Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Tell a Reporter Not to Do Something and Suddenly It's a Party

• Start Topic

As the team grapples with the incident’s aftermath, they support one another as the daily grind continues and bleak budgets loom for the paper. Meanwhile, new discoveries surrounding Gloria’s death highlight leads that could reclassify the case.

Original airdate 3/9/2023

• Useful 1

Why didn't Gabriel have to go to mandated counseling, too?

I'm confused by the twist with who was the DNA match. I don't remember that person.

I think I missed a scene or two somehow. Why was Gloria's mother in the hospital? And when did Helen and Eileen make up? I remember Helen saying they weren't friends and Eileen would not get notified about the DNA test, and then next thing, Eileen's saying they made up and Helen is calling her with the info.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm confused by the twist with who was the DNA match. I don't remember that person.

I think I missed a scene or two somehow. Why was Gloria's mother in the hospital? And when did Helen and Eileen make up? I remember Helen saying they weren't friends and Eileen would not get notified about the DNA test, and then next thing, Eileen's saying they made up and Helen is calling her with the info.

I think the DNA match kid was a friend of Gloria's maybe? I dunno. I saw him in the previews, but I can't remember exactly who he was, though he was familiar.

I think Helen was the lady at the desk that Eileen was initially asking about the DNA test toward the beginning of the episode (and they've crossed paths in previous episodes I think when Eileen was trying to get info). The lady who had the power to classify the death a homicide was not Helen (though I don't remember her name).

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

If the person who brought the wine asks for a “wine opener”, take the bottle from them, immediately.

Poor Gabriel. I certainly hope he reconsiders.

I do remember Gloria’s friend, a bit frustrated that she viewed him as only a friend.

Happy to see Jr. stand up to his father, but I don’t trust Dad. I need to go back and watch the earlier episode where the “secret road” scheme was revealed. I remember it had implications of real corruption (in league with the politician), and involved public lands, but I can’t remember what kind of illicit grab they were trying to make.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think I missed a scene or two somehow. Why was Gloria's mother in the hospital?

Gabriel should have gone to counseling, but maybe hadn't been forced to go yet because he wasn't coming back to work yet. Eileen's counseling was a condition of her coming back to work.

The DNA match was the guy who they met on the fishing boat. I had to look him up bc I had forgotten his name.

When we first met Sylvie she was in the hospital, so I assumed she went back for follow-up testing this time. I don't remember what her illness is.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
43 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

don't remember what her illness is.

She has cancer and has had treatment, the tests were hoping for remission, but apparently, that didn’t happen. She doesn’t want to die not knowing what happened to her daughter-no pressure for our investigators.

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 6

Definitely wonder why Gabriel didn't go to counseling as well, unless it was because he officially didn't come back yet.  I doubt he will be gone for good (unless they are writing the actor out for whatever reason), but I'm curious to see what will lead him to coming back.

Nice getting back to Gloria's case and watching Eileen and Roz interact again.  While she still has a bit of her edge, it did feel like Eileen was keeping herself a little more in check, so I do think the near death experience is at least making her treat her co-workers a little better which is nice.

Nice of Aaron to step up to his father and protect the paper, but I have a feeling this is far from over.  I suspect Daddy Pritchard isn't going to take this lying down.

So, after thinking that the creepy and abusive priest was the killer, it looks like the DNA matches that guy they had interviewed on the fishing boat episodes ago.  I imagine there will be a lot more twists and turns though!

• Like 8

I'm glad Eileen got counseling even though it was mandated. 

I'm sorry Gabriel's leaving and hope he changes his mind. Add me to the group who wonders why he wasn't getting counseling too. He clearly needs it. I liked that almost everyone showed up at his apartment with food and to comfort him. That was really nice. I'm glad Eileen didn't because that doesn't seem like something she would do. 

I'm glad they went back to Gloria's case and made progress. Seems a little too convenient that it's Toby. Hopefully, the pastor still gets in trouble for his abuse and whatever else he's hiding.

I liked how Roz handled Alice. She did a good job talking to her. Then at Gloria's grave with Gloria's mother. Both were very good scenes. I like that they haven't forgotten Gloria's mother.

I liked Aaron going against his father. Although his father's probably not going to let any of it go.

• Like 10

Nooooo Gabriel, please don't leave!

We heard about Toby Crenshaw in the pilot episode. We met him in episode 2. Roz bluntly asked if he killed Gloria, he denied it.

Yes, he is shady. But the reason they found his DNA on Gloria could be simple - they were more than friends. He goes off the radar, hiding in Kodiak, doesn't want to be found. This could be his guilt talking as he refused to pick her up from Skeeter's party on the night she went missing. Gloria was there looking for oxycodone for frostbite pain. Toby told Eileen and Roz not to use his name in their article because "they will find out". Who are THEY? This hasn't been explored.

Eileen and Roz have investigated Toby Crenshaw, Ezra Fisher, pastor Reed Gallahorn and now it circles back to Toby. It feels repetitive to a certain extent.

Gloria's injuries are consistent with an assault - skull fractures, lacerations and contusions. They shouldn't rule out pastor Reed Gallahorn yet, not with his history.

• Like 9

With respect to the newspaper ownership, it sounded like Daddy wanted Son to commit to not exposing his corrupt land deal as a condition of selling him the newspaper. I hope that Son agreeing to that was not a deal he'd really stick to, and that he'd still report it. It seems to me that it's not an enforceable kind of agreement. But I'm also skeptical that this is the end of that story, that Dad will really let him have the paper, and that the handshake takes "newspaper in peril" off the table.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

With respect to the newspaper ownership, it sounded like Daddy wanted Son to commit to not exposing his corrupt land deal as a condition of selling him the newspaper. I hope that Son agreeing to that was not a deal he'd really stick to, and that he'd still report it. It seems to me that it's not an enforceable kind of agreement. But I'm also skeptical that this is the end of that story, that Dad will really let him have the paper, and that the handshake takes "newspaper in peril" off the table.

I believe that was the agreement. The head editor had been holding that as a bargaining chip so I guess no one feels that this petty level of corruption is a hill worth dying for at the moment. Live to rise up again.

What I am wondering is how the son can possibly publish what is a money losing vanity paper without having the serious money of his family - i.e father. At this point both The Washington Post and Los Angeles Times are owned by billionaires who view them as a form of public service. The New York Times is chiefly owned by the Sulzberger Trust and if it doesn't actually make money, I would suspect that it at least breaks even since it is the closest thing to a national newspaper we have. When I moved to Los Angeles years ago, I was able to get it delivered to my door every morning. At this point I just subscribe digitally because who needs all that paper anyway. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, amarante said:

how the son can possibly publish what is a money losing vanity paper

It’s a point, (not sure what you mean by ‘vanity paper’) but outside Anchorage, I would imagine print is still highly popular. Connectivity can’t be cheap, and certainly can’t be reliable. If someone actually took charge of distribution, sales, and marketing, I’m sure he can make it work. 

• Like 2

The one thing I liked in this episode was that Eileen was honest with her shrink. I know that she's all about truth, but as we know, TV writers usually like to show protagonists being super macho when it comes to the aftermath of traumatic experiences.

I was pleasantly surprised when Eileen stated that she hadn't been sleeping well and couldn't concentrate but claimed to be fine, after all, she'd already been embedded in Afghanistan. When the doctor talked about PTSD and mentioned insomnia and panic attacks as symptoms, I didn't expect Eileen to let that sink in and then admit to having had a panic attack on the flight to Alaska. 

That was about it with this episode for me. The investigation gets more twisted and unless characters are memorable, I don't strain myself to keep up. The months-long absence of this show didn't help, either. I don't know how much longer I will continue to be a viewer. 

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Daff said:

It’s a point, (not sure what you mean by ‘vanity paper’) but outside Anchorage, I would imagine print is still highly popular. Connectivity can’t be cheap, and certainly can’t be reliable. If someone actually took charge of distribution, sales, and marketing, I’m sure he can make it work. 

A vanity project or business is something that rich people indulge in because it makes them feel good in some way as opposed to a business that makes money. Purchasing a newspaper like Bezos (Washington Post) or the LA Times (Patrick Soon-Shiong) is an example. They are of course businesses but they aren't profitable ones but the prestige attached to owning this kind of prestigious business is high. There are other ways vanity projects can be used - for example, if a studio wants a star to make a big box office movie, they will often agree to fund the actor's "vanity project" which is not expected to make money.

I don't know what the internet capabilities are in Alaska but the Alaska Daily on the show has a strong web presence as it has been a plot point in various episodes. It would certainly be easier for people to access internet versions than to deliver *real* newspapers every morning

My reference to The NY Times was to illustrate that it is a bit sui generis as it is the closest thing we have in the USA to a true paper of national record although it is a bit of a hybrid because it is closely held by the Sulzberger family although I suspect it at least breaks even.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, amarante said:

A vanity project or business is something that rich people indulge in because it makes them feel good in some way as opposed to a business that makes money. Purchasing a newspaper like Bezos (Washington Post) or the LA Times (Patrick Soon-Shiong) is an example. They are of course businesses but they aren't profitable ones but the prestige attached to owning this kind of prestigious business is high. There are other ways vanity projects can be used - for example, if a studio wants a star to make a big box office movie, they will often agree to fund the actor's "vanity project" which is not expected to make money.

I don't know what the internet capabilities are in Alaska but the Alaska Daily on the show has a strong web presence as it has been a plot point in various episodes. It would certainly be easier for people to access internet versions than to deliver *real* newspapers every morning

My reference to The NY Times was to illustrate that it is a bit sui generis as it is the closest thing we have in the USA to a true paper of national record although it is a bit of a hybrid because it is closely held by the Sulzberger family although I suspect it at least breaks even.

I don't think the son buying the paper is totally a vanity project though. I think the son believes keeping the paper running is a valuable service to the people of Alaska and thinks he can make it work. 

Even though they talk about the Alaska Daily as a "paper" they seem mostly focused on the web side. I don't even remember hearing them talk about or showing a printed version. My understanding was if the Alaska Daily sold to the company planning to buy it, the web presence would go away, and that is what they were trying to save.

• Like 7
23 hours ago, amarante said:

When I moved to Los Angeles years ago, I was able to get it delivered to my door every morning

Same here (except Tampa).  My friends would make fun of me because that was my favorite thing to do: reading the paper from cover to cover.  Now the Tampa Bay Times only publishes a paper copy twice a week which I still read cover to cover but on the five days it publishes electronically I usually give it a pass (and yes, I'm an old fart!👴)

• Love 2
19 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I don't think the son buying the paper is totally a vanity project though. I think the son believes keeping the paper running is a valuable service to the people of Alaska and thinks he can make it work. 

Even though they talk about the Alaska Daily as a "paper" they seem mostly focused on the web side. I don't even remember hearing them talk about or showing a printed version. My understanding was if the Alaska Daily sold to the company planning to buy it, the web presence would go away, and that is what they were trying to save.

People who bought the LA Times, Washington Post and The NY Times also believe in the value of a strong free press. The motto of The Washington Post - on the top of the front page and on the website it reads - Democracy Dies In Darkness - which is essentially the reason for a free press. Bezos could have used the money for far more lucrative enterprises if he didn't want to be part of an important and prestigious institution.

I wasn't using the term "vanity project" pejoratively but rather in the sense that it could only operate by someone with enormous wealth who had money to spare and could afford to subsidize the undertaking. It is just like vanity projects in terms of film projects - generally they are much more interesting and worthwhile than standard block busters and they are the passion of the actor or director which is why they are willing to negotiate them in exchange for working on a silly movie.

Who knows if the son can make it work - the reality is that most small newspapers can't and are folding or being sold to bland conglomerates. 

Which is the whole point because the small papers can't afford to pay for real investigative reporting for the most part. 

Edited by amarante
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
37 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

Same here (except Tampa).  My friends would make fun of me because that was my favorite thing to do: reading the paper from cover to cover.  Now the Tampa Bay Times only publishes a paper copy twice a week which I still read cover to cover but on the five days it publishes electronically I usually give it a pass (and yes, I'm an old fart!👴)

Reading the LA Times, Washington Post and NY Times in the morning is still my ritual only now I do it digitally with subscriptions.

It is wonderful to be able to have all of the articles accessible in ten seconds from the past as I no longer have to attempt to save article I don't have time to read fully.

The NY Times has something called the Time Machine which enables you to see an article in the PDF form when it was first published. What is especially wonderful is that the entire page is printed along with ads that ran - it is essentially a PDF of the page. It is an incredible time sink but gives a great idea of social context 

• Like 3
On 3/12/2023 at 2:00 PM, HerkyJerky said:

That used to be my favorite thing to do on Saturdays as I ate breakfast and watched cartoons reading the paper. I always ready the Lifestyle section, reading the wedding announcements, the new movies released, and then the comics. Unless it was the Olympics then I'd start with that section.

• Like 2
On 3/12/2023 at 7:30 AM, Daff said:

I would imagine print is still highly popular. Connectivity can’t be cheap, and certainly can’t be reliable. If someone actually took charge of distribution, sales, and marketing, I’m sure he can make it work. 

It's getting harder and harder to get copies, even when you want them. My parents have subscribed to multiple suburban Philadelphia papers, as well as the large Philadelphia Inquirer, for decades. But in recent years getting these papers delivered, even the Inquirer, is a nightmare. The papers can't get drivers to work the routes, there are fewer customers who want copies, and there is no customer service at all (as most papers have outsourced and/or don't have phone numbers). It's hard for me to believe that it's easier to get a paper delivered in rural Alaska than the well-populated Philly burbs. 

I like this show, but I have absolutely no idea what is going on with the Gloria Namnac case at this point - and I even watched the first batch of episodes all at once off my DVR in January. Toby who? Who is Helen? What happened to Gloria the night she died? Why is her mother sick? This episode needed a good recap at the beginning, or even better, even a scene in which Eileen and Roz recapped everything they knew up till that point.

That 4-month hiatus will likely kill this show, unfortunately. Stupid choice by TPB at ABC.

• Like 5
On 3/10/2023 at 11:32 AM, Daff said:

If the person who brought the wine asks for a “wine opener”, take the bottle from them, immediately.

Poor Gabriel. I certainly hope he reconsiders.

I do remember Gloria’s friend, a bit frustrated that she viewed him as only a friend.

Happy to see Jr. stand up to his father, but I don’t trust Dad. I need to go back and watch the earlier episode where the “secret road” scheme was revealed. I remember it had implications of real corruption (in league with the politician), and involved public lands, but I can’t remember what kind of illicit grab they were trying to make.

If this was a different show,  Aaron would have killed his father or hired someone to do it. Lol At this point I'm just watching to finish it because I don't see it getting an S2. 

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

I like this show, but I have absolutely no idea what is going on with the Gloria Namnac case at this point - and I even watched the first batch of episodes all at once off my DVR in January. Toby who? Who is Helen? What happened to Gloria the night she died? Why is her mother sick? This episode needed a good recap at the beginning, or even better, even a scene in which Eileen and Roz recapped everything they knew up till that point.

That 4-month hiatus will likely kill this show, unfortunately. Stupid choice by TPB at ABC.

I think they really shot themselves in the foot with the long break.  Momentum was lost, viewers don't remember the storyline details and coming back with the wrap up of the needless cliffhanger wasted even more time because we all knew Eileen would survive the hostage situation.

Now Gabriel is not returning to the paper.  Getting out before they're cancelled!

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

It's getting harder and harder to get copies, even when you want them.

I hear what you’re saying, and I imagine connectivity in Philly is just grand. Alaska is not Philadelphia, however. That was actually my point. What works in the lower 48 is exponentially more difficult in the hostile wilderness that is Alaska.

10 hours ago, Daff said:

I hear what you’re saying, and I imagine connectivity in Philly is just grand. Alaska is not Philadelphia, however. That was actually my point. What works in the lower 48 is exponentially more difficult in the hostile wilderness that is Alaska

I'm definitely not disputing the connectivity issue, but you're making my point: it's probably also a lot harder to get physical carriers in the hostile wilderness of Alaska too, given that it is working less and less in the lower 48, where there is a larger population to draw from for hiring and a more compressed service area. Probably print IS popular, especially with older folks, but that doesn't mean they're easily able to obtain copies anymore.

On 3/11/2023 at 5:07 AM, chediavolo said:

I’m out. Either this show is going downhill fast or I’ve been watching so many higher quality shows since they took all that time off, that this amateur feeling writing/acting doesn’t cut it. 

I don’t know what happened, but the five-month break certainly didn’t help this show. I’m having trouble staying interested. Hilary Swank is pregnant right? Eileen looks heavier and is always wearing a coat. 

I was interested in this show first (I grew up in Anchorage and worked for the Anchorage Daily News), but it’s losing me now. I have a hard time warming to Eileen and the other characters aren’t compelling. I don’t know. I’m having trouble putting my finger on what’s missing. 

• Like 2
On 3/12/2023 at 2:57 PM, possibilities said:

I'm frustrated by not remembering where the investigation into the central murder case left off before the hiatus. I was in fact following it until then, but now I have forgotten a lot of it. 

Same! At the end when they said it's "Toby Crenshaw" I'm thinking who's that?  

On 3/16/2023 at 11:10 AM, Moxie Cat said:

I agree whoever decided to have a 4-month break should be fired. However, I think ABC wanted the show to fail.   

On 3/12/2023 at 8:18 AM, mojito said:

The one thing I liked in this episode was that Eileen was honest with her shrink. I know that she's all about truth, but as we know, TV writers usually like to show protagonists being super macho when it comes to the aftermath of traumatic experiences.

I was pleasantly surprised when Eileen stated that she hadn't been sleeping well and couldn't concentrate but claimed to be fine, after all, she'd already been embedded in Afghanistan. When the doctor talked about PTSD and mentioned insomnia and panic attacks as symptoms, I didn't expect Eileen to let that sink in and then admit to having had a panic attack on the flight to Alaska. 

I liked that too! Most shows would have had Eileen not open up to the shrink. I do really like the show; it doesn't have all this forced "drama": If this was a Shonda Lynn Rhimes show:  Eileen and the editor would always be fighting, there would be a love triangle in the office, Eileen would be sleeping with the Boss Aaron, Eileen and Roz would still be refusing to work together, and everyone would be making out and sleeping with their love interest at the workplace and hoping not to get caught. 

ETA: Not saying that there's anything wrong with Shonda Lynn Rhimes shows, I'm just a bit tired of everyone on shows not acting like normal adults.... Or maybe I just haven't work in exciting enough places where all this drama actually happens. 🙂

Edited by Fireball
  • Like 8

My big problem is that I've never been a Hilary Swank fan.  I know she's got all kinds of awards, but to me her acting seems one-note.  Can't explain it.  On this show, I like all the rest of the newspaper staff 10xs more than her. 

The only thing I've seen her in, besides this, is "Boys Don't Cry" which came out in 1999. She played Brandon Teena, and that character was WAAAAAAY different than Eileen. I don't know what she's been doing since then, but because of that role, I at least know she has it in her to seem extremely different than here. It might be about what she's getting cast in, more than her potential as an actor, if she's looking the same in more recent roles.