Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Second Chances and Past Regrets

• Start Topic

Dr. Shaun Murphy must learn how to work with Dr. Jared Kalu again and remind him that he must start all over at St. Bonaventure; Dr. Murphy treats a teenager suffering from neurological problems with a very high-risk procedure.

Original airdate 3/20/23

• Like 1

Ooh. Well. That ending sounded ominous :(.

Interesting storyline with Asher and Jerome this episode. I can sympathize with how tough it would be for someone to open up about being HIV-positive, and how isolating that admission would be as well. I don't doubt that would be a very difficult topic to broach even under the best of circumstances.

But Asher's anger was justified, 'cause, uh, yeah, that's not exactly an insignificant detail for someone to learn about their partner. Jerome should've told him a long time ago. I wonder if this storyline will show up again somehow down the line.

On a lighter note, Asher interacting with the little boy this episode was cute :). He's really good with kids.

I also liked seeing Jared and Jordan interacting this episode, and Shaun and Jared's struggle to find that "professional versus personal" balance was good, too.

Now to wait two weeks to find out what the hell's going on with Glassman.

• Like 4

I'll confess that I wasn't aware that there is version of HIV-positive that isn't transmittable, so for a second I thought Jerome truly committed something completely unforgivable by risking Asher's health.  Glad that wasn't the case, but I can understand Asher's frustration over being kept in the dark for as long as he was.  I can also understand Jerome's initial hesitation as well, but I do think once they had clearly gone past simply dating casually and were going to be serious, he should have been forthcoming.  Hopefully he is sincere with his apology and he won't do anything like that again.

As I expected, Jared's return to St. Bonaventure wasn't a smooth one as his "I'm only a first year resident by name but I'm truly a third year, dammit!" attitude not only annoyed his fellow residents (who technically have seniority), but caused Shaun to struggle with separating his friendship with Jared and his professional relationship/being his boss, and naturally almost going too far at being the "tough boss" (granted, Andrews probably really didn't help things by freaking Shaun out.)  I did like that it was Glassman who reminded Shaun that he was the one who use to butt heads with his superiors and would occasionally step out of line, but they knew when to pull him back and when to let him try it and learn (and sometimes succeed.)

Both of the cases were solid, even though there was never any doubt that both would end up with happy endings.  Trying to place the actress who played the grandmother for Park's patient because she is definitely someone I've seen in a ton of stuff.

Enjoyed Jordan razzing Jared a bit, although I did laugh at her "I'm usually always right!" remark since it was only about two episodes ago where she was dead wrong about a case.

So, now they're hinting about Glassman possibly going into remission or something?  I guess it wouldn't be a season of The Good Doctor is one of the regulars didn't have a health scare every few episodes!

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Both of the cases were solid, even though there was never any doubt that both would end up with happy endings.  Trying to place the actress who played the grandmother for Park's patient because she is definitely someone I've seen in a ton of stuff.

Ha!  I came here after checking IMDB to see who the actor is because she was also very familiar to me but naturally I couldn't place her!  IMDB doesn't have her or the daughter and grand-daughter up yet, but hopefully they will soon.

• Like 3

As Lim said, when your viral load is undetectable, you can't transmit HIV. With the current treatment protocols, that is a common situation, and Asher ought to have known that. Besides that Jerome was undetectable, they were also using protection AND Asher was on PReP. This means there was no risk to Asher whatsoever. So I don't think Jerome was doing anything unethical.

I'm a compulsive discloser, so I would have disclosed if it had been me, and I would have wanted someone else to disclose to me, but I don't think Jerome was actually being reckless or unethical. I think Asher had more of a case for freaking out over how it meant Jerome didn't trust him, and at the level of relationship they're at, that is concerning-- and he also might wonder what else was not being shared. But I thought he took that too far and didn't handle it well at all--he projected a lot of his own insecurities onto Jerome, just like Jerome did onto him. Basically, they were both triggered-- Asher by his HiV panic and Jerome by past rejections. But Asher should know better-- he's a doctor, he surely knows about HiV and that Jerome didn't actually put him at risk. And he should also understand how much prejudice and discrimination people with HiV experience and how hard that is. So Asher isn't blameless here, either.  I think they both made mistakes. But I was glad they worked it out in the end.

Lkewise, I think both Shaun and Jared made mistakes, but I'm glad they worked those out.

And it seemed like that was the theme of the episode, wth the patients, too. In both families, everybody cared but they were all traumatized and having trouble letting go of things that had happened, which was clouding their ability to deal with what was happening in the present.

Glassman messing up the sutures was a gut punch. 

Lea seemed happy and relaxed this week. But they say she's at 36 weeks, so certainly the birth will be the next drama, along with whatever Glassman's problem is.

Edited by possibilities
typos
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I can see the reasoning why Jared was dropped to first year.  He was a personal physician to 1 person (and extent to his team).  He wasn't coming up to regular surgeries and procedures at a hospital.  That's why his short cuts wouldn't work at St. Bons. But I am glad also that Glassman did remind Shaun that he wasn't given a fair shake to his ideas.
Andrews is still very harsh to Jared, more so than Daniel and he was using.

Jerome should have told Asher early on his prognosis.  I too didn't know that you can have HIV but due to drugs you cannot pass it on.  But Asher should have as a doctor and a gay man.  How far we have come since the disease was first detected in the 80s! 

Darn. 2 weeks till new episode.

• Like 5

I’ve heard about those HIV meds that prevent transmission in tv commercials, but I would still be extremely upset if someone that I was in a serious relationship with failed to tell me about their status.  For me, it would probably be a deal breaker.  It looks like they have patched things up.  I thought that hashing out their personal problems at work with their supervisors bizarre. Lol Good tv, I guess.

I had to struggle to see how Jared was relating to the teen girl’s condition.  What was his reason for being ridiculed? Braces?  Idk.  I didn’t buy it. Glad it brought her relief, though.  

Shaun showed significant growth in his maturity and supervision abilities, with guidance from Glassman.  Wouldn’t Glassman be getting regular scans?

• Like 6

I haven't watched the episode yet so maybe it was explained (I doubt it)

Jared dropped off as a resident and went on to being a concierge doctor? Is this even allowed? And who would hire a concierge doctor that is still a resident? He has no real experience, he probably did little more than play doctor with some person, or a few people.

HIV treatment has evolved so much that I believe - not sure tough - that they changed whatever classification they give to diagnosis based on the general prognosis of a disease. My simplistic explanation is that having HIV is like having diabetes. It doesn't mean you will get so sick that you will die, as long as you keep up with treatments and make changes/be careful with your life style (protected sex in the case of HIV, food in the case of diabetes.) I heard that from some scientists but it was just a comment in a discussion about something else

We don't know much about the relationship between Asher and Jared so it is hard to make a judgement based on one event. Those little secrets, or undisclosed information can be very nuanced. Maybe they were taking it slow, having the fun part down but not yet so confident in the longevity of the relationship. So Jared was waiting to see where the relationship was going. Maybe they were already there, in the "tell me everything, trust me" phase. Then it was shitty for Jared to not tell Asher. It is hard and it is not black and white. Things like this are not really planned, they come up organically, as the relationship evolves. Since this plot is not near the main plots in the show, there is not way to "take sides"

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, circumvent said:

Jared dropped off as a resident and went on to being a concierge doctor? Is this even allowed? And who would hire a concierge doctor that is still a resident? He has no real experience, he probably did little more than play doctor with some person, or a few people.

That's my take on it as well as he was at the right place at the right time and saved the rich guy's life. Rich guy was grateful and hired him as his personal concierge doctor. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'll confess that I wasn't aware that there is version of HIV-positive that isn't transmittable

They’ve been advertising the meds that make it so (undetectable) on TV for quite a while now. I remember thinking something along the lines of the story we saw in this episode, as the actors in the ad continued to say, “It’s completely undetectable, I’m clear!”

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, circumvent said:

HIV treatment has evolved so much that I believe - not sure tough - that they changed whatever classification they give to diagnosis based on the general prognosis of a disease. My simplistic explanation is that having HIV is like having diabetes. It doesn't mean you will get so sick that you will die, as long as you keep up with treatments and make changes/be careful with your life style (protected sex in the case of HIV, food in the case of diabetes.) I heard that from some scientists but it was just a comment in a discussion about something else

We don't know much about the relationship between Asher and Jared so it is hard to make a judgement based on one event. Those little secrets, or undisclosed information can be very nuanced. Maybe they were taking it slow, having the fun part down but not yet so confident in the longevity of the relationship. So Jared was waiting to see where the relationship was going. Maybe they were already there, in the "tell me everything, trust me" phase. Then it was shitty for Jared to not tell Asher. It is hard and it is not black and white. Things like this are not really planned, they come up organically, as the relationship evolves. Since this plot is not near the main plots in the show, there is not way to "take sides"

You might want to change the name in your last paragraph-to the other J name, Jerome! I’m sure you were still bothering over Kulu’s refusal to show any gratitude and humility. I thought Jordan did a good job setting him straight, as well. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Daff said:

You might want to change the name in your last paragraph-to the other J name, Jerome! I’m sure you were still bothering over Kulu’s refusal to show any gratitude and humility. I thought Jordan did a good job setting him straight, as well. 

I haven't watched the episode yet so nothing to be bothered by - for now. Don't really know the names of the characters other than the main ones. So Jerome, not Jared. 

14 hours ago, Leeds said:

IMDB doesn't have her or the daughter and grand-daughter up yet

Don't know about the grandmother or granddaughter but the mother/daughter was in "Never Have I Ever". (GREAT SHOW!)

• Useful 1

What did I miss? Did the girl had Tourette's or it was just a symptom of the tumor? I was half watching and all of a sudden she is cured.

If it is that latter, I don't like when they do this. Someone has a disability that should be accepted but they find a miracle cure because "look! it wasn't a disability at all, it was just a symptom. Oof! we dodged that tragedy! Now they can have a normal life"

Jared is meh

• Useful 1
48 minutes ago, circumvent said:

What did I miss? Did the girl had Tourette's or it was just a symptom of the tumor? I was half watching and all of a sudden she is cured.

If it is that latter, I don't like when they do this. Someone has a disability that should be accepted but they find a miracle cure because "look! it wasn't a disability at all, it was just a symptom. Oof! we dodged that tragedy! Now they can have a normal life"

Jared is meh

It wasn't Tourette, it was ministrokes caused by the tumor.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Jim Marlowe said:

It wasn't Tourette, it was ministrokes caused by the tumor.

The type of thing I cant stand, as I pointed out in the other comment

The not spoken message is that since it is not a disability, she will now be accepted as a whole human being, the bullying will stop. so much wring with those plots

Edited by circumvent
  • Like 2
On 3/21/2023 at 5:52 AM, Annber03 said:

But Asher's anger was justified, 'cause, uh, yeah, that's not exactly an insignificant detail for someone to learn about their partner. Jerome should've told him a long time ago. I wonder if this storyline will show up again somehow down the line.

So at what point exactly do you have to disclose private medical information? One month? 6 months? 12 months? Is there a guide book somewhere?

On 3/21/2023 at 6:53 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I'll confess that I wasn't aware that there is version of HIV-positive that isn't transmittable

The version is called "taking your medication once a day" and has been for over a decade. At that point the virus isn't in your blood or other fluids anymore and you can't infect other people (with a confirmed undetectable viral load, of course). With most other diseases you'd be cured, but HIV is a bit of an asshole, hides in immune cells and will resurface if you stop taking your medication.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I am of the opinion that Asher should've been told about the HIV - doesn't matter if the viral load is undetectable, you tell a partner about that before you have sex.

Also, circumvent, I agree - I hate when it is like "see, it wasn't x - you just need surgery and you're cured!!!"

• Like 1
  • Useful 1