Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: George Saunders

juno
  • Start Topic

Premiers: Mar 26, 2023

When George Saunders visits Railton College, the professors scramble to impress the celebrated writer, while Hank is reminded of his own failed writing career. Hank and Lily anticipate an announcement from their daughter Julie.

• Like 1

This episode confused me. Why did they use the name of a real author (and even mention one of his real books) but cast an actor to play him and make him not at all like the real George Saunders (or at least the public persona we know)? I would've rather they just made up a fictional author he had a beef with.

• Like 2

Someone didn't do their clearance research, perhaps.  It happens, though.  George Clooney made a movie called 'Up In The Air', in which he played a character named Ryan Bingham, which happened to be the name of an up and coming country music singer.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, SHD said:

This episode confused me. Why did they use the name of a real author (and even mention one of his real books) but cast an actor to play him and make him not at all like the real George Saunders (or at least the public persona we know)? I would've rather they just made up a fictional author he had a beef with.

I don't know if it was a coincidence or not.  I intend to read the book after this series.  My parents have both been academics.  While I'm not as embroiled as they are, this still rings true a bit.  I liked the lampshading the "I slept with his father" bit in the beginning, with the reveal of the review writer also sleeping with Hank's father, and his general man-whorishiness.  This show is quirky.

• Like 3

I truly enjoyed it. All the snarkiness and petty jealousies that academics foster  among themselves. It seemed that George really cared about Hank, so was Hank just paranoid? Or listening to that inner imposter-syndrome voice we all have?

I'm also enjoying the supporting cast. There is some real depth to them and they are not just caricatures, at least not to me. 

I'm sticking with it. 

• Like 6
On 3/29/2023 at 4:21 PM, cardigirl said:

I truly enjoyed it. All the snarkiness and petty jealousies that academics foster  among themselves. It seemed that George really cared about Hank, so was Hank just paranoid? Or listening to that inner imposter-syndrome voice we all have?

I'm also enjoying the supporting cast. There is some real depth to them and they are not just caricatures, at least not to me. 

I'm sticking with it. 

Agree. We're  sticking  with it as well.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 3/24/2023 at 3:58 AM, juno said:

When George Saunders visits Railton College, the professors scramble to impress the celebrated writer, while Hank is reminded of his own failed writing career. Hank and Lily anticipate an announcement from their daughter Julie.

For me this was the hardest and longest, I hope the next one will be more interesting, it's strange in general this series.

(edited)
On 3/24/2023 at 3:58 AM, juno said:

Besides that I think bullying is present here, because bullying is a pervasive issue that affects individuals of all ages and can have detrimental effects on their well-being. It is a problem that demands attention and action.

This I learned from the writing that I did with the help of https://samploon.com/free-essays/bullying/; from here you can access a range of free essay examples that delve into the complex topic of bullying. These essays provide insightful perspectives on the causes, consequences, and potential solutions to combat bullying in various settings, from schools to workplaces and beyond.

By reading these essays, you can gain a deeper understanding of the emotional toll bullying takes on its victims and the importance of fostering a supportive and inclusive environment. Moreover, there are writings on various topics, mostly from here I found everything I needed for college and besides I now better understand texts and films because I have become much more developed.

Sorry, I messed up, I watched the previous series, now it's much clearer to me*

Edited by ireneemace