Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Mojitos Mo' Problems

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Kate is annoyed by the new charter guests and their ongoing demands for special attention. Andrew makes a stunning admission to Captain Lee that affects the entire crew. Kelley and Jennice wrestle with their feelings for one another

What'd'ya wanna bet that Andrew mis-represented his previous experience on a charter boat?  Anyone who could screw up the way he has has clearly never been on a boat before - not as a crewman or as a passenger.  Heck, I'd be surprised if he'd ever been to the docks before.

• Love 2

Wasn't much Kelly and Jennice.

Drunk, stupid, needy Kat bugs.

I get Kate not wanting to smile on cue, but she is making guests feel uncomfortable, which can't help the tip. Strange that she became so aggravated suddenly; she was so cool last week.

Andrew had NO experience? I thought he had had some on a friend's boat. Goes yo show that the right appearance opens doors. Bet Jennice's credentials were checked twice before she was hired.

• Love 2

This is my favorite Bravo show! I'm surprised this forum is so quiet! I can't wait to see what happens next week. I guess Andrew will be no more... But, you know how Bravo is.

I'd be angry if Kate was on my crew and not smiling. It's part of the job.

• Love 1

I would hate high-maintenance guests, but hey, that's the job. I was surprised the crew talks so dismissively about the charter guests in their TH's, but I guess the guests get a steep discount on the charter for participating on the show in exchange.

As for Andrew, he should have been fired on the spot the second he admitted he lied on his resume and had no experience. What poor management. Now this crew mutiny and tip distribution drama is Captain Lee's fault (or Eddie's) for allowing him to work this past charter. I'm guessing he's toast.

• Love 2

Kate acted like a bitter, jealous bitch tonight. I think she was jealous that the women snagged the wealthy men that her bitter ass can't, and they are vacationing on a boat that she works on.

Kate saying the women's glory days were "2 decades ago" made me laugh so hard I scared my dog. Whatever their ages, they all looked better and younger than Kate.

She would have made me extremely uncomfortable and I would have complained and written a note with my tip saying she didn't deserve as much as the crew who made the guests comfortable.

It looks like she's the same bitter bitch next week too. And her "how dare you" in the previews is crazy. They are paying guests and she's STAFF. I can't stand her. Bring back Adrienne.

• Love 10

I agree that Kate's attitude came from jealously.  She felt that she should be there enjoying the cruise rather than these surgically altered women.  And I  admit I understand how she felt.  I don't think she would give the men the time of day ( I couldn't even tell you what they looked like) but at the same time, she's angry that those women have what they have...through these men.  I still like her even though she wasn't professional in the situation.

Kelley was totally out of line to give Eddie an ultimatum about what's his name.  Not his place.  I understand Eddie's point of view.  He's trying to make the best of a bad situation but he doesn't need Kelley 'telling' him what he should do.  I doubt Kelley would have said that to Captain Lee and it's Captain Lee's decision, not Eddies's and certainly, not Kelley's. 

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 1

I did like that Eddie and Kelly completely got why Jennice was pissed about Andrew saying things like "bitch work" and being "more of a man." A lot of guys, as Andrew clearly didn't, don't understand how that sort of gendered language is disrespectful and can get super annoying, particularly when working in a male dominated field.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8

Kelley was totally out of line to give Eddie an ultimatum about what's his name.  Not his place.  I understand Eddie's point of view.  He's trying to make the best of a bad situation but he doesn't need Kelley 'telling' him what he should do.  I doubt Kelley would have said that to Captain Lee and it's Captain Lee's decision, not Eddies's and certainly, not Kelley's.

I disagree. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Eddie was on board last season, right? If I'm remembering correctly, he made another bad managerial decision involving another slacker crew member. I think he's too interested in being nice and giving people second chances than in thinking things through and making better decisions from a managerial perspective. Kelley and every other crew member work their asses off, and they have every right to resent a person who slacks off, doesn't know what he's doing, and lied on his reume to get the gig, and then watch him collect the same tip as the rest of them. When you're the boss, you have to think of these things. Eddie doesn't. Nor does Captain Lee. They're both at fault.

• Love 1

Can you elaborate on Eddie's failed managerial decision last season? I only remember Aleks getting bullied into giving Sam her undeserved tip. I don't believe Eddie had this much authority last year.

So far Andrew has actually increased their work load since they have to stop and teach him everything, doubling the time consumption of every task. I doubt he will last long. But the captain really screwed up by not firing him on the spot after doling out the first charter's tip. Andrew picked the perfect time to come clean. There was no way the captain would fire him an hour before charter guests arrive.

• Love 2

How does one learn to work on a yacht? I mean where would Andrew get the experience? Real question. Is there a school for working charters? You have to start somewhere I would think. Now I'm going to have to google to learn all about yachting! Lol

So I called that one.  The captain is a moron.  Sorry, he may be a nice guy and all, but to NOT check the backgrounds and the references of his hires when he is responsible for the safety and well-being of his very-well-paying passengers?  He's a poor manager and his gruff demeanor is a shield against his poor decisions.  His problems are self-inflicted and shouldn't be blamed on the people he hired without checking.  

• Love 3

I am going to have to disagree with so much.

Kate - I get her no smile persona.  I am in management and don't walk around smiling all the time.  I have 800 things to do while doing this 1 task.  Telling  a woman to smile is so sexist.  You noticed they had no problem with the men who NEVER smile.  Back in the day when Rosie was sent back to the home kitchen after WWII and just about when women were dressed in corsets and high heels and stockings.  Telling a woman to "smile" was meant to put her in her place.  Forget your education, your experience and just look pretty.  Oh, and by the way, get all my work done so I can get a big paycheck.  Thanks babe.

Just like the men on the charter who liked their women augmented they wanted their staff stupid too.  Those grown ass women acting like teenagers by dancing on top of the furniture.  Sorry site to see.

You do get trained in boating and sailing.  Me thinks Andrew is a person who is usually a guest on the boat and has never worked before.  Calling his mommy was telling.

Of course this is all scripted so .......................

• Love 10

I was fine with Kate not smiling. She seemed to smile when the guests talked to her, but stopped when they mentioned that she never smiles. They did say Amy smiled too much, so maybe they want a happy medium. Also, Kate might just have resting bitchface, sometimes I do as well.

I did laugh at their version of mojitos. 

I think from watching the last episode it was clear Andrew did not know what he was doing. Now I wasn't aware at to how much he did not know. I think unless he puts forth some major effort, which he hasn't been thus far, he should be booted. Though, at this point I think it might be too little too late.

Those women and their bathing suits. Geez.

• Love 2

I call BS on Andrew fudging his resume. I think he was hired as a plant and the no-experience reveal was completely scripted. I can't believe that any captain or whoever the hell hires yacht crews wouldn't take a close look a resume before pulling the trigger. 

The guests were a party of assholes, but that's probably pretty typical of charter guests with lots of money. I didn't understand why Kate had her bitchface on from the second they boarded the boat. Her job is to wait on them, yet she's all pissy because she doesn't like to make the drinks they wanted? And what was up with her wearing that big ass sweater all the the time? It looked sloppy. Sorry, but no matter how demanding they were, her job was to make them feel comfortable and cracking a smile once in a while is part of it. 

Next week is playboy bunnies and Kate goes into full on bitch mode? Can't wait.

• Love 3

Kate saying the women's glory days were "2 decades ago" made me laugh so hard I scared my dog. Whatever their ages, they all looked better and younger than Kate.

Kate would know first hand about 2 decades old "glory days".  Bitter bitchface can take her "elegance is refinement" trash talk about the people she's well compensated for serving and shove it up her ass.

• Love 1

i'm really enjoying this season of below deck. i watched the first season, but sam and cj (especially sam) were so annoying, it was more reluctant watching. but this season i'm enjoying the cast dynamics a lot more and the show in general.

i also did not have a problem with kate not smiling. i admire amy for being able to smile 24/7 but i couldn't do that and i don't fault kate for not being able to do it. yes she was extra bitter with these guests but she's also a really good worker. and has entertaining talking heads. i can't help but like her.

the guests next week look horrible, i can't wait lol ;)

so it looks like andrew gets fired? is that australian guy from the previews going to be the new crew member?

finally, i'm intrigued with jennice and kelley. they are both cuties and best of all not cj and sam!

• Love 2

This episode is exactly why, if I had that kind of money, I would not charter a boat like that.   Knowing the crew most likely will make fun of you, get pissed off if request a special drink and whine the whole time you are there.  Isn't that part of the outrageous price tag for one of these charters?  A good staff to wait on you and treat you like royalty?  I don't get it.

And I would drink too much and act silly because I am on VACATION!  I would not want to be judged for acting silly by the staff. 

Bittercakes by Kate in my opinion.

• Love 8

This episode is exactly why, if I had that kind of money, I would not charter a boat like that.   Knowing the crew most likely will make fun of you, get pissed off if request a special drink and whine the whole time you are there.  Isn't that part of the outrageous price tag for one of these charters?  A good staff to wait on you and treat you like royalty?  I don't get it.

I do not think it is uncommon to bitch about people or mock them to co-workers and friends. I worked as a waitress in college and we would make fun of demanding, bitchy, or picky people all the time. We just were not on camera. One summer during college I worked at a resort on Mackinac Island, and the same thing. There is always the possibility of becoming fodder to anyone who waits on you for some reason or another.

• Love 5

I do not think it is uncommon to bitch about people or mock them to co-workers and friends. I worked as a waitress in college and we would make fun of demanding, bitchy, or picky people all the time. We just were not on camera. One summer during college I worked at a resort on Mackinac Island, and the same thing. There is always the possibility of becoming fodder to anyone who waits on you for some reason or another.

Anyone who has ever worked with the public has run into this. It's a human, natural reaction so someone that is being offensive. I doubt that if the guest were super nice they would be mocking them. Notice that on the charter with Georgia et. al, other than Ben complaining about their food choices (no fruits or vegetables), no one really  complained or mocked them, mainly because they were really nice. You reap what you sow, to quote an old saying. Just because you pay for something, doesn't mean it's ok to abuse the staff. 

I for one would LOVE to be a guest on a private charter, cruising around the Caribbean on a luxury yacht with a staff who will bring me drinks and cook my meals and make my bed. Where do I sign up. But then again, I am super nice and tip well. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 8

I would think if there's one thing Kelley would have learned in the Marines it would be respect for the chain of command. His "it's him or me" complaints to Eddie about Andy are not acceptable (even if they are understandable). In the business world, those kinds of threats are a sure way to get yourself fired.

I suspect Andrew will not be fired, as he is one of the major story lines of this season. I suspect he will have his share of the take cut by the captain. I wouldn't be surprised to see a redemption story line for Andrew as the season progresses, with his story arc showing greater maturity and, eventually, some measure of respect from the crew. On the other hand, maybe not.

I agree that Kate's attitude came from jealously.  She felt that she should be there enjoying the cruise rather than these surgically altered women.  And I  admit I understand how she felt.  I don't think she would give the men the time of day ( I couldn't even tell you what they looked like) but at the same time, she's angry that those women have what they have...through these men.  I still like her even though she wasn't professional in the situation.

I can see why Kate might be jealous, but those folks were wrong and sexist commenting that she never smiled.  Why are women always supposed to smile?

As for Kate being jealous, well the world is NOT fair; sometimes good men pass over decent women and marry shrews.  However,someone should tell Kate that everything has a price.  Maybe the reason why those women were all so surgically enhanced was because the felt they had to do that in order to keep their husbands from looking for wife 2.0 or 3.0.

Breezy424, I totally think Kate would have given those men the time of day if they had enough money.

I don't think she's mentally to that place yet.  She stills wants the whole package.  In a few more years, maybe.

• Love 1

I disagree. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Eddie was on board last season, right? If I'm remembering correctly, he made another bad managerial decision involving another slacker crew member. I think he's too interested in being nice and giving people second chances than in thinking things through and making better decisions from a managerial perspective. Kelley and every other crew member work their asses off, and they have every right to resent a person who slacks off, doesn't know what he's doing, and lied on his reume to get the gig, and then watch him collect the same tip as the rest of them. When you're the boss, you have to think of these things. Eddie doesn't. Nor does Captain Lee. They're both at fault.

Eddie was on board last season, but he was a deckhand.  He didn't manage anyone.  This year he is the bosun.

I think a large part of Eddie's agreement with Captain Lee on keeping Andrew for the time being had a lot to do with the difficulty of finding a replacement on such short notice.  It's easy for the crew to say fire him.  I don't think they were looking at the whole picture.

Personally I think Bravo knew the whole time that Andrew was completely inexperienced with boats and that he lied on his resume. Captain Lee may not have known that. Well, obviously not. But I would not be surprised that when Captain Lee was approached by Bravo about doing season 2 it was clear that Bravo would supply the crew members. Captain probably thought they would take care of it, and pick competent people. So I dunno who really dropped the ball here. Could've been Captain, or Bravo's producers made a huge mistake. Who knows.

• Love 2

Can you elaborate on Eddie's failed managerial decision last season? I only remember Aleks getting bullied into giving Sam her undeserved tip. I don't believe Eddie had this much authority last year.

So far Andrew has actually increased their work load since they have to stop and teach him everything, doubling the time consumption of every task. I doubt he will last long. But the captain really screwed up by not firing him on the spot after doling out the first charter's tip. Andrew picked the perfect time to come clean. There was no way the captain would fire him an hour before charter guests arrive.

Oops - it was Aleks I was thinking of. Sorry about that. Thanks for the correction.

And I agree with you about the crew having to work twice as hard to pick up Andrew's slack, or slowing everything down to teach him stuff. Suspending disbelief since of course this is all scripted, the Captain should have fired him for that reason alone.

I think a large part of Eddie's agreement with Captain Lee on keeping Andrew for the time being had a lot to do with the difficulty of finding a replacement on such short notice.  It's easy for the crew to say fire him.  I don't think they were looking at the whole picture.

As I wrote above, I mixed up Eddie with Aleks (from last season), so sorry about that. But as for looking at the big picture, I still think it's the other way around. I think Eddie and the Captain weren't looking at the repercussions of letting Andrew work the charter....they only looked at the small picture right in front of them (the charter leaves in a couple of hours, we don't have a replacement). I think it would have been a smarter move to fire Andrew there and then. Yes, they would have been short-handed for one charter, and the deckhands especially would have had extra work, but none of these lingering problems and resentments from the rest of the crew would be an issue. And besides, Andrew's lack of experience made him more of a hindrance than a help anyway.

I love this show too and am surprised there isn't more board activity.

Okay, I have to say this...please don't hate me. I really do like Ben so much BUT...every time he is shown preparing the food with his BARE HANDS, I feel like gagging. And I'm not even a germaphobe. But that just seems really, really gross and unhygienic. Why doesn't he wear gloves?? Also, he can't really be the only chef on board. What if he became ill? That would be really gross for a sick chef to be preparing food.

Jennice didn't seem that concerned for Kelley when he took that awful head hit. Very blase about the whole thing.

I knew Kat would be going after Ben soon enough. Last season she was always going on about being horny and needing to get laid.

I am a smiler so I prefer Amy's disposition. Kate looks like a sour old hag.

I agree that Andrew is some prep-school entitled kid. I wish Captain Lee had sent him packing. He seems really dumb too.

• Love 2

I love this show too and am surprised there isn't more board activity.

Okay, I have to say this...please don't hate me. I really do like Ben so much BUT...every time he is shown preparing the food with his BARE HANDS, I feel like gagging. And I'm not even a germaphobe. But that just seems really, really gross and unhygienic. Why doesn't he wear gloves?? Also, he can't really be the only chef on board. What if he became ill? That would be really gross for a sick chef to be preparing food.

Jennice didn't seem that concerned for Kelley when he took that awful head hit. Very blase about the whole thing.

I knew Kat would be going after Ben soon enough. Last season she was always going on about being horny and needing to get laid.

I am a smiler so I prefer Amy's disposition. Kate looks like a sour old hag.

I agree that Andrew is some prep-school entitled kid. I wish Captain Lee had sent him packing. He seems really dumb too.

Do you watch Top Chef or any other cooking show?  No one wears gloves.  I get that it can gross someone out but that's the way it is.  You just gotta hope they wash their hands a lot.

I don't think Kelley was as badly injured as they portrayed it at the end of the last episode.  He did seem to get up quickly and they didn't call an ambulance.

• Love 1

Personally I think Bravo knew the whole time that Andrew was completely inexperienced with boats and that he lied on his resume. Captain Lee may not have known that. Well, obviously not. But I would not be surprised that when Captain Lee was approached by Bravo about doing season 2 it was clear that Bravo would supply the crew members. Captain probably thought they would take care of it, and pick competent people. So I dunno who really dropped the ball here. Could've been Captain, or Bravo's producers made a huge mistake. Who knows.

I think you're right about Bravo handled the hiring and knew he was lying.  But with that said, if Ohana is over 200 gross tons, Andrew would at least have to have had his STCW-95 certificate which is a safety requirement for deckhands in international waters.  I don't know how much Ohana weighs but it is 150 feet long.

In my search to find how much Ohana weighs (ok - I'm avoiding doing other things) I came across some interesting articles on the yachts on Below Deck.  Ohana was recently sold and renamed.  Honor was sold after season one and renamed.

http://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/news/lbelow-deckr-yacht-rhino-%28ex-ohana%29-renamed-refitted-and-ready-for-charter-2778.htm

http://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/news/motor-yachtohana-to-appear-in-lbelow-deckr-season-2-reality-show-1893.htm

Note in that second article about getting ready for season two, it says her Captain John Grugach and producers are now looking for a new crew to fill the rest of the positions on board as well as charter guests willing to be filmed for the duration of their vacation.  Guess Captain Grugach was 'out' at some point and Captain Lee was 'in'.

• Love 2

I don't think she's mentally to that place yet.  She stills wants the whole package.  In a few more years, maybe.

I don't think she has that kind of time.

Of course her goal is to marry a rich man but right now I think she wants to marry a rich, attractive man.

That ship has already sailed, I'm afraid.

I'll see myself out

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Regarding cooking food with bare hands, they have found that the food gets less contaminated with bare hands.  This is because people tend to rely on the gloves being clean instead of their hands, so with gloves someone might not wash their hands as nearly as much as they would with bare hands.  There's nothing that somene's bare hands are going to put into the food that isn't there with gloves, because what is on your hands gets on the outside of gloves as you put them on, plus that false sense of security that things are cleaner.

• Love 6

I did like that Eddie and Kelly completely got why Jennice was pissed about Andrew saying things like "bitch work" and being "more of a man." A lot of guys, as Andrew clearly didn't, don't understand how that sort of gendered language is disrespectful and can get super annoying, particularly when working in a male dominated field.

Yes! I already loved Eddie but now I love him even more!!

Regarding cooking food with bare hands, they have found that the food gets less contaminated with bare hands.  This is because people tend to rely on the gloves being clean instead of their hands, so with gloves someone might not wash their hands as nearly as much as they would with bare hands.  There's nothing that somene's bare hands are going to put into the food that isn't there with gloves, because what is on your hands gets on the outside of gloves as you put them on, plus that false sense of security that things are cleaner.

Oh, okay, good to know. I don't watch Top Chef so I didn't know gloves weren't the norm. I'm sure Ben is very concientious about washing his hands.

I agree that no way is Kate 31. Sorry, just no. She'd better hustle if she wants to land that rich man. I can't stand shallow women like her that their main priority is how much money a man has, even over his character.

So I called that one. The captain is a moron. Sorry, he may be a nice guy and all, but to NOT check the backgrounds and the references of his hires when he is responsible for the safety and well-being of his very-well-paying passengers? He's a poor manager and his gruff demeanor is a shield against his poor decisions. His problems are self-inflicted and shouldn't be blamed on the people he hired without checking.

I blame the 4th wall. The crew on camera is cast first and crew second. Even if Capt. Lee wanted to fire him I reckon it's Bravo's call. Lee keeps at least his own engineer and first officer onboard. We don't know who else is off camera and actually looking after the boat. Edited by crabbypants
  • Love 1

Yes! I already loved Eddie but now I love him even more!!

I did, until I saw a ciggie in his mouth. Ugh. Instantly less attractive to me. He does seem very competent and I can see him continuing in the career until he's a first officer or captain.

I much prefer Kate to Adrienne. The whole vibe of the boat seems much better this year.

So many things seem producer driven - the whole Andrew situation, mint ordered but not arrived, etc.

• Love 3

I dunno what's involved in getting that particular safety certificate, but it's completely possible Andrew could have taken a written test (for example) but have no practical knowledge when it comes to actually being on a boat. Maybe that's how he managed to skirt by. Or Bravo's team just really didn't thoroughly vet him at all. Or (though the least likely) they knew full well he had zero working experience on a yacht and sent him on the show anyway, just for all the wacky ineptitude and hijinks that could ensue. But then if that's true and something serious did happen at his expense Bravo could probably get sued.

After his admission that he lied about his resume I think them keeping him on board is a big safety issue and liability. Plus it's that much more work for everyone who has to show him what to do and fix his mistakes. It makes more sense to send him home.

While I don't think Kate needs to be all huge smiles, she is in a service position. Some people just have a resting angry face, and unfortunately she is one of them. So, when she isn't smiling, it does come off as a little colder than some of the others.

I hate someone telling me to smile, and it would definitely annoy me extremely to hear someone do that. But I think she should follow the pageant smile. When someone asks a question, flash a smile, and when you give them something flash the smile, and let it linger for like a second after you are done talking. Otherwise it is almost robotic. 

Edited by nenya
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I think this kind of job requires smiling at least on occasion.  & it seemed Kate didn't even do that much.  She did on the 1st charter, though, which makes me think there was something else (aside from the mojitos).  I think Kate was jealous that she wasn't in the position of the women on the charter.  Next week doesn't seem much better with the Playmates, though I think won't be a jealousy over their position issue.  But still few smiles if the preview is to be believed.

Andrew should be fired.  He's a safety risk.

• Love 1

Adrienne barely smiled either. More than Kate but not much. Their position must draw a certain personality type. Very controlled/controlling, hyper-organized and uptight. Both Adrienne and Kate seem like they have a big responsibility and live up to it. But it doesn't make them much fun to be around. Still, Kate is better than Adrienne.

I like this crew a lot better. Sam was annoying and CJ, ugh. But Andrew is totally annoying too.

This show has some wonky editing. On the last charter I was grossed out when a) the camera panned down one of the male charter guest's legs all the way to his feet and lingered on the guy's gnarly toes!! b) when Georgia was singing about having to go "number two". Wow, I'm sure she was just thrilled to see that that was actually put on the show in the end, poor thing. Ha ha!

• Love 1

And I would drink too much and act silly because I am on VACATION!  I would not want to be judged for acting silly by the staff. 

Bittercakes by Kate in my opinion.

I wonder how the guests feel when they watch the show and hear the comments that were made about them? Does anyone know what kind of a discount they get on the charter for being part of the show? I just started watching this season so I am not in the loop.

I always assume, whether I am doing something high-end or something fiscally conservative, that I am being talked about and probably mocked to a certain extent by the service providers. I am always a fairly easy person to accommodate, but I would still imagine I am being talked about at restaurants regarding an order, or by hotel staff as to the state of my room, or by the nice Flight Attendant in 1st class because yes, I do need a 3rd vodka tonic. Not because they are terrible people, but because folks that bond together at work just tend to do this, whatever industry they work in. 

• Love 1