Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

It's ridiculous how everyone is saying in their voiceovers how both Graham and Lacy are so physically sick over AshLee talking behind Clare's back! Yes, that's it. It's not food poisoning from a bad tamale or too much tequila or reactions to fire ant bites or the sweltering heat and long nights of filming, their bodies are physically rejecting AshLee's rudeness! Has Lacy come up for breath long enough from Marcus to even know who AshLee and Clare are? And Graham looked a hell of a lot worse than Lacy did with the profuse sweating and losing his vision(!) but Lacy is going to the hospital for having a queasy tummy?! I mean, the ambulance is already there and the show has a tab running at the ER thanks to Putz, so maybe Graham should hitch a ride while you're going anyway!

I'm very disappointed that no one ran into the jungle, lost forever becoming a feral person or getting attacked by a chupacabra. But I guess being chased in the jungle by Elan the producer is pretty close to being chased by a chupacabra! I mean Clare didn't even get rabies from her therapist raccoon!

That resort that Cody and Michelle went to sure is swanky compared to the dump they're in with the dilapidated cabins with bunk beds.

Jesse is icky. I don't even mean the hookups, as we've seen Lacy jump from Robert to Marcus and Elyse jump from Dylan to Chris--that was good TV! Everything about Jesse is Wrong Reasons and it's just not fun TV Wrong Reasons, it's like you want to give the women the nail polish that detects roofies when he was passing out tray fulls of tequila shots with a "special" large glass just for Christy.

OMG. I am typing this while I'm watching (I fell asleep last night and am watching now) and now I hear Lucy telling Christy someone climbed in their bed and Christy thinks it was a dream and didn't understand how Lucy had a beard. Lucy was with Jesse when they passed out the drinks. Jesse and Lucy totally roofied Christy! Maybe? Possibly? Probably? Allegedly! Oh, now it sounds like Lucy wasn't there, just Jesse...but everyone thinks Lucy was? This is confusing. Like Clare, this drama is too much for me. [runs off into the jungle sobbing at a raccoon] Ok, I suppose I need to retract my earlier statement. While I still think Jesse is icky and a potential date rapist, I suppose he makes for a decent Wrong Reasons storyline--but just barely because we're losing most of our beloved crazies so now we need to rely on the creepy crazies for entertainment.

• Love 6

Finally, I'd like to talk about wardrobe. Lacy, while pretend-puking, had her rose ceremony dress open in the back, with the attached tag clearly visible. I wonder if the dress was furnished by production and they were planning to return it, or whether it was Lacy's, and she was planning to return it. Either way, gross.

I thought that maybe her dress was too tight & she thought that might have been contributing to the way she felt...so she unzipped it.  I don't know, I'm not a therapy raccoon.  (I so hope he doesn't go away.)

• Love 2

My problem wash't that she unzipped the dress, it was that the store/manufacturer tag was still attached to it. People who keep the tags on clothing usually plan to return the worn clothing as if it's still new and had never been worn, which is gross. Either Lacy had bought a bunch of clothes that she planned to wear on the show and return after it finished filming, or production bought a bunch of clothes to have the cast wear and then return. Either way, not cool.

• Love 6

Used to be if a garment looked or smelled like it had been worn, it couldn't be returned to the store even if the tag was attached. Now anything goes with returns. I blame it on the Wal-Mart Effect. :/ Then again, there was a time you made sure you liked what you bought, because there was no such thing as returning your purchases. Imagine that, kids. haha

I saw a flash of white in Michelle's left side bikini top, like we saw in one of Andi's suits and all wondered what it was (double-sided tape?)...surely it's not a hangtag, because eww (and how uncomfortably silly).

Edited by KR Vermont

We actually have a neighborhood raccoon that wanders into the yard every night to eat the cat's food. Last night he poked his head in the back door while this show was on. My first thought was, "The doctor is in."

I love this! Between GotG's Rocket & BIP's Dr. Raccoon it's been a good summer for our masked friends.

I missed seeing Christy's extensions. I was probably too blinded by her horrible sunburn that made her look like a patchwork quilt, if the quilt was just big chunks of red & white. Also her obsession with drinking was the star of her show for sure. (Why is there all this booze & no one drinking it?!) Probably because Dr. Raccoon told everyone to lay off the tequila & watch out for those sneaky lizards trying to sell themselves as life coaches. Amateurs.

• Love 2

Oh my goodness…this show. I can't believe the drama. 

Just when I was starting to like Clare she had to go all drama-queen again.

And I'm having a really hard time caring about the Christy/Jesse/Lucy love triangle…maybe just because they're all new. Or maybe because they are awful people…?

I've made another 2 blog posts for another 2 episodes…feel free to check them out if you like…or not… Warning: they contain extreme amounts of sass.

Monday's Episode Blog Post

Tuesday's Episode Blog Post

• Love 1

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have had an epiphany.  Forget Farmer Chris as the new Bachelor.  I hereby nominate the Raccoon.  It'd be like Guardians of the Galaxy meets Dr. Phil, with prolific use of the question mark subtitle.

Aww now that's a good idea!  I like the idea of the Raccoon as the bachelor if it's not too traumatic for him...

• Love 1

That's why it's unfortunate we never get to know anything about how these people see the world (politics, religion, etc). For some people that's not important and for others I know they'd be happy with Chris' views. For me, finding out on Day One that he supported Rick Perry would have me begging to go home ASAP (he'd probably happily oblige, too.)

Oh, yuck. I'd be heading for the hills, too. I can't say I'm surprised. I'm going to guess he envisions his wifey as an-aproned-in-the-kitchen sort who lets him rule the roost. Just listen to Rick Perry on women's issues -- what a neanderthal. I am looking forward to people discovering the real Chris during the course of the season -- I have heard he's not as nice as appears, and he does have his arrest record, of course.

Is there a thread to discuss the upcoming season (other than spoilers)? I didn't see one.

It's ridiculous how everyone is saying in their voiceovers how both Graham and Lacy are so physically sick over AshLee talking behind Clare's back! Yes, that's it. It's not food poisoning from a bad tamale or too much tequila or reactions to fire ant bites or the sweltering heat and long nights of filming, their bodies are physically rejecting AshLee's rudeness! Has Lacy come up for breath long enough from Marcus to even know who AshLee and Clare are? And Graham looked a hell of a lot worse than Lacy did with the profuse sweating and losing his vision(!) but Lacy is going to the hospital for having a queasy tummy?! I mean, the ambulance is already there and the show has a tab running at the ER thanks to Putz, so maybe Graham should hitch a ride while you're going anyway!

I'm very disappointed that no one ran into the jungle, lost forever becoming a feral person or getting attacked by a chupacabra. But I guess being chased in the jungle by Elan the producer is pretty close to being chased by a chupacabra! I mean Clare didn't even get rabies from her therapist raccoon!

LOL! Good one. We should know better than to be fooled by Bachelor previews. I think Graham was losing his vision because he was weak and starting to black out. Because he was lightheaded, maybe dehydrated. It certainly sounded at least as serious as someone puking while on vacay in Mexico!

• Love 1

I think Graham needed to go to the hospital via ambulance before Lacy did, personally. (although I think neither one actually needed to go anywhere... but if someone had to go to the hospital I'd have picked Graham out of the two of them)

• Love 1

watch out for those sneaky lizards trying to sell themselves as life coaches. Amateurs.

Bwaaaaahhhhh!!!   Thank you for that!

Is there a thread to discuss the upcoming season (other than spoilers)? I didn't see one.

The spoiler thread is safe right now, since the only conversation has been about who the lead would be. And we know it's Chris.   Since they haven't finished casting and haven't started shooting yet, there aren't any current spoilers. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

"

Why is there all this booze & no one drinking it?!

Marquel probably shamed them all into one drink per evening.

Now, I'm quite disturbed thinking about some poor innocent girl spending a month's pay on Lacy's dress, never guessing it contains traces of vomit, bachelor franchise toilet rim germs, Mexican hospital super-germs, and neckline to hem Marcus sweat.  I'd like to see it under one of those forensic black lights.

JenE4 you started my day out right.

• Love 4

Everything about Jesse is Wrong Reasons and it's just not fun TV Wrong Reasons, it's like you want to give the women the nail polish that detects roofies when he was passing out tray fulls of tequila shots with a "special" large glass just for Christy.

Excellent!  In such a timely manner too.

Clare was such an idiot to expect a life long commitment after 3 days.  This show is truly the highest level of crap.

• Love 1
Lucy's approach was all wrong. This is not an open-minded group of guys that can accept a woman could be as sexually unbridled as they are. These are the guys who will pressure/ cajole a chic into taking her skivvies off, then turn around and call her a slut the next day. They somehow want a freak, but don't want anyone to have hit that before them.

Bingo! And the other women are just as bad. I don't know where they find these people for the Bachelor franchise but they are almost unilaterally not very socially progressive. It's a gender stereotyping, slut shaming, body shaming, misogynistic free for all! And yet I watch. 

All in all, I don't think this show is working. It started out fun, but all the constant contestant swapping makes you not really get attached to anyone. In a previous thread I think someone suggested that established couples shouldn't get to say. If you decide to commit, your new relationship should be your new "paradise" and you should leave to let other contestants come in and try their hand at "love." 

• Love 4

Excellent!  In such a timely manner too.

Clare was such an idiot to expect a life long commitment after 3 days.  This show is truly the highest level of crap.

I have the impression that the original people have been there for at least a few weeks. After the rose ceremony, Michelle said something about it meaning that another week had gone by.

And I'm having a really hard time caring about the Christy/Jesse/Lucy love triangle…

I couldn't either. Beyond them just all being awful, irritating people, it was a boring story line. Nothing really happened except a bunch of drunk slobs acted like drunk slobs, and then I was supposed to care about that. Whatever.

Now, I'm quite disturbed thinking about some poor innocent girl spending a month's pay on Lacy's dress, never guessing it contains traces of vomit, bachelor franchise toilet rim germs, Mexican hospital super-germs, and neckline to hem Marcus sweat.  

Hahahaha ewwwwwww!

I don't criticize Lucy because she was uninhibited but because the way she did it was so inappropriate. (I know. "Inappropriate" to "The Bachelor" is like "therapy" to Dr. Raccoon.) But, seriously, going topless before you've even been introduced? Just screams "desperate and slutty" rather than "carefree and uninhibited". It also didn't seem to work, since everyone--girls and guys alike seemed unimpressed and turned off (Jesse, after apparently getting a grope or two in the jungle couldn't even be bothered to remember her name. Embarrassing!)

Things I don't understand: why Clare thought Zack and she should be a committed couple after three days.... why Lacy went to the hospital for indigestion while Graham "bucked up" with a loss of vision and near-blackout.... why producers actually let us see CH looking bored with it all... why anyone would find Cody attractive (sorry, he just seems so desperate, over-eager and his "love" seems very impersonal--Clare today, Michelle today...?.... why Lucy thought there was a chance in the world that horndog Jesse would choose her over hot drunken Christy.

Oh, and Christy's hair. Why not get the roots done when you're waiting to go on the show? Why not, I dunno, borrow a comb or brush while you're there?  She looks like most guys dream of "hot blonde model" but seems to lack self-esteem, brains and sobriety. She's a pretty girl, but what a mess.

The show is such a disaster (and even CH has some facial expressions I've never seen from him before--I think even he and the crew see this as a "new low" in TB franchise). But you alls' (TM Andi) posts make it all worthwhile!  

• Love 4
Unless the mic pack still had it's price tag, I doubt it.  I don't know about the other times, but I specifically saw a bar code on the tag in Lacy's dress.

Bar codes are often used to keep track of equipment and inventory, so it wouldn't be out of realm of possibility for the tag to be part of the mic pack. They probably check them out to the hamsters, so if a hamster breaks or loses one, or runs into the ocean with it in a drunken stupor, they know who to ask (or bill, hah!).

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 1

I was thinking guys, what is the end game here? Because they keep bringing people on and the crowd hasn't thinned tremendously--does Bachelor in Paradise go on for eternity?? How/when does it end exactly? And is there a "winner"?

• Love 1

I actually like Lucy. I don't think her attempts to sabotage the Bachelor franchise work too well, but I've followed her on Twitter ever since I saw her song about Juan Pablo and she's pretty adorable. Interestingly, she hasn't tweeted a thing about BiP and she tweets a lot. I don't know if she's embarrassed or she just doesn't care. For the past few days all she's tweeted about is Burning Man. Ha. 

I was thinking guys, what is the end game here? Because they keep bringing people on and the crowd hasn't thinned tremendously--does Bachelor in Paradise go on for eternity?? How/when does it end exactly? And is there a "winner"?

What a concept!    Each week, two enter, and two leave.  Forever!  Children end up being born in "paradise", an entire community is founded, with its own police force, government, laws.  A giant commune, where they grow their own food and raise chickens.  And each week, if you don't get a rose, you're banished forever. 

Divorce or breaking up is easy  - if I don't give you a rose, we're done.  And your only way to stick around is if someone else wants to keep you.  

A whole tribe of Bachelors and Bachelorettes.  

Until melanoma kills them all.  

• Love 12

What a concept!    Each week, two enter, and two leave.  Forever!  Children end up being born in "paradise", an entire community is founded, with its own police force, government, laws.  A giant commune, where they grow their own food and raise chickens.  And each week, if you don't get a rose, you're banished forever. 

Divorce or breaking up is easy  - if I don't give you a rose, we're done.  And your only way to stick around is if someone else wants to keep you.  

A whole tribe of Bachelors and Bachelorettes.  

Until melanoma kills them all.  

At least we know the babies will be hot.

• Love 9

Jesse, after apparently getting a grope or two in the jungle couldn't even be bothered to remember her name. Embarrassing!

As gross as Jesse is, that was hilarious!

At least we know the babies will be hot.

And if they can lure Jamie away from her Married at First Sight gig they'd have a labor & delivery nurse. Eternity in Paradise: is it heaven or hell?
  • Love 1

If you decide to commit, your new relationship should be your new "paradise" and you should leave to let other contestants come in and try their hand at "love."

I wonder how many of these "couples" would still be couples if that were the rule. If Ashlee wasn't Graham's only chance to stay would he still stick with her? If Would Lacy and Marcus be joined at the hip if they had to leave to do it? I doubt these "relationships" exist for any reason beyond staying on the show/getting a rose. That would actually be really interesting, if they had to leave once they committed. Bet there would be a lot more cross dating if two dates with the same person meant banishment.

I would watch the hell out of Eternity in Paradise. Bring it!

Right now my favorite thing about this show is the editors. They are brilliant. The horror music when Clare woke Zack in his top bunk was great. The Raccoon shots while Clare voiceovered her therapy session. Genius. And the knocking down of the fourth wall to show just what a non-reality bunch of nonsense this really is is so much better than the Mother Ships pretense of true love and prince charmings.

• Love 2

I can't figure out what the "endgame" is either.  I think they should have instituted a rule that you can't give a rose to the person who gave you the rose in the last ceremony.  That would be more interesting as the contestants would have to scramble to convince someone else to give their "other half" the rose.

As it is right now, most everyone is coupled up and the lone incomers have to be sleaze balls in an effort to stay.  It's getting boring.

I think Sarah and Cody would be a good couple.  He's so darn eager to please and she's a hopeless romantic.  I think they are both rather childlike.  Cody like to make people laugh and Sarah has a bit of snark in her as well.

I'm not sad to see Lucy gone.  How does she make a living being a "Free Spirit" anyway?

• Love 2

If you decide to commit, your new relationship should be your new "paradise" and you should leave to let other contestants come in and try their hand at "love."

It's too bad the producers didn't think this show through ahead of time, or do a better job of thinking on their feet. By the time Marcus was saying I love you to Lacy and the cast was scratching their heads in boredom that should have been the cue for the big black bachelor SUV to pull up outside the hut and carry them away to that real hotel that the Putz was staying in. 

I doubt these "relationships" exist for any reason beyond staying on the show/getting a rose

Right. The Sara/Robert friendship is just that. 

How does she make a living being a "Free Spirit" anyway?

I've read somewhere - don't remember exactly where - that's she's a trust fund baby. Apparently she's friends with Kate Upton and used to date the CEO of Snapchat, so she does move in rich people circles.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I can't really fault her for being a trust fund baby.  It's not her fault she was born into her family and its money.  I'm not sure I would work either if I didn't have to.  But I would have hobbies, or do volunteer work.  Then I could identify myself as an Artist or Writer (doesn't mean that I sell any of it) or Humanitarian.

I think the title of Free Spirit bothers me, as it's the only way she sees herself and she tries way to hard to sell it.  I know the producers of this show come up with some titles that leave me scratching my head (how may pharmaceutical reps does this country have!) but I would think the participants have some say in it.

• Love 2

To me Marquel never lived up to his potential, I posted in the "Bachelorette In The Media" thread that he is saying he thought he wasn't picked to be the next Bachelor because he is black. I do think he doesn't have enough personality, but then again Chris isn't exactly a ball of fire.

*edited to say, maybe I should have posted it in the Bachelor forum?

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 1

If Lucy had built the business successes that Paris Hilton has, I'd be pretty impressed. (Yes, she's kind of trashy, but she wasn't as trashy on television as Lucy, ripping off her ..bra?...undergarments? as soon as the cameras came on.

I'm no Paris Hilton fan, but she does seem to have used her "celebrity status" and money to create a lot of businesses and a lot of her activities are in branding them. Lucy just seems like a famewhore without any special "look", personality, ambition or ideals. I found her so annoying.

• Love 1

Is white nail polish the fashionable color now?  I've seen at least two of the girls with white polish.

I was going to ask the same thing about the frosted, peachy-pink lipstick so many of the girls were wearing!

That was actually Dylan with the 20+ girls, not Marcus.

I remembered it being Marcus as well! But, my memory is not to be trusted. :)

I've read somewhere - don't remember exactly where - that's she's a trust fund baby. Apparently she's friends with Kate Upton and used to date the CEO of Snapchat, so she does move in rich people circles.

Trust fund baby was my guess! I swear I said that to my hubby mid episode. She seems like she is lamely trying to rebel against her conventional, privileged upbringing by bouncing around the globe, and over-emphasizing her sexuality.

• Love 1

Do you all really like Christy, though?  Too soon to say, I guess, but she is not good looking by this show's standards.  She's probably the youngest one currently in the house, but she has little shape to her body and her hair looks fake.  Claire, AshLee, Michelle - all over 30 and all better looking than Christy, imho.  There's more to a person than appearance of course, but this a superficial show so that's got to count for something.

I thought Christy was pretty good-looking (and definitely more so than Lucy), but I don't currently get high definition where I'm living so I wonder if that's why I'm not sharing the opinion of most people here. I don't remember her from Juan Pablo's season though, so she probably doesn't stand out if she's with truly good-looking women. Definitely not too bright though, and I suspect not the nicest person in that house. I can't remember if it's due to something I heard her say, or something I've seen.

I have the impression that the original people have been there for at least a few weeks. After the rose ceremony, Michelle said something about it meaning that another week had gone by.

All the bach's and bachette's are well trained to say 'week' instead of 'day' or 'days'. In their world, the time period between rose ceremonies is a week even if in reality it's only two days. This whole show was shot in less than three weeks.

• Love 3

I guess I'm cray cray too, cause I totally get where Clare is coming from. Well, not the crying and the running into the jungle part. But I get why she ended things with Zack and why she was offended by his lack of enthusiasm for their relationship. Plus that to the fact that he backed out of the AshLee drama like an insupportive whuzz citing "girl drama" as a reason ("girl drama" that he was an active part of starting by gossiping with AshLee), and yes, I would call that legitimate "red flags".

Of course it's not realistic to expect a serious commitment after a few days of dating, but in the setting of BIP, I think it's only reasonable to expect that a guy be able to at least say "Yeah, I'm totally into you, and right now I cannot imagine another dumb blonde walking into this trainwreck and wreck this hot thing we have". If a guy can't even give you that, what's the point of dating him?

• Love 6

I agree Cecily. I also had a feeling that Clare had a realization that he was kind of dumb and not worth the the bullshit and crap accommodations.

I don't rewatch Game of Thrones much less this shit so my memory may be way off. But I think in maybe her raccoon therapy sesh she said "what is he even saying" or something like that. Zack may not be a dumbass, but he seems stupid onscreen. I don't even think she needed beautiful prose, but more than his "uh, yeah , well". I think she had had it and realized he's kind of a dud.

She lost me with the Dancing With The Stars. While that provided huge comic relief, I gathered she was serious. And that's fucking delusional.

• Love 4
Too bad Clare once again went too far emotionally, too fast. I'll miss her, but she really made me roll my eyes when she was going on about not wanting the drama, when from where I sat, she was the one creating the drama.

Classic passive-aggressive move.

• Love 2
Do you all really like Christy, though?  Too soon to say, I guess, but she is not good looking by this show's standards.  She's probably the youngest one currently in the house, but she has little shape to her body and her hair looks fake.  Claire, AshLee, Michelle - all over 30 and all better looking than Christy, imho.  There's more to a person than appearance of course, but this a superficial show so that's got to count for something.

No, I don't think she is up to this show's standards, either. And I don't remember her at all from Juan Pablo's season. She is the only one on this show that I drew a blank with when she walked up. Her hair is the worst. But then is Jesse really considered a prize anyway?  Oh, I guess I drew a total blank when Jesse walked up too, so I guess they have a lot in common and belong together!

• Love 1

In light of some of us feeling that Zack came across as a bit dim with Clare, this old video* he and a buddy made is particularly comical, coupled with my reading that he got a full ride to USC and has a business and psychology degree. Why I have higher expectations from psych grads, that they should have a better grasp of human communication, behavior and such, when I've been proven mistaken many times. 

*a tongue in cheek how to meet girls--forgive me if I've overlooked rules against posting junk as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAPF9RKrsMQ

I know at least one "trust fund baby" who works his butt off at the same the shipyard Mr. Drawers does too.  He was in his crew.  Not all trust fund babies live super easy lives.  Some try to make it on their own.  

He could have sat back on the family laurels but he works hard and is learning all he can in order to run the shipyard in the way it should be.  Those "trust fund babies" I don't mind.  They work HARD.  But those who are related to the Hiltons, Trumps, Kartrashians?  NO!

Just because it's given to you doesn't mean you've EARNED it!

Edited by Shugardrawers
  • Love 2

In light of some of us feeling that Zack came across as a bit dim with Clare, this old video* he and a buddy made is particularly comical, coupled with my reading that he got a full ride to USC and has a business and psychology degree. Why I have higher expectations from psych grads, that they should have a better grasp of human communication, behavior and such, when I've been proven mistaken many times.

*a tongue in cheek how to meet girls--forgive me if I've overlooked rules against posting junk as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAPF9RKrsMQ

It was really bad and not funny I suffered til the end thinking it has to get better. It didn't. A full ride to USC? Athlete or academics? If academics, I am pissed I didn't grow up in California.

It was really bad and not funny I suffered til the end thinking it has to get better. It didn't. A full ride to USC? Athlete or academics? If academics, I am pissed I didn't grow up in California.

Baseball scholarship. Played pro ball for about five years.

I said comical because of the juxtaposition of him being shown as quiet and not the best communicator with Clare on BiP, and playing a more talkative and authoritative character type in the video, guy humor as it was.

Is white nail polish the fashionable color now?  I've seen at least two of the girls with white polish.

I was going to ask the same thing about the frosted, peachy-pink lipstick so many of the girls were wearing!

I  Think it's a summer beach thing -  to contrast with a deep tan, wear light pastel nails (though I think WHITE looks dumb), and also pale frosted lipstick.  

It seems like one of the requirements for this show was to be willing to risk sunburn and skin cancer, to sit around and bask in the sun all day every day.

Guess I'm in the minority, but I find Christy attractive.  Yes, her hair needs a little work.  But I find her face pretty and her chest (albeit fake) pretty amazing.  That sunburn though was pretty ridiculous.  How come she never addressed it in any of the interviews?  Did the producers forget to give her sunscreen?  I also was wondering why she didn't go after Zack once Clare left.  Zack just made a beeline to Jackie.  I guess he wasn't interested in Christy either?

So did Jesse (yuck) actually have a threesome with Christy and Lucy?  We saw in the previews that Lucy was taking her shorts off but it wasn't shown in the actual show.  Strange.

Sarah is all sorts of awkward.  Until she gets over the "no man will like me because I only have one arm", I think she's going to have trouble finding lasting love.  I wonder who her crush is that walks in next week.

From the preview it looked like

Brooks

, but maybe that's just what the editing monkeys want us to think.

Whoa, so glad I saw your spoiler tag because I assumed spoilers were talked about.  Reality Steve has everything mapped out.