Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Is Love Really Blind?

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Not the guitar!!! I thought we'd avoided it. I wonder if Chelsea is always going to feel like Kwame's second choice. 

I can't tell yet if Micah is feeling Paul or not after meeting him. It seems like she was going after Kwame and Paul just because other women were into them. A very competitive, mean girl thing to do. 

I hope Marshall and Jackie work out. She's a little intense, but he's also a little crazy -- he was straight up ready to fight Josh in the last (?) episode. And Marshall is cute, but he looks like the love child of Lil Bow Wow and Anthony Mackie (Falcon/Captain America). 

Poor Bliss. She's really pretty and smart. But I also noticed that in conversations, everything she said came off as rehearsed and superficial. It's like she was afraid of being genuine and going deeper with Zack. But I'm not convinced they were a good match, anyway. So it might be for the best.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I think Bliss and Irina are just as bad and Zach would be better off without either of them. I don't like the cattiness that they are showing this season. I have no idea if there has always been this level of cattiness in the past but this season just seems way over the top with it. I don't like that they talk about each other in the pods and are actively trying to sabotage someone's chances with someone else. It just makes the fact that these people or in this for very different reasons than genuinely finding love much more obviously. 

I think Jackie is a hypocrite. I'm not sure what she was expecting when she decided to tell Marshall what she was told privately during another date. She was clearly trying to get a reaction out of him and then she starts crying after because she feels bad that he reacted. Also, Marshall's reaction was a bit of a red flag, I actually think the way the other guy (can't remember his name because he hasn't been featured up till now) handled it was very mature. 

Paul is absolutely adorable. I hope Micah doesn't chew him up and spit him out because I have a feeling there's some bad stuff waiting in the wings with that one. 

I actually think Kwame and Chelsea seem like they would be a great fit. They both seem like mature and thoughtful people who would give this a real shot. 

• Like 8

Why did both Paul and Kwame totally fall for Micah? I saw absolutely nothing in their interactions that showed any connection, or any personality at all. Maybe it's because her whole mean girl vibe with Irina turned me off to her completely, but I didn't see anything there. I still don't.

• Like 13
On 3/25/2023 at 7:15 PM, sadtvjunkie said:

Marshall looked like a young Will Smith to me.

For me he's like a Jesse Williams type, big compliment from me.  I don't really see or get the Will Smith thing.

On 3/25/2023 at 7:59 PM, nomodrama said:

I think Jackie is a hypocrite. I'm not sure what she was expecting when she decided to tell Marshall what she was told privately during another date. She was clearly trying to get a reaction out of him and then she starts crying after because she feels bad that he reacted. 

She was so cocky, like, I want these men to fight over me!  And then as soon as they did she started crying. 🙄

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

Bliss broke the cardinal rule of reality dating shows! You don’t talk shit about the other girls no matter how well deserved because it always comes back to bite you in the ass! Lole

She really thought that was going to work out well for her, but there's just no way it ever does.

• Like 4
On 3/25/2023 at 11:59 PM, nomodrama said:

I actually think Kwame and Chelsea seem like they would be a great fit. They both seem like mature and thoughtful people who would give this a real shot. 

Chelsea is the best all-rounder of all the women. I think the footage of Kwame and Micah is to stir up drama for the show, and I hope it's only because he feels some pressure to give the producers what they want, but doesn't actually feel that way.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:46 AM, jackjill89 said:

Why did both Paul and Kwame totally fall for Micah? I saw absolutely nothing in their interactions that showed any connection, or any personality at all. Maybe it's because her whole mean girl vibe with Irina turned me off to her completely, but I didn't see anything there. I still don't.

Mean girls are masters at private conversation and manipulation. Also I think they picked up that she is attractive while blind, so  lame jokes suddenly seem funny and boring stories seem exciting.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, William2021 said:

Mean girls are masters at private conversation and manipulation. Also I think they picked up that she is attractive while blind, so  lame jokes suddenly seem funny and boring stories seem exciting.

Is she though? Micah isn't ugly to me, but she's very basic. Blond-blond hair and plumped up lips. Clarification: to me, she's very basic. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But you mentioned voice-- her voice doesn't even sound pretty to me. From what we saw on the show, she didn't sound smart or emotionally mature in the pods. 

• Like 12
41 minutes ago, topanga said:

Is she though? Micah isn't ugly to me, but she's very basic. Blond-blond hair and plumped up lips. Clarification: to me, she's very basic. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But you mentioned voice-- her voice doesn't even sound pretty to me. From what we saw on the show, she didn't sound smart or emotionally mature in the pods. 

She does have blow up doll vibes (is that what you mean by basic?), but yes she's very attractive. On a superficial level I think she's the most physically attractive out of all the girls.

Her voice isn't pretty on its own, but it's the type that would indicate it's coming out of the mouth of a physically attractive woman.

Edited by William2021
  • Like 2
On 3/28/2023 at 8:35 AM, topanga said:

ITA. Completely basic. I picture her in fall running around in her jeans, off-white sweater, knee-high boots and hat, drinking a pumpkin spice latte and putting pix on the 'gram with her besties... who all look alike. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

LOL at everybody trying to figure out who Marshall looks like.  I was trying to figure it out... I went with a cross between Will Smith and Jesse Williams.  But I like the cross between Bow Wow and Will Smith better.

But that is most  get from Marshall.  He and Jackie are like filler for me.  They are like a more melanated version of Kenny and Kelly.  They are giving me nothing, tbh.

I wish I liked Kwame better.  He seems like he could be fun... but I am still getting some uneasy vibes.  I mean the man was sobbing over Micah!  I still feel like Chelsea is his second choice.  He's happy because she is really pretty.  And I like her a lot.  She's probably my second fave after Tiffany. I am happy for her because she seemed thrilled. 

So Zack chose Irina over Bliss...  hmmm.  I can't stand Irina so I think he made a bad choice and Bliss was not wrong.  But yeah I agree she should have kept that to herself. Actually I think this group talked about the 'other' person way too much in general.

• Like 5
On 3/27/2023 at 10:39 PM, HerkyJerky said:

Bliss broke the cardinal rule of reality dating shows! You don’t talk shit about the other girls no matter how well deserved because it always comes back to bite you in the ass! Lol

Yeah but I don't think that's what did her in with Zach.  Given how Zach grew up, I suspect he connected to the scrappiness/unpolishedness he sensed in Irina.  She said she was street smart and even though Zach is educated, he'd probably consider himself more street smart too.  There's no other reason I can think of that he'd decide a woman he called vicious is the one he trusted the most.

5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I still feel like Chelsea is his second choice.  He's happy because she is really pretty.  And I like her a lot.  She's probably my second fave after Tiffany. I am happy for her because she seemed thrilled.

I loved the moment in the last episide when Irina said something about wanting to be better or nicer and Chelsea straight up asks her, so why don't you? No faux sympathy just real talk that if you really wanted to be better, you'd make that choice.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 3/28/2023 at 9:14 AM, William2021 said:

She does have blow up doll vibes (is that what you mean by basic?), but yes she's very attractive. On a superficial level I think she's the most physically attractive out of all the girls.

Her voice isn't pretty on its own, but it's the type that would indicate it's coming out of the mouth of a physically attractive woman.

Definitely a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" situation because I find Micah very unattractive.  Like, I straight up gasped when I saw that she was only 25 because I thought she was about ten years older.  Overall, I've found the participants this season to be very underwhelming in  the looks department compared to other seasons.  When I told my husband this, he came in to see what I was talking about and thought I was being a little harsh until Micah came on screen and then went "Ooh, yeah, that's rough".  LOL.

I wish Netflix had kept it, I don't know, more high brow with this show because the pods are by far the most interesting part and if they just concentrated on that and people connecting with one another (instead of the stupid, typical reality show it becomes the second they leave the pods), it would be such a fascinating character study.  Case in point, Zach, who's got so many issues from his bad childhood and stripper mom that he tests every women he interacts with by telling them he's a stripper to gage their reactions and then, even though he's clawed out a better life for himself, he's still drawn to terrible people like Irina, probably because there's a comforting familiarity about her awfulness (also, has Irina mentioned what business it is she owns?  Because I kinda feel it's probably an onlyfans account...).

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Like 7
(edited)
On 4/4/2023 at 3:50 AM, Snapdragon said:

I wish Netflix had kept it, I don't know, more high brow with this show because the pods are by far the most interesting part and if they just concentrated on that and people connecting with one another (instead of the stupid, typical reality show it becomes the second they leave the pods), it would be such a fascinating character study.  Case in point, Zach, who's got so many issues from his bad childhood and stripper mom that he tests every women he interacts with by telling them he's a stripper to gage their reactions and then, even though he's clawed out a better life for himself, he's still drawn to terrible people like Irina, probably because there's a comforting familiarity about her awfulness (also, has Irina mentioned what business it is she owns?  Because I kinda feel it's probably an onlyfans account...).

Haha at the onlyfans :)

I think high brow dating shows unfortunately don't get as many views and are probably too hard to make.

Who's to tell that Zach had a bad childhood and isn't exaggerating it? It's possible that his stripper mom kept work at work, maybe only worked as a stripper for a few years and not his whole upbringing, which I find hard to believe. Today it seems so many people love painting themselves as a victim, or use some flaws in their upbringing to give the perception of having character.

On 4/4/2023 at 4:32 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think the men are pretty good looking - Marshall, Paul, Brett.

I've noticed that in all the seasons of LIB the men are generally more attractive than the women, not to mention being better dressed. I guess is it's because the show is geared towards female viewers.

Edited by William2021
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, William2021 said:

Who's to tell that Zach had a bad childhood and isn't exaggerating it? It's possible that his stripper mom kept work at work, maybe only worked as a stripper for a few years and not his whole upbringing, which I find hard to believe. Today it seems so many people love painting themselves as a victim, or use some flaws in their upbringing to give the perception of having character.

I thought the exact same thing!

(edited)
On 3/25/2023 at 6:59 PM, nomodrama said:

I don't like that they talk about each other in the pods and are actively trying to sabotage someone's chances with someone else.

Yeah when Irina made sure to tell Zack that Bliss was much older than her I was hoping that Bliss might ask him if he is attracted to bigger women.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • LOL 4
On 4/3/2023 at 10:50 PM, Snapdragon said:

Definitely a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" situation because I find Micah very unattractive.  Like, I straight up gasped when I saw that she was only 25 because I thought she was about ten years older.  Overall, I've found the participants this season to be very underwhelming in  the looks department compared to other seasons.  When I told my husband this, he came in to see what I was talking about and thought I was being a little harsh until Micah came on screen and then went "Ooh, yeah, that's rough".  LOL.

Yep. Blonde and a small size will take you pretty far - often people don’t look much closer if someone has those things - but I don’t think she’s particularly pretty. She’s 25 - she should have, like, a dewy youthful glow, and she … doesn’t. She kind of hard-looking and she’s going to have jowls when she gets to be a certain age - you can already see it.

Everything Jackie said about Marshall (I agree with the Jesse Williams comparisons - to me he looks like he could be Jesse’s little brother) was about what he did for her. Nothing about him as a person - not “I love his sense of humor” or “He’s so kind.” Just “he can handle me.” I hate when people do that. I did crack up when she was talking about halitosis.

• Like 3
On 4/3/2023 at 10:50 PM, Snapdragon said:

I wish Netflix had kept it, I don't know, more high brow with this show because the pods are by far the most interesting part and if they just concentrated on that and people connecting with one another (instead of the stupid, typical reality show it becomes the second they leave the pods), it would be such a fascinating character study.  Case in point, Zach, who's got so many issues from his bad childhood and stripper mom that he tests every women he interacts with by telling them he's a stripper to gage their reactions and then, even though he's clawed out a better life for himself, he's still drawn to terrible people like Irina, probably because there's a comforting familiarity about her awfulness

I agree with this.  I wish, and have for ages, that they showed more of what happens in the pods.  I would happily give up the bonding in the women's quarters/men's quarters or the "romantic" dates they go on during the Honeymoon phase or the group parties someone *cough* production *cough* comes up with to create drama.  Or hell, stick in an extra episode.  You already have all the footage.

Regards Zack -- I don't judge him that harshly wrt to Irina.  We know Irina was an evil hose beast, but Zack may have gotten a very different side of her.  And of course the show is going to play up the bits that furthers the storyline they've crafted for that couple. But this goes back to them showing more about the what they talked about int he pods.  They should have shown more quality stuff b/t Zach and Irina to really illustrate why he was so drawn to her.  Same with Kwame and Micah.  I mean Kwame was crying ugly tears over losing her.  Both she and Irina just came off as rather vapid and mean to us, but there had to be something there for these guys to be so turnt.  And in the case of Micah it was both Kwame and Paul.

• Like 2

Guess Bliss lost when she said him picking Irina shows poor judgement. Irina manipulated by saying she packed her bags & was ready to leave. He really wants a mean girl? That does reflect poorly on judgement. Another HORRIBLE singer. YIKES!!!!!!!

From the preview/soundbite from the 1st episode, I'm guessing Zack is the one who says he made a mistake. As he should. It really was a toss up between Paul & Zack saying that, but I don't recall an accent in the soundbite. The two guys that got mean girls! So funny!