Type keyword(s) to search

Extraordinary Attorney Woo - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Woo Young Woo is a young lawyer with Asperger's syndrome. She boasts a high IQ, an impressive memory and a wonderfully creative thought process, but she struggles with everyday interactions.

Netflix. Korean Drama. 

• Love 1

Really enjoyed it as well. Loved the cases.  I did find the Young Woo's mother very frustrating character and the lawyer who is jealous of Young Woo.

I hope they develop the relationship between YW and her brother next season.  As well, resurrect the relationship between YW and Joon-ho.

• Like 1

I started watching this show because Rotten Tomatoes currently rates it at 100%.  
And I floved the first episode for making me LOL and cry, considering it superior to Ted Lasso.
I don’t mind formulaic shows, but by the second episode, I
 found myself criticizing the writing over the premise that Woo Young Woo was the only one who came up with the legal solution.  
But the recently rebooted Law & Order episodes have the same type of weakness.🤷🏻‍♀️
I’ll watch at least one more.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm just starting Episode 7 now.
Episode 2 was not as good as the pilot/Episode 1, IMO, which threw me off.
It got better after that. 
Do Korean series not do a "pilot" like in the U.S.?

I don’t know. 
is this related to Divorce attorney Shin? I noticed the threads popped up at the same time.  

56 minutes ago, Anela said:

is this related to Divorce attorney Shin? I noticed the threads popped up at the same time.

Just looking at Wikipedia and Rotten Tomatoes:

• They are both in the "legal drama" genre.
  • Both are recent productions.
  • Both are from South Korea.
  • The casts, writers, and directors are entirely different.
  • Both have a 100% Fresh rating on RT.

So I think it's just one of those things where if you like one and wish there were more episodes, you might want to try the other.

I just finished episode 12, "Yangtze River Dolphin," in which:

• "Young-woo encounters Hanbada's dark side while working on a wrongful termination lawsuit. Jung Myeong-seok fears he has a target on his back."

The case of the female employees being targeted for downsizing by being offered compensation packages they could not refuse was eerily similar to what happened to me when I was retired 6 years early, which is something I've been dwelling on lately, so it got kind of depressing, realizing how carefully orchestrated it had been.
But then when the Women's Rights attorney read the poem, I felt uplifted:

• Though there are many sayings, 
    life is to gladly become a piece of coal for someone other than myself.
    From the day the floors grow cold
    to the day spring comes,
    the most beautiful thing 
    in the streets of the Korean peninsula
    is a truck that fervidly climbs up the hill with coal.
    As if it knows what it has to do,
    coal burns endlessly once its body catches fire,
    but I was oblivious even though
    I had warm rice and soup every day.
    Because I feared becoming a lonely lump of ashes
    after loving others with my whole being,
    I haven't become coal for anyone.
    When I think about it,
    life is to shatter myself into pieces.
    I had never thought of clearing the streets for others to tread when the world is slippery from early morning snow.

Aside from the message of living a life to lift up others, the last line reminds me of the 15 years I lived on the slopes of the dormant volcano, Mt. Shasta, where the winter roads were treated with "cinders" instead of salt.
"Cinders" were small pebbles of volcanic rock readily obtained in that area where it would have been economically impossible to purchase salt for the snowy mountain pass roads in winter.
Even though these "cinders" were sharp rocks that pocked the windshields of cars when logging trucks kicked them up, "cinders" still implies "ashes."

• Like 1

In the finale of Extraordinary Attorney Woo, Woo is offered more than double what she is making now at Hanbada if she starts working for Taessan in Boston. But when I look at salary statistics I find that the median salary for law school graduates is 215,000 USD per year (https://www.usnews.com/education/articles/what-type-of-salary-can-you-expect-with-a-law-degree ). I also found information that attorneys in South Korea with 1-3 years experience earns an avarage salary of ₩78,141,301 (https://www.salaryexpert.com/salary/job/lawyer/south-korea/seoul) which is around 58,000 USD. I couldn’t find any information on what they earn specifically in Seoul. Woo is probably earning slightly more than this amount since she is working at one of the top law firms. But I don’t think she earns more than 100,000 USD per year. If Tae Su-Mi really wanted Woo to move to Boston then she should have offered Woo more than what she would have made if she was from the US and had gone to law school there and then started working in Boston. Or am I missing something?