Type keyword(s) to search

Blue Beetle (2023)

Trini
  • Start Topic

(edited)

https://twitter.com/bluebeetle

https://www.instagram.com/bluebeetle/

Recent college grad Jaime Reyes returns home full of aspirations for his future, only to find that home is not quite as he left it. As he searches to find his purpose in the world, fate intervenes when Jaime unexpectedly finds himself in possession of an ancient relic of alien biotechnology: the Scarab. When the Scarab suddenly chooses Jaime to be its symbiotic host, he is bestowed with an incredible suit of armor capable of extraordinary and unpredictable powers, forever changing his destiny as he becomes the Super Hero BLUE BEETLE.

From Warner Bros. Pictures comes the feature film “Blue Beetle,” marking the DC Super Hero’s first time on the big screen. The film, directed by Angel Manuel Soto, stars Xolo Maridueña in the title role as well as his alter ego, Jaime Reyes.

<...>

Starring alongside Maridueña (“Cobra Kai”) are Adriana Barraza (“Rambo: Last Blood,” “Thor”), Damían Alcázar (“Narcos,” “Narcos: Mexico”), Elpidia Carrillo (“Mayans M.C.,” the “Predator” films), Bruna Marquezine (“Maldivas,” “God Save the King”), Raoul Max Trujillo (the “Sicario” films, “Mayans M.C.”), with Oscar winner Susan Sarandon (“Monarch,” “Dead Man Walking”), and George Lopez (the “Rio and “Smurf” franchises). The film also stars Belissa Escobedo (“American Horror Stories,” “Hocus Pocus 2”) and Harvey Guillén (“What We Do in the Shadows”). Soto (“Charm City Kings,” “The Farm”) directs from a screenplay by Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer (“Miss Bala”), based on characters from DC.

John Rickard and Zev Foreman are producing, with Walter Hamada, Galen Vaisman and Garrett Grant serving as executive producers. The director’s creative team behind the scenes includes director of photography Pawel Pogorzelski (“Midsommar,” “Hereditary”), production designer John Billington (“Bad Boys for Life”), editor Craig Alpert (“Deadpool 2,” “The Lost City”), Oscar-nominated costume designer Mayes C. Rubeo (“Jojo Rabbit,” the “Thor” films), visual effects supervisor Kelvin McIlwain (“The Suicide Squad,” “Aquaman”) and composer Bobby Krlic (“Midsommar,” the “Snowpiercer” series).

A Warner Bros. Pictures Presentation, a Safran Company Production, “Blue Beetle” soars into theaters only internationally beginning August 2023 and in North America August 18, 2023. It will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Edited by Trini

Looks fun but the ending was very Power Rangers. Too bad it’s hard to get excited about any movie created under Hamada. Even when the characters are unique the movies all feel like they are copying other superhero movies. 

Blue Beetle also had a presence at Cinemacon, even though it didn't get as much attention.  Xolo Maridueña and Bruna Marquezine had a nice little interview here (video): https://www.etonline.com/media/videos/blue-beetle-how-xolo-mariduena-and-bruna-marquezine-learned-they-were-cast-exclusive

And another trailer was shown with more action clips, described here: https://gizmodo.com/furiosa-warner-bros-cinemacon-joker-2-wonka-meg-2-aqua-1850376534

Fairly lenghty article at MovieMaker magazine; also some photos: 'In Blue Beetle, Xolo Maridueña and Ángel Manuel Soto Tell a Magical Realist Superhero Story'

excerpt:

Maridueña thinks one of the most important and exciting things about Blue Beetle is that “we aren’t dealing with an alien invasion that’s going to take over the whole world, or a monster that’s going to destroy the city. … This is a movie about issues that not only Jaime faces, but the whole Reyes family, and greater Palmera City. All of us can relate to their struggle.”

Jaime Reyes is optimistic and a hard worker. He’s dotted every i and crossed every t, but somehow, he’s drawn the short end of the stick since leaving Gotham. The entire Reyes family is really an archetype of the American Dream gone awry. 

The film’s themes aren’t heavy-handed or politically coded. But at its most human level, the family’s story is about something that’s on almost everyone’s minds these days: economic insecurity.

“That was something that I really connected with as someone who is constantly having to work a little bit harder for the same thing as some of my acting counterparts,” says Maridueña. “Exploring this family that really deserves more was such a pleasure. Hopefully we highlight some real issues people face.” 

MM148-COVER_Blue-Beetle-1180x1527.jpg

• Like 1
(edited)

Blue Beetle Runtime Makes It One of the DCEU's Shortest Movies
By Richard Nebens  July 19, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/blue-beetle-runtime-dceu-shortest-movies 

An AMC Theaters listing for DC Studios' Blue Beetle revealed the new DCEU movie's runtime, coming in at 2 hours and 7 minutes long.

Compared to the rest of the franchise, it ranks as the fifth-shortest movie in the DCEU, just three minutes shorter than 2023's Shazam! Fury of the Gods and two minutes longer than both 2022's Black Adam and 2016's Suicide Squad.

Edited by tv echo

Quotes from Xolo Maridueña and director Angel Manuel Soto in this article: 'Blue Beetle’s Long Journey to the Big Screen'

excerpt:

This year, Jaime finally makes the jump to the big screen in Soto’s Blue Beetle. But, as Soto tells us, at first, he wasn’t sure it was the right project for him. “I didn’t want it to be another story where 15 minutes in, something happens, and 50 minutes later, he’s dominating the experience, and by the end, he’s saving the world. I get it, I enjoy it, I go watch those movies and eat the popcorn and it’s fun, but it was hard for me to relate to an experience like that,” Soto explained. “If someone gives me a lot of power, the first thing I’d do is say, ‘I don’t want it.’ I just wanna provide for my family; I don’t need it, more power, more problems!” 

That mindset led him to pursue a more grounded take on Jaime, which Soto — along with writer Gareth Dunnet Alcocer — saw as a way to explore Jaime stepping up to the call of being a hero. As he explains, “He’s not going to save the world yet; he doesn’t deserve to yet. We wanted to find a way to really explore his growth, how it relates to how his family and community see him in this role, as well as how his relationship with Khaji grows as well.” 

It also does a good job of introducing the character if one is unfamiliar.

'‘Blue Beetle’ Star Xolo Maridueña Calls Strike ‘The Right Side of History’ in Heartfelt Message to Fans (Video)'

^ GIves a shout out to the cast and crew before the actors strike prevented him from doing promotion.

----

''Blue Beetle' Could Be the Superhero Movie We Need Right Now '

...  Survival of the fittest aside, Blue Beetle has a number of elements working in its favor. It is the first live-action superhero film with a Latino lead. Not as part of a team, not as a secondary hero, not comic relief, not as a diversity checkmark. Blue Beetle is the guy, and actor Xolo Maridueña appears to be ready to take that mantle on. It's fair, arguably, to say that the Latino community has been largely underserved as far as major tentpole superhero films are concerned. With the call for diversity stronger now than at any other time in history, the timing couldn't be better for the character. And because the character's roots are already in the Latin community, the racial criticisms of yet another character being "woke-washed" shouldn't (and, sadly, "shouldn't" is the key word here) be nearly as widespread as the recent backlash against Latina actress Rachel Zegler for playing Snow White in the upcoming live-action adaptation of the Disney classic.

Blue Beetle also has a few cards up its sleeve that frees it from elements that have largely hindered other recent superhero film releases. First of all, it's a straight-forward superhero flick. White hat vs. black hats. There are no multiverses, no quantum realms, no skewed timelines. ...

• Like 1

Fandango correspondent Naz Perez sat down with stars Xolo Maridueña, George Lopez, Bruna Marquezine and Belissa Escobedo for a conversation about bringing DC’s first Latino live action superhero to the big screen. They discuss the realistic family relationships at the film’s core, the setting of Palmera City and how the storytelling was influenced by anime like Akira.

Fandango’s Big Ticket Interview:

(edited)

At EW, interview with Xolo Maridueña (conducted before the actors strike): https://ew.com/movies/xolo-mariduena-blue-beetle-future-dcu/

excerpt:

Not only are you headlining a major superhero movie, but this is your first major film ever. Was there anything about making this movie that really surprised you or that you weren't expecting?

Actually, I think what surprised me the most was reading the script before filming the movie. This is a Latino character, and I was curious how far we were going to lean into it, what elements we were going to show. How were we going to deliver on that big ask? Honestly, I was just jaw-droppingly blown away. It was a cathartic experience reading the script because I had the realization that my whole upbringing… I mean, every family dinner that was placed on the table, I wasn't calling it Mexican food, right? I was just calling it dinner. I was just calling it food. And I had that same homey feeling [while reading the script]....

Edited by Trini
spelling, d'oh!
  • Like 1

I'm sorry that due to the strike the cast doesn't get to revel in all the excitement that comes with promoting a big time super hero movie or going to a premiere.  (Especially since this is Xolo Mariduena's first.  Maybe a more seasoned actor welcomes the break from doing all the press.)  As I said in a different thread, I'm not ragging on the rules or advocating scabbing in any way, it's just unfortunate.  Looks like they got to do some at least.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 1

Xolo Mariduena is adorable and I feel bad he can't really partake in the excitement of being in his first big film role that he should be able to. I have no idea about Blue Beetle but I'm watching because of him. It definitely won't be Xolo's last chance at stardom- I think the kid is destined for a really good push by Hollywood.

• Like 1

Another video interview with the director, he talks a bit about the practical Blue Beetle costume, among other things:

--

It's just unfortunate that this guy has to do this press tour by himself.

DC's Next Movie to Include Henry Cavill Superman Reference Following Recasting
By Russ Milheim Posted: August 14, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/dc-henry-cavill-superman-recasting-movie 

In an interview with Nestor Bentancor on YouTube, Blue Beetle director Angel Manuel Soto revealed that the next DCU movie will include references to 2013's Man of Steel.
“Waking up in Mexico to the news that [Zack] Snyder wants to see it too, a director that I respect so much, that his films are an immense influence… Even in 'Blue Beetle,' there are some references to 'Man of Steel' that we made out of honor and respect for the work and art of Zack Snyder. Also, seeing David Ayer sharing it… It’s like, ‘WOW, brother!’ How nice it feels to have that support from people that one respects and that the fans also respect.”

First 'Blue Beetle' Reactions Call it a Massive Win for DC and a Love Letter to Latino Culture
BY RYAN O'ROURKE   PUBLISHED 3 DAYS AGO
https://collider.com/blue-beetle-reactions-is-it-good/ 

Blue Beetle Reactions Blast Low Expectations With Resounding Praise
By Sabina Graves  August 11, 2023  
https://gizmodo.com/blue-beetle-social-reactions-dc-studios-james-gunn-wb-1850730702 

‘Blue Beetle’ First Reactions Are In: “My Favorite Post-Nolan DC Film”
BY JAMES HIBBERD    AUGUST 11, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/blue-beetle-first-reactions-are-in-my-favorite-post-nolan-dc-film-1235561810/ 

‘Blue Beetle’ First Reactions: DC’s Latest Praised as ‘Funny,’ ‘Emotional’ and ‘A Love Letter to the Latino Culture’
By McKinley Franklin    August 11, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/blue-beetle-first-reactions-dc-studios-1235692553/ 

6 hours ago, tv echo said:

DC's Next Movie to Include Henry Cavill Superman Reference Following Recasting
By Russ Milheim Posted: August 14, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/dc-henry-cavill-superman-recasting-movie 

UGH -- that website is the worst. Just straight lies in its headlines; and ironically named seeing as how they get their content from literally everywhere else. I find it's better to go to the source if it's actually news.

----

Anyway, it's encouraging that reactions are positive. Although, I don't know why some people had low expectations. I know this doesn't have a huge budget, huge stars, or a huge IP, but why were they thinking this was going to suck??

24 minutes ago, Trini said:

Although, I don't know why some people had low expectations. I know this doesn't have a huge budget, huge stars, or a huge IP, but why were they thinking this was going to suck??

Because it’s DC and they have been mostly synonymous with sucking for years now. 

I’m still keeping my expectations low since DC has been proven to be very good at getting critics to rave about awful movies. 

Substantial interview with Raoul Max Trujillo, who plays one of the villains, at ScreenRant:

excerpts:

I feel in an odd way, Xolo's experience on Blue Beetle is almost mimicking his real life, simply because this is his first time experiencing a big-budget blockbuster superhero movie. What did he bring to the role of Jaime that surprised you in his performance?

Raoul Max Trujillo: Well, just that. Because I didn't really know him, and I never saw Cobra Kai, but I just did. First of all, I didn't expect him to be as young as he is. I think he turned 21 during filming, he wasn't even old enough to drink. But that's what surprised me; that his innocence and childlike nature are so natural. Not put on, he's the real deal. He's just that innocent, but with an exuberance about life and about everything else. I think it kind of matched up with who Jaime is in the film, trying to find his way in.

Can you talk to me about what Angel's directing style brought to Blue Beetle and working with him as a collaborator?

Raoul Max Trujillo: I think Angel is absolutely brilliant, I really do. I think his background as a cameraman, as a DP, as well as his background with computer technology [helps]. All that special effects stuff that he did for years, all that has helped him be able to make this movie. Because when we went in as actors and we're going to rehearse a scene, the first thing he did was pull out his tablet and show us already exactly what the camera move is. Because he[sic?] was already animated, the whole thing.

Another interview; 'Director Angel Manuel Soto on DC Easter Eggs and the Importance of Hiring Mexican Actors'

excerpts:

So we worked very, very hard to do this world-building where the action sequences, the suit, the passion of the family, and the cultural aspects are presented in a way worthy of watching it, not only in the theater but even on IMAX, and being able to see our communities that way. I think that we did an amazing job in bringing it to life on the concept development of it all that at the end, Warner Bros. decided that this movie has to go to the theaters.

One of the things that we wanted to do, first of all, was hire Mexican actors – not just Mexican Americans, but also go to Mexico and get the best stars from Mexico for this movie, like Damián Alcázar or Adriana Barraza. They bring their own authentic experiences to the movie, and that helps a lot to inform the conditions we want to put the Reyes family in. We want the Reyes family to live in a world that affects their environment, that affects their decisions. Like for example, in my case, from Puerto Rico – displacement, colonialism, gentrification. Those are things that are real threats, home insecurity, not putting food on the table, proper health care. All those things that are our villains, but at the same time, what are all those things that are our heroic things, like community, like standing up against a tyrant or standing up against the things that weaken us, but doing it through the power of family and community?

------

'The Blue Beetle Cast on Creating a New City, Breaking Down the Scarab Scene, and More'

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

Also, the review embargo has lifted.

Doesn’t it open tomorrow night? That’s not a great sign but the reviews look to be decent (based on the RT score so far). I’m not sure if they are trying to protect it or are torpedoing it. 

This is actually a nice interview and photo spread, at Men's Health: 'Xolo Maridueña Wants to Lead DC's New Universe'

As the first major Latino superhero to be depicted on the big screen (the film also serves as his first major movie role), Maridueña recognizes the importance. He knows he stands on the shoulders of those who came before him, and says he feels “privileged” to represent Jaime and play a Latino superhero. But he makes it clear that the film isn’t trying to show every Latino experience. “It’s impossible to encapsulate a whole culture in one movie— that's not really the point,” he says. “Inherently, because of our writer, [Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer], the characters we're looking at, the director, [Angel Manuel Soto], and the actors involved, it'll be Latino.”

• Like 1

No spoilers...

Does Blue Beetle Have a Post Credits Scene? (No Spoilers)
IGN    AUG 17, 2023
https://www.ign.com/articles/blue-beetle-ending-post-credits-scene-explained 

Let's make this simple: Do you want to know if there’s a post-credits scene in Blue Beetle? We’ll tell you right here: The film has one mid-credits scene and one post-credits scene.

With spoilers...

Blue Beetle’s Post-Credits Scenes Keep the Focus on Its Hero — But Leaves the Door Open for More
BY ALEX WELCH   AUG 17, 2023
https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/blue-beetle-post-credits-scenes-explained-booster-gold-angel-manuel-soto 

Spoiler

A few minutes after Blue Beetle gives Jaime Reyes and Jenny Kord (Bruna Marquezine) their happy ending together, the film interrupts its credits by taking viewers back inside the former superhero headquarters of Jenny’s long-missing father, Ted Kord. Once the secret lab has turned back on, viewers hear an audio transmission, which teases the possibility that Ted Kord himself may still be alive. As a matter of fact, the message suggests that Ted has been stranded somewhere for decades, unable to contact his daughter until she, Jamie, and Rudy Reyes (George Lopez) finally turned his Blue Beetle technology back on.

The mid-credits scene sets up a potential subplot for a Blue Beetle sequel, one that could follow Jenny and Jaime as they track down her father. That’d also mean that Blue Beetle 2 would likely see Maridueña’s Jaime team up on-screen for the first time with a version of Ted Kord, the second man to don the Blue Beetle mantle in the comics (Jaime is the third). Whether or not that team-up will ever come to fruition remains to be seen, but in its mid-credits scene, Blue Beetle certainly lays the groundwork for it.

Minutes later, Blue Beetle surprises viewers with one final post-credits scene, which turns out to be another humorous clip from El Chapulín Colorado, a Mexican superhero parody show about a character whose vigilante name literally translates to “The Red Grasshopper” or “The Cherry Cricket.” Blue Beetle, in other words, doesn’t end by setting up a future DCU crossover for Jaime Reyes, but by poking fun at itself one last time and paying homage to its Latin roots.
While both the mid and post-credits scenes appear to be unrelated to the larger DC Universe, director Ángel Manuel Soto tells Inverse that this is not quite the case (Soto spoke to Inverse for a larger interview that’s coming soon). In fact, the mid-credits scene, which reveals that Ted Kord is still alive, is as close as the movie gets to setting up the future of the DCU.

“In the post-credit scenes, we did want to open up to the idea that there's more to that story,” Soto says. “It's not an open-ended. It’s self-contained, but anything can happen. We wanted to set up something that is very canonical into the life of the comic of Jaime Reyes.”
“We always thought about this before James Gunn came in, but the fact that James Gunn loves Booster Gold and wants to do something with Booster Gold,” Soto says. “We've always been setting up Ted Kord through the daughter, through the conversations and disappearance. Having that mid-credit scene is cool because we don't have to promise nor deny the possibilities of this collaboration.”

Edited by tv echo

A couple more interviews with Xolo:

Newsweek:

(excerpt:)

Honestly, what I've been so appreciative about the DC world, even before we entered in, is that they really seemed to highlight the filmmaker, regardless as to the project. I really feel like Christopher Nolan's signature is on the Dark Knight movies. I think when it comes down to Blue Beetle, I think that's no different. Angel Manuel Soto, our director, and Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer, our writer, really found a way to bring their lives and their experiences to the page and on the big screen. And I think that that really is where filmmakers shine, when they know the story that they need to tell and they can speak from the most authentic place. Speaking to the fun of this movie, with George Lopez and Susan Sarandon and this wonderful ensemble that we've collected, it can't help but feel vibrant and electric because these people are pros in all of their own fields and it was just surreal to meet all of them a week before filming and then start to film and have it feel like we've known each other our whole lives. It really felt like a family unit.

Rolling Stone:

(excerpt:)

... The point of Blue Beetle was to introduce the character of Jaime, and because of that, it felt really self-contained. There’s references to the superheroes and whatnot, but we’re not seeing any of them. So I think that, for better or for worse, [it] kept us in our own world. People are going to meet these characters for the first time, so we wanted to make sure that they had as much screen time as possible. So there really wasn’t anything to change when it came to integrating the universes. Our world feels like it has its own heartbeat, and I’m curious to see if it fits in [or] if it doesn’t, But I feel like we really have accomplished what we set out to do. So it’s up for the audience and everyone else to decide.

Blue Beetle Takes Down Barbie With a Not-So-Super $25.4 Million Weekend Box Office Victory
BY ADAM BANKHURST  AUG 20, 2023
https://www.ign.com/articles/blue-beetle-takes-down-barbie-with-a-not-so-super-254-million-weekend-box-office-victory 

Barbie's four-week streak atop the domestic box office has come to an end as DC's Blue Beetle has claimed the top spot. Unfortunately, it did so with not-so-super ticket sales of $25.4 million in North America.

As reported by Comscore, Blue Beetle brought in another $18.0 million overseas for a worldwide total of $43.4 million in 64 markets.

Blue Beetle's domestic opening was weaker than The Suicide Squad's $26.2 million, Shazam! Fury of the Gods' $30.1 million, and Birds of Prey's $33.0 million. It surpassed Wonder Woman 1984's $16.7 million, but that film was released during the COVID-19 pandemic and was also available on HBO Max on launch day.
Hopefully, the good buzz of the film will bolster its box office run so it can recoup its over $100 million budget before marketing. There is also a bit of confusion surrounding this movie that may be impacting things, as it is both part of the ending of the DCEU and the beginning of the DCU as Blue Beetle is the first DCU character, according to James Gunn.

Edited by tv echo
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Well it was number 1 at the boxoffice but, that's not saying much.  It earned 25.4M Domestic and 18M International, total of 43.4 M world wide.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a blockbuster; but I still think that this could have done better if it had been promoted better. The response from those who have seen it has been mostly positive.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Trini said:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a blockbuster; but I still think that this could have done better if it had been promoted better. The response from those who have seen it has been mostly positive.

I'm sure the lack of promotion due to the strike hurt it. From what I've heard the family aspect is the best part.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I enjoyed this movie a lot, its very much what I wanted it to be. A fun endearing origin story with lots of action, feels, and lots of great performances. The crowd at my theater was pretty big and everyone was really into it, especially George Lopez as Jamie's Florida Man uncle. Its too bad that it got stuck in this weird transitional phase in the DC universe where its hard to tell what's going to be cannon or get a sequel and what will be forgotten so it hardly got marketed. For as little marketing as its gotten and how much people are apprehensive about DC movies right now, it actually did alright. 

It was fun seeing Harvey Guillén from What We Do in the Shadows here playing another long suffering minion. Poor Gizmo. 

• Like 4