Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Zookeeper

• Start Topic

Peter teams up with Rose for a risky mission at the White House. Elsewhere, a notable agent joins the security detail for the vice president's daughter.

Premiere Date: March 23, 2023       Netflix        

I'm ok with the series overall so far, I'm just not impressed with the acting and hoping it gets better. 

Everybody is so wooden and emotionless, especially Peter.  He's not a very good choice as the lead as far as I'm concerned.  Rose isn't horrible.  The others seem like weak imitations of what politicos are supposed to be.  

And the weirdo playing the assassin Ellen is just SO bad.  I don't know what psycho she's supposed to be channeling, but the incomprehensible sex scene and the random outbursts just seem so pathetic.  

• Like 14

I enjoyed the book; it was a decent airplane read. Why? Because in my head, Peter was somewhat charismatic, with something resembling intelligence happening behind his eyes. 

Big miss on casting the lead, along with a few others.

Overall, it's dull.

• Like 5

I'm enjoying it, however early in episode 1 there was a 'check your brain at the door' that basically tempered my expectations 

After the bombing and Peter says " Thats the guy who did it" and goes chasing bad guy wearing a hoodie- basically NO LEOs anywhere. A terrorist attack on the metro in DC and, at best, limited police, FBI, etc presence. An injured Peter is the only one chasing. IRL that guy, on foot, would've caught in seconds. I thought " OH well, there would be no season if things were realistic 

So I just watch and let the show take me where it wants to go

• Like 8
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, TivoFan said:

Agree! She’s unwatchable.

Count me in too. She’s terrible and the show gives too much airtime to her relationship with the other assassin. Also not sure the Chief of Staff is believable. Otherwise, we’re enjoying the show, trying to ignore that the woods around DC suspiciously look like pine forests in Canada.

• Like 9

Is it the lighting that makes virtually every actor look strange? Or was this cast from a basement filled with worn-out 1960s animatronics from Disneyland?

That crushingly dull character of the psycho assassin who longs for domesticity: it’s a contest whether the screenwriter who created the character or the actress who plays her is worse.

But one genuine laugh: when Psycho Assassin dressed as the hotel maid gets back to her room and rips off the terrible curly black-haired wig…and reveals exactly the same hair style underneath. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 10
7 hours ago, Ursula Parrott said:

But one genuine laugh: when Psycho Assassin dressed as the hotel maid gets back to her room and rips off the terrible curly black-haired wig…and reveals exactly the same hair style underneath. 

I thought it was comedienne Sandra Bernhard. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
On 3/23/2023 at 12:26 AM, AnimeMania said:

Elsewhere, a notable agent joins the security detail for the vice president's daughter.

At this point the returning agent is the only character that seems real. And I am counting unnamed  random people attacking a FBI Agent as they think he is a traitor or the Vice Presidents daughter at a bar.

Since she seems to  be the subject that has responses on this episode the assassin who will kidnap an infant to infiltrate her target isn't anymore out there then the  Chief of Staff using her fool mouth  in front of subordinates far down the food chain from her.

• Like 2

The story is good, but the series is poorly cast. I'm still watching because the story has promise. I just read that it was renewed for season 2, so maybe there will be better acting choices for next season.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 3/23/2023 at 3:26 AM, AnimeMania said:

a notable agent joins the security detail for the vice president's daughter.

It's the President! Quite a comedown since his 24 days, but he may be the best actor on this show so far. 

Agree with everyone about the female psycho assassin, both the acting and the amount of screen time she gets--every time she appears I feel like yelling "Get off my screen!" 

Just hope somebody found the baby in Wisconsin.

• Like 7
(edited)
On 3/31/2023 at 1:43 PM, HollyG said:

The story is good, but the series is poorly cast. I'm still watching because the story has promise. I just read that it was renewed for season 2, so maybe there will be better acting choices for next season.

In a previous thread I wrote about how it's obvious that they saved on money with casting and keeping the locations to Canada. Hong Chau is pretty much the only person in this cast with any serious acting plaudits, although DB Woodside has been in quite a lot of tv shows as well. 

Gabriel Basso was one of those working child actors who never got big (you might remember him from The Big C and Super 8) so it's cool to see him get a big chance like this. He does feel like that average guy you would never really notice so that part works for me.

On 3/26/2023 at 4:19 PM, Kirkydee said:

I'm enjoying it, however early in episode 1 there was a 'check your brain at the door' that basically tempered my expectations 

After the bombing and Peter says " Thats the guy who did it" and goes chasing bad guy wearing a hoodie- basically NO LEOs anywhere. A terrorist attack on the metro in DC and, at best, limited police, FBI, etc presence. An injured Peter is the only one chasing. IRL that guy, on foot, would've caught in seconds. I thought " OH well, there would be no season if things were realistic 

Probably filmed during COVID protocols and limited budget. That was my take.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

The end of this episode perked up a bit. Having said otherwise, I was wavering on continuing with the show up until then.

As per previous posters, the acting is of the reading-from-cue-cards variety and the characterization across the board is all so off. I have lost track of the number of times I thought "X character wouldn't do that. Or shouldn't do that if the writers want us to like them, think they have a brain and not consider them entirely incompetent." Case in point, Peter, maybe wait to CONFIRM that there was spyware on Farr's phone before believing she's not secretly evil? 

Also, Peter, my dude.... there is literally a percentage counter right there on the computer screen in front of you. You can SEE how fast the hard drive copying is going and there is no point in telling Rose to go faster because it's not up to her. You are younger than me and an FBI guy so you should know how these computer things work. 

Oh, and someone needs to wash Farr's mouth out with soap!  

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX
  • Like 1
On 3/26/2023 at 3:19 PM, Kirkydee said:

For me it's the fact that Peter and Rose are driving around in her aunt and uncle's car.  No one thought she might head back to the house to grab their vehicle?  Not to mention the fact that the feds would be doing the type of intensive search of that home that would take days.  It would not have been deserted like that.  And the feds would have found the cabin by searching for property of relatives and known associates both of Rose and her aunt and uncle.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Why are they spending so much time on the assassins? Every time they shift to their personal issues it takes me out of the story. I don't care about either one of them and she is just annoying.

• Like 1
On 4/2/2023 at 6:42 AM, Paloma said:

It's the President! Quite a comedown since his 24 days, but he may be the best actor on this show so far. 

Agree with everyone about the female psycho assassin, both the acting and the amount of screen time she gets--every time she appears I feel like yelling "Get off my screen!" 

Dennis Haysburt played the President in 24 aka the allstate guy. this secret service guy is played by DB Woodside. 

37 minutes ago, lark37 said:

Dennis Haysburt played the President in 24 aka the allstate guy. this secret service guy is played by DB Woodside. 

24 spoiler alert DB Woodside was also a President Palmer during 24's run.

Spoiler

Think of them like Kennedy's except John/Dennis Haysburt was killed in retirement and Bobby/Woodside was killed when he made it to the office.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, lark37 said:
On 4/2/2023 at 7:42 AM, Paloma said:

Expand  

As @Raja said, DB Woodside also played the President in 24, but not until late in the series. He played the Chief of Staff in earlier seasons.

On 3/5/2024 at 11:24 PM, Raja said:

24 spoiler alert DB Woodside was also a President Palmer during 24's run.

Hide contents

Think of them like Kennedy's except John/Dennis Haysburt was killed in retirement and Bobby/Woodside was killed when he made it to the office.

Sorry everyone. I would delete my comment if forum would allow me to. I quit watching 24 after season 3 as I felt it jumped the shark way too many times. I remember DB Woodside from Lucifer.