Type keyword(s) to search

Class Of '07 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

FpcPmQXaYAAfh0r?format=jpg&name=large
Class of 07 is a Comedy TV Series filmed in Sydney Australia with all 8 episodes being released at the same time on March 17, 2023 on Prime Video.   

When a gigantic tidal wave strikes during The Ridge High all-girls Catholic high school Class of 2007's ten-year reunion , this group of women must find a way to survive on the island peak of their high school campus. The series follows a group of former classmates, now freshly entangled in decade-old drama, as they attempt to survive not just the apocalypse but each other. 
classofprime3-1080x720.jpg.webp
Zoe and Amelia were once best friends, but they haven’t spoken for years and aren’t enjoying the event. The ladies must try to work together and find a way out of their situation, their memories of the good old days may be the key to their survival. As the days pass, the girls begin to let go of their past grievances and start working together as a team.

FpcPlmwacAIKCFa?format=jpg&name=4096x409
FpY6aBjaMAEQDXy?format=jpg&name=large
Emily Browning as Zoe
Julia Savage as Young Zoe
MV5BNGYwNzIwZTAtMjA1ZS00ZWY3LThiMzUtMDA2
Megan Smart as Amelia
Holly Simon as Young AmeliaClass_of_07_S1_Payoff_Saskia_.jpg

Caitlin Stasey as Saskia
Shay Cohen as Young Saskia
MV5BY2Q4NTI1OTEtZjYyOS00OTc4LThjOTctNWUz
Claire Lovering as Genevieve
Martha Kate Morgan as Young Genevieve
MV5BZjhiODZiNGMtN2RmOC00N2FkLWJmZWEtOTZm
Sana'a Shaik as Teresa
Noodle Green as     Young Teresa
Sarah Krndija as Sandy
Audrey Alexander as Young Sandy
Emma Horn as Renee
4.39.CLASS_OF_07.Photo_John_Platt.G44590

Steph Tisdell as Phoebe
Rose Flanagan as Laura
Chi Nguyen as Megan
Bernie Van Tiel as Tegan
Debra Lawrance as Sister Bicky
Rosaleen Cox as Sarah K  
Sarah Takau as Butch Melanie
Andrea Solonge as Kimberley Ricci AKA the Girl who loved Horses

Class of '07     March 17      Prime Video   

Episodes 1-8   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Bird Shit
91HXOJzln8L._SX536_.jpg
After getting dumped on national television, Zoe goes into hiding by living off-grid until strange weather events lead her to seek out higher ground at her old school where Zoe stumbles upon her own ten year high school reunion in full swing.

S01.E02: Pancake Rage
71qLNLY6w5L._SX536_.jpg
Realising they are stuck at Ridge Heights for the foreseeable future, the classmates scramble for a plan to survive.

S01.E03: Dumb Dumbs
81HXaUyRDdL._SX536_.jpg
Under mean girl Saskia's newly instated reign, Zoe struggles with Sandy's disappearance while Genevieve begins a relentless search.

S01.E04: Soul-Crushing-Cycle
91Lm7JU4ENL._SX536_.jpg
The women begin to power the school under Saskia's increasingly ruthless leadership, while Zoe hunts for a new best friend to take Amelia's place.

S01.E05: The People vs. Saskia
91r21jj5TNL._SX536_.jpg
Genevieve brings Saskia to trial for her mean girl crimes, while Zoe finds herself in a tight spot when Amelia agrees to defend Saskia.

S01.E06: Utopia
81Cp3QkgUyL._SX536_.jpg
Shuttered in with food poisoning during a torrential storm, the class begins healing their teenage wounds.

S01.E07: Party Like It's 1999
81ng9otfCNL._SX536_.jpg
In the aftermath of Sandy’s vengeful return, Zoe must stop Amelia from leading the class into a hedonistic end-of-life party.

S01.E08: The Tribe Has Spoken
91QJ4fGtHlL._SX536_.jpg
When Amelia volunteers as a sacrificial lamb for the greater good of the class, Zoe must decide if their friendship is over forever.

That was fun. Most of the jokes hit, although there was more vomit than I would have preferred (which is none). I couldn't help but root for Zoe even though she was truly terrible. Renee being the worst doctor in the world was great (I saw that toe thing coming). And until she went a little too ruthless, I was actually on Saskia's side --  I'm not sure I'd react the exact same way to someone destroying the fresh food stores in an apocalypse and putting everyone in danger, but it wouldn't be pretty.

At the end of the season, I was thinking:

Spoiler

"Oh no, is this going to end up like The Wilds where they introduce a bunch of men and half of season two's runtime goes to them?" but no, it doesn't look like those guys are long for this world!

• Like 3

This was a show I planned to watch on the treadmill, without my husband, because I didn't think it would appeal to him. But when he heard me laughing so much during the first episode, he asked what I was watching. I described the premise and the age group of the characters, and to my surprise he said he wanted to give it a try. We ended up bingeing it over a couple of days and both really enjoyed it--surprising since we are in our 70s. I think it's in part because the characters and experiences of these girls/young women were universal. The music and pop culture references change in each era, but there are always mean girls, ignored or mocked nerds, screw-ups, etc. And the friendships made in high school can be intense but can also end as a result of misunderstanding or just life and interests changing as you grow up. The experience of sexual harassment and abuse is also, unfortunately, universal.

When the show started, we thought it was going to be just a comedy in an unusual setting. And it did continue to be very funny at times, but it also became darker and ultimately moving. In some shows that tonal shift doesn't work, but I think it did here. 

I hope more people discover this show.    

• Like 7

I watched this show due to the similarity of its premise to Yellowjackets.  Overall I enjoyed it and laughed a lot, but felt the series was uneven.  The first five episodes were really good, balancing comedy and character development, but the final three just became silly.  I was particularly turned off by 

Spoiler

the decision to sacrifice Megan before they had even tried to hunt for wildlife living on the grounds.

They tried to play it off as funny, but it just didn't work, because ultimately what they were saying was that a classmate was expendable because she didn't have an obvious enough survival skill.  Also I've never been a fan of gross-out humor, and there was a lot of it in this series.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:49 PM, Cranberry said:

I couldn't help but root for Zoe even though she was truly terrible.

I don't know. To me, the "truly terrible" award goes to Saskia for those few episodes in which she went full-on dictator. What the teacher did to her was awful, but it does not justify shoving Teresa's severed toe into Renee's mouth as punishment (WTF!!!) I was on Zoe's side since the beginning, when everyone blamed her for not telling them about the Pocco (heh) when all she did upon setting foot at the reunion was try to tell them that there was something weird going on but no one listened because they were too busy making fun of her. That was actually hard to watch because of how frustrating it was. And the show seemed to lean into it for the lols as the episodes progressed, like "Oh, this is obviously Zoe's fault, too!" all the while Saskia was out there starving people out for not doing their hair properly. Just didn't sit well with me. The "Forgettable Laura" jokes also got old pretty fast.

I'll probably watch a season 2 if there is one because I'm in love with Genevieve (she's the exact brand of neurotic, dorky character I tend to fall for), but there were a lot of frustrating things that kept me from truly enjoying this, which is a shame because I was really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I finally got around to binging this. I thought I'd like it more than I did but I mostly enjoyed it.

Saskia seems to be a fave but I didn't care for her. Conversely, I thought Zoe was one of the better characters. So, basically, I agree with what you said above, @Niuxita.

I don't get TV's obsession with vomiting lately. 

I really loved Renee and Phoebe's friendship, which was giving me possible romantic vibes as well, and Sandy/Theresa's friendship ended up being strangely moving. I didn't particularly care about Zoe/Amelia though to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Love 1