Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Real Thing

• Start Topic

Birdie reaches out to an old flame to help the family steal a painting; Emma grapples with Charlie's admission and must deal with conflicts of interest at work at the CIA.

Airing April 2, 2023

Mark Ivanir as Grigori Abramov
Kendall Chappell
166609_3265-900x0.jpg
Noah Fearnley as Young Man at Party
Geoff Stults as Simon Norris
166609_7702-900x0.jpg

This was better, but nothing that I haven't seen before. I think the show should get much better now that the Nicoletti family are "Conning for Justice". The cons are still on the boring side, they could use a little style and slickness, probably more verbal trickery and patsy participation.

It feels like the series had a multi-season arc in mind, but they aren't confident they are going to have multiple seasons so they are cramming everything into one season and it feels rushed. 

• Like 1

I like some of the cons and intrigue; but I mostly wanted to watch this for the romance, and I think that's been lacking. That said, I'm still in; although this whole situation with Daphne seems like a pretty huge hurdle for Charlie and Emma to get over.

So we learned a bit more about Birdie; seems like she - like the rest of the family - could be making a living legitimately instead of stealing.

The reveal of Emma's father's affair was obviously more about Emma vs. Daphne than anything else; but how much of an impact was that supposed to make on us, the audience, when we haven't seen much of the relationship between Emma's parents, or Emma and her father??

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Trini said:

The reveal of Emma's father's affair was obviously more about Emma vs. Daphne than anything else; but how much of an impact was that supposed to make on us, the audience, when we haven't seen much of the relationship between Emma's parents, or Emma and her father??

This is my problem. In an ideal world, the first season (which would be shorter because the show started mid-season) would be about Ben's primary campaign, Emma and Charlie's relationship, and the Nicoletti family doing caper/con/heist of the week to pay back Daphne. Emma and Charlie keep missing each other on the caper/con/heist side. At about the halfway point, Charlie discovers that Emma is in the CIA. The season finale is Emma discovering that Charlie and his family are con-artists. 

Season 2 is about Ben's general election campaign, Daphne blackmailing the Hill family, and the Nicoletti family becoming CIA assets to help bring down Daphne. 

This would have given the writers more time for the audience to see the relationship between Emma and her parents, especially her father. 

• Like 5

Daphne is threatening the CIA?  Has she heard about rendition?

I liked Ollie's reply - "I know you cheat and steal from people...."  Birdie's facial expression was just, "Oh, uh..."

Yeah, I don't understand art people either.  $2 million dollars for that?

• Like 3

So, I guess I will be the one to say it...Milo just doesn't have good luck with small kitchen appliances.  Well, at least they didn't use a crock pot to blame for the fire...

I actually think it would be a better show just focusing on the family and their cons (kind of like Leverage).  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Daphne looks like a lost Judd sister.

Liked the Birdie/Ollie scene.

So Dad caused Birdie's marriage to fail somehow?

Modern art is a scam. It always has been. True talent hardly ever gets rewarded while gimmicky hacks get famous (Warhol, Basquiat, Haring, Banksy, et. al. ad nauseam)

• Like 1