Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Most Reckless Thing I've Ever Done

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

With rumors of a new Alaskan newspaper swirling, the team investigates their competition and what it means for the future of local news. Meanwhile, Eileen and Roz listen to Gloria’s final call and find their lead before an innocent man is put away.

Season finale

Original airdate 3/30/23

Well, if it is just one season, I'm glad I found the show (thanks, Hulu recommendations). 

Things felt a bit rushed towards the end with the LRS192 stuff.  It would have been an interesting cliffhanger to explore later, but I suppose the showrunners wanted to wrap things up as much as possible just in case.  Still, they've set things up for a second season if it is renewed.

The least surprising plot twist? The Pritchard patriarch being the one to try and muscle his son's newspaper out of town. 

I definitely did NOT cry when Silvie showed up at the newspaper, and the scenes honoring the dead loved ones afterwards.  Nope. 

• Like 11

Excellent! All tied up with a big red bow. I guess Eileen and Roz were so immersed in Gloria’s case they didn’t suspect that the buyout of the competition was Aaron’s father’s doing. No surprise there. I liked Aaron’s speech and their attitude at the end. I loved the whole premise/concept of the show. It’s a story that is sorely needed right now, and it’s a program to make the profession of journalism proud again (for those who never succumbed to the addiction of clickbait). If this doesn’t get another season, it’s sad, but at least it left us with a complete story. And I’m with Aaron-people want the facts, not biased, self-serving opinions, posing as truth. Maybe some other network or service will pick it up, as it’s certainly worthy.

• Like 15
  • Applause 1

Absolutely great TV.

This season was a story that absolutely needed to be told!

The set up for next season (fingers crossed) is excellent.  Another story that needs telling again and again.  We NEED responsible daily newspapers.  THey seem to be the only reliable sources of information.  I read more than one as I do want different slants, but that's just me.

Hoping we all reconvene for another season.

• Like 15
(edited)

Pritchard Sr. could win a petty contest. He wanted to sell the Daily because it wasn't making enough money. Now he's bought another paper for even more money just to get back at his son. What a ridiculous man.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 11
(edited)

A satisfying conclusion on Gloria Nanmac’s case. Sylvie can now start focusing on her cancer treatment.

What’s with the moody Bob?? Something to do with his wife’s condition?

I still have no idea what Jamie (the pilot poet) sees in Eileen. 😆

If this show is picked up for S2, I hope they put in efforts to avoid a mid-season long hiatus.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 7

A word about the underlying story on cell service/911 calls. When a 911 call center fields an incoming call from a landline, the address or location is printed on the screen, assuming the municipality has what's called an enhanced 911 system (not universal).  Easy enough.  If a cell call is received, however, the data is provided by direction and distance from cell towers.  I think it takes a minimum of three towers to get a good pinpoint.  In an area the size of Alaska, you will need literally hundreds, if not thousands, of cell towers scattered around to get the same coverage as populated areas of the continental US.  That's all well and good too, until you figure out how much it's going to cost to build and maintain that system.  I'll wager that a good many people outside the metro areas of Alaska moved there specifically to get away from tech and taxes, under the theme of "I can take care of myself", so they're not going to support increases in their bills.  So there you are.

• Like 5
  • Useful 6
11 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

I read more than one as I do want different slants, but that's just me.

See, it should be ALL of us, but ironically, in these surrealistic times, to listen to debate, form an independent opinion results in condemnation, name calling and worse. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

This was a very satisfying conclusion to the season. I don't really see it getting renewed, but honestly the best thing to come from this show would be actual reform in Alaskan politics. I have no idea if it even caused a blip on their radar, but I really hope so. 

• Like 9

I'd be open to Eileen being offscreen, perhaps investigating, for the first part of a new season. If a new season is delayed for too long, it may not happen.  And I want a second season, dammit!

• Like 5
  • Love 2

This was must see TV for me this year. Great writing, acting, directing, the whole works! An important main plot that needs to be known and the subject matter of daily papers and reporters...just the best. 

Please, ABC...a second season! You've had THE GOLDBERGS on three seasons past its prime, so one or two more seasons of AD might start to make up for it.

• Like 9

Many acting parents have their kids on set with them during filming.  No reason Hillary can't, if she wants to do drop in's, Skype calls from her own house, etc.  Plenty of ways to accommodate the lead characters.

THIS is good TV.  And along with "Will Trent",  slightly renewed my faith in ABC as a network to offer TWO very good, contemporary and well-acted shows this season.  I hope they both continue. 

These are stories that need to be told.  Enough with the dating shows, Real Housewives and game shows.   

• Like 14
  • Love 2

Plus it's not like Hilary Swank isn't going to hire a nanny for the twins.

If Hilary is not available or doesn't want to do a second season, the show could continue with a new lead actor to take her place and incorporate that into the show: Eileen Fitzgerald is gone, either temporarily or permanently, and here's our new reporter.

• Like 2

I, too really enjoyed this series. As mentioned upthread, reminded me of The Killing with a good story, good lead actors and a few red herrings.

Didn't love the long hiatus and some subplots, but so much better than anything I've seen on network TV this season. 

• Like 5

I think the ratings will be more of a problem than casting.  I agree they can always cast someone else if Swank isn't available, and there are plenty of stories to tell. But if the ratings aren't good, the network will can it regardless.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

What I really love about this show is seeing so many Indigenous people in one program. I'd like to see more of Roz's back story - some aspects of storylines with Indigenous characters that aren't just about MMIWG. Some Indigenous joy mixed in.

• Like 12
7 hours ago, threebluestars said:

What I really love about this show is seeing so many Indigenous people in one program. I'd like to see more of Roz's back story - some aspects of storylines with Indigenous characters that aren't just about MMIWG. Some Indigenous joy mixed in.

So do I. That's what drew me to the show.

• Like 2

A promising 1st season. I would like to have a 2nd one.
But I do not like the story of "big bad wolf" competition-newspaper that exists only to destroy Daily Alaskan.
Like I wasn't a big fan of the hostage episode. I  think low profile and not over-drama fits this show better.
So if they renew it I hope the other newspaper story will fade away.

• Like 5

I liked the show, but I can see that it may have run its course. 

I do appreciate shows that run a compelling story for a short season, and then end.

If this gets a second season, I will check it out.

• Like 2