of how they have transformed their clubs. Whatever happens, I'd really like Trent Crimm to write about Ted's career one day, maybe an authorized memoirs. There has to be a book deal there!

I agree Keeley's styling has been quite awful this season. I've never liked her style, but they've really overdone it. Juno has been working on three shows in the last couple of years too.

I like Sassy too and wish we saw more of her. I like how refreshingly blunt she is, but it doesn't feel mean unless it's about Rupert. I would like her and Ted to work out when he's done more work on his life post-divorce. Ted should also be with someone who is more forthright and can handle his over exuberance.

I love Rebecca and Ted's friendship and I wouldn't like if they ended up together romantically. I actually didn't hate the Rebecca/Sam thing either but I don't necessarily want them back together. I rather Rebecca stay single and adopt or get a surrogate.

• Like 14
  • Love 2

Ted may not be an expert at coaching football (soccer), but his instincts were correct.  Richmond was holding its own until the last seconds of the first period.  Showing the video to the team during the break caused the complete breakdown, and that was all on Coach Beard and Roy.  Ted's refusing to yell at them to make them feel less guilty was the perfect Ted-ism, too.

Do opposing coaches really stand that close together through the game?  That would be incredibly awkward.

Does anyone think they're changing Keeley and building up her "away from Richmond world" because they're thinking of giving her a series of her own?

• Like 4

I had to sit with this episode for a bit.  

I love Sassy.

I don’t care enough about Nate to wish for a redemption arc.  Seeing his bumbling did nothing for me, though I did laugh at how hard it was for him to get to the Believe sign.  They kept showing his Lego piece on Ted’s and Henry’s construction set; that plus the guys talking about how he should be angry at Nate gives me hope that Ted will finally be able to address him and walk away.

Keeley confuses me right now.  I loved her relationship with Roy and the team.  Surrounding her with all these new people and dumping Shandy on her is making her measurably less interesting to me.

Michelle should have tried to apologize.  Then Ted could have stopped her to continue his monologue and hung up.  Having her just sit there while he spoke wasn’t a good look.

Rebecca pulling Rupert aside to tell him to do better by Bex and Diane is already growth.  As Ted said, “She’s already won.”  Of course he ignored her.  

Already eagerly awaiting the next episode!

• Like 9

A security camera in a locker room? I don't know if that's a good idea .... 

And Ted knew all along that the sign was ripped and who ripped it, right - wouldn't he have been the one that fixed it? 

But yes, Trent is obviously Hoffman

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Athena said:

I agree Keeley's styling has been quite awful this season. I've never liked her style, but they've really overdone it. Juno has been working on three shows in the last couple of years too.

Oh my goodness, yes.  Whoever is in charge of her hair is doing a terrible job.  I hate the flat stringy look.  And since Juno is looking extra sharp in the face (It really looks like she's lost some weight) that  flat, stringy hair really doesn't make her look like Lady Executive but rather like an office worker.  Shandy's look is better, for goodness sake.

• Like 2

That certainly took a turn, the guys went so hard on the other team, it was a bit disturbing to watch. Even Sam and Dani, normally the sweetest guys around, were getting into the rough play, Ted was right that showing them the video was the wrong call. Maybe if they had showed it to the guys a few days before they could have challenged that righteous indignation, but it was too raw so they screwed everything up. This season really has been a lot darker than we have seen in the past, but it feels natural, everything that's happening has clearly been built up from what happened last season and I feel like we need this to really pull ourselves out of the hole. 

Sassy is right, as usual, Ted really is a mess. He still struggles so much with dealing with any kind of difficult emotion and being honest about how he feels, he cant even admit that Nate's behavior has really hurt him, even if its completely obvious to everyone. He at least took a step in the right direction when he talked to Michelle about how upset he is about her dating their marriage counselor. Even beyond this being an enormous breach of ethics, dating a former patient is just about one of the worst things a therapist can do, but they're co-parents, Ted should know if his son is hanging out with a new person. If one parent is in a serious relationship that's the kind of thing that the other one should know about. I wish that Michelle had apologized for how messy all of this is and how badly she's handled things, interesting that she looked rather proud of Ted for having some real talk with her. That's really all she wanted from Ted in their relationship. 

Also interesting the look that Trent Crimm gave Colin when he jokes about hitting on a male sportscaster, I don't think Trent will out him but I do think that they're going to have a talk. 

Keeley not even knowing that her boss is a woman is not a great look. Keeley continues to struggle with being CEO, which is understandable as this is a huge change from anything she's ever done, but I hope she gets it together soon. Its like she's still playing dress up in girl boss clothes instead of just being herself. Having Shandy around isn't helping, she's going to majorly screw up and I don't know if Keeley is in a place right now where she can fire a friend. 

Looks like we are heading towards the Nate redemption arc, which I have mixed feelings about. I don't think he's beyond redemption and he clearly does feel bad about how he's treated Ted, but I don't know if he's actually going to change as a person even as he realizes he's made a mistake. I don't want it to feel like he came back to Ted just because Rupert is a supervillain who's showing his true colors, I want him to see the flaws in himself and really work on them, taking responsibility for how much he hurt someone who cares about him. 

• Like 9