Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: Cal Me Consciously Uncoupled

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Oh God……the last thing this show needs is a child.

The other thought I had was maybe Max will come out as gay. That would explain why he seem phased on learning about Zoey. Maybe it had already guessed it. If Max is gay, then Kat and Max can still maintain their friendship and stay karaoke partners...maybe even have a baby together. (OK, I'll stop now.)

• Useful 1

Because the actor playing him is gay? No. There's never been the slightest indication that Max might not be straight, unless you count failure to generate any romantic chemistry with Kat. Which he's not alone in, only one character has managed to so far.

Speaking of, I know the Kat and Max analogues were the big couple on Miranda, but the writers really should have recognized a good thing and kept Kat and Oscar together.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Because the actor playing him is gay? No. There's never been the slightest indication that Max might not be straight, unless you count failure to generate any romantic chemistry with Kat. Which he's not alone in, only one character has managed to so far.

Speaking of, I know the Kat and Max analogues were the big couple on Miranda, but the writers really should have recognized a good thing and kept Kat and Oscar together.

Oh now you're making me miss Oscar again!

And whatever happened to the sandwich shop owner guy who said he bought Kat's building?  He had some kind of chemistry with both Kat and Max and Oscar too for that matter.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Maybe I'm at a table for one here, but I didn't see much chemistry between Kat and Oscar either.  They were another couple that to me felt more like friends than romantic partners.  There was zero romance in their relationship too, although Kat at least didn't have the clashes with Oscar that she's had with Max.  I actually felt that Mayim as Amy had more chemistry with Sheldon on BBT than she has with any man so far on this show.  Part of that was because of the good writing, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

And whatever happened to the sandwich shop owner guy who said he bought Kat's building?  He had some kind of chemistry with both Kat and Max and Oscar too for that matter.

Actually that's true, he did, that was yet another missed opportunity on this show.  It has had more potential plotlines started then just dropped on the floor than any show I've ever watched ever.

• Like 5

I wasn't sorry to see the last of his smarmy attitude, though I'd have been okay with them keeping him around as a rival/antagonist if Sheila and Randi had gone to Defcon One over his antics putting Kat's business and wellbeing in jeopardy.

• Like 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I wasn't sorry to see the last of his smarmy attitude, though I'd have been okay with them keeping him around as a rival/antagonist if Sheila and Randi had gone to Defcon One over his antics putting Kat's business and wellbeing in jeopardy.

Oh yeah, Sandwich Shop Snob was definitely a character to love to hate.

ETA: Right, his name was Nick.  But he had a dog!

Edited by CrystalBlue
ETA
9 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Plus they could have softened him up a lot.  I remember how robotic Amy was on BBT at first and then over time she softened up and became more "human".  They could have done something like that with him - turn him from a dick into a nicer human being. 

If they're going to make changes those are the kind that they should make, not this "wild cycling" with new characters in and out every few episodes.  The thing about it is that they introduce them in such a way that you think they're going to be regular characters.  Like the Amish guy.  Kat actually hired him so we thought he was going to be a fixture for at least a while and if he left we'd see him go.  But no, they introduce someone, they seem like they're going to be around for a while and then they disappear after one or two episodes.  It does seem desperate!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

So, there’s no way Randi’s not pregnant, right?

I like Randi and Carter but there is no way this show should go down the pregnancy hole.  They need to clean house and get things straightened out before adding any other side stories.

• Like 4

I keep watching this show but it's such a mess. They keep making Max more unlikable. I liked Max and Kat's friendship in the first season. I didn't like them as a couple. Now, I wouldn't even be sad if they weren't friends anymore.

• Like 8

I miss Oscar. But if I were he, I wouldn't take Kat back, so I guess that's a lost cause. Oscar was an adult, and he actually liked Kat and treated her well. Max is an overgrown child, and a spoiled obnoxious one at that. 

• Like 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So, there’s no way Randi’s not pregnant, right?

Hopefully it really was the overconsumption of pizza rolls and not a pre-wedding pregnancy.

1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

Kat is annoying.

Kat is annoying but this episode she wasn't doing her sexy talk stuff, so that's good.  I'm glad she and Max are still broken up.  He turned into such a childish douchebag.  The only thing that saves it is the dancing exit scenes!

Edited by CrystalBlue
misspelled word.
2 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Hopefully it really was the overconsumption of pizza rolls and not a pre-wedding pregnancy.

I dunno. Maybe there’s been a show where a woman of child bearing age threw up and it turned out to be a pregnancy fake out, but I can’t think of any at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

I dunno. Maybe there’s been a show where a woman of child bearing age threw up and it turned out to be a pregnancy fake out, but I can’t think of any at the moment. 

Maybe Kat will find out she's pregnant too and then she and Randi can have dueling pregnancy stories and we'll have will Max and Kat get back together for the baby drama.  🤯

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Maybe Kat will find out she's pregnant too and then she and Randi can have dueling pregnancy stories and we'll have will Max and Kat get back together for the baby drama.  🤯

Yeah, there’s not an emoji that reflects what I feel about that possibility…

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
49 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Maybe Kat will find out she's pregnant too and then she and Randi can have dueling pregnancy stories and we'll have will Max and Kat get back together for the baby drama. 

I'll play. Let's throw in Sheila with a 'change of life baby'.

• LOL 2
3 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

Oh don’t even! I’m over a decade younger than Swoosie Kurtz and pregnancy dreams are on regular rotation with the forgot-I-was-in-a-class-and-had-to-take-a-exam-dreams. 

• Like 2

I haven't even known what to say about this episode except that I'm still suffering whiplash from all the changes to the plot with Kat and Max.  The show is not as lighthearted as it once was or that the original "Miranda" was, and some of its aspects don't feel like they go together with the rest of it anymore.  Max's negative attitude here was a real downer.  I can't see the show keeping them broken up forever. Maybe there'll be some kind of story arc that makes them realize a few things and get back together better than before.  In the meantime they might make use of Kat's new singleness to take her down the road of the original Miranda in meeting people to date.  That could turn out to be funny.  But of course this show always misses opportunities for new and potentially funny episode plots, so I won't really hold my breath that it will do any of that.  

Also, it didn't fit with the negative exit Max made in the last scene that they pop out and wave at the audience so happy and chipper.  It just took me right out of the scene with a jolt.  I know they took this aspect from the original Miranda but at least there the waving fit with the show.  This show taking any kind of negative turn feels out of place with the rest of it.  By contrast, Randi and Carter are a breath of fresh air and what the rest of the show should be more like.

• Like 6

What the hell are they doing with Max?  Writing him as a total dick lately.  Then having him drinking again and no one thinking anything about it.  These writers are stupid.  I also hate Sheila.  Move past the "mother hates daughter and won't have a grand child" bit.  I keep hate watching it until it goes away.

• Like 7

Did I miss a Freaky Friday plotline where Kat & Max switched brains with actual teenagers?  Break-ups are hard but the level of immaturity and petulance that they had.  (I thought Kat was just as bad as Max, I don’t think singling him out is fair.)

Speaking of actual teenagers, I thought all the jokes about dating literal jailbait (he’s missing his PROM?  He has a retainer?) crossed a line from darkly funny to actually distasteful.  They could’ve easily made him college-age and still been able to do “he’s so young!” jokes.

I still adore Carter and Randi, but absolutely no pregnancy is needed in this show.

Has a renewal announcement been made yet?  I think there are only two or three episodes left.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I thought all the jokes about dating literal jailbait (he’s missing his PROM?  He has a retainer?) crossed a line from darkly funny to actually distasteful.  They could’ve easily made him college-age and still been able to do “he’s so young!” jokes.

I agree. That was gross. The people making this show are starting to seem very disturbing. Between that and the way Sheila behaves, they're coming across quite horrible.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
On 4/7/2023 at 9:24 PM, MaryHedwig said:

Whoa, she changed a looong time ago.  😆. Ugh, what a nasty person she is. Can’t imagine how shitty Kat’s childhood was. 

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I agree. That was gross. The people making this show are starting to seem very disturbing. Between that and the way Sheila behaves, they're coming across quite horrible.

Same disgusting dialogue  as their other shows. These guys can write interestingly but they just can’t step away from the gross or juvenile “humor”.  

4 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Same disgusting dialogue  as their other shows. These guys can write interestingly but they just can’t step away from the gross or juvenile “humor”.  

I agree with you but what are their other shows?  I probably should know but I haven't been paying attention to that.

• Like 1

This episode was just so off putting, I have no idea why they are writing Kat and Max so horribly. Kat comes of as a child and Max is just such an asshole, their whole relationship has ended up being a total mess. They could get back together but I don't really know why they would except for the sake of the show having an endgame relationship. They seem to make each other miserable, they have nothing in common, even before the break up it seemed like every episode had them fighting, and, again, Max has just become a huge dick. 

This is not a show that I think does great with this sort of drama so much. We have had some more dramatic bits that worked out, like Max meeting his deadbeat dad or Kat dealing with the loss of her dad, but this going on for so long just makes the show hard to watch.

• Like 2

To change the focus for a bit-why are the string lights on every time they go into the she shed? Are they on a timer? On all the time? I know it would be dark in there if they weren’t turned on, but it’s just something I notice….

This show had some hope of being at least a semi-brilliant comedy two seasons ago, but for a while now it's the absolutely worst comedy on TV. It's a real shame because the cast is quite talented, but the writing is not even the level of seriously bad fan fiction.

• Like 1

Once upon a time this show was a favorite for me and my wife. Now it's just a show that we catch on Hulu when nothing else is on. 

Kat and Max breakup: Good, I guess? They had the chemistry of ketchup and buttermilk. They've both acted like dicks with the whole breakup angle. They're adults, act like it.

Regarding the off-putting humor from last night: It was just another example of mainstream media promoting this concept that women can't be predators. If the joke was that the older woman's boyfriend was still in high school, that's shit. If it was an older male friend of Sheila's bringing a girl that wore a retainer and was skipping prom, the outcry would have been instant. 

I like Carter and Randi. That's about the only positive thing I can say about this shitshow. Oh, that and they got rid of the Amish baker guy. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

Carter and Randi's relationship seems believable. It didn't happen too quickly. Carter's cousin (I think that's what they are) and son are also believable because their characters didn't soundly change. Kat is annoying but her personality has been constant. Same with Sheila even though I don't like her. Max's personality is the one that the writers seem to constantly change.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if maybe that could be intentional. Max comes from a broken home, has a family history of alcoholism, and after ping-ponging around the globe with little apparent direction he's settled on a notoriously fickle and uncertain career in music while also working in a bar where the temptation to drink must be sky high. Better writers might make it a plot point that he has extreme mood swings and the other characters never know which Max they're going to be getting on a given day.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2023 at 1:29 PM, chitowngirl said:

To change the focus for a bit-why are the string lights on every time they go into the she shed? Are they on a timer? On all the time? I know it would be dark in there if they weren’t turned on, but it’s just something I notice….

I have string lights up on my mantel all the time, I never turn them off. I just assumed that what's going on in Randi's little hidey hole. 

Edited by luna1122again
cuz I can never remember mantel vs mantle
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1