Type keyword(s) to search

PBS: Viewers Like You. Thank You.

• Start Topic

Highlights/Premieres for January 2023:

Independent Lens: "Children of Las Brisas" (Venezuelan youth orchestra), Jan 2; "The Big Payback" (debate about reparations to Black Americans in Illinois), Jan 16; "No Straight Lines" (queer comics artists), Jan 23; "The Picture Taker" (civil rights photographer Ernest Withers), Jan 30

American Experience: "The Lie Detector" (history of polygraph), Jan 3; "Zora Neale Hurston: Claiming a Space" (about acclaimed author), Jan 17

Frontline: "Global Spyware Scandal: Exposing Pegasus" (Israeli hacking tool used by governments to spy on citizens), 2 parts, Jan 3 & 10; "Putin and the Presidents" (how various US presidents misjudged Putin), Jan 31

"First Contact: An Alien Encounter" (scripted drama with faux-documentary elements), Jan 4

Masterpiece (scripted): "Miss Scarlet and the Duke, Season 3", premieres Jan 8; "All Creatures Great and Small, Season 3", premieres Jan 8

"Codeswitching: Race and Identity in the Suburban Schoolhouse", Jan 9

POV: "I Didn't See You There" (history of invisibility of disabled), Jan 9

"Water of Life" (Scotland's revived whiskey industry), Jan 14

Nature: "Wildheart" (Scotland's Scots Pine Tree), Jan 18; "Soul of the Ocean", Jan 25

American Masters: "Roberta Flack", Jan 24

Next at the Kennedy Center: "Episode 3: The Roots Residency" (about legendary hip hop group), Jan 27

"Fight the Power: How Hip Hop Changed America", 4 episode doc series, premieres Jan 31

Be sure to check your local listings

• Like 1

FYI, The TV Critics Association is having their annual Winter press tour this week and next and PBS will be presenting their upcoming new shows next Monday and Tuesday. I'll post a schedule and associated stuff when PBS does

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Highlights for February:

Note that the State of the Union is February 7, so some things have been moved around or compressed and other things might have been preempted for the month

Nova: "London Super Tunnel", Feb 1; "Star Chasers of Senegal" (the country's history of astronomy), Feb 8; "Ancient Builders of the Amazon", Feb 15; "New Eye on the Universe" (abt the James Webb telescope's findings), Feb 22

Independent Lens: "Outta the Muck" (resilience of Black Florida town), Feb 6; "Love in the Time of Fentanyl" (about safe injection site in Canada), Feb 13

Nature: "Dogs in the Wild", 3 parts, Feb 8, 15, 22

"Fight the Power: How Hip Hop Changed America", Part 2 Feb 14, Parts 3 & 4, Feb 21

Frontline: "Ukraine: Life Under Russia's Attack", Feb 14

American Experience: "Ruthless: Monopoly's Secret History" (about the board game), Feb 20

Great Performances: "The Magic of Spirituals" (abt famous 1990 concert), Feb 24

"Black Broadway: A Proud History, A Limitless Future" (concert special celebrating Black artists), Feb 28

Sunday scripted: "Miss Scarlet and the Duke", Season 3; "All Creatures Great and Small", Season 3; "Vienna Blood", Season 3. All with their last few episodes of their present seasons

Check your local listings of course

• Useful 1
On 1/24/2023 at 1:14 PM, DanaK said:

"Fight the Power: How Hip Hop Changed America", Part 2 Feb 14, Parts 3 & 4, Feb 21

Correction, this should be "Fight the Power: How Hip Hop Changed the World"

7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm really annoyed that my local PBS organization is only running Jamaica Inn on MPT2.  Not everybody gets it - I certainly don't.  Hopefully they'll run it on the regular MPT station after February is over.

Can you get it on Passport? Who is your tv provider? Mine is Verizon Fios - I get MPT2.

20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Can you get it on Passport? Who is your tv provider? Mine is Verizon Fios - I get MPT2.

I've never used Passport, but I'm an MPT member so I think I have access.  I'll try that.  Unfortunately my level of Directv service does not include MPT2.

• Sad 1

Highlights for March 2023. Note that it seems to be pledge month at 2 of my PBS stations (WETA and MPT) so the month is fairly light for original programming. Definitely check your local listings

Great Performances: "Remember This" (starring David Strathairn as a WWII Polish resistance fighter), March 13

Frontline: "Age of Easy Money" (the role of the Federal Reserve's "easy money" policies from the "Great Recession" to the current rise in inflation), March 14

"T-Rex: An Evolutionary Journey", March 15

Scripted Sundays: "Call the Midwife" (Season 12), "Masterpiece: Sanditon" (Season 3), "Marie Antoinette" (Season 1), all premiering March 19

Independent Lens: "Storming Caesar's Palace" (abt Las Vegas activist Ruby Duncan who challenged the notion of "welfare queen"), March 20; "Hidden Letters" (Chinese women keep secret language that's just for women alive), March 27

American Masters: "Dr. Tony Fauci", March 21; "In the Making" (spotlights 2 performers breaking down barriers in country and opera), March 24

American Experience: "The Movement and the Madman" (how antiwar protestors accidentally derailed Nixon's plans for massive escalation of the Vietnam War in 1969), March 28

The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song: Joni Mitchell, March 31

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 1

Highlights for April (check your local listings):

"La Frontera with Pati Jinich, Season 2" (food and culture in the border states at the Southern border), 3 episodes, premieres April 3

American Experience: "The Sun Queen" (forgotten female solar energy pioneer), premieres April 4

Frontline: "America and the Taliban" (missteps and consequences of America's 20 year war in Afghanistan), 3 parts, premieres April 4

Great Performances: "Now Hear This, Season 4", 4 episodes, premieres April 7

"My Grandparents' War, Season 2"; 4 episodes, premieres April 11

Nature: "The Hummingbird Effect" (Costa Rica's hummingbirds), April 12; "Treasure of the Caribbean" (about 2013 discovery of uncharted coral reef), April 26

Nova: "Weathering the Future" (dramatic ways in which our weather is changing), April 12; "Chasing Carbon Zero", April 26

Next at the Kennedy Center: "Ballet Hispanico's Dona Peron", April 14; "Jason Moran and Christine McBride", April 21

Independent Lens: "Free Chol Soo Lee", April 24

"Iconic America: Our Symbols and Stories with David Rubenstein", 8 episodes, premiering April 26

Scripted: Masterpiece: "Tom Jones"; 4 episodes, premiering April 30

• Useful 2

Highlights for May (check your local listings):

Independent Lens: "Matter of Mind/My ALS" (3 people with ALS confront complex choices), May 1; "Sam Now" (about man whose mother abandoned family), May 8; "Silent Beauty" (woman healing from sexual abuse), May 15

Nature: "Attenborough's Wonder of Song" (most remarkable animal songs), May 3

Nova: "Saving the Right Whale" (saving critically endangered whale species), May 3; "Hidden Volcano Abyss" (investigates 2022 Tonga eruption), May 10; "Your Brain" (2 parts, understanding how your brain shapes reality), May 17 & 24

Frontline: "Clarence and Ginni Thomas: Politics, Power and the Supreme Court", May 9; "America's Dangerous Trucks", May 30

"Wild Scandinavia" (3 episodes), starting May 10

American Masters: "Nam June Paik: Moon Is the Oldest TV" (about famous contemporary artist), May 16

"Fanny: The Right to Rock" (about first all-women band to release an album on a major record label in 1970), May 22

"National Memorial Day Concert", May 28

Scripted: Great Performances: "Richard III" (free Shakespeare in the Park production, with actress Danai Gurira in the lead role), May 19

Also, one streaming program to note: Sometime in May, PBS will stream "Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland" a 5-part documentary series from BBC2 in the UK about various people who lived through the decades-long conflict known as "The Troubles". It will be shown on PBS.org and the PBS app. No information at this time if it will be shown on linear PBS. More info https://pressroom.pbs.org/programs/o/once-upon-a-time-in-northern-ireland

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 4/28/2023 at 1:49 PM, DanaK said:

Frontline: "Clarence and Ginni Thomas: Politics, Power and the Supreme Court", May 9; "America's Dangerous Trucks", May 30

Update: It looks like the Trucks doc has been moved to June and the doc "After Uvalde: Guns, Grief & Texas Politics" will be shown on the 30th. Also, Frontline doc "Once Upon a Time in Fallujah" will be shown on the 23rd

Regarding the streaming 5 part doc series "Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland", it looks like that will drop on May 22

Edited by DanaK
(edited)
On 5/4/2023 at 2:19 PM, DanaK said:

Regarding the streaming 5 part doc series "Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland", it looks like that will drop on May 22

Good news, this will also be broadcast on linear PBS in late August https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/once-upon-a-time-in-northern-ireland-streaming-launch/

The topic has been set up here https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/138852-once-upon-a-time-in-northern-ireland/

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 1
On 4/28/2023 at 10:49 AM, DanaK said:

Independent Lens: "Matter of Mind/My ALS" (3 people with ALS confront complex choices), May 1; "Sam Now" (about man whose mother abandoned family), May 8; "Silent Beauty" (woman healing from sexual abuse), May 15

Thank you for your posting of upcoming PBS shows. Because of your mentions I follow up and set my recorder to tape shows that sound interesting. Otherwise I might have missed a show like "Sam Now" which was so heart wrenching and touching. I would highly recommend it to anyone to catch on a replay or a stream if possible.

There are other shows that I've watched and enjoyed only because your informative posts have given me a heads up, so thank you.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, shok said:

Thank you for your posting of upcoming PBS shows. Because of your mentions I follow up and set my recorder to tape shows that sound interesting. Otherwise I might have missed a show like "Sam Now" which was so heart wrenching and touching. I would highly recommend it to anyone to catch on a replay or a stream if possible.

There are other shows that I've watched and enjoyed only because your informative posts have given me a heads up, so thank you.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate that

• Like 1

Highlights for June:

American Masters: "Little Richard: King and Queen of Rock 'n' Roll", June 2

"Buffalo Soldiers: Fighting on Two Fronts" (the often contradictory role played by Black soldiers throughout American history), June 12

Frontline: "America's Dangerous Trucks", June 13; "Inside the Iranian Uprising" (about the recent protests), June 27

"The Great American Recipe, Season 2", 8 episodes, premieres June 19

Independent Lens: "Mama Bears" (Evangelical mothers protecting their LGBTQ+ kids), June 20

"Below the Belt: The Last Health Taboo" (through the lens of endometriosis, looks at widespread problems in the US healthcare system that disproportionately affect women), June 21

POV: "After Sherman" (how systemic racism has affected generations in the South), June 26

American Experience: "Casa Susanna" (refuge for transgender women and cross-dressing men in the 50s and 60s), June 27

Scripted: "Masterpiece: Ridley", 8 episodes, Sundays, premieres June 18

As always, check your local listings

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 5/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I just read that Downton Abbey is returning to TV. Can this be true? Be still my heart!!

Maybe. I’m not sure it’s a done deal yet

• Useful 1
On 5/20/2023 at 7:31 AM, shok said:

Agreed!  Sam Now was really good, and the Clarence Thomas documentary was interesting. 

• Like 1

Highlights for July:

POV: "A Story of Bones" (the UK's disturbing colonial past and present), July 3; "Liquor Store Dreams" (past and current struggles for equality for Korean Americans), Jul 10; "A House Made of Splinters" (children living in a Ukrainian shelter), July 17; "Eat Your Catfish" (family grappling with loved one with ALS), July 24

"A Capitol Fourth" (holiday concert), July 4

"Human Footprint, Season 1" (the many ways humans have transformed the planet), 6 episodes, premieres July 5

Frontline: "McConnell, the GOP & the Courts", Jul 11

"Iconic America" series resumes after a break of a few months on July 11 for its last 4 episodes of Season 1

"Southern Storytellers, Season 1" series (explores Southern identity through contemporary creatives), 3 episodes, premieres July 18

Scripted (from UK): "Masterpiece: Grantchester, Season 9", premieres July 9; "D.I. Ray, Season 1", 4 episodes, premieres July 9 with the finale on July 30

Continuing in July: "Great American Recipe, Season 2"

• Useful 2
On 6/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, DanaK said:

"D.I. Ray, Season 1", 4 episodes, premieres July 9 with the finale on July 30

I saw the listings for this in my MPT guide and wasn't overwhelmingly thrilled with the description, but now seeing the cast involved, I have higher expectations for it.  Hope it lives up to them.

(edited)
On 6/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, DanaK said:

Frontline: "McConnell, the GOP & the Courts", Jul 11

Note, this apparently has been changed to "Putin's Crisis", about how Putin has reached the crisis he's in after the recent mutiny. The McConnell story will likely be seen at a later time. Check your local listings of course

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 1

Highlights for new programming in August (it's pretty barren):

Frontline: "Inside the Iranian Uprising" (August 8)

"Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland" - as previously stated this doc series makes its debut this month, specifically August 28-30. How the 5 parter is doled out among these 3 nights may differ among local affiliates; WETA is showing Part 1 on the 28th, Part 2 & 3 on the 29th and Part 4& 5 on the 30th

Several already airing doc series will have their final episodes this month, including Iconic America, Human Footprint and The Great American Recipe (Season 2)

As usual, check your local listings as there are probably repeats you've missed

• Like 1

Highlights for September:

POV: "While We Watched" (about a newsroom in crisis), September 4; "Bulls and Saints" (story about reverse migration), Sep 18; "Uyra: The Rising Forest" (about activists in Brazil), Sep 25

Frontline: "Two Strikes/Tutweiler" (2 stories, one about a West Point grad who got life in prison and the other about pregnant women in prision), Sep 5; "Putin vs the Press" (about a journalist's war on the Putin regime), Sep 26

"America Outdoors with Baratunde Thurston, Season 2" (6 episodes), premieres Sep 6

"Evolution Earth" (about how animals are adapting to a changing world, 5 episodes), premieres Sep 6

American Masters: "Bella! This Woman's Place is in the House" (about late Congresswoman and activist Bella Abzug), Sep 8; "Jerry Brown: The Disruptor" (about former California governor and activist), Sep 15; "Floyd Abrams: Speaking Freely" (about celebrated First Amendment lawyer), Sep 22; "A Song for Cesar" (about labor activist Cesar Chavez), Sep 29

American Experience: "The Busing Battleground" (abt trying to integrate schools via busing in Boston), Sep 11; "The Harvest" (Leland Mississippi's attempts to integrate its schools), Sep 12

"Becoming Frida Kohlo" (UK doc series about celebrated Mexican artist; 3 episodes), premieres Sep 19

Independent Lens: "Sanson and Me" (friendship between 2 Mexican migrants), Sep 19

Scripted, all premiering Sunday, Sep 3: "Professor T, Series 2", "Masterpiece: Unforgotten, Series 5", "Masterpiece: Van der Valk, Series 3"

Also, "Power Trip: The Story of Energy, Season 2" premieres in September. Your local PBS stations may or may not show it on one of their linear channels, but it's available on PBS.org as of September 1

As usual, check your local listings

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Did anyone get the American Master Bella Abzug episode in their area? It seems like my stations dropped it in favor of a Rita Moreno repeat, so it's possible it's being delayed and rescheduled for a later time

New programming highlights for October:

POV: "Murders That Matter" (how a victim of violence transforms into a fierce advocate), October 2; "Aurora's Sunrise" (reviving Armenian Genocide survivor's lost Hollywood story), Oct 23; "Fire Through the Dry Grass", Oct 30

Frontline: "The Astro's Edge: Triumph and Scandal in Major League Baseball", Oct 3; "Elon Musk's Twitter Takeover", Oct 10; "McConnell, the GOP & the Courts", Oct 31

Nova: "Ancient Earth" (from birth to emergence of humans, 5 parts), premieres Oct 4

American Masters: "Max Roach: The Drum Also Waltzes" (about legendary drummer), Oct 6

Independent Lens: "El Equipo" (collaboration that changed forensic science), Oct 9

Secrets of the Dead: "The Sunken Basilica", Oct 11; "Jurassic Fortune" (world of dinosaur fossil collecting), Oct 18; "Eiffel's Race to the Top" (the race to build Paris' most famous landmark), Oct 25

Next at the Kennedy Center, Season 2: "Episode 1: Robert Glasper's 'Black Radio'" (discussion of 10th anniversary of award-winning revolutionary album), Oct 13; "Episode 2: Embracing Duality: Modern Indigenous Culture", Oct 20

"The American Buffalo" (fall and rise of the animal), 2 parts, by Ken Burns, Oct 16 and 17

Nature: "The Platypus Guardian" (Tasmanian man learns about the animal), Oct 18; "Spy in the Ocean", 4 parts, premiering Oct 25

"Native America, Season 2" (explores beauty and power of contemporary Indian Country), 4 episodes, premieres Oct 24

American Experience: "War on Disco" (rise of Disco and the backlash that tried to destroy it), Oct 30

Scripted shows:

"Hotel Portofino, Season 2", Oct 15; "Masterpiece: World on Fire, Season 2", Oct 15; "Masterpiece: Annika, Season 2", Oct 15

"Marriage", from the BBC, 4 episodes, starring Sean Bean, will be shown on at least some PBS stations starting Oct 5

"Little Bird", Canadian drama, 6 episodes, premieres Oct 19 on at least some PBS stations

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Highlights for November:

Secrets of the Dead: "Death in Britannia" (the only death by crucifixion found in Britain), Nov 1; "Princes in the Tower" (mystery of the 2 princes who went missing from the Tower of London), Nov 22

"Little Bird: Coming Home" (doc about the movement for indigenous sovereignty), Nov 1

Independent Lens: "Three Chaplains" (the challenges of 3 US Muslim Chaplains), Nov 6; "A Town Called Victoria" (about mosque burned down in Texas town and fallout), 3 parts, Nov 13 and 14

Nova: "Inside China's Tech Boom", Nov 8; "The Battle to Beat Malaria", Nov 15; "Lee and Liza's Family Tree" (Black family searches their genealogy), Nov 22

"Salute to Service: A Veteran's Day Celebration", Nov 10

"The Earthshot Prize 2023", Nov 12

Great Performances: "Making Shakespeare: The First Folio" (celebrating 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's published works), Nov 17

POV: "Wisdom Gone Wild" (filmmaker and her Nisei mother in the shadow of dementia), Nov 20

"Groundbreakers" (8 female sports icons discuss impact of Title IX), Nov 21

Frontline: "20 Days in Mariupol" (Battle in Ukrainian city), Nov 21

A repeat of note: given world events, Frontline is rerunning their 2002 doc "Shattered Dreams of Peace: The Road from Oslo", Nov 7

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

New programming highlights for December:

"Agatha Christie: Lucy Worsley on the Mystery Queen", 3 parts, premiering December 3

Frontline:

"Inside the Uvalde Response", Dec 5;

"Discord Leaks" (how guardsman allegedly leaked classified info on Discord), Dec 12;

"Netanyahu, America and the Road to War in Gaza", Dec 19

POV: "How to Have an American Baby" (about shadow economy catering to pregnant Chinese tourists to US), Dec 11

"America at a Crossroads with Judy Woodruff" (explores the forces driving Americans apart), Dec 19

"Mary Berry's Highland Christmas" (BBC special on Scottish dishes), Dec 19

As always and especially this month, check your local listings as there is a lot of Christmas programming and other holiday specials and repeats this month

• Useful 1
On 10/31/2023 at 4:28 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

I thought the Disco documentary was somewhat one sided.  Was racism and homophobia an element of "Disco Sucks", yes.  But there wasn't an R&B sucks or Soul sucks movement.  Elton John and Queen were popular. 

My feeling is that it was the above mixed with big backlash from rock musicians and fan who were losing out because Disco was so popular

• Useful 1

Highlights for January:

American Masters: "Hopper" (abt realist artist Edward Hopper), Jan 2

"A Citizen's Guide to Preserving Democracy", Jan 2

"A Cost of Inheritance: An America Reframed Special" (complex issues of reparations), Jan 8

Independent Lens: "Beyond Utopia" (families fleeing North Korean repression), Jan 9; "Racist Trees" (Black neighborhood fights to remove wall of trees), Jan 22: "Razing Liberty Square" (Miami public housing hurt by climate gentrification), Jan 29

Nature: "Big Little Journeys" (abt 6 tiny insects, 3 episodes), premieres Jan 10; "Gorilla" (Gabon's National Park gorillas), Jan 31

POV: "Brief Tender Light" (profiles 6 African students at MIT), Jan 15

American Experience: "Nazi Town, USA" (about German Bund, 1930s organization of American Nazis), Jan 23

Frontline: "Israel's Second Front" (forces in the region beyond Hamas), Jan 23; "Democracy on Trial" (roots of the charges against former President Trump), Jan 30

Nature: "When Whales Could Walk" (new info on how whales evolved), Jan 31

Scripted (all British):

"Miss Scarlet and the Duke, Season 4", premieres Jan 7

"Masterpiece: All Creatures Great and Small, Season 4", premieres Jan 7

"Funny Woman, Season 1", premieres Jan 7

As usual, check your local listings

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Highlights for February:

Independent Lens: "Sister Una Lived a Good Death" (nun w/cancer teaches to live fully), Feb 5; "Breaking the News" (digital news startup by underrepresented groups), Feb 19

Nature: "Flyways" (shorebirds' mysterious migration), Feb 7; "David Attenborough and the Jurrassic Sea Monster", Feb 14; "Patrick and the Whale" (whale scientist's encounter with sperm whale), Feb 21

Nova: "Easter Island Origins", Feb 7; "Hunt for the Oldest DNA", Feb 21

"Gospel Live! Presented by Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr" (concert tied to Gospel series), Feb 9

"Gospel" (explores history of gospel music), Monday Feb 12 & Tuesday Feb 13

American Experience: "Fly with Me" (history of pioneering female stewardesses), Feb 20

Great Performances: "George Jones: Still Playin' Possum" (all star tribute concert), Feb 23

Be sure to check you local listings. February is Black History Month so there will be a lot of repeat programming about Black artists and stories

• Like 1

FYI, the TV Critics semi-annual press tour is happening this week and next and PBS will take their turn next Monday Feb 12. I'll post interesting stuff when it gets announced

• Useful 1
(edited)

I overlooked a new program episode for February: "Nova:  Building the Eiffel Tower", Feb 14

There looks like there's going to be some real interesting programming coming in the next couple of months plus I look forward to whatever they announce at the TV Critics press tour this Tuesday Monday

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 1