Type keyword(s) to search

Are You The One? - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Shenanigans!!! If anyone ever doubted this shit was rigged before.... 

I'm just glad I won't have to hear Asia refer to women as "females" anymore, like she's studying some sort of animal species. On second thought, she ain't half wrong.

• Love 4

The highlight of this episode was Grant asking Zak if he even knows himself and Zak said 'I don't know'...I think that answer says it all, lol. 

Has it always been like this in past seasons because I'm so incredibly confused why all of them sat back down after the 9th beam and looked so nervous for that 10th beam. They were coupled up so if one pairing was wrong, it would mean that their match is someone else who is sitting next to someone else which  in turn would make that couple wrong. The closest outcome they could have and lose the game would be 8 beams.Once they got the 9th beam, it was a given that they had won. Are they made to sit there and pretend like they don't know math or are they stupid...or shit, am I stupid? I've had a long day but I don't feel like I'm over complicating this, lol. Did they really not know? Were they made to pretend that they were nervous about the last beam? Or did they edit their reactions? I have so many questions about this, lol.

They don't actually expect us to believe these dingdongs figured this shit out on their own right? Some of them can't even find even a somewhat perfect match when it comes to their foundation, let alone another human being.

Who is this Lauren chick, and where did she come from? :P

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ProphecyGrrl said:

Heaven obviously! Created for Kwasi!

A match for Kwasi could only come from hell.

Also I laughed at Lauren using the term BBC how it was originally coined instead of whatever Kwasi was going on about.

• Love 3
On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎08 at 11:29 PM, RHJunkie said:

Has it always been like this in past seasons because I'm so incredibly confused why all of them sat back down after the 9th beam and looked so nervous for that 10th beam. They were coupled up so if one pairing was wrong, it would mean that their match is someone else who is sitting next to someone else which  in turn would make that couple wrong. The closest outcome they could have and lose the game would be 8 beams.Once they got the 9th beam, it was a given that they had won. Are they made to sit there and pretend like they don't know math or are they stupid...or shit, am I stupid? I've had a long day but I don't feel like I'm over complicating this, lol. Did they really not know? Were they made to pretend that they were nervous about the last beam? Or did they edit their reactions? I have so many questions about this, lol.

I think there were 11 beams - they had to get 10 to know for sure they had them all right. So after 9 they were still nervous, but when the 10th one lit up they all jumped up screaming and there was no drama over the 11th one, which lit up right after the 10th.  That's how it looked to me, anyway.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, strippedhalo said:

I think there were 11 beams - they had to get 10 to know for sure they had them all right. So after 9 they were still nervous, but when the 10th one lit up they all jumped up screaming and there was no drama over the 11th one, which lit up right after the 10th.  That's how it looked to me, anyway.

Ohh that makes sense then. Shows how much I've been paying attention...I thought there were 10 couples, not 11, lol. 

• Love 1

@strippedhalo has it.  Beam 10 and Beam 11 lit up one right after the other.  The pregnant pause was before Beam 10, because once that lit up they knew they had it. 

$1M divided by 22 people... $45K.  Not a shabby reward for being a bunch of doofuses.

1 hour ago, Drogo said:

@strippedhalo has it.  Beam 10 and Beam 11 lit up one right after the other.  The pregnant pause was before Beam 10, because once that lit up they knew they had it. 

$1M divided by 22 people... $45K.  Not a shabby reward for being a bunch of doofuses.

Oh man my husband lost it over this. We kept arguing about whether it was a million a piece or a million divided and no one in their right mind would do that for what, 28k after taxes? But I guess if I were 22 and wanted "my butt done" that's one way to do it.

It'll allow them to buy followers on instagram and join the rest of the reality tv hos & bros who get way too rich from lying about how awesome flat tummy tea, vitamin gummi bears, teeth whitening trays and fabfitfun boxes are. When they're not posting half-naked butt floss pics, or pretty much naked pics.

• Love 3

So Zak has a “brand” now and its being a douche to women?  And yet, as much as all of these women ( and more) have seen how he treats them  on national television & I guess,social media,  they will still allow this to happen. The sad thing is that his lack of remorse or willingness to change will only be further rewarded by MTV with more opportunities. Apparently the women’s movement is less pervasive among young people than I thought.

• Love 3
On 11/12/2018 at 1:59 PM, vinnieprice said:

Oh man my husband lost it over this. We kept arguing about whether it was a million a piece or a million divided and no one in their right mind would do that for what, 28k after taxes? But I guess if I were 22 and wanted "my butt done" that's one way to do it.

Don't forget, they're also now eligible for a life long career as a Challenge participant.

Shanley - why?

• Love 2

Zak is a fuckboy with a talent to manipulate women his age.  I'd love to see him pulling this shit on someone a decade older…I think he'd be limping.

Shamoy had a gf the whole time?  Shaaaaaady.  And, please, Mr. Host, the vetters for the show totally knew about it before they cast his ass.

• Love 4

I’m so confused by Tevin and Kenya’s relationship. 

Samantha now wants to marry her horrible, vile, tremendously awful ex? I can’t with any of these people, they are just too stupid to live. 

Zac got worse, who would have thought it possible?

• Love 5

I don't even care about the Zak stuff anymore. He doesn't even try to hide while he is. All these women are the dumb ones. Zak is just doing what they allow him to do.

Plenty of dudes on this show and in life constantly being rewarded for shitty behavior. This is why people were against Morgan still banging Zak. It only makes her look stupid. Not sex positive. 

I knew something was fishy in regard to Andrew and Lauren. They had them together in season previews but they never even spoke together on screen. Whatever went on with them was totally dropped on the floor.

These bums get like 40 thousand for winning. All money is good money but it ain't really shit. Jump change for mtvViacom. It's all a joke. I just enjoy laughing at the dummies.

I laughed when Lauren said she's the thing that should have been featured more.

sooo...everyone wrapped the season and went back to dating their ex? How did Nutsa even have time to break up with Brett, move cross-country to move in with Zak, and then dump him before the reunion? Are Moe and Kayla together still? WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP FUCKING ZAK?

The biggest reveal was that Shamoy was a shady douche from day one in the honeymoon suite, when he and Maria were glorified as the instant power couple of the season.

• Love 4

Not brought up on the reunion but apparently Maria/Kwasi and Kenya/Tevin had sex in the boom boom room at the same time independent to one another. I assume it was last night since Maria was gone for so long.

Shit like this just makes me question things more and more. We know Natia was already done with Shamoy before the last night but she rejected Kwasi based on Shamoy. So they had sex anyway? Weird.

And of course a asshole like Kwasi gets laid in the house. Him and Zak. Two peas in a pod. Most of these people are hopeless right now.

Sam going back to that shitheel ex makes me just remove anything positive I thought about her. She's supposed to be that badass mature hardworker but all she dates are lunkheads that will never treat her right.

• Love 1

Zak’s ex that came on the “relationship getaway” episode seemed like a normal human being. I really wonder what her story is.

The AYTO franchise has now exceeded the Bachelor in interseason incestuousness.

ETA: I read that Shamoy didn’t just have a GF, he had a baby.

Edited by Amy Beth
  • Love 3

I’m curious, besides the $40,000 they get if they win ( which seems to be virtually assured) do they get money for being in the house, travel or other expenses?  The only people who came out of this shows with their reputations relatively unscathed were Lauren ( be happy you were not seen) and Moe. No wonder Moe is a fan favorite!

5 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

I’m curious, besides the $40,000 they get if they win ( which seems to be virtually assured) do they get money for being in the house, travel or other expenses?  The only people who came out of this shows with their reputations relatively unscathed were Lauren ( be happy you were not seen) and Moe. No wonder Moe is a fan favorite!

I think they always get a fee for being on these shows. Don't know how much but they don't do it for free.

Well, it definitely looks like Kai will be this season's Zak. He's the same brand of gleeful, shit eating fuckboy. Testosterone must be a hell of a hormone if it makes you so uncontrollably horny that you need to fuck someone else an hour after the girl you just had sex with went to sleep - lol, he's so full of shit. His girl (name???) is going to become the new Morgan if she doesn't wake up soon. I think Kai is still high off both men and women now perceiving him as irresistibly sexy as a man, which I'm sure would be a big anxiety prior to transitioning, so I can't fault him on that front, but he's still kind of a shitty opportunistic person. I guess this show is the perfect playground to revel in your male puberty. It was super fucking rude of him during the match ceremony when Danny was listing all Kai's qualities that he found attractive and Kai wouldn't even make eye contact before totally brushing him off. We found the one person in the house Kai doesn't want to bang!

I don't get all the fuss over Nour, who just seems okay. Amber was practically peeing on her (not like that, Remi) to mark her territory from the minute they talked. It read as very desperate and off putting. Then Justin got all pissy with Nour for "wasting his time" with one date/make out and a confirmed non-match...chill bud, it's not like you were dating a month.

Kylie is the cutest girl in the house to me personally and I think she has good chemistry with both Kali and Basit. I saw Paige on Tinder a few weeks ago lol so it's so weird seeing her on the show. She seems very awkward and I'm not sure any of the women will have the patience to hold her hand through socially coming out, as she basically admitted having zero experience with women (which seemed to turn Jasmine off on their date). 

It makes me laugh that most of the guys in the house all seem to share a little torch for Justin.

• Love 2

I have to say that this cast is far more attractive than the last season's cast.  Nary a funny-looking person in the bunch.

It was a fairly exhausting episode, but I feel most first episodes are that way because there's so many people to try and learn names and such.

It's going to be much harder this way to figure out all the matches.  It will be amazing if they somehow figure it all out

I really enjoyed the first episode and think this cast is super fun.  I can see a lot of them on future Challenge seasons.  Also, I really like Dr. Frankie and her segment.  It might be too early to say this but I hope AYTO keeps her on for future seasons.

Also, I felt sorry for Danny when Kai was ignoring all of his compliments.  Between that and the small segment showing Danny and Kai flirting on the bed, I'm willing to bet that they are a perfect match because.... this is MTV.  I hope they aren't because I think Danny is sweet and I like that he is super nerdy.  I'll be your perfect match, Danny!  (if I wasn't married lol)

Just an observation... but did anyone else notice that during the first match up ceremony, the women tended to pick women and the men tended to pick men?  I'm sure it's a coincidence but thought it was interesting nonetheless.

• Love 2

I don't understand this show. How is it determined who the perfect matches are for the...beam ceremony or whatever? What's the point of the truth booth if they have the beam ceremony? I must have missed the explanations. I thought this might be something fun to watch during the summer, but it's a little exhausting.

And I don't know why everyone is fawning over Justin and Kai. Neither one are that attractive, to me. I think Jonathan is the most attractive, and not just because of his lion's mane hair. He's got a kind face.

Poor Danny...nobody seems interested in him.

• Love 2
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

I don't understand this show. How is it determined who the perfect matches are for the...beam ceremony or whatever? What's the point of the truth booth if they have the beam ceremony? I must have missed the explanations. I thought this might be something fun to watch during the summer, but it's a little exhausting.

The format of the show is in the group of 16 people, there are 8 "perfect matches".  So the contestants need to try to determine who in the rest of the group is their "perfect match" and there is only one winning combination that is determined by "matchmakers" (i.e. MTV producers).

At the beam ceremony, the contestants get a chance at guessing who their "perfect match" is and if everyone guesses correctly, they get the cash prize.  Of course, that is insanely difficult to do so they get 10 chances to guess and MTV will tell them in each round how many couples are correct (but not who those couples are).  So in this episode they got 2/8 couples correct.

The truth booth is where the house can send in one couple and MTV will tell them with 100% clarity if that couple is a perfect match or not.  This can be critical information as the season goes on.

So overall, the show is one big math equation but these people are not rocket scientists and are usually very sloppy. So the logic portion (or as the contestants say "strategy") generally does not play a huge part in the show (you can leave that to nerds like myself and Danny 😉 ).

ETA - I forgot to mention that if you are interested in the math, the Are You The One? Math blog does a good job breaking it down by episode and can usually predict the "perfect matches" by the 7th or 8th episode.

Edited by zenithwit
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, zenithwit said:

The format of the show is in the group of 16 people, there are 8 "perfect matches".  So the contestants need to try to determine who in the rest of the group is their "perfect match" and there is only one winning combination that is determined by "matchmakers" (i.e. MTV producers).

Yeah, I get all that...I was mainly asking how the producers determine the perfect matches. I guess thinking about it now, I'm assuming it's some sort of algorithm based off the contestants likes and dislikes, like those dating apps that suggest matches for you based on your profile.

And thanks for the link, but that is way too much math kudzu for a Saturday, lol.

I’m confused. Are all of these people bisexual? It seems like most of the men and a few of the women seem to be totally lesbian or gay.  Also, is Paige transexual - male to female and Kai transsexual female to male?  And are they attracted to both sexes?  I’m an old person and trying to understand, not be rude or ignorant.

13 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

I’m confused. Are all of these people bisexual? It seems like most of the men and a few of the women seem to be totally lesbian or gay.  Also, is Paige transexual - male to female and Kai transsexual female to male?  And are they attracted to both sexes?  I’m an old person and trying to understand, not be rude or ignorant.

Sure, I'll try to help! All of the contestants are bisexual so anyone could theoretically end up with anyone, which is supposed to be the appeal of this season, but seems to be throwing most viewers for a loop. Kai is the only self identified transgender person in the cast (female to male). Paige is just a skinny, androgynous cisgender (the term for "not transgender") girl.

As a bisexual woman with a growing preference for women, I can see how it would be possible to think that some of the participants are actually gay, especially with the men because we equate any effeminate tendencies in men with homosexuality and in general society is skeptical that men can even be bisexual, and that bisexual men only identify as such as a stepping stone to being gay.

On that note, I felt bad for Basit - it's obvious that Jonathan has a lot of issues with internalized homophobia and especially disgust with femininity in men, As he went on and on about how he only likes femininity in women and could NEVERRRR be attracted to a feminine masculine person. Only BIG BEEFY BRAWNY BEEFCAKES for him! Which is ironic because Basit is actually very fit and muscular, but Jonathan can't deal with Basit wearing skirts and eyeshadow. Basit was right to call out Jonathan for basically suggesting that he should be with Danny because they're both effeminate. At the same time, Basit picking Jonathan at the match ceremony was stupid. Dealing with dating biases sucks, but you can't guilt trip or lecture or bully someone into being attracted to you, and you should respect yourself enough to know that you deserve better than constantly trying to convince someone to see you that way.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

At the same time, Basit picking Jonathan at the match ceremony was stupid. Dealing with dating biases sucks, but you can't guilt trip or lecture or bully someone into being attracted to you, and you should respect yourself enough to know that you deserve better than constantly trying to convince someone to see you that way.

Basit seems to be playing one of the smarter games at this point. They said something during one of their confessionals about thinking that the experts had matched Jonathan and them up, rather than just going on pure emotion. Also, the match ceremony doesn't have a "none of the above" option, so the two of them might actually be stuck together until the end of the show even if they don't mesh well in person.

• Love 5
(edited)

Jonathan and Basit thinking they could be a match was adorable. Maybe Basit's long game did pay off. (Ok, just saw the beam ceremony. Never mind.)

Seriously, Kai and Jenna's just-out-of-a-romance-movie "I hate you! *tonsil hockey!*" moment was practically scripted. Even the misting rain felt artificial for effect. (Jenna, get some therapy. Stop chasing the drama if you ever want to be happy.)

Amber, honey, run from that hypocrite Nour. You don't need that crap in your life.

Edited by CoyoteBlue
  • Love 4

Jenna and Kai aren't that deep - they're just turned on by fighting and now it makes them horny they're not a match and pissing off the house by continuing to fuck. The Notebook this isn't.

Nour really revealed herself to be a giant asshole this week. Calling Paige an ugly ostrich would be immature for a sixth grader. She's got major narcissism and control issues. I hope Amber and Paige are a match just to spite her.

Jonathan is shady with drunkenly kissing Basit and saying they could be a match and then arbitrarily picking Brandon "because he looks like that." Basit, I repeat, please love yourself!

• Love 3

I feel for Basit but I guess we can’t help who we are attracted to and it’s pretty obvious he isn’t Jonathan’s type. I don’t particularly like Jonathan & feel that picky no Brandon was pretty much out of left field but oh, well...... Kai & Jenna - please stop giving them camera time. That’s what they came for.  There are at least. 5 people I have never seen if I’m going to be invested in this I have to know them. I thought Remy was going to be the villain in this show but I rather listen me him (at this juncture). Noir went from Indian princess to thug in one episode.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I continue to think Jonathan is the cutest guy in the house, but he's a little dense. I don't think he understands that a relationship is more than just physical attraction. Justin practically blew him off on their "date" last episode, but this episode Jonathan can't get the hint that Justin just isn't that into him. So now he's jumped to Brandon, the other hot muscular guy in the house, despite barely ever talking to him (that we've seen).

Not saying Basit is his perfect match, either.  I fully understand Jonathan's and Brandon's position that Basit is great to connect with, but their persona is not what either of them are attracted to. I understand Basit's frustration, but they're acting almost the same about Jonathan as Jonathan was acting about Justin.

Anyway, I'm sick of Kai and Jenna. All this angst, jeez. If they have a genuine connection, then fuck the show and be together! If they're just upset because they aren't the show's "perfect match" and they don't wanna lose the million dollars, then be together and just pick other people at the truth booth or beam ceremony and hope for the best. I feel like these kids are letting the show rules dictate their feelings. Is there some rule that says that they have to BE with their match even if they like someone else?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

I continue to think Jonathan is the cutest guy in the house, but he's a little dense. I don't think he understands that a relationship is more than just physical attraction. Justin practically blew him off on their "date" last episode, but this episode Jonathan can't get the hint that Justin just isn't that into him. So now he's jumped to Brandon, the other hot muscular guy in the house, despite barely ever talking to him (that we've seen).

Anyway, I'm sick of Kai and Jenna. All this angst, jeez. If they have a genuine connection, then fuck the show and be together! If they're just upset because they aren't the show's "perfect match" and they don't wanna lose the million dollars, then be together and just pick other people at the truth booth or beam ceremony and hope for the best. I feel like these kids are letting the show rules dictate their feelings. Is there some rule that says that they have to BE with their match even if they like someone else?

Jonathan's behavior is pretty typical of standard dating hypocrisy. If someone you're not attracted to won't stop pursuing you, it's "They're pressuring me and making me uncomfortable! Why won't they just respect that they're not my type?" But then as soon as you are the one attracted to someone who obviously isn't into you, it's "They're leading me on! Why can't they see I'm what's best for them?!"

Clearly Jenna and Kai didn't watch last season when everyone sat with their perfect match at the final ceremony and then went back to the house and celebrated by having sex with whoever they'd been dating the whole time LOL. I think Jenna was just using the algorithm as an excuse to break up because she knows that they aren't good for each other and won't last, but Kai's very dramatic resistance gets her motor running and is sucking her back in.

• Love 4
On 7/4/2019 at 11:39 AM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

On that note, I felt bad for Basit - it's obvious that Jonathan has a lot of issues with internalized homophobia and especially disgust with femininity in men, As he went on and on about how he only likes femininity in women and could NEVERRRR be attracted to a feminine masculine person. Only BIG BEEFY BRAWNY BEEFCAKES for him! Which is ironic because Basit is actually very fit and muscular, but Jonathan can't deal with Basit wearing skirts and eyeshadow. Basit was right to call out Jonathan for basically suggesting that he should be with Danny because they're both effeminate. At the same time, Basit picking Jonathan at the match ceremony was stupid. Dealing with dating biases sucks, but you can't guilt trip or lecture or bully someone into being attracted to you, and you should respect yourself enough to know that you deserve better than constantly trying to convince someone to see you that way.

But isn't it ok that Basit isn't Jonathan's type?  I don't think people have to go around feeling bad about themselves because they aren't attracted to certain people. 

• Love 2