Type keyword(s) to search

Happy Valley - General Discussion

• Start Topic

News flash, some of us actually seek out programming from outside the US because we know it's better!

Word!

Any other recommendations? I just binged River and it was excellent.

• Love 1

Try Fortitude, on Amazon Prime. It's a UK show, filmed in Iceland and set in a fictional Arctic town, population 700.  It's sort of a murder mystery but some really, really freaky stuff happens. It's one of the best shows I've watched in a while.

Glad to hear River was worth watching - I keep seeing it in my Netflix recommendations and wasn't sure from the description if I would like it.  I was interested because one of the other actresses from Last Tango in Halifax is in it, but haven't given it a go yet.

• Love 2

Try Fortitude, on Amazon Prime. It's a UK show, filmed in Iceland and set in a fictional Arctic town, population 700.  It's sort of a murder mystery but some really, really freaky stuff happens. It's one of the best shows I've watched in a while.

Glad to hear River was worth watching - I keep seeing it in my Netflix recommendations and wasn't sure from the description if I would like it.  I was interested because one of the other actresses from Last Tango in Halifax is in it, but haven't given it a go yet.

Adding Fortitude to the list. Thanks!

That's Nicola Walker. She's the lead in another show I just started watching, the Unforgotten. She was great in River. A tip - don't read any reviews of River before watching the first episode as they all give away a piece of info that's worth watching.

YES. Best news I've heard all week. I read that Matthew Lewis is joining the cast so I'm excited. Also I hate how attracted I am to James Norton in that promo. It doesn't look quite as engrossing as series one, when the case was so close to Catherine's heart, but I'm very willing to give it a chance. I hope Ann pops up.

• Love 1

I just saw the trailer a little while ago so I was coming over here to see if anyone posted it already.  I am so psyched for S2 I can not tell you! I LOVED S1 and pimped it out to so many friends. I've watched it four times!

Here's a good article about S1 and the upcoming season. This reviewer says so many things that I believe about the show and Sarah Lancashire too.

Also- "Working on Happy Valley 'emotionally brutal', says Sarah Lancashire"  Bring it on!!

Jealous we have to wait for the US S2 premiere! So without spoilering, does it have the same feel as say, the first ep of S1?

Is Sarah/Catherine still awesome as usual?

Yeah I'd say so. It ties to season 1 in a very good way too.

And not just a mini Donwton reunion, it's a mini Cucumber reunion! And Gill (Amelia Bullmore) from Scott & Bailey! And Shirley Henderson! Great cast.

• Love 2

This show's scenes before the credits are wonderful.

Spoilers for episode 2 of season 2 below:

I loved Catherine showing up at Tommy's mother's funeral -- presumably just to fuck with him! It was totally messed up and surprising. And I don't want our heroine to be too saintly. The evil music of evil was way OTT, though.

I didn't predict Clare falling off the wagon. I really liked how it played out so far, but I'm not sure how I feel about it as a story choice. In show terms, the answer to the 'Why now?' question is obviously 'Because Clare's an addict and it's season two'. But in terms of the character, wouldn't she be more likely to slip up when times are tough? When she's stressed out? I suppose Catherine ditched her at a friend's funeral where everyone was drinking. But it sounds like she's been sober for years.

Catherine and Clare do seem stuck playing really old roles in each other's lives, where Catherine's the parent and Clare's the child. Like, Catherine looking up the new boyfriend, Nigel, on the police system would drive me mad if I were Clare. And while drunk Clare is obviously an asshole, she did have a little more self-assurance and spine while drunk than she normally has sober. Anyway, it would probs be healthier if the sisters didn't live together.

But God, that bit with Catherine getting down on her knees in the street to beg her sister to stop drinking was really good. Also, the father/daughter scene (between Nevison and Ann) upstairs at Helen's funeral was very affecting.

I liked the story about the Croatian woman. And I liked how realistically pathetic that scene was between the married man and his ex-mistress after a couple of glasses of wine, when there was no way for him to ever know if she had kept copies of those images of him, and they both knew it. The actress playing Vicky was perfectly cast.

Creepy teaching assistant is fucked in the head, obviously. And I still wonder what's up with Daniel's marriage.

Edited by Kirsty

Definitely hoping for that March date for us Happy Valley lovers in the US. The sooner the better.

So without spoiling, how is the series shaping up so far? Good as the first series? I'm guessing Sarah Lancashire's acting is still awesome.

I just finished watching 2x05.  This series is FANTASTIC!

I think this was the best episode of the 2nd series so far.   All of Sally Wainwright's shows are good, but Happy Valley is great.   Imagine the next episode is going to be busy.

• Love 2

Just checking in here quickly without looking at any posts in fear of spoilage, but have all six eps aired? I'm just waiting patiently for it to get to Netflix. Last I heard was March 16.

Just checking in here quickly without looking at any posts in fear of spoilage, but have all six eps aired? I'm just waiting patiently for it to get to Netflix. Last I heard was March 16.

Finale airs in the UK this Tuesday, and S2 is on Netflix US on Wednesday.

I thought that was a very good finale. The bridge scene was both harrowing and oddly funny, with John chastising Catherine for not doing the suicide-prevention stuff well.

It's already been renewed for a third run; hopefully we won't have to wait another two years.

• Love 2

Sarah Lancashire is fantastic in this part.  Happy to hear there will be a third series.  I don't believe anyone who enjoyed the first series will be disappointed with the second.

• Love 3

What?! There's going to be a third season. For sure? OMG that's awesome. And Sarah Lancashire is back too I hope.

I am checking Netflix now and I don't see season two up yet. Gah!! They did say March 16 and it's 12:10 am! Not impatient, nope.

• Love 1

What?! There's going to be a third season. For sure? OMG that's awesome. And Sarah Lancashire is back too I hope.

I am checking Netflix now and I don't see season two up yet. Gah!! They did say March 16 and it's 12:10 am! Not impatient, nope.

Netflix works on West Coast time. Another two hours.

A bunch of UK newspapers have reported that it was being renewed, but Lancashire now says it's not official yet. Hopefully only a matter of time.

A bunch of UK newspapers have reported that it was being renewed, but Lancashire now says it's not official yet. Hopefully only a matter of time.

If they don't renew it, they better prepare for a shit storm. It's really a pity what is going on with the BBC at the moment. More and more cuts but people still expect good series like this one to be produced. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Netflix works on West Coast time. Another two hours.

I will remember that next time, thanks! Hopefully it should be there when I look later on my lunch hour at work. So psyched!

Oh crap, not official?!  I hope it's just a matter of time like you said.

Just watched 2:1  This show......so damned dark, and yet the dry humor just  saves it and you can't wait to dive back in.  This seems to be the first post on the premiere episode of Season 2.  Sarah Lancashire is so damned good.  Think I will wait until  a few have posted before I discuss the details, but the season looks promising.  Are there only six episodes in the season?  The opening was brilliant.......sheep rustling gone awry.  And with that itsy bitsy spoiler, c'est fini pour maintenent.  OK, I know it's a Brit series not French (am in so SO much anticipation for Season 5 of "Entrenages"..... Anyway,  that poor sheep.

Edited by Wilson Cat

I'm wondering about Catherine's look as she watches Ryan at the very end of the last episode of Series 2. 

Makes me concerned for S3, if there is one.

My take on it was that she is scared what he could turn into after the talk with Alison.

There's a lot of stuff for S3 there, not least

how Tommy Lee Royce might manipulate Ryan if they somehow managed to keep in touch.Or whatever creepy little Francis decides to do next.

• Love 8

I thought Catherine was looking at Ryan like she thought he was turning into his father no matter what she did.   Maybe the next series, if there is one, will focus on Royce and Ryan, but I wonder if they're going to age Ryan and skip a few years.  I was hoping that Uncle Daniel would have more of an influence on Ryan. 

IMO, series 2 was even better than series 1.  Catherine cries a lot.  The final episode had some laugh out loud moments.  James Norton looks very different than in series one, and I think that was a good choice.  There are two actors from Cucumber/Banana in this series. 

After watching the first series, I watched some things that I could get with Sarah Lancashire in it.  I wouldn't recommend The Paradise for her role, but it was pretty good.   I haven't watched all of Rose and Maloney, and Clocking Off, which are up on Youtube.    Sons and Lovers had a very good cast, but I think Happy Valley is her best role, with Last Tango in second. 

• Love 2

I was referring to Vincent Franklin (Shepherd) and Con O'Neill (Neil).  I forgot about the actress, Julie H, who plays the wife of the bad cop.  I thought the scenes in the last episode, trying to talk down her husband were hilarious. 

• Love 1

This show is definetly dark but it also has some levity to it which other British dramas like Broadchurch for instance. The police in this have some outright comical moments and a sense of levity. Season one was like watching if the British had written Fargo. I really liked season 2 especially the side plot of the police officer who murdered the woman he has the affair with and the girl from last season who became a cop.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Loving season 2! Got a couple episodes to go.  This is a spoiler NOT concerning season 2.  Don't know if it is a spoiler or not, but to be safe...

I suppose I can see why Sarah Lancashire wouldn't want to jump into a season 3 - at least not right away.  I haven't read up enough on what else she might have lined up. Maybe she wants a break from this particular character. Also, the writer, Sarah Wainwright, appears to love to write for Lancashire and also appears to write these emotionally dark, emotionally draining characters for her.  Can't get it out well, but I think all of you who love the show know what I mean.  Also, I understand what SL has said about too much of a good thing and possibly diluting such a great character and story.  Still, I hope SL sticks with strong female acting choices.  I can't imagine her as some fluffy, in the background wifey type.  Although she would kill in that kind of part if she wanted to. Yep!

Hoping for a season 3!

• Love 1

Loving season 2! Got a couple episodes to go.  This is a spoiler NOT concerning season 2.  Don't know if it is a spoiler or not, but to be safe...

I suppose I can see why Sarah Lancashire wouldn't want to jump into a season 3 - at least not right away.  I haven't read up enough on what else she might have lined up. Maybe she wants a break from this particular character. Also, the writer, Sarah Wainwright, appears to love to write for Lancashire and also appears to write these emotionally dark, emotionally draining characters for her.  Can't get it out well, but I think all of you who love the show know what I mean.  Also, I understand what SL has said about too much of a good thing and possibly diluting such a great character and story.  Still, I hope SL sticks with strong female acting choices.  I can't imagine her as some fluffy, in the background wifey type.  Although she would kill in that kind of part if she wanted to. Yep!

Hoping for a season 3!

I don't think this is a spoiler. And I can't even begin to imagine how exhausting this role has to be for Sarah Lancashire.

The UK system is different in general. Soaps not withstanding, it's rare that a show has more than 13 episodes and they don't start like clockwork at the same time every year. Sometimes it's funny when actors suddenly show up in everything because the schedules work out like that. James Norton being Tommy Lee Royce Tuesdays on the BBC and Reverend Chambers on Wednesdays on ITV is a good example. There were almost two years between series 1 and 2 and I really didn't mind. I prefer short seasons generously spaced to the hammering out of 22 episodes and running out of stories to tell actually. I can wait two years if the result is that good.

So, in short: I absolutely agree with you ;-)

• Love 1

That was as fantastic as the first series. I watched it in three sittings and finished it last night. I guessed right about who the killer was (although not the possible psychological reason why). I kept waiting for it to have a slam-bang violent finish like the first series did, but it really didn’t and that was OK, too. Jaysis, is everybody in Yorkshire cheating on their spouse, a drunk (or a former drunk) or a nutter? There were a few things that were a little *too* coincidental

(like Catherine’s sister’s boyfriend also having been blackmailed by the detective’s mistress

), but, eh, it’s a small town, I can let that pass. There really should be one more series — they left the door slightly open for it with Ryan (that poor kid...) sending a letter to his dad in jail. Is it Sarah Lancashire who doesn’t want to do another or the creator, Sally Wainwright? C’mon, one more! Make it a trilogy. I don't ask for much!

Edited by AllAboutMBTV
  • Love 3

The actor playing the real killer was Pythagorus in that Atlantis series that had nothing to do with Atlantis, but ended up being about Jason and Medea.  I didn't even recognize him in this role.  I thought the identity of the main killer was pretty surprising too.   I was actually rooting for him to kill the three bastards that were bothering him.

I'm wondering about Catherine's look as she watches Ryan at the very end of the last episode of Series 2. 

I'm putting this in spoiler tags, just in case, but it's mostly speculation.

I was wondering if Catherine was suddenly realizing that maybe Royce isn't Ryan's real dad after all? As hard as it is to admit, I got a creepy suspicion in season one that Catherine's ex was really the one who raped Becky, and Ryan was his, but didn't think this show would actually go there. But why would Becky kill herself if Royce was the dad, especially if he really did not rape her (like he claimed)? And why would Catherine's ex have to leave like he did? Something just wasn't adding up there. So, the reveal about Daryl and Allison completely mirrored the plot in my mind about Ryan... and this ending brought that creepy feeling right back again. That look on Catherine's face made me wonder if she was suddenly questioning everything.... more than just fearing that Ryan was going to be Royce.2.  

I'm putting this in spoiler tags, just in case, but it's mostly speculation.

I was wondering if Catherine was suddenly realizing that maybe Royce isn't Ryan's real dad after all? As hard as it is to admit, I got a creepy suspicion in season one that Catherine's ex was really the one who raped Becky, and Ryan was his, but didn't think this show would actually go there. But why would Becky kill herself if Royce was the dad, especially if he really did not rape her (like he claimed)? And why would Catherine's ex have to leave like he did? Something just wasn't adding up there. So, the reveal about Daryl and Allison completely mirrored the plot in my mind about Ryan... and this ending brought that creepy feeling right back again. That look on Catherine's face made me wonder if she was suddenly questioning everything.... more than just fearing that Ryan was going to be Royce.2.  

There was never any doubt in the show about Ryan being Royce's son (biologically). In series one Catherine and Clare were even afraid of Royce going to court for a paternity test so he could get custody for Ryan.The question about his conception is not who but how. Catherine states it as rape, Daniel says they had a relationship and 'she asked for it'. I'm not sure if he actually meant it wasn't rape after all but Royce dropped Becky once he had gotten into her pants or that is was but caused by her going out with Royce in the first place since he was emotionally all over the place when he said that. I hope he would be less casual about potential rape when he's sober. He also told Ryan his dad took advantage of his mom when he started asking questions about his parents' relationship.

We'll probably never know what exactly happened considering out of the two persons present, one is dead and the other a manipulative psycopath who sees himself as the victim, but I'm afraid Ryan is Royce's son. Catherine would probably do Numfar's Dance of Joy if she could personally show Royce the results of a DNA test proving Ryan not to be his.

Regarding the end of the brilliant finale -

I think the final sequence wasn't just about whether Ryan would grow up to be deranged, but more about the idea that so much of his future  depends on how Catherine deals with raising him. So much of Allison's story was about how she kept her son away from other people so that he wouldn't be picked on or find out about the truth of how he was conceived, and how that choice made them outcasts; and there was an ongoing thread this season about how the family should talk to Ryan about his mother and father - what should be revealed, what shouldn't be revealed; so, I think much of Catherine's final moment was feeling the potential weight of all of her decisions with Ryan and just how to navigate his relationship to the truth of his origins. I thought it was so chilling.

Edited by PhilMarlowe2
  • Love 5

Damn, that was some excellent TV. And, dare I say it, even better than series one, which is really saying something.

First off, Shirley Henderson has some goddamn excellent genes. Woman looks my age (27) and she's in her fifties! I am in awe. Also amused that both she and Matthew Lewis were in this. Nice mini Harry Potter reunion. Speaking of Lewis, was he totally wasted in this series or what? He got a couple of good scenes, but I was expecting a bigger part for him.

James Norton is so stunning it's hard to look at him sometimes, and I think he really worked at making hideous faces in scenes, to kind of offset the beauty and remind people Tommy Lee Royce is just not a good person.

I absolutely adored Ann in all her survivor glory in series one, and wondered how they would keep her around. Loved seeing more of her and how the two families have grown close.

I like that there is so much gorgeous English countryside shown in this show, and then you have all this murder and crime and unhappiness. Quite the contrast. Where is this supposed to take place again?

Spoiler tagging the rest, just in case.

Glad Siobhan was given a bit more to do. The episode where she fell off the wagon was so well done.

The very final scene, with Catherine walking behind her family I thought was initially being played on a positive note - she's had a shit week, a shit life, really, but she has her family together. And then they went and played it on a dark note. Well done and completely in character for this show.

I liked Daniel being given a bigger part and glad the husband wasn't in this series. He annoyed me.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 5

Where is this supposed to take place again?

I think the series is set in West Yorkshire.  They mentioned Ripponden, which is also where Derek Jacobi's character lived in Last Tango in Halifax.   The google street view shots in England are wonderful, you can sometimes go right down rural roads and up to the doors of farmhouses.  Of course, these are very large files that you have to clean out frequently if you want your computer running well. 

• Love 1