Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation: Montauk Does Rashomon

• Start Topic

And this is the same man who in his version, Alison was pretty much a scarlett temptress practically panting and ready to jump his bones every single second she was around him.

Noah's memory of the first time he met Alison had her in a too short waitress outfit and later her smoking and practically flinging her ass in his face on the beach and later undressing before him and inviting him to join her in a shower. If their timelines of their first meeting matches, the first day these people met was the first anniversary of Alison's son's death. Anyone actually believe that's how she acted that day towards Noah? But that's how he remembers her.

This is from the first episode thread, A lot of people said this last season and I agreed until the episode where Alison threw herself at Oscar when she was upset at Noah's seeming rejection. I think the writers were trying to show that she acts out sexually when she's in pain. Maybe Noah's version was more accurate, precisely because it was the anniversary of her son's death.

Note: I'm assuming this is the general, all-purpose series discussion thread.

From the episode 3 thread:

Not that spouses have to have an interest in each other's careers, but it just seemed to illustrate that they have NOTHING in common and don't seem to know each other AT ALL. I mean Noah apparently forgot Allison's son drowned?!? WTF?!

IMO, it's hard for me to give Noah a pass for forgetting about Gabriel because he had an affair with a married woman whose marriage was in ruins because her child died. That may not be an immediate association, but if you're in love with someone and thinking about marrying them, which is why you threw away your other marriage, you either don't forget something like that, or you are more mindful and remember that her kid drowned in a pool when she reacts strongly and fear to the suggestion.

I did a quick re-watch to confirm something. All during the episode, particularly when Noah was trying to get Alison in the pool and didn't seem to understand why she wouldn't, I kept thinking, "but Noah knows Gabriel drowned, so how can he not put it together why she won't go in the water?" I was sure Alison told him about it in the episode when they spent the day on the island at the bed and breakfast place. So I watched again and sure enough she did. Of course that was Alison's version of things but can you really be off in your memory in terms of sharing something that horrific and tragic with someone?

Thank you all for saying this: If you just watched Noah's POV for both seasons, you wouldn't even know Alison had a son. Did she even actually tell him about Gabriel or did she just misremember that she did? Can we get SOME indication Noah even knows Gabriel existed to clear this up? Please? Just a little off-hand reference? I mean, Noah asking why kids need to grow up and not knowing why Alison wouldn't get in the pool? Is any human alive really that clueless?

I liked their conversation about her demons because it's the first time he's seen her as having any sort of inner life or really being anything but a walking sex doll. He was until this moment was utterly oblivious to the fact that she was in any sort of pain or distress. And even after that I still don't know if he knows about Gabriel, since he wasn't mentioned. I just don't understand how the creator/writer apparently thinks they're portraying love and have one of the lovers be completely ignorant of the most important and defining aspect of the other. That they lost a child and are grieving.

Edited by carryanation
  • Love 1

Joined the forum to say this week's episode convinced me that Scotty was killed by Max.  We know from season one Max visited The End & wound up visiting again without Noah or Noah even knowing about it until later.  We know Max enjoys partying and substances.  We know Max has plenty of cash to splash around, cash he might be willing to invest in a club.  It's easy to see why someone might describe him as a guy who deals in "junkbonds or something".

Remains to be seen if Max laid a trail to Noah to coverup his guilt.   

• Love 1

Joined the forum to say this week's episode convinced me that Scotty was killed by Max.  We know from season one Max visited The End & wound up visiting again without Noah or Noah even knowing about it until later.  We know Max enjoys partying and substances.  We know Max has plenty of cash to splash around, cash he might be willing to invest in a club.  It's easy to see why someone might describe him as a guy who deals in "junkbonds or something".

And another possible clue is that Max previously mentioned that he wanted to buy a house in Montauk - although he may have cooled on that idea since Helen rejected him.

I like this speculation. Can you remind me of how we know about Max's repeated visits to The End? I remember him meeting Noah & the family there and then staying later and hanging out with Noah. (Is that right?)

If Max was the investor, its not hard to imagine that Scotty may have used the funds inappropriately. Understandably, Max gets pissed and seeks retribution. But why kill Scott? That isn't going to recover his investment. Why frame Noah? Just to get Helen? That seems a bit obsessive, particularly given how much time has passed since the discussion about the plane tickets to Buenos Aires. If Max is the killer, I think that it may have more to do with Scotty's drug business than a bad investment.

The inclusion of a murder mystery in a show about marriage, fidelity and adult relationships has always confused me. Why include it? It fits in well with the use of the unreliable narrator device but, IMO, it has to tie back into "the affair" itself...somehow.

Also, interesting to see that Oscar has returned with even more reason to want to eliminate a Lockhart. Any idea of what he handed Noah's lawyer in the diner?

I like this speculation. Can you remind me of how we know about Max's repeated visits to The End? I remember him meeting Noah & the family there and then staying later and hanging out with Noah. (Is that right?)

I have a hazy recollection of his meeting Noah there ( Allison waitressing there?) and Noah finding out/Max confirming that he had stayed/been back, partied, hooked up with someone there.

• Love 1

There has been speculation in the episode thread that Cole is the father of Alison's child. If that's true, or if Cole even suspects it, I find it hard to believe that he hasn't done anything to try to establish paternity, and if he was indeed the father, fight for joint custody. Gabriel's death has obviously affected him deeply, and I can't imagine he would just walk away from a new child. Unless he also knocked up Luisa and decided not to stir things up and focus on building a family with her. Though based on the last episode, I got the feeling the quickie wedding will be because of her immigration status (to avoid deportation, perhaps?), and not because of a pregnancy, and even if he did get Luisa pregnant, I don't see Cole as the type of guy who knows he has a child and does nothing about it.

I don't think the kid is Cole's, for the same reasons, but it's possible that's a big plot point in the Noah-Allison relationship, where she has to tell him, OH by the by, I fucked Cole while you were tending to your sick child.  I think the point of this season is to show  us all the problems and issues that are part of Noah and Allison's relationship but to show us how they get past them, and have a FABULOUS happy life, and thus made for each other.

Edited by blixie

This latest ep, with the two Thanksgiving dinners, has no overlap at all.

I'm sure they broke that convention of retelling the same events from different characters' POVs earlier in season 2.

But now they're using the different segments to exposit different parts of the narrative rather than show how different characters experienced overlapping events.

In this case, tensions between Noah and Allison develop as the demands of the promotion of his book grow.

And Cole discovers the family secret and starts to move on?

But the murder mystery now seems to dominate the plot more and more, Instead of depicting all these flawed characters surrounding the affair.

Cole is now no longer in Allisons orbit so his segments may as well be separate stories except for the murder plot which keeps him together.

Maybe Scottie's sense of entitlement about Allisons house, which she's selling to help pay for their NY apt, will be one of the things which lead to his murder.

This latest ep, with the two Thanksgiving dinners, has no overlap at all.

I'm sure they broke that convention of retelling the same events from different characters' POVs earlier in season 2.

But now they're using the different segments to exposit different parts of the narrative rather than show how different characters experienced overlapping events.

The slight overlap was Alison's POV ending with the doorbell ringing and then later we find out that it was Cole ringing the doorbell. Also, we hear that Whitney is missing in Noah's phone call with Helen and then we find out what happened with Whitney in Cole's. I think they could reasonably work in minor overlaps like that. Maybe Cole will watch one of Noah's interviews on TV while Alison is there on set, for instance.

• Love 1

In this case, tensions between Noah and Allison develop as the demands of the promotion of his book grow.

And Cole discovers the family secret and starts to move on?

But the murder mystery now seems to dominate the plot more and more, Instead of depicting all these flawed characters surrounding the affair.

It is interesting to see how the narrative has changed over the course of this season and, as a result, how it has pushed the story is forward. I have always been intrigued by the fact that there was a murder mystery in the middle of a story about relationships and marriage and fidelity. I never expected it to dominate the plot as it is right now.

I keep coming back to Noah's trite description of his book in his early meeting with Harry: "death of the American pastoral." Something about this has to tie back to Montauk and the residents v. the summer people. Wealth/money is a recurring theme. And I can't put it all together.

"Crazy" volatile Whitney is being given a lot of screen time. First she appears at Cold Spring and screams to Noah about Alison and then she appears in Montauk in the last episode looking for Scotty. I think she just may be the one who killed Scotty. Maybe Noah even knows Whitney killed Scotty and he is not talking to protect his daughter. 

"Crazy" volatile Whitney is being given a lot of screen time.

Agreed, though I think Cole, Noah, and Allison have each been given  a ride on Supsect Merry Go Round, and a "reason" they might have done it, Cole's instability and his having usurped Scotty over a business deal and a woman, Allison seemingly threatened by Scotty about paternity of her child, and Noah having visions of murdering Allison, along with his built in ish with Scotty over Whitney. Still I think Whitney did it, as you say she's not a main character yet she's being given the highest profile of all the Solloway kids even in Cole's POV and most of that revolves around her still passionate feeling and belief she and Scotty are tru love.

Still I think Whitney did it, as you say she's not a main character yet she's being given the highest profile of all the Solloway kids even in Cole's POV and most of that revolves around her still passionate feeling and belief she and Scotty are tru love.

I think that I am one of the few people that doesn't think that Whitney is the culprit. However, as many have pointed out, she is getting a lot of screen time and much of that screen time is devoted to her obsession with Scotty. Maybe she did do it...

Helen is determined to prove that Noah is not guilty of killing Scotty. She is willing to sell the house to provide him with a defense. Would she do this if evidence could instead point to Whitney? I doubt it. Unless, of course, she doesn't know that Whitney is guilty. (They seem not to know her whereabouts on a regular basis.) Or unless they have conspired to cover up Whitney's involvement.

Just curious, but does anyone think Helen may have hit Scotty? There was a lot of conversation in the last episode about her need to protect Whitney from her constant bad decisions, feeling like a failed parent, etc. And also nervous questions to the lawyer re: other suspects. I don't want this to be the conclusion at all, but all of the principal characters are being considered, and I don't think I've seen Helen's name come up.

Edited by RedInk
  • Love 2

Just curious, but does anyone think Helen may have hit Scotty? There was a lot of conversation in the last episode about her need to protect Whitney from her constant bad decisions, feeling like a failed parent, etc. And also nervous questions to the lawyer re: other suspects. I don't want this to be the conclusion at all, but all of the principal characters are being considered, and I don't think I've seen Helen's name come up.

I have wondered, RedInk! ! It sure would explain her burying Noah in lawyers-- not so much to protect him, but to prevent him from incriminating her.

I, too, have considered that Helen may be the one who killed Scotty. At this point she's the only one of the four who hasn't had suspicion cast on them, which makes me worry. I really hope it isn't her. If it is, I'm guessing she's trying hard to help Noah avoid conviction because she feels guilty about letting him go to jail for something she did, even though it makes it more likely they'll figure out it's her. Again, I'm really hoping that isn't the case and it's either Alison or Noah, although I'm pretty sure it wasn't either one of them. Whitney is an acceptable alternative. I don't understand Cole's motive. His brother was a jerk, sure, but the show (and some viewers) keep positing that it had something to do with Cole stealing Scotty's investment idea. Wouldn't that give Scotty reason to kill Cole, not the other way around? Maybe I missed something.

• Love 1

Helen would be really random only because she would had to have been in Montauk that day, which is where the accident happened. And would it have been that hard to verify her whereabouts? Noah was with Alison in Montauk we know for a fact because they were at Cole's wedding. So Helen likely had the kids then so she couldn't have just run off somewhere alone. I guess it could have been summer and she was visiting her parents but with the parents marriage ending, her cutting ties with her mom, would that even still be happening. I just think Helen being guilty would be one of those random, "anything for a surprise reveal." It just doesn't really make much sense. Yes I know she seems unnaturally invested in Noah getting off but I still think that leans towards Witney being the guilty person. 

• Love 2

Helen would be really random only because she would had to have been in Montauk that day, which is where the accident happened. And would it have been that hard to verify her whereabouts?

You're right, of course. I'm not sure why she would be there unless she was looking for Whitney. In the present, she seems guilty to me, and worried, which could absolutely point to her protecting her child instead. But Helen has become so sympathetic that she's not on anyone's radar, really, and I'm not sure the show would be above a shocking twist. I'd be sad about it! Edited by RedInk
  • Love 1

I have wondered, RedInk! ! It sure would explain her burying Noah in lawyers-- not so much to protect him, but to prevent him from incriminating her.

Yes I know she seems unnaturally invested in Noah getting off but I still think that leans towards Witney being the guilty person. 

I agree that Helen's determination to have Noah acquitted is a bit curious.

I assume that she is doing it because he is the father of her children and, at some level, still has feelings for him. If she was actually the guilty party (or knows that Whitney is), it would be risky...unless she can shift suspicion to someone else...like Alison. It seems like Gottlief may have offered her that possibility.

Still, there is no way that the ex-wife of the accused would be gathering evidence (the pacifier).

It is a interesting choice by the show runner that we see more interaction between Helen and Gottlief than between Noah and Gottlief. So many unanswered questions. Noah originally claimed that he hit a deer not Scotty. Is that still his story? If so, has anyone looked for the other car? If not, why isn't Gottlief trying to prove that Noah was "elsewhere" when Scotty was hit? Are there witnesses that can place him somewhere other than behind the wheel?

It appears that this murder investigation is now tied to the paternity issue which, IMO, is unfortunate.

By next season, this show will no longer be about the affair.

Already, it seems most characters are over the affair.  Helen could have a civil or good time at a social outing with Noah, depending on which POV you watch.

Will they evolve the show beyond the trial?  That is, once the trial is over, what will be the reason for the show to continue?

Could be a difficult reboot, like it was with Homeland.

Without the murder, this is just a slightly tawdry upper middle-class scandal, which could have been drawn from one of the thousands of divorces which must occur in this milieu -- affluent New Yorkers who summer in the Hamptons and other parts of Long Island.

But imagine now with Noah's supposed celebrity, this murder case would be national news, there would probably be tabloid-like coverage.  You would expect photographers mobbing them as they go in and out of the courtroom.  The Solloways were rather a boring Brooklyn family who lived in a nice brownstone.  But then Noah's embroiled in a murder case and he becomes a popular author.  TMZ does some digging and finds out about the famous father in law author, who paid for that brownstone, who's also in the middle of a messy divorce as he leaves his wife for someone much younger and Noah, the new bad boy of literature, cheated on his wife with a townie who comes from a "transactional crowd."

There would still be good drama to mine from these characters after the trial, presuming all the main characters are exonerated.  But not quite as titillating as all these cheating on each other and drug trafficking and murder.

• Love 2

This is my fear, especially after she took the pacifier to make Alison an alternative suspect.  She looked so guilty in that scene, and hesitant to do such a thing. 

I will be really MAD if that's the storyline they've set up.  Even madder than if they've set Cole up for the murder.  *grinds teeth* 

• Love 3

I think the hit-and-run driver is either Helen or one of her parents as purely accidental. Helen's getting way too involved in protecting Noah and trying to find any evidence that could get suspicion off of him seemingly out of guilt.

I think they all have their suspicions who it is, which fuels a desperation for some of them to hide what they know for various reasons.  Still think it's a classic farce and the trial is going to be a bumpy ride with the explosive revelation that Joanie isn't Noah's child.  I think Cole cannot conceive Allison would ever keep a secret like that from him after all they shared and is completely in the dark until he lays eyes on the girl in the courtroom, possibly not even until "Noah, you are NOT the father" comes spilling out of the DNA testimony.

I still say while they're all nervously protecting whoever they each feel is responsible none of them is right and ultimately it will come out Max killed Scotty, accidentally or intentionally.

I think the hit-and-run driver is either Helen or one of her parents as purely accidental. Helen's getting way too involved in protecting Noah and trying to find any evidence that could get suspicion off of him seemingly out of guilt.

Helen's dad as the potential driver would be fascinating also.

• Love 1

I'm worried about Helen, because her point of view has been missing during the last two episodes. I don't know if this is misdirection by the writers, or what.

Helen's motivation for intentionally killing Scotty would have to be related to Whitney, so maybe he reconnects with Whitney or tries to at the wedding. Or he reveals to Helen something she does not want Noah to find out.

Max could be the killer, and if he is, I don't think it's about money, I think it would be about something Scotty knows and has been lying about for Max's sake. Max has possibly been paying him off. I hate to think that, because I think Max has been shown to have some decency about him, especially after the last interaction with Noah.

I would be more specific, but I want to use spoiler tags and my iPad won't let me. But one of the reasons I think Max and Helen might be involved is that long, quiet look Whitney gave her mother when she asked her to stop calling Max "Uncle Max."

As I said up above, I will be furious with the writers if they've set us up to like Helen's journey only to find out that she is the guilty one, and is trying to save her exhusband by throwing his current wife under the bus. The whole "she stole your husband" from the lawyer makes me think that he is trying to save Helen as well.

• Love 2

The driver doesn't need to have been at the wedding, only to have been in Montauk that night.  Which could still easily include Helen and Whitney, if they are staying with Margaret (or even with Max). Margaret's musings about forgiveness imply that she and Helen have begun to reconcile.  On the other hand, the scene at Margaret's house does do the work of setting up an invitation.

• Love 2

You're right, Pallas. But some people were questioning why Helen would be in the area that night (I thought maybe looking for Whitney with Scotty), but now it's kind of established that everyone has a reason to be in Montauk the night of the wedding. Although I've sort of excluded Max as the driver because he's involving himself by testifying when he'd otherwise be off the radar.

If they have Helen and Whitney attending the wedding based on their "connection" to Luisa, I'm calling that sloppy writing and a desperate attempt to make everyone a plausible suspect.  Most especially so if they reveal either one to be responsible for the killing.

I'm dying to know what the Detective is reacting to so strongly in the preview.  He seems shocked and extremely horrified.

ETA:  I'm absolutely not writing Max off as the driver based on the fact he testified.  He's still my top suspect.

Edited by Tikichick

We know that

Helen is at the wedding due to the previews for next week. She may run down Scotty because Scotty knows he didn't get Whitney pregnant, Max did, and he has been covering for Max this entire time.  Or Max may kill him to keep him from revealing that he's been covering for Max.  Either way, pretty big ICK factor.

I dunno, maybe I have a twisted mind.

• Love 2
Mama Cherry Lockhart would be a fabulously twisted answer to the mystery that I don't think anyone would see coming.

Hmm.  Reinforcing the idea that Cherry, herself, is the curse of the Lockharts.  And also another mother who'd have reason to blame herself for her son's death.

But then, what do we make of Noah's hosing down his car in Max's driveway?  I'm convinced that happened: Noah's reaction to Max's testimony said as much.  He was angry but not indignant. 

• Love 2
But then, what do we make of Noah's hosing down his car in Max's driveway?  I'm convinced that happened: Noah's reaction to Max's testimony said as much.  He was angry but not indignant. 

You have persuaded me that Max wasn't lying about seeing Noah hose down the car. He was protecting his friend...until he wasn't. It makes perfect sense that he wouldn't come forward with this information right away. He was conflicted.

Max made a point of asking Noah "how did you find my house" (paraphrasing). I assume that Max's house is out of the way and not on a main drag. So Noah could easily have taken the car there to hose it down, assuming that it would not be visible to the public or passing cars, etc. Of course, this doesn't mean that Noah was driving. He could have hosed down the car to cover for someone else.

• Love 1

We know that

]Helen is at the wedding due to the previews for next week. She may run down Scotty because Scotty knows he didn't get Whitney pregnant, Max did, and he has been covering for Max this entire time. Or Max may kill him to keep him from revealing that he's been covering for Max. Either way, pretty big ICK factor.

I dunno, maybe I have a twisted mind.

What?? Is that spoiler just speculation or really a spoiler? I guess I missed the previews.

Edited by Cosmocrush

What?? Is that spoiler just speculation or really a spoiler? I guess I missed the previews.

Yes.

Previews indicate that Helen is at the wedding. She is sitting in a chair on the beach next to her mother.

A few things that seem likely.  

(1)  The person who hit Scotty is someone we know.  The writing reserves its ambiguity for character, not plot.  

(2)  As someone we know, the person who hit Scotty did so by accident: I don't see even a drunken, drugged, angry and/or desperate Oscar, Noah, Cole, Max, Margaret, Luisa, Helen, Alison or Whitney actually living out Noah's fantasy of pressing down the pedal and deliberately accelerating into Scotty.  

(3)  Scotty, on the other hand, is a hedge fund of drunken, drugged, angry and desperate, with a huge margin of self-pity.  On the evening of Cole's wedding to Luisa, held at "Lockhart's Lobster Roll," after which he somehow washed up alone on the road to The End, on an impulse of pathetic petulance, Scotty could committed suicide by Beemer.   

(4) The driver was driving Noah's car and Noah knows it -- knew it from the night it happened, and has been covering for it ever since. The hosing-down, the bribed repairman, Noah's initial fake-dismissive reference to Scotty as "that fella" (who impregnated his teenage daughter, who he twice assaulted) when he was brought in for questioning. That should eliminate Oscar, Cole, Margaret, Luisa or Max. 

Whitney, Alison, Helen or Noah himself.  I think Whitney.  With the lesson being how Noah has progressively compromised himself as a father: Noah who, before the affair (was known), had the moral credibility to force Whitney to confess and take responsibility for having e-bullied a local Montauk girl into a suicide attempt.  To apologize in person, and even to ask her father, "How do I un-asshole myself?"  Two years later, if Noah appeared at the scene after being called by either Whitney or Helen, all he may have felt he had the right to do was to send Whitney safely away, and tell her he'd take care of it. 

• Love 1

I'll be disappointed if

• Scotty's death is an accident
  • Scotty's death is a case of mistaken identity
  • The killer is some "rando" to borrow a phrase from Helen's squeeze
  • The killer has no particular connection to the main story, for example, if it turns out the Eden ran over Scotty
  • The killer's motive or relationship with Scotty is a last minute reveal, or has been weekly developed up to the point of the reveal.

So it better not turn out that Miranda, if not the actual killer, is the second coming of Griselda Blanco, and had Scotty killed for screwing-up the local drug trade and Noah framed for revealing it in his book.  All while pretending to be the Butlers' soft spoken housekeeper.

At this point, I'd be disappointed if the killer turns out to be anyone but Noah or Alison or, perhaps, Whitney.  No one else has, in my opinion, sufficient motive or opportunity to kill Scotty.

Though I wouldn't be disappointed if the killer is never revealed but Noah is convicted.

• Love 3

I'll be disappointed if

• Scotty's death is an accident
  • Scotty's death is a case of mistaken identity
  • The killer is some "rando" to borrow a phrase from Helen's squeeze
  • The killer has no particular connection to the main story, for example, if it turns out the Eden ran over Scotty
  • The killer's motive or relationship with Scotty is a last minute reveal, or has been weekly developed up to the point of the reveal.

So it better not turn out that Miranda, if not the actual killer, is the second coming of Griselda Blanco, and had Scotty killed for screwing-up the local drug trade and Noah framed for revealing it in his book.  All while pretending to be the Butlers' soft spoken housekeeper.

At this point, I'd be disappointed if the killer turns out to be anyone but Noah or Alison or, perhaps, Whitney.  No one else has, in my opinion, sufficient motive or opportunity to kill Scotty.

Though I wouldn't be disappointed if the killer is never revealed but Noah is convicted.

Agree on all counts. I would be extremely disappointed if Scotty's death proved to be an accident or a case of mistaken identity. At this point, IMO, its much too late plot wise for the former and unlikely to be the latter. The other three scenarios are possibilities, unfortunately. 

We have seen so little of the trial and evidence that I'm not sure what the outcome will be. If I had to guess, I'd say that Noah is found not guilty and the "real" killer isn't revealed.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Noah is found not guilty and the "real" killer isn't revealed.

On almost any other show, I could see the showrunner opting for the ambiguous, more naturalistic, "and "we'll never know"  fade-out on the murder plot. But I suspect that The Affair's murder mystery was woven in to appeal to a larger audience (viewers of procedurals, or, men).  Just as Noah got his agent's attention when he noted that his new book about an affair would end with a murder.  

My sense is that Sarah Treem is not much concerned with plot -- and so, less apt to serve it up with nuance.  I think she feels she can't leave everything open-ended, or available only to interpretation.  And since she has to choose...well, a beginning, miiddle and definite end is good enough for plot.  With character, she can paint the fog. 

On almost any other show, I could see the showrunner opting for the ambiguous, more naturalistic, "and "we'll never know"  fade-out on the murder plot. But I suspect that The Affair's murder mystery was woven in to appeal to a larger audience (viewers of procedurals, or, men).  Just as Noah got his agent's attention when he noted that his new book about an affair would end with a murder.

Possibly...right now, its hard to know what the show runner was planning with this murder mystery. Hopefully, the finale will give us answers and not just about who the killer really is.

I believe that the guilt or innocence of Noah (or of any of the main characters, in fact) is beside the point. That's why I think that Noah will be found not guilty. Its also why we've seen so little of the actual trial and presentation of evidence. The entire trial is about truth and betrayal and how the bonds of love/friendship are tested.

• Love 1

Count me in with those who think Whitney killed Scotty - but accidentally. She and Noah still haven't reconciled - probably haven't even seen each other - until the wedding. Noah begs her to talk to him, they drive away in his car (she's driving because he's had too much to drink?). She starts screaming at him, takes her eyes off the road, and hits Scotty. Noah is panic-stricken - his first instinct is to call the police, but Whitney is hysterical, knows a case could be made for premeditation given her history with Scotty, and begs Noah not to report it. Helen also wants to protect Whitney but doesn't want Noah to be convicted so hires expensive legal representation and steals Joanie's pacifier to try to shift plausible suspicion to Alison/Cole.

I could also see Helen behind the wheel, with Whitney and Noah as passengers, getting distracted when they start screaming at each other, bit I think Helen would be acting guiltiest if that were the case. I do think it was Noah's car that hit Scotty, but Noah wasn't driving, and whoever was in the car hid while he washed the blood off.

Now watch it be Margaret Talbot who was in the car with Noah!

• Love 1

I promised myself that I would never read Treem's Twitter feed but, in a weak moment, I did. She has made some interesting comments about the finale:

Past is prologue? Who's past...Noah's? What about his past - particularly in those episodes - informs the outcome? I have not re-watched those episodes; I've just read recaps. Other car accidents? Lies?

Use of the word "uproar" concerns me. IMO, an uproar doesn't result from anything positive. I'm inclined to think that the writers are going to pull something out of left field. We've been promised that the killer will be revealed. How? Will someone stand up in the court room and confess?

Or maybe they will go full-on melodrama: Noah will be found guilty and get dragged out of the court room. Then, to close the episode, we will see a new character POV (possibilities are Whitney, Oscar, Luisa, Max) that will demonstrate that he/she is the actual killer.

Or maybe that deer borrowed Noah's car and ran over Scotty.

• Love 1

Hmm...Episode 5 from last year is the one where Whitney cyberbullies one of her classmates. And then episode 4 of this season is the one where Noah takes the kids to go see his family after Helen gets arrested for being high. So, that leads me to believe that either Whitney or Helen is the one who murdered Scotty.

• Love 1

This is from the description for next week:

A startling admission causes Noah to withdraw from his new life. Meanwhile, Alison is honest with Noah and herself

I wonder if this means the baby paternity question is a red herring. I originally thought Joanie would turn out to be Noah's but some of the heavy handed clues in the episodes has made me doubt it. Obviously there isn't much to go on in this blurb but I'm wondering if Alison being honest with herself and Noah means she comes clean about Cole and the possibility that Joanie is his and that this is what causes Noah to withdraw. If so, I'm sure the two of them already settled the issue of paternity pretty and since they're still together in the future/present it most likely means Joanie is his. Or maybe she's being honest about something else but the paternity issue would be the most obvious answer.

• Love 1