Type keyword(s) to search

PBS: Viewers Like You. Thank You.

• Start Topic

Is there a forum thread for the Ken Burns Hemingway doc?   If so, I haven't been able to find it.   And if you haven't seen it, it is slow at times but Hemingway was a Rockstar in his day.  Movie Star handsome, and all the things he did by the time he was 30.  Not what you'd call a "good" human being, but it appears that not many great artists have been.  

• Love 3

Anyone watch Romeo and Juliet on Great Performances

I know it's getting rave reviews, but I missed a lot of the language.  What was left seemed particularly dark and depressing.   Romeo and Juliet is a romantic comedy until act three.   I missed those lighter moments.

I also couldn't get past the memory of Josh O'Connor's Prince Charles to accept him as Romeo.   Because so many of Mercutio's lines were cut, I didn't get a sense of the friendship/relationship between him and Romeo.  In this version, it would have made more sense for Benvolio to kill Tybalt.  

On 4/20/2021 at 12:27 PM, 12catcrazy said:

Is there a forum thread for the Ken Burns Hemingway doc?   If so, I haven't been able to find it.   And if you haven't seen it, it is slow at times but Hemingway was a Rockstar in his day.  Movie Star handsome, and all the things he did by the time he was 30.  Not what you'd call a "good" human being, but it appears that not many great artists have been.  

It doesn’t look like it, but you can talk about it here or create a topic in the Other Non-Fiction section. I recorded it but haven’t had the chance to watch it yet

• Love 1

Some interesting PBS shows coming up in May (check your local listings; some may have already played or started in April):

Extra Life: A Short History of Living Longer, looks at vaccines and other medicines that helped us live better and longer

Greta Thunberg: A Year to Change the World, 3 parts (this started in April on some stations), about the young Swedish activist who looks at climate change in several places

Human: The World Within, 6 parts, about the body's inner workings

Inside the Met, 3 parts, about the Metropolitan Museum of Art's 150th birthday and how it got upended by the pandemic and social justice protests

Life at the Waterhole, 3 parts, about creation of an artificial waterhole in Africa and the study of the animals who visit it

Tulsa: The Fire and the Forgotten, about the 1921 Tulsa race massacre

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

The first episode of Life at the Waterhole was pretty interesting. The thing I kept thinking was how are they going to feel if some of those animals get eaten by predators simply because they were lured to a man-made waterhole for study? Though I think they hinted that some were killed on their way to the waterhole

• Love 1

Most interesting PBS content coming up in June (check your local listings for specific dates and times):

Masterpiece: Us - Sundays, June 20-27, 9-11pm, 4 episodes

The Mysteries of Mental Illness - 4 parts, June 22 and 23, 9-11pm

• Love 2

Great programming note: For those who get WETA, the PBS station in DC, they will be replaying the 6-part landmark civil rights doc series Eyes on the Prize June 19 and 26, 8-11pm. They will then play the 8-part followup Eyes on the Prize II in July. So check your local listings if you don't get WETA to see if your PBS station will play it over the Summer

• Love 3

I recently finished American Experience's American Oz about Wizard of Oz author L. Frank Baum and thought it was pretty interesting. I hadn't known that much about Baum but he was certainly an interesting character. I knew the Oz books (original and sequels) were well-received but I didn't realize how popular they were, along with the various early stage productions. I didn't realize that Oz movies were such failures with the audience until the 1939 MGM version, which managed to do quite well and remains a beloved movie. I watched it a lot as a kid when CBS I think showed it a lot. The two things that forever frightened me in that movie were the tornado sequences and the flying monkeys attack on Dorothy's group. I have read the original Oz book and several of the sequels and liked them quite a bit

• Love 4

Most interesting PBS content coming up in July (check your local listings):

The Latino Experience, 3 episodes, Tuesdays at 9pm starting July 6

Icon: Music Through the Lens (about live music photography), 6 episodes, Fridays at 9pm starting July 16

• Love 2
On 1/3/2021 at 3:46 PM, chediavolo said:

The documentary was pretty interesting seems like her daughter did most of the writing.

Rose Wilder Lane did NOT do most of the writing.  She did do a lot of the editing, but she herself was a hack writer who couldn't have come up with anything 1/100th as good as what her mother did.

On 1/3/2021 at 3:46 PM, chediavolo said:

And not much like he was portrayed in the series.

Nothing in the series was like Laura's books, let alone real life.  Except the names.

On 4/24/2021 at 7:35 PM, Phebemarie said:

Anyone watch Romeo and Juliet on Great Performances

I know it's getting rave reviews, but I missed a lot of the language.  What was left seemed particularly dark and depressing.   Romeo and Juliet is a romantic comedy until act three.   I missed those lighter moments.

I also couldn't get past the memory of Josh O'Connor's Prince Charles to accept him as Romeo.   Because so many of Mercutio's lines were cut, I didn't get a sense of the friendship/relationship between him and Romeo.  In this version, it would have made more sense for Benvolio to kill Tybalt.  

I know you wrote this months ago, but my daughter and I just watched this.  When Mercutio died after about a half an hour, we looked at each other and said - this seems a little soon - they're leaving out half of the text!

I had more trouble with Jessie Buckley's Irish Juliet than O'Connor's Romeo.  And Mercutio loses his character completely.

Interesting stuff coming up in August:

Lucy Worsley's Royal Myths and Secrets, Vol 2 (3 parts) premieres on August 29 with a look at the Reformation

Generation 9/11 premieres on August 31. It's a doc that follows the kids born to men that died on 9/11. That's probably one of the few 9/11 anniversary docs I'll be watching this year because I found watching 9/11 docs over the years is a bit hard

Icon: Music Through the Lens, which started in July, is pretty interesting so far

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

The August issue of PBS DC station WETA's schedule magazine indicates the next season of Secrets of the Dead will premiere in October with episodes "Magellan's Crossing", "Lady Sapien" and "Stonehenge"

PBS folks will be talking to TV critics in their annual summer press tour (virtual like last year) over the next 3 days so I'll be posting several press releases on what's coming up, particularly in the next few months

See https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/ for press releases, including other PBS info that I'm not posting here, including kid and digital stuff

Nature will premiere its new season (40th!) on October 20 https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/nature-celebrates-40-years-with-new-season/

American Masters will premiere a documentary on choreographer Alvin Ailey on January 20, 2022 https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/american-masters-explores-the-life-and-impact-of-visionary-choreographer-and-dancer-alvin-ailey/

The Great American Recipe, an 8 part cooking competition, will premiere Summer 2022 https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/pbs-celebrates-americas-diverse-culinary-roots-in-the-great-american-recipe/

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

A listing of the various panels at the press tour, including items I'm not posting https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/Summer-2021-Virtual-TCA-Press-Tour

4-part series "American Veteran", about the veteran experience, premieres October 26. Plus there will be a podcast and digital content https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/a/AMERICAN-VETERAN

2-part American Experience doc "Citizen Hearst", about publisher William Randolph Hearst, will be broadcast September 27 and 28 https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/a/AMERICAN-EXPERIENCE/CITIZEN-HEARST

4-part series "Muhammad Ali", by Ken "Yes, I'm going to mess up your viewing of the new TV season yet again" Burns, will be shown September 19-22 https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/m/Muhammad-Ali

American Masters doc "Rita Moreno" will premiere on October 5 https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/a/AMERICAN-MASTERS/2907-Rita-Moreno

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 2

I’ve not seen a press release for it yet nor is there a panel for it at this week's press tour, but the 3-part “Future of Work”, premiering September 1, looks very interesting. It explores the monumental changes in the workplace and the effects on employers, employees, educators and communities. I’m retired now so it doesn’t affect me directly, but it’s definitely an important issue that affects a lot of people. The show’s website https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/future-of-work/

ETA: Ah, finally see a press release about it on their pressroom site https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/f/Future-Of-Work

Edited by DanaK

Besides a Hearst 2-parter, American Experience will have an episode on first female Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor on September 13 https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/a/AMERICAN-EXPERIENCE/Sandra-Day-OConnor-The-First

Independent Lens will show "Ferguson Rises" November 8 https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/i/INDEPENDENT-LENS/Ferguson-Rises

There will be an interesting 2 part series "La Frontera with Pati Jenich" premiering October 15 on the sights, sounds, and flavors on the US-Mexico border https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/l/LA-FRONTERA-WITH-PATI-JINICH

Several interesting POV docs starting at the end of this month https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/p/POV

Nova has a really interesting doc called "The Cannabis Question", premiering September 29, that looks at the history of Cannabis in the US https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/n/NOVA/4811-The-Cannabis-Question

Check your local listings of course

• Love 1

The first episode of The Future of Work doc series, “The New Industrial Revolution”, was pretty interesting. It covered the disruption of robotics, the digital revolution, outsourcing, the pandemic and other things and how all that effects workers, the gig economy, medicine, farming, etc. It’s exciting and scary at the same time. I’m glad I’m retired and have a good pension and investment income and don’t have to worry about it. Workers especially have to be more nimble and many may not have access to a secure retirement

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 2
On 8/11/2021 at 1:20 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

I think she's cute, esp. her excitement over wearing costumes.  But apparently a lot of people find her annoying.

I find her exceedingly annoying, especially the way she tends to insert herself into historical scenes.  I don't care about the host wearing costumes.  I only care about the history.  I was interested in the subjects of the specials PBS is running right now, but when I saw she was involved, I knew I wouldn't be watching them.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I find her exceedingly annoying, especially the way she tends to insert herself into historical scenes.  I don't care about the host wearing costumes.  I only care about the history.  I was interested in the subjects of the specials PBS is running right now, but when I saw she was involved, I knew I wouldn't be watching them.

Straight forward history would be nice, but it's television and therefore they feel they need to be "entertaining" (as if actual history isn't).  I don't find her analysis very deep (Ken Burns' programs aren't either), but it is what it is. It's better than what's on AHC ("American Hitler Channel").  

27 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Straight forward history would be nice, but it's television and therefore they feel they need to be "entertaining" (as if actual history isn't).  I don't find her analysis very deep (Ken Burns' programs aren't either), but it is what it is. It's better than what's on AHC ("American Hitler Channel").  

That is true.  And to be honest, if it were an attractive man, I'd probably watch.  (I used to love watching Michael Wood's shows, partly for the eye candy.  Yes, I'm shallow.)

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I love Lucy Worsley. I learned more about Queen Anne on her show than I ever learned in history class. She doesn't have much time for analysis since her specials are an hour long. I think she does a good job interviewing the experts on her shows.

• Love 5
On 9/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, kathyk24 said:

I love Lucy Worsley. I learned more about Queen Anne on her show than I ever learned in history class. She doesn't have much time for analysis since her specials are an hour long. I think she does a good job interviewing the experts on her shows.

She doesn't have much time for analysis because she spends so much time playing dress up, imo.  But to each, their own.  I prefer my history more straight forward, but then, I was a history major.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

She doesn't have much time for analysis because she spends so much time playing dress up, imo.  But to each, their own.  I prefer my history more straight forward, but then, I was a history major.

Of viewers, there's two possibilities. Some might watch and be interested enough to investigate further, which is a good thing.  Others might think they now know about the subject and go back to watching AGT or Dancing With the Stars, which is a bad thing.

I finally watched the 3rd episode of Worsley's Royal Myths and Secrets and she did a good job of breaking down the myths around Marie Antoinette and the French Revolution. Too bad about the French Revolution as it devolved into a killing spree, then the French got a new monarchy with Napoleon, though to be fair, that was through a coup

The second episode of the "Future of Work" series was much more downbeat than the first, focusing on workers and how they can navigate this new world of non-lifetime and shifting employment and how hard it is for them, especially gig workers who don't have secure employment, good pay or proper benefits

The American Experience doc on Supreme Court Justice and first woman on the court Sandra Day O’Connor was pretty interesting. I remember a little of her nomination but had forgotten a lot about her tenure

On 9/26/2021 at 1:18 AM, athousandclowns said:

I promised I’ve spent 45 minutes looking to see if there is a American Masters forum.  I just caught “I’ve got to me “ about Sammy Davis.  How could I forgotten how much he meant to me at the time? 

I've always liked Sammy Davis Jr, but his life struggling to fit into the entertainment world as a Black man was sad, then his later life and money problems were sad

Press release for Secrets of the Dead new season of 6 episodes http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/09/27/secrets-of-the-dead-returns-with-six-new-episodes-wednesdays-october-20-november-24-on-pbs-525412/20210927pbs01/

I finally finished "Future of Work" and what a great and informative 3 part series that was. Also, pretty downbeat if you don't have employment with a solid company. I feel bad for gig workers more than I did before (and I will especially avoid even working part-time for those companies now that I'm retired). The show covered a lot of areas about employment as we go into the future. The pandemic upended a lot of things, but a lot was already changing with jobs and workers. I'm just glad I'm retired now, but this has affected and will affect a lot of people

Just to note, I think the only PBS shows that exist separately as their own topics, at least for docs, are Frontline, Independent Lens, and POV

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1
On 9/26/2021 at 12:18 AM, athousandclowns said:

I promised I’ve spent 45 minutes looking to see if there is a American Masters forum.  I just caught “I’ve got to me “ about Sammy Davis.  How could I forgotten how much he meant to me at the time? 

Anyone can create individual topics or ask a mod if they don't feel comfortable doing it themselves. The main thing to be aware of is creating it in the right spot. 🙂 

I went ahead and created the topic here:

• Love 4

Some interesting PBS stuff for November:

"Josephine Baker: Story of an Awakening" and "Elvis and the USS Arizona" (establishing the memorial). Check your local listings because it's possible not all PBS stations will carry these

American Veteran continues its 4 part series

Nature: The Elephant and the Termite on Nov 3 about a waterhole and a 2-part Born in the Rockies doc starting Nov 10

Nova: Nova Universe Revealed continues its 5 part series

Secrets of the Dead: The First Circle of Stonehenge (Nov 3), The Hindenburg's Fatal Flaws (Nov 10), A Samurai in the Vatican (Nov 17) and The Caravaggio Heist (Nov 24)

Frontline (topic in Non-Fiction Other section): "Pandora Papers" (Nov 9), about the recently leaked documents on the world of secretive financing by big wigs.

Independent Lens (topic in Non-Fiction Other section): Ferguson Rises (Nov 8), Storm Lake (Nov 15), Duty Free (Nov 22), Home From School: The Children of Carlisle (Nov 23)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 10/25/2021 at 11:58 AM, DanaK said:

American Veteran continues its 4 part series

I'm two episodes into this series and it is really good.  I've watch both episodes with my husband and I think he's quite enjoyed it too.  He's a veteran and now a retiree after 21 years of service.  We both really enjoyed the first episode and my husband got a good laugh out of the memories from basic/boot camp.  The 2nd episode was much heavier and more emotionally tough to get through.  They touched on a lot of really tough things.  My heart broke for so many of them and their families.  Has anyone else watched?

• Useful 1

Watched the first part of "Around the World in 80 Days" on "Masterpiece Theater." I always have to wonder when they film classic books why the writers think they can write a better story than the original classic that has lasted a hundred years.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Watched the first part of "Around the World in 80 Days" on "Masterpiece Theater." I always have to wonder when they film classic books why the writers think they can write a better story than the original classic that has lasted a hundred years.

There a whole forum Here. Come join us!

• Love 1

Some interesting docs for the rest of January:

American Masters has "Ailey" on Jan 11

Nova has "Butterfly Blueprints" on Jan 12, "Alaskan Dinosaurs" on Jan 19, and "Ancient Maya Metropolis" on Jan 26

Great Performances has "Reopening: The Broadway Revival" (maybe premature) on Jan 18

Nature has a second go round with "Animals with Cameras", 2 episodes, premiering Jan 19

Independent Lens: "A Reckoning in Boston" on Jan 17; "Missing in Brooks County", about missing migrants, on Jan 31

POV: "Not Going Quietly" on Jan 24

• Love 2

PBS has announced programming for February to celebrate Black History Month https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/pbs-showcases-rich-collection-of-stories-to-celebrate-black-history-month/

ETA: PBS will also have its Winter press tour with TV critics this coming week starting on Tuesday and going through Thursday. I believe it will be virtual like the Summer one. There will likely be at least a few programs announced

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

This page lists the contents of this week's TCA Virtual Winter Press Tour for PBS https://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/Winter-2022-Virtual-TCA-Press-Tour

Other recent announcements:

The Story of Hip Hop with Chuck D https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/pbs-and-bbc-studios-announce-new-series-the-story-of-hiphop-with-chuck-d-wt/

One Day in March about rising anti-Asian hate crimes https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/the-wnet-group-announces-one-day-in-march-wt/

2 documentaries by PBS and Maryland Public Television on Frederick Douglass and Harriett Tubman https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/pbs-and-maryland-public-television-announce-two-new-documentaries/

American Experience: Taken Hostage on the 1979 Iran Hostage Crisis https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/pbs-and-american-experience-announce-taken-hostage/

5 Part series The Green Planet from BBC Studios https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/pbs-announces-the-green-planet/

Making Black America: Through the Grapevine https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/pbs-and-weta-announce-new-documentary-series-from-mcgee-media-and-inkwell-media/

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Highlights for February (check your local listings):
Nova:

Arctic Sinkholes (Feb 2)

Secrets in the Scat (yes, scientists checking animal poop) (Feb 9)

Great Mammoth Mystery (Feb 16)

Augmented (transforming the future of prosthetics) (Feb 23)

American Experience:

Riveted: The History of Jeans (Feb 7)

The American Diplomat (3 pioneering Black diplomats) (Feb 15)

Independent Lens:

Owned: A History of Two Americas - about racist housing policy (Feb 7)

Bulletproof (fear in classrooms in age of mass shootings (Feb 14)

American Reckoning (about righting America's wrongs) (Feb 15)

Apart (US leads the world in incarcerating women) (Feb 21)

American Masters:

Marian Anderson (Feb 8)

Nature:

Penguins: Meet the Family (Feb 9)

The Ocean's Greatest Feast (Feb 16)

American Horses (Feb 23)

• Love 1