Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Abishola must reconcile a decade-old wound when she’s forced to attend the funeral of an unlikable aunt. Also, Bob struggles at the factory with the first batch of socks before receiving support from an unlikely source.

Airdate: 03/20/23

Does anyone know if the color purple has significance in Abishola’s culture?  It seemed like many, but not all, of the women had purple hats/head coverings at the final service (the scene outside the church).  

That green/black/gold dress of Abishola's was stunning! I also really lked Kemi's hat on the first day of the funeral. Really, all the clothes were great, but those two things struck me as particularly awesome.

I like Ebun so much more in the past few episodes. They've mellowed her a lot. I liked seeing her and Bob getting along. I also liked that Dottie wasn't flummoxed by the family tree.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

Does anyone know if the color purple has significance in Abishola’s culture?  It seemed like many, but not all, of the women had purple hats/head coverings at the final service (the scene outside the church).  

Don't know about the significance of purple, but I noticed the more immediate family of the deceased all wore white at one point.

• Like 1

The funeral procession was fun to watch but not realistic. 

I love that they were saying 'Canada' like it's just one big area and not a specific city.  I wonder if the aunt lived in Windsor since it boarders Michigan and is close to Detroit. I think it's like a 5 min drive. 

They did miss an opportunity for closure with Abishola and the aunt.  It would have been better if the cousin Yinka overheard her conversation Abishola was having at the casket and told her that her aunt regretted treating her that way and was hard on her for <insert reason> instead of Kemi.

Bob and Ebun at the sock factory was great as well.

No Christina in a janitor's outfit and picking up trash is a WIN.

Kofo is a terrible marketing guy. Doesnt he know that most IG lives are just staged situations? 

• Like 3

I think they said it was in Toronto, but I may be just filling in from my imagination.

I liked the episode.  I thought the show had been losing steam recently.  This was a good return to the characters' developing relationships. 

• Like 5

That was a fun episode, for all that it had a funeral in it....  I loved all the funeral finery too.

I had kind of hoped that "Bob's support from an unlikely source" would have been Kofo unexpectedly being an instinctive sock research and development genius.  But instead it comes from Ebun praying for good socks, and good socks resulted.  I did like the softening of their relationship though.  Come to think of it, Ebun has that harsh relationship with her sister and with her daughter, but with the rest of them she's far more cordial. 

Christine Ebersole looked fantastic in her silver chiffon funeral dress.  Good choice!

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

That was a fun episode, for all that it had a funeral in it....  I loved all the funeral finery too.

This episode put the "fun" in "funeral" alright! 😄

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, NoReally said:

I must be dumb, because I still don't get why socks go into an oven.

Thank you!
I just Googled sock oven and then sock oven manufacturing process and got pretty much nothing, although there is a company named Soxy Toes.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, NoReally said:

I must be dumb, because I still don't get why socks go into an oven.

Just a wild guess here, but I think the sock ovens are to shrink the loose knit fibers into a tight knit, so the compression part of the compression sock design works better.  🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, callie lee 29 said:

So according to this site there is an oven involved!

"Step 5: Heating

Each sock is then placed onto a hosiery board (a board which is the shape of a foot and leg) to help the sock retain its shape.

The hosiery boards are then rolled into a Stocking Setting Machine, this is like a big steam oven. Steam is used to heat the socks and the high temperature disinfects and sterilises the socks.

Once the heat is turned off, the socks are left to cool down"

• Useful 10
19 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

"Step 5: Heating

Each sock is then placed onto a hosiery board (a board which is the shape of a foot and leg) to help the sock retain its shape.

The hosiery boards are then rolled into a Stocking Setting Machine, this is like a big steam oven. Steam is used to heat the socks and the high temperature disinfects and sterilises the socks.

Once the heat is turned off, the socks are left to cool down"

Learn something new everyday 

EA7E8AE4-C464-4930-A57C-4E9CE31DD867.jpeg

• Like 4

Yes, I believe that we have had more than our share of "mid-season breaks" recently. The new episode schedules have been choppy; one week it's a new one; the next it's a rerun. It makes it difficult for viewers to be invested in the show and it's characters. At lease, that's what I am feeling. Time to get back to a 23 week new season with reruns during the summer and Christmas week like it used to be. (Yes, that's how old I am, I remember these things.)

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
13 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Yes, I believe that we have had more than our share of "mid-season breaks" recently. The new episode schedules have been choppy; one week it's a new one; the next it's a rerun. It makes it difficult for viewers to be invested in the show and it's characters. At lease, that's what I am feeling. Time to get back to a 23 week new season with reruns during the summer and Christmas week like it used to be. (Yes, that's how old I am, I remember these things.)

Thank you I am old enough to remember that too!  I don't think it's good for ratings to keep interrupting the season either.  I DVR the show but a lot of people watch in real time.  It seems like every year there are more mid season breaks and the breaks get longer too.  I honestly don't know what TV executives are thinking anymore.  I don't think they know what they're doing.  They seem to be on a path of self-destruction, and as usual, we the viewers lose.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

My guide is saying that episode 17 will air on April 10th.  I hate these mid-season breaks.

They already had their "mid-season" break in early December. These are just the usual repeats in late Winter and Spring. That doesn't mean you can't hate the repeats or the scheduling :)

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

This is the Basketball Break. Here (and elsewhere?) CBS is the main basketball channel. 

I was surprised to notice this show tends to air 22 episodes per season. That seems like a lot for these days.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Sigh.  The basketball break seems to go on forever.  Between the unending college championships and the everlasting NBA championships, it feels like months and months out of the regular schedule.  Not everybody cares about basketball.  I mean, I'm not one of those "Ew, sportsball!" people and I get that there is lots of advertising revenue to be made here, but the basketball playoffs go on and on and on and on and on and on.....

It didn't used to matter for sitcoms, because sitcoms used to be stand alone episodes, with occasional callback to happenings in a previous episode.  Most modern sitcoms, though, have story arcs these days, and you lose track of that arc when there are long breaks between episodes.  Dramas run "Previously on...." sequences to catch you up on the story arc, but since sitcoms clock in at something like only 18-20 minutes of actual content these days, taking the time to do that is just not tenable.

So in April, I'll be like "Huh, when did Kofo start working in the other factory?"

• Like 6
34 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I think it is April 3, 2023.     

Nah, like I said, it's April 10th.  The Men's Basketball Tournament Final is airing on the 3rd according to my TV program guide.

• Useful 1