Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E16: The Naked Truth

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Jamie and Eddie find themselves at odds when Jamie learns that Eddie's close friend Tracey (Alysha Umphress) may be using the restaurant she owns as a drug front. Also, Erin forms an alliance with Anthony and her ex-husband, Jack Boyle (Peter Hermann), when she is accused of causing the suicide of a former colleague; Frank weighs whether he should fire a female officer who has an online profile featuring naked photos of herself; and Danny and Baez try not to be influenced by their own biases when they are faced with various descriptions of the same suspect, on BLUE BLOODS, Friday, March 31 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+

(edited)

How long will it be before Edie becomes a detective and we have the 2023 version of "Starsky & Hutch" or "Cagney & Lacie" or "Starsky & Cagney" or "Lacie & Hutch" when she teams up with Jamie? 

Edited by preeya

I liked the Jamie/Eddie storyline, but it also felt rushed. I like it when we actually get to see part of the investigation and the characters put the pieces together. My favorite scene was the dinner. Henry has a more interesting past than I ever expected. 

• Like 3

The pacing of this episode was bizarre. Danny's storyline was just didn’t seem to mesh with the others; while Erin’s was 99% resolved by mid episode. (But Anthony & Jack Boyle as a team? Hilarious in an otherwise sad yet minimal storyline)

I thought Frank’s storyline was executed best. I was interested in how he’d resolve a novel situation (heroic officer posting an Only Fans style platform) given the staid NYPD Code of Conduct and Frank’s own rigid morality versus the current time and culture. Henry at family dinner was comedy gold. 

The Jamie/Eddie storyline had untapped potential. Again, this arc was victim of the 4 stories per episode format. I thought Sid subbing for Fleming, Jamie’s CO/boss was weird. Eddie being in the secret meeting room made no sense to me, and I still have trouble believing that Eddie has any close friends. (Recall that her only wedding guest was Rachel Witten and she had no bridesmaids.)  The party-time resolution with Eddie’s old pal after the friend’s fiancé & future in-law being apprehended was not believable. 

I’m firmly in the “Jack Boyle makes Erin bearable” camp. I was glad Jack turned down Erin’s invitation to sexy times. Yes, we’ve seen this happen before, but usually it’s because Jack is seeing someone.  I was waiting for it, but maybe Jack was putting his heart before gratification. I do think they are better together than apart. Then again, Peter Hermann (like Kate Walsh in Grey’s Anatomy) is an actor I’ve always enjoyed as a recurring character. He and Bridget Moynihan have chemistry. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, kurtz said:

I thought Sid subbing for Fleming, Jamie’s CO/boss was weird.

I didn't understand that either.  Since when does Sid participate in that stuff?  The whole story was weird, how does your "friend" not know you're a cop?  

5 hours ago, kurtz said:

He and Bridget Moynihan have chemistry. 

Yes.  I've said for years they are the only couple on the show with any spark.

• Like 3
(edited)

S13•E16 - The Naked Truth

Hey, I recognize the actress who plays Officer Carlie Gillson from My Sister’s Keeper and also L&O:SVU.

I love it when the work husband is teaming up with the ex-husband. More of them please and Erin to be kept at a minimal. 😆

If BB decides to make Eddie a detective (with Intelligence no less), who would be on the patrol universe? Too many detectives, it’s lame.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, jabRI said:

Why were Danny and Baez called out to a mugging in the first place?  And there were no times square witnesses of frat boy?

Or cameras? At least hand-wave the camera's malfunctioning in the area due to a glitch. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

Or cameras? At least hand-wave the camera's malfunctioning in the area due to a glitch. 

Exactly this. There are multiple cameras all over Midtown, and the Times Square/Port Authority/ Bryant Park area in particular. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

The whole story was weird, how does your "friend" not know you're a cop?  

Thank you, I was just coming here to say this.  The writing is getting worse.  The sad part is, they try to cram too much into an episode and they take too many shortcuts.  Danny's speech about acknowledging bias was good and needed to be said, but the stories around it diluted the message.

They need to go back to like 2 stories an episode, and let the characters take turns in the spotlight.  4 stories in a 40 minute show (minus commercials and family dinner) is 10 minutes.   You can't build any credible storyline in that time.  

• Like 4
4 hours ago, jabRI said:

They need to go back to like 2 stories an episode, and let the characters take turns in the spotlight.  4 stories in a 40 minute show (minus commercials and family dinner) is 10 minutes.   You can't build any credible storyline in that time.  

I agree. The show could easily/sucessfully do 3 stories per week. The previous format of Danny storyline, Frank storyline, and then wild card (usually Erin or Jamie) worked well. I hadn't thought of it as 10 minutes per storyline when you have 4 of them, but that would explain why usually one storyline feels rushed or underdeveloped. There just isn't enough time to do them all well. 

• Like 1
(edited)
On 4/2/2023 at 12:08 PM, jabRI said:

Why were Danny and Baez called out to a mugging in the first place?  And there were no times square witnesses of frat boy?

23 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

22 hours ago, kurtz said:

Exactly this. There are multiple cameras all over Midtown, and the Times Square/Port Authority/ Bryant Park area in particular. 

I get whey they might have been on the call. It's a higher-than-normal profile case (tourist in the theater district beaten within an inch of his life). But yes, between privately-owned cameras on businesses and cellphone gawkers that would have been plenty. But the military-grade NYPD-owned surveillance cameras on every block in that part of midtown would have put paid to Frat Boy's assault within a couple of hours.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Like 3
42 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I get whey they might have been on the call. It's a higher-than-normal profile case (tourist in the theater district beaten within an inch of his life). But yes, between privately-owned cameras on businesses and cellphone gawkers that would have been plenty. But the military-grade NYPD-owned surveillance cameras on every block in that part of midtown would have put paid to Frat Boy's assault within a couple of hours.

That makes it even worse. Between the privately-owned cameras that local businesses may have had and all of the NYPD surveillance cameras in that area, there really needed to be a line of dialogue explaining why cameras where not an option. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

That makes it even worse. Between the privately-owned cameras that local businesses may have had and all of the NYPD surveillance cameras in that area, there really needed to be a line of dialogue explaining why cameras where not an option. 

No line of dialog could conceivably handwave that idiotic storyline. Cameras are literally everywhere in the theater district. Not just that, but in the after-theater hours when the assault happened the number of non-New Yorkers probably outnumbers natives 10 to 1, most of whom are video recording their vacation and who would turn over video to the NYPD is a heartbeat. The whole story was about racial bias in policing and there are 100000 ways to tell that story plausibly. They just couldn't be bothered to try a better approach.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

on the topic of believable (or not) and cutting corners to save time, I found the frat boy giving it up in the doorway total fantasy. It seemed like he'd been sitting by the door eagerly waiting for the knock.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, zapper said:

on the topic of believable (or not) and cutting corners to save time, I found the frat boy giving it up in the doorway total fantasy. It seemed like he'd been sitting by the door eagerly waiting for the knock.

He was high as a kite, so he probably was.

It was subtly pointed out (well, as subtle as this show gets, which isn't much) that both Jamie and Eddie were good cops, who spotted something wrong, and chose to investigate. I think this IS leading to Eddie getting a detective's shield. 

• Like 1

Did not end the way I thought it would. I figured at best Frank would say take the pics down keep your job. Not keep your side gig and your job. I admit to mixed feelings on this one. If her fan base blew up like she said it did I don't see how that wouldn't interfere with her job. You would have everything from people wanting selfies to guys for real wanting to be "arrested" by her. Lol 

As brief as it was, I found the frat kid scene chilling. Yes he was high as a kite, but the indifference in his demeanor to what he did and the reason for it speaks volumes as to where we are right now as a society. I know this wasn't the main idea behind this storyline but this is what hit for me. 

On 4/1/2023 at 4:24 PM, kurtz said:

I’m firmly in the “Jack Boyle makes Erin bearable” camp

Hey fellow camper.

• Like 1
On 4/2/2023 at 11:55 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I agree. The show could easily/sucessfully do 3 stories per week. The previous format of Danny storyline, Frank storyline, and then wild card (usually Erin or Jamie) worked well. I hadn't thought of it as 10 minutes per storyline when you have 4 of them, but that would explain why usually one storyline feels rushed or underdeveloped. There just isn't enough time to do them all well. 

It’s possible we’ll get that next season with the reduced budget. 4 stories per episode is definitely too much