Type keyword(s) to search

Unstable - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

1068001257-unstable-rob-lowe-john-owen-p

Unstable is an 8 episode Comedy TV Series streaming on Netflix on March 30, 2023.       

Ellis Dragon is a universally admired, eccentric, narcissist-adjacent biotech entrepreneur working to make the world a better place. He's also in emotional free-fall. His son Jackson Dragon is… none of those things. Can Jackson save Ellis and his company and salvage their estranged relationship while also doing what may actually be impossible: escaping the shadow of his larger-than-life father?

They’ll figure it out, maybe.

Rob Lowe as Ellis Dragon  

UNSTABLE_101_Unit_02647RC-1024x681.jpg

John Owen Lowe as Jackson Dragon 

UNSTABLE_101_Unit_03082RC-1024x681.jpg

Fred Armisen as Leslie, Ellis’ board-appointed therapist who is desperate to be liked.

Sian Clifford as Anna Bennett, the Chief Financial Officer of the company run by Ellis Dragon, who has been with him since its founding. Strong, smart, opinionated, and one hundred percent loyal to her boss, Anna is one of the only people in Ellis’s life who can go toe-to-toe with him.

Unstable_S1_E6_00_04_35_07R-1024x576.jpg

Aaron Branch as Malcolm Drummond, longtime childhood friend of Jackson Dragon. He’s the project manager for the game-changing venture the company has been working on. An extrovert who is actually insecure since he’s a non-scientist in a world of scientific geniuses.

Unstable_S1_E4_00_06_05_13R-1024x576.jpg

Emma Ferreira as Ruby Rosario, a biotech genius (let’s just stipulate everyone who works here is a friggin’ genius). Ruby is outgoing, friendly, and accessible… the opposite of Luna.

Unstable_S1_E1_00_14_16_00R-1024x576.jpg

Rachel Marsh as Luna Castillo, a genius biotech engineer who works in the lab with her friend and research partner Ruby (Ferreira). Shy and awkward, Luna is happy to let her more outgoing partner do the talking for the two of them.

Tom Allen as TJ, brother of Chaz not very bright, the brothers only have each other and are adversaries to Ellis. They got their board position because their rich father helped fund Ellis’s company.

JT Parr as Chaz, brother of TJ not very bright, the brothers only have each other and are adversaries to Ellis. They got their board position because their rich father helped fund Ellis’s company.

• Like 2

Unstable      March 30, 2023       Netflix             

Episodes 1-8      Titles and Descriptions 

Spoiler

S01.E01: Unstable 
Reeling from a tragedy, Ellis struggles to focus at work as a major project looms, forcing Anna to reach out to Ellis' son Jackson for help.

S01.E02: Engaged, Focused and Ridiculously Sane 
After an odd discovery in Ellis' basement, Jackson stays longer in LA and sets boundaries with his dad — which inspires Ellis to stand up to the board.

S01.E03: The Wizard of Odd 
Determined to change the narrative of his life and business, Ellis invites a reporter to shadow him, while Anna tries to make things seem normal at work.

S01.E04: Pilgrims and Sex Parties 
Facing fallout from the Time cover, Ellis fears getting ousted and receives support from an old pal, while Anna uncovers intel to keep the twins at bay.

S01.E05: Beautiful Birthday Bastards 
When the twins threaten to press charges, Anna and Ellis plan a birthday surprise. Jackson and the Red Lab crew head to the bar, where feelings emerge.

S01.E06: The Ballad of Eduardo 
A call from an old professor puts Jackson in a tough spot. The Red Lab crew faces hard truths. Ellis sets his sights on new heights at his side job.

S01.E07: Roasting For Beginners
Ellis and Jackson spend the day doing landscaping work until the father - son bonding time turns into a roast. At the house, Leslie wears out his welcome.

S01.E08: A Dragon’s Fire
An emergency board meeting puts Ellis' job on the line. A shocking discovery forces Jackson to step up to save the company — and his dad — from disaster.

Just started watching this. It is very funny. There are a lot of lines that get tossed around and they are very funny. Got to pay attention.

I love Rob Lowe in everything he does, but his son is the star of this show.

• Like 7

still without spoilers. There is a decent story here. Rob Lowe has a bunch of energy and his character is likable who is a bit new agey and a bit odd. His son, John is so good. His character is real in that he is a really natually funny, a bit of a nerd, good looking but awkward but with really good self awareness.

There is good chemistry in the show. Not a lot of unlikeable characters on the show. Much to my relief.

• Like 5

My love for Rob Lowe continues, this is just charming and funny and the interplay between him and the son is great. I don’t know if his son has acted before but he’s a natural. Every character is just dead pan funny. I’m trying not to bing all of these at once. Well done Netflix!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
On 3/30/2023 at 10:26 PM, juno said:

I love Rob Lowe in everything he does, but his son is the star of this show.

I'm most amused by Anna. She brings a really dry, British tone to the show, which I love. I thought this was going to be a kind of silly, standard sitcom-y vanity project for the Lowes, but it's clever and quirky. I was pleasantly surprised!

• Like 8

I loved the “Better Off Ted” vibe (a criminally overlooked and short lived show)…then I found out that one of the creators of BOT is involved. 

It is delightful and charming and exactly what I wanted it to be. Excellent cast chemistry and sharp writing really makes it work!

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Insert Username said:

I loved the “Better Off Ted” vibe (a criminally overlooked and short lived show)…then I found out that one of the creators of BOT is involved. 

It is delightful and charming and exactly what I wanted it to be. Excellent cast chemistry and sharp writing really makes it work!

Great comparison. BTW still waiting for season 2 of BOT. The writing is very good. I can even handle Fred Armisen (small doses).

On 4/2/2023 at 1:54 AM, Insert Username said:

5 minutes in I thought 'this reminds me of Better Off Ted' - so glad I wasn't the only one! Rob Lowe is really good at comedy/dramedy. I'm still sad 'Wild Bill' did not get a season 2 but dude's in demand.

• Like 1

Loving the show like all of you. It’s hard to find a show nowadays that’s not filled with unlikable characters, but this show manages to make everyone enjoyable to watch with some great dialogue. The son is clearly the star, but all of Ellis’ staff are wonderful. 

• Like 4

I am surprised that John Owen Lowe is a nepo baby with actual talent! If you listen to podcast’s, Rob Lowe’s “Literally” is pretty enjoyable. I love hearing about various creative processes and he has an interesting lineup of interviewees. Rob has worked in Hollywood forever, knows everyone, and is charmingly open about his name dropping and narcissism. I also like how respectfully he always speaks about his wife and how they raised their boys in Santa Barbara.

• Like 3

I have been a fan of Rob Lowe since a teen and had his posters up on the wall (amongst many others 😉)! I was starting to get really annoyed with him due to the 911 Lone Star show and his character but I'm relieved to have another show where I continue to find him adorkable. The first episode I wasn't sold on John Owen but I warmed up to him and find him talented. 

I also love Rob's podcast and his Parks & Rec one as well, though that one hasn't had new episodes in a while so maybe it is cancelled. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, AheadofStraight said:

but I'm relieved to have another show where I continue to find him adorkable.

Adorkable is a great word for Lowe in this show.  I feel the same way about Nathan Fillion, and stopped watching The Rookie when the adorkable all but disappeared.  If someone put Lowe and Fillion together in a show like this, I'd be thrilled!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 4/1/2023 at 6:01 AM, sadie said:

My love for Rob Lowe continues, this is just charming and funny and the interplay between him and the son is great. I don’t know if his son has acted before but he’s a natural. Every character is just dead pan funny. I’m trying not to bing all of these at once. Well done Netflix!

John Owen has acted in shows starring Rob Lowe.  I first saw him in The Grinder which I think was his first acting job.  He also wrote episodes for 9-1-1: Lone Star.  John Owen is the nepo baby to end all nepo babies.  Almost all of his credits on IMDb involve his father in some way. 

He's good and has good comedic timing but it just has to be acknowledged.  I think he does. 

• Like 2
On 4/1/2023 at 6:00 PM, juno said:

Great comparison. BTW still waiting for season 2 of BOT. The writing is very good. I can even handle Fred Armisen (small doses).

The interplay between Ruby and Luna in the lab reminded me of Phil and Lem from Better Off Ted - one of my all time favorite sitcoms.  Now I know why.

• Like 6
57 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

Every single actor on this show has chemistry. Loved Jack speaking Spanish with the crew and his dad had no idea he'd worked a summer in landscaping. LOL

That is so true. It was so smooth, and the reason was amazing chemistry. I hope it survives. I don't have the best luck.

• Like 2

Congratulations, graduates.
Until now, you've been surrounded
by people who've cared about you.
Teachers, parents.
Some of you might've even had friends.
But that all ends today because
the real world is ruthlessly indifferent.
No one cares about you
or your suffering.

This is too good. My high school principal actually gave a similar speech at the opening ceremony. Good times 😆

• LOL 1

Didn't know that but it totally tracks. I think Rob Lowe really excels at silly comedic characters, like Chris Traeger on Parks and Rec, and his character on The Grinder. I thought the first episode was just so-so until the big reveal at the end turned the whole thing upside down, and it got better and better from there.

Sian Clifford as Anna is really the standout here for me though. She was so good on Fleabag and she brings the same dry, British wit to this show. The writing is really sharp and snappy, I just love it.

I agree all the characters here are likable, except for Leslie. They could lose him if they get another season IMO.

Shallow note, but Malcolm really needs to do something different with his hair. It's distractingly unattractive.

• Like 3
On 4/15/2023 at 12:13 PM, iMonrey said:

I agree all the characters here are likable, except for Leslie. They could lose him if they get another season IMO.

Shallow note, but Malcolm really needs to do something different with his hair. It's distractingly unattractive.

For me, Fred Armisen is best in small doses.  I liked him the first few episodes, but then got tired of him.  I wish they wrapped him up with the final episode - gave him one of Ellis' other homes with promises to visit, or something like that.  I'm perfectly ok if he doesn't return if/when they get a 2nd season.

Yes on Malcom's hair!  Great way to put it.  Distractingly unattractive.  I like that.  I'm going to use that someday. 

And yes, I love Rob Lowe in charming, silly roles.  Just like Nathan Fillion. 

Edited by chaifan
  • Like 3

The car torching seemed super out-of-character, and I hope Ellis doesn't take a weird dark turn next season. I prefer to see more lovable dorkability. Couldn't they just have shown the all important cement block crumble apart or something if they needed a cliffhanger. 

Rob Lowe is a better actor than I gave him credit for, as I think it's not easy to have such a wacky OTT character but not have him turn into a clown or buffoon.  

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

That was enjoyable - I just wish they has wrapped up Leslie's plot for good.

It's an interesting conundrum - this is a show that would find it's audience over the years, because the quality is there. However, Netflix doesn't like to renew shows which are not huge hits. At the same time, it having just 1 season and Netflix's cancel-happy reputation keeps a lot of people from even giving shows like this a chance - diminishing what the numbers could be. If we got 4-5 seasons of this series and the quality stayed up, I am sure it would breakthrough after a while and be a success. But does Netflix's business model allow that to happen? Probably not.

• Like 1
On 4/6/2023 at 10:09 PM, Irlandesa said:

John Owen has acted in shows starring Rob Lowe.  I first saw him in The Grinder which I think was his first acting job.  He also wrote episodes for 9-1-1: Lone Star.  John Owen is the nepo baby to end all nepo babies.  Almost all of his credits on IMDb involve his father in some way. 

He's good and has good comedic timing but it just has to be acknowledged.  I think he does. 

I pretty much agree. I saw him on the paranormal reality show he did with his father and brother and found him pretty likeable, but we gotta be honest here.

I do think this was a great vehicle to put him in. A light frothy deadpan comedy was a really good use of John Owen. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed this. I never saw it in any of Netflix’s top ten so I’m not sure how confident I’d be in it getting a renewal but I’d be really happy if we got a season two. 

I agree about Anna being the breakout. 

• Like 2
On 4/26/2023 at 1:54 PM, Avabelle said:

I really enjoyed this. I never saw it in any of Netflix’s top ten so I’m not sure how confident I’d be in it getting a renewal but I’d be really happy if we got a season two. 

I agree about Anna being the breakout. 

When it first came out it was top 10 for a few weeks, but never was in first place. It was a short series so maybe that’s why it didn’t get too high.

• Like 1

The Major cast are returning for Unstable Season 2.

Rob Lowe as Ellis Dragon. 
John Owen Lowe as Jackson Dragon.
Fred Armisen as Leslie.
Aaron Branch as Malcolm Drummond.
Emma Ferreira as Ruby Rosario.
Rachel Marsh as Luna Castillo.
Sian Clifford as Anna Bennett. 

New cast members:

Iris Apatow as Georgia, Anna’s irreverent ex-stepdaughter turned unwilling Dragon intern. She copes with office life by stirring up trouble and making Anna’s life more difficult whenever possible.

Lamorne-morris-iris-apatow.jpg

Lamorne Morris as Peter, the charismatic founder of a biotech start-up, Peter’s rising star manages to stoke the already intense rivalry between Ellis and Jackson.

• Like 2