Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Goliath

I haven't been following the ratings and didn't realize they'd gone down a lot. Do you think a season 3 is unlikely?

Renewal could go either way.

Ordinarily, the kind of ratings season 2 has been getting lately would probably mean cancellation.

But FX is more willing than most other networks to keep around an acclaimed series, even if it gets bad ratings. They want to be known as a prestige network.

And with Justified ending, and Tyrant and The Strain getting lackluster reviews, they might decide they want to keep The Bridge around.

I agree the show is dark but life in the poor zone is bad.  The drama is showing what Mexico really is - very violent, tons of drugs.  Remember cayote snipers are hiding in Arizona in the hills killing our border agents.  This is real life.

Sonya being all judgey bothers me, too.  First Hank for shooting whatshisname, now Marco for what... not defending Tate from Galvan?  Tate deserved to die in prison and I think any cop on that case would've been happy and not cared who ordered it and who looked the other way.  

Please no one explain her 'spectrum-skewed' viewpoint, I don't care.  It's not written in a way that compels me to care about her issues.  

Man, Frye... After seeing that cell, I will never go to Mexico again.  That was creepy.

I am rooting for The Bridge to be renewed, but the key demo 18-49 ratings are horrible. I have no confirmation, but the show looks expensive to produce. There are a lot of supporting characters and extras as well as out door scenes. 

Man, Frye... After seeing that cell, I will never go to Mexico again.  That was creepy.

I don't think that that jail is substantially different from ones in the U.S. Daniel was put in a cell with other addicts so that the cops would  not have to hear any complaints as they vomited and detoxed. No cop would be anxious to get in that cell and clean up after them. and it isn't like there are cleaners hanging around in the precinct all day. I remember that when the cop kidnapped Eva, he put in her a clean cell by herself.

No. Gruppe Clio HQ is in Juarez, is a Mexican firm, and he lives in Mexico.

Well then I'm really surprised he got out of jail -- and so quickly.  Was this due to Cerisola being extra careful -- no more bodies? 

He got out because Adriana recruited Marco to get him out.  Though, yes, he wasn't just killed because Cerisola told the police to just lock him up for drunkenness instead of killing him.

Jails I've seen in the US have been nothing like that.  I think US jails have to meet health department standards.  

I have to be very careful when watching this show because it is so desolate and depressing that I find myself wanting to end my own life by the end of the episode. I may need to start watching it drunk.  Unrelieved hopeless despair.  I usually like that in a show.  This one just seems so unrelenting.

This just made me laugh. Plus, I totally feel the same way. Please stick around, though. Well, at least until the season finale.

• Love 3

I loved this episode.  This season is so much better than season one.  Why do the good writers get punished and the bad ones get many chances?

Sonja has annoyed me so much that I really wasn't concerned when she got slapped down in her apartment by the Chopper.  If her character could get replaced, the show would really improve.

So when Eva and Linder were watching for the guy to return home, it appeared he drove into a gated estate, but once inside, it appeared he was caring for a elderly lady in a modest home.  I don't get it.  Was the Eva standing on the outside of the window?

Sonja has annoyed me so much that I really wasn't concerned when she got slapped down in her apartment by the Chopper.  If her character could get replaced, the show would really improve.

I am puzzled why ppl deslike Sonya's character so much.

She is the only voice of logic and morality ( Ok she is also a weirdo :D )

Hank abused his police authority and executed a suspect in cold blood. He belongs to prison, no matter how sweet father figure he has been.

Marco, is tolerating corruption for years not only for survival reasons. When in need he made a deal with the cartel  to have Tate killed.

And now he is also working for Galvan, you know the fella who wants Sonya dead. (I guess when he said "I try to keep us alive" it didnt cross his mind that Galvan doesnt ask his permission when he decides to assassin ppl).

Both men, who meant a lot to Sonya,  lied to her and betrayed her trust, not to mention anything about breaking values and laws.

I understand the appeal of the dark heroes who bent the rules, but someone should  be there to remind us what's wrong and what is not and that compromising comes with a price, right Mr Marco Ruiz?

• Love 5

I don't feel like Sonya is the voice of morality.  I think she has a black and white view of the world that is not realistic.  Marco is a good man who has to do bad things to survive sometimes to continue to do the good he can.  Same with Hank.  Though his act of murder isn't as easy to forgive for the viewer because we didn't see the details of that case like we saw with Tate and the rest.  I would say he didn't kill 'in cold blood', though.  He probably did it out of anger.  

Edited by Guest

I am puzzled why ppl deslike Sonya's character so much.

She is the only voice of logic and morality ( Ok she is also a weirdo :D )

I don't dislike Sonya, but, as much as I prefer this season to S1, I think they've done Kruger's character a disservice. Her portrayal of a non-neurotypical professional has changed radically and had this been my first season watching this show, it would have been impossible for me to tell she has Asperger's. I think that has more to do with TPTB than Kruger's acting choices. They simply decided to erase that aspect of her as much as possible, making her look more like a cold hardened self-righteous woman.

It doesn't bother me that she's angry with Marco. She has every right not to trust him for now. She doesn't have all the information about him and his dealings with Galvan, like we do. Anyway, I consider this a reflection of that time Marco rejected Sonya in S1 and, to be honest, I was more upset about that. It might be because this season they haven't shared that many scenes, so it doesn't feel like a great loss.

It's a shame though, because even though I like them, I feel they've become two of the least interesting characters in the show. I'm all for character development, but Sonya's affair with Dobbs wasn't that compelling, in spite of the creep factor. Marco's story hasn't been much better. I know he is Conflicted, but he's done little more than clench his teeth and look constipated. Everyone else, except Charlotte and Ray, is more interesting than the leads at this point and I think that's the biggest flaw this season.

Now, the relationship between Sonja and Hank? That I'm worried about!

• Love 4

I don't feel like Sonya is the voice of morality.  I think she has a black and white view of the world that is not realistic.  Marco is a good man who has to do bad things to survive sometimes to continue to do the good he can.  Same with Hank.  Though his act of murder isn't as easy to forgive for the viewer because we didn't see the details of that case like we saw with Tate and the rest.  I would say he didn't kill 'in cold blood', though.  He probably did it out of anger.  

Still killing is a crime. and double the crime when you are supposed to be a law enforcer. He executed the guy.

As for Marco, surviving is one thing, using the cartel to take revenge is a choice.

btw I find both characters interesting, but also Sonya's reaction to their actions completely justified.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Love 1

I don't dislike Sonya, but, as much as I prefer this season to S1, I think they've done Kruger's character a disservice. Her portrayal of a non-neurotypical professional has changed radically and had this been my first season watching this show, it would have been impossible for me to tell she has Asperger's. I think that has more to do with TPTB than Kruger's acting choices. They simply decided to erase that aspect of her as much as possible, making her look more like a cold hardened self-righteous woman.

It doesn't bother me that she's angry with Marco. She has every right not to trust him for now. She doesn't have all the information about him and his dealings with Galvan, like we do. Anyway, I consider this a reflection of that time Marco rejected Sonya in S1 and, to be honest, I was more upset about that. It might be because this season they haven't shared that many scenes, so it doesn't feel like a great loss.

It's a shame though, because even though I like them, I feel they've become two of the least interesting characters in the show. I'm all for character development, but Sonya's affair with Dobbs wasn't that compelling, in spite of the creep factor. Marco's story hasn't been much better. I know he is Conflicted, but he's done little more than clench his teeth and look constipated. Everyone else, except Charlotte and Ray, is more interesting than the leads at this point and I think that's the biggest flaw this season.

Now, the relationship between Sonja and Hank? That I'm worried about!

I think you are right there, so far, they have failed to write Marco and Sonya well.

Of course it was inevitable Marco's  gray choices to conflict with Sonya's black and white perception/morality/whatever. 

What I can guess , is that they are trying to bring changes in both's lives, make Marco not to compromise so much and finally pick a side maybe, and Sonya to try to evolve as more adjusting person.

But so far this is not working, I think mainly because they "castrated" Sonya's Aspergers and messed up her character.

• Love 1

I get a little sick seeing Eva and Linder together. Eva/the actress that plays her is a classic beauty...a 10 on a scale of 1-10. I can't think of two actresses in the whole industry more attractive than her. Linder looks absolutely hideous. You talk about beauty and the beast!

I can't think of a character in all of television who is a bigger dumb ass than Ray...except maybe Charlotte for staying with him.

It was really sad how Sonya gave her sister's lock of hair to her out of it, homeless, addicted mother.

Thank you! I had no idea who that was, and I had forgotten that Sonya's mother was still alive. I'm wondering if her mother would have recognized the lock of hair had she seen it before Eleanor took it from her.

"The Chopper." There's a name to send chills down your spine. Yikes.

That was my thought when Fausto mentioned his name, but when he showed up to get his assignment on a motorcycle, I thought that perhaps his name came from the bike, and that he has some other horrible way of getting rid of people.

I had to rewind to watch Marco's face again as Sonya told him that she didn't trust him. That was one place the extreme closeup worked for me. It was a very effective scene.

I was also struck by Marco's face when Adriana told him that she had been targeted by Galvan, and he realized that Sonya hadn't bothered to tell him.

In the scene where Cerisola is walking his son out of the school, the first shot of Cerisola is from a distance, and his voice is the most prominent part of the scene. He sounded so much like his brother there I had to look carefully to see which one of them it was.

Adriana is a saint for bailing Daniel Frye, Professional Man-Child, out, especially with Lucy in the hospital.

• Love 1

Adriana is a saint for bailing Daniel Frye, Professional Man-Child, out, especially with Lucy in the hospital.

She is a saint with regard to Daniel. She did mention that Lucy's family wouldn't let her visit at the hospital. So part of her may have not minded the distraction bailing out Daniel brought.

• Love 1