Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Welcome to New Beginnings

jewel21
  • Start Topic

So we'll just ignore the fact that it would be completely unethical for the mediator to be the "best" friend of one of the parties to the dispute . . .

There had to be a better way to shoehorn Dave into that plot.  😏

• Like 5

I'm glad Calvin came around in the end.  It seems a Calvin inspired restaurant would be right up his ego-alley, so his reaction was a little puzzling.  I mean, yes, the Pit Stop was a long-time family business in the neighborhood, so he has a good reason to be sad and a little angry, but a garage themed pub celebrating that is also pretty cool.

Malcolm was cracking me up, with his huge smile while Marty was talking about his big idea.

It was obvious that Grover sandbagged the career test.  It appears super-educator Gemma has a blind spot about her own child, because Grover is exactly the type of kid who just doesn't care and would make random answers just to screw up the results.  It was also nice to see Dave being professional and reasonable.  Usually they write his character to the goofy and unbelievable side which is frustrating, because adults can't be that obnoxiously clueless and still function in society.  So it was nice to be reminded Dave is actually good at his job.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Dave's line about no longer needing to save money for Grover's college fund was amazing 🤣 And so was Gemma's reaction to Grover watching Sponge Bob.

I loved that plotline, even if it was only the C-plot of the episode.

• Like 2

I loved Grover's comment about the fog rolling in and Dave freaking out that Grover was right. That scene made me laugh out loud. As did Gemma's reaction to that bit of information, lol. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 2/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, HurricaneVal said:

I'm glad Calvin came around in the end.  It seems a Calvin inspired restaurant would be right up his ego-alley, so his reaction was a little puzzling.  I mean, yes, the Pit Stop was a long-time family business in the neighborhood, so he has a good reason to be sad and a little angry, but a garage themed pub celebrating that is also pretty cool.

Malcolm was cracking me up, with his huge smile while Marty was talking about his big idea.

It was obvious that Grover sandbagged the career test.  It appears super-educator Gemma has a blind spot about her own child, because Grover is exactly the type of kid who just doesn't care and would make random answers just to screw up the results.  It was also nice to see Dave being professional and reasonable.  Usually they write his character to the goofy and unbelievable side which is frustrating, because adults can't be that obnoxiously clueless and still function in society.  So it was nice to be reminded Dave is actually good at his job.

I feel terrible, but any plot line that is Grover centric automatically turns me off because that kid is such a dud in the presence of a bunch of other talented actors.  The character was so sorely miscast it turns me off.

• Like 4
(edited)
23 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

I feel terrible, but any plot line that is Grover centric automatically turns me off because that kid is such a dud in the presence of a bunch of other talented actors.  The character was so sorely miscast it turns me off.

I agree, and I feel terrible about it too.  Is it too terrible to wish the show could employ SORAS (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome) to Grover's character and find a new, more mature and better actor?  😂

I liked the storyline, but I liked Dave and Gemma's parts in it more than Grover.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 3
On 2/28/2023 at 12:40 PM, jalady said:

So we'll just ignore the fact that it would be completely unethical for the mediator to be the "best" friend of one of the parties to the dispute . . .

There had to be a better way to shoehorn Dave into that plot.  😏

technically he wasn't the mediator.  the former judge was.  I don't really know what Dave was doing there.  

On 2/28/2023 at 12:42 PM, HurricaneVal said:

because adults can't be that obnoxiously clueless and still function in society.

Looking around, I would say that yes they can.  Depending on your definition of function.

there is literally one manned lighthouse in the entire country.  Even if that is your perfect career, no career placement test is going to have that as an option.  When I had to take that test back in HS my choices were bus driver and janitor.  Which effectively just meant janitor.  If there had been a driving section with that test it wouldn't have given me bus driver.  I've often wondered if I made a mistake not following the test results.

And, Marty, way to try to get everybody revved up for nothing?  

• Like 1