Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Mic Drop

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My best-friend-since-we-were-two texted me a few hours later when her kids were born (her son was born around 5:30 am; she knows better than to wake me up that early 😏; I went to see them later in the day, then went back the next day to hang out with her so her husband could go home and spend some time with their daughter, who was two at the time - too young to understand why mom and dad disappeared in the middle of the night and didn't come back for a day and a half...; she didn't want to be left alone and her mom had something to do that afternoon..).

When it comes to homebirth, most competent midwives would tell their clients that the new mom should not be left completely alone for the first few days in case something untoward happens.  Just like someone is always available in the hospital.  Considering Gary's apartment is essentially a studio, with no bedroom door; it would've made more sense for the friends to all wait to hear the news in a group text afterwards and to use their time during the labor to set up a schedule so there is always an adult available for the first few days in case Gary has to go to chemo or needs to buy groceries or is otherwise not right there with Maggie.  

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Notabug said:

When it comes to homebirth, most competent midwives would tell their clients that the new mom should not be left completely alone for the first few days in case something untoward happens.  Just like someone is always available in the hospital. 

She was in the hospital; she just didn't want to be left alone there. Her husband stayed the first night, then her mom came back after her event and stayed the second night (they went home on day 3). I spent the afternoon with her and baby. (She also had an unplanned natural birth, because he came so quickly. It was about two hours between when she woke up and realized she was in labor and when he was born...and they live about half an hour from the hospital so was he was born less than an hour after they got there.)

1 hour ago, circumvent said:

One more thing: After all the drama with Eddie and the classes he wanted to take, and the grumpy professor, I guess it is all going great for him. He wasn't in class, he wasn't working, and had time not only to take a crib down and put it back together the whole day, but also to wait outside a door for a baby to be born.

I tell myself all these episodes happen on the weekend, lol.   In this episode Kathrine and Greta were on a weekend getaway so it makes sense this was a Saturday; also the  prom and Rome and Eddie having the day off to spend however make sense for a Saturday.  But then Why would the social worker be available for a meeting with Gina?  Or why would Maggie's radio show be on the air????  Not sure where poor Walter was, although Tyrell said he was in bed.  ☹️

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 3/15/2023 at 11:24 PM, Frisky Wig said:

Speaking from of shitty things to do, it’s probably a good idea to ask your husband if you can use his airline miles when you knew you two had to a trip planned rather than wait to tell him when you come home and find him arguing with customer service. Maybe it’s just me. 🤷‍♀️ 

Not just you.  

On 3/16/2023 at 6:03 AM, Notabug said:

Many people who plan home births arrange to have a 'birthing pool' available too, it helps with relaxation during labor even if the delivery doesn't happen in it. There are commercial kits out there that you can buy.  Hospitals use them too.  They are just the same as the typical kiddie pool that you pump to inflate, only cost 4 times as much.

No one should have to be subjected to the remnants of birth against their will.  I've seen lots of umbilical cord stumps in my time, thousands, but I would never let a kid carry it around for show and subject random strangers to it.

I insisted on a hospital room with a tub because it was where I was most comfortable at the end of my pregnancy.  The doctor's understanding was that it would slow down labor.  I proved him wrong by popping out the baby 15 minutes after getting in (5 minutes in the tub, 10 minutes on the bed).

Why doesn't Alexa respond to Maggie's shrieking?  (I don't have one and don't want one, but now I'm curious to know if/how it reacts to sounds.)

On 3/16/2023 at 10:29 AM, Brian Cronin said:

One of the only good things about the show (JRR, of course, being one of the best things about it) is how Nash ruined Delilah so much for the fans that he is now giving us all the "Fuck Delilah" content that we have long craved. Even there, though, it's this sort of gross, "See? I'm like you guys! I hate Delilah, too! Oh? I'm the reason she sucks so bad? Well...try to forget that as I shit on her some more!"

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

She was in the hospital; she just didn't want to be left alone there. Her husband stayed the first night, then her mom came back after her event and stayed the second night (they went home on day 3). I spent the afternoon with her and baby. (She also had an unplanned natural birth, because he came so quickly. It was about two hours between when she woke up and realized she was in labor and when he was born...and they live about half an hour from the hospital so was he was born less than an hour after they got there.)

I'm sorry, I was talking about the plot on the show, not your personal experience.  It just seemed like having a bunch of people hanging in the hall outside the apartment wating for hours for Maggie to deliver was kind of a waste and their time could've been better spent elsewhere and their presence would've been a lot more useful over the next several days.  Then again, these are people who accompany one another to the ER, to doctor's appointments and everywhere else.

10 hours ago, Leeds said:

Not just you.  

I insisted on a hospital room with a tub because it was where I was most comfortable at the end of my pregnancy.  The doctor's understanding was that it would slow down labor.  I proved him wrong by popping out the baby 15 minutes after getting in (5 minutes in the tub, 10 minutes on the bed)

No offense to your doctor but he doesn't know much about laboring in water.  If a woman is in active labor when she gets it the tub, it will usually result in a shorter labor.  There's a lot of research on the subject and I don't know why he wasn't aware of it.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, Notabug said:

No offense to your doctor but he doesn't know much about laboring in water.  If a woman is in active labor when she gets it the tub, it will usually result in a shorter labor.  There's a lot of research on the subject and I don't know why he wasn't aware of it.

No offense taken on his behalf!  He was someone I'd never met before and have never seen again, not my actual ObGyn.

As to being unaware of the research, this was over 30 years ago, so perhaps laboring in water in hospital was a little unusual?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Leeds said:

No offense taken on his behalf!  He was someone I'd never met before and have never seen again, not my actual ObGyn.

As to being unaware of the research, this was over 30 years ago, so perhaps laboring in water in hospital was a little unusual?

Ok, I can give him a break on it.  I was working with a group of midwives in a birthing center attached to a hospital back then and we were considered to be hippie freaks.  It wasn't common 30 years ago, however, nowadays, even ACOG (American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology) has issued information on it.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
22 hours ago, cardigirl said:

And Gary has had 8.5 to 9 months to prepare, supposedly taking childbirth classes and he doesn't know what a mucus plug or braxton-hicks contractions are?

Well, all we saw of the childbirth classes was them learning how to diaper a baby in cloth diapers -- something many parents don't even use anymore.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Ok, I can give him a break on it.  I was working with a group of midwives in a birthing center attached to a hospital back then and we were considered to be hippie freaks.  It wasn't common 30 years ago, however, nowadays, even ACOG (American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology) has issued information on it.

Where did you get your training?  My cousin trained as a naturopathic doctor and midwife around then in the Pac NW - Birkenstocks and tie dye were de rigueur.  As were cloth diapers.

3 hours ago, Leeds said:

Where did you get your training?  My cousin trained as a naturopathic doctor and midwife around then in the Pac NW - Birkenstocks and tie dye were de rigueur.  As were cloth diapers.

i am a regular old MD in the traditional sense, not a naturopath.  I went to school and practice in the midwest in a state where lay midwifery is not legal; so the only midwives I've worked with are CNM's, certified nurse midwives who are advanced practice nurses (RN's with Master's degrees).  Lots of Birkenstocks here even now, but definitely not as crunchy, non-traditional as the PNW.

The only direct-entry (lay or CPM) midwives I have encountered have been those doing homebirths on the sly.  A few of them trained via correspondence course with CPM schools out your way; but many were 'self-trained' in that they had no formal training and followed around another 'midwife' with no specific education for a while until they decided they were done.  Since my experience with them has been almost exclusively in dealing with the aftermath of homebirth disasters, I am not a fan.

There are also some lay midwives in this area who cater to the Amish population and, although, they are not licensed and what they do is not legal; many have excellent relationships with local MD's and CNM's and are able to refer patients who need it.  The state seems to look the other way when it comes to them, and, having spoken with multiple practitioners who've worked with them; they're quite capable and do a good job for their clients.  I don't consider them in the same league as the self-taught, semi-taught midwives doing homebirths.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4
On 3/17/2023 at 4:03 AM, circumvent said:

Was going to post just that. Why was she apologizing for the way "SHE behaved?"

I was surprised that Rome wasn't inside Maggie's vagina filming his next movie. 

Omg both of these things!! Wtf was the apology for?? Dr Jessica Bruno did nothing wrong. That Rome comment made me lol. 

I had three kids but all in a hospital. It was pretty messy from what I remember.  Maggie and Gary were just snuggled up in their regular bed in their regular sheets. There were no bodily fluids in sight!

Regina runs a food truck business. She hired Sophie who doesn’t need a job. What is preventing her from hiring Dustin and letting Sophie go? Wasn’t Sophie just working there for fun anyway? It was sweet that Val is letting them stay with her. I guess Val Jr doesn’t live with her?

I liked Greta better when she had some edge. She’s such a cheesy dork.  

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Notabug said:

Then again, these are people who accompany one another to the ER, to doctor's appointments and everywhere else.

ER and doctor's appointments, I can see. Being inside the doctor's office for news -- nope.

I've been in the ER by myself before, last time was last year, and it's a scary place to be when you're all by yourself.

The result of that ER visit and subsequent hospital stay for a few days was a cancer scare for me. I had a 3 pound "tumor" on one of my ovaries. Luckily, non-cancerous. But, whenever I had an oncology appointment, I had a friend who is my mentor at my church go with me to these appointments, so I wouldn't be alone and she could hear thing that I missed because I was so frightened. Plus, my own parents are 4 hours away and although Mom came up for my surgery, my mentor, who is now like my second mother, was there as well. And I'm forever grateful for her.

I've had friends wait with me in the ER, and I've waited with friends in the ER.

So, all of that I can relate to.

In fact, I'm still angry at the show when Eddie had his accident, and these co-dependent weirdos gathered in the ER to support Katherine--which I can completely understand--and then all except Gary left instead of supporting Katherine. That made me so angry. They don't know if Eddie will live or die, and they leave a grieving spouse alone? Except, thankfully, Gary came back.

I can absolutely see staying in this situation.

But, the whole gang being in the doctor's office to get news? No. That's weird.

I have a friend in real life -- well, more like "friend" in real life -- we share a mutual best friend. Now, my best friend and I have been friends for 25 years, and we've never had the kind of friendship that we need to know where both of us are at every moment of the day. This "friend" HAS to know where our best friend is at every moment of the day. If our best friend doesn't answer her call, which "friend" calls her every single night, within 15 minutes, "friend" calls me. "Have you heard from her??????"

When my best friend and I were watching Antman: Quantumania, "friend" called both of us three times, no doubt not wanting to know where I was but only where best friend was.

I've told my best friend that "friend" had better not figure out how to turn on the GPS on best friend's phone and maybe she should talk to "friend" about stalking.

"Friend" is a co-dependent weirdo, which makes me more annoyed with these co-dependent weirdos.

• Like 2
On 3/16/2023 at 1:45 AM, Notabug said:

There are supposedly 13 episodes this season, looks like they're setting up the end game.  Sophie is going to have to move out of the house now that it is sold.  So, she will magically get into Yale and move in with Tyrell?  We're going to be getting the Katherine/Greta very special wedding episode.  Eddie is going to end up running off to France I guess now that Greta can be Theo's second parent. Not that it makes sense, but this show is not about making sense.  Gary and Maggie have their child so I expect he will be in hospice shortly.  Regina's business partner is going to end up falling for the homeless guy and they will somehow buy out the food truck business so Regina can go back to school to be a social worker.

It appears that, even now that the pandemic travel restrictions have lifted, TPTB have realized that bringing Delilah/Stephanie Szostak and her terrible acting back is a really awful idea.  She'll make a quick appearance at Catherine's wedding, because, of course, Catherine will ask her ex husband's former mistress to attend.  She'll probably be matron of honor and catch the bouquet.  Then she'll head back to France with Eddie and the kid.

As someone who has actually delivered thousands of babies, I have no idea what was going one in the birthing scene.  I think TPTB were trying to imply there was a shoulder dystocia, but that happens only after the head is delivered which clearly hadn't happened and is one of the biggest emergencies in obstetrics and not the sort of thing where the midwife makes a couple of casual comments about it and waits a while before doing anything.  Once the head is out, the umbilical cord is compressed and the baby is not getting oxygen through it.  Meanwhile, the baby's chest is still in the birth canal and that prevents the kid from inhaling and starting to breathe.  The baby will die in a matter of minutes if it isn't resolved and, serious injury from lack of oxygen will happen long before that.  Whatever it was the midwife told Gary to do was nonsensical too.  Hold her leg and HE needs to push?  Say what?

Good screenwriting.  My only change is Eddie moving but reaching out to his girlfriend that moved earlier in the season ( because Delilah in a relationship and that man is now Charlie’s father figure).

On 3/18/2023 at 11:35 AM, desertflower said:

Given the show’s history, I’m honestly surprised the gang were sent into the hallway during the birth. I fully expected them to just camp out in the living room. 

I expected them to be in the bedroom with them

• Like 3
On 3/17/2023 at 12:59 AM, Lethallyfab said:

you can not act this clueless about what a Mucus Plug is or what Braxton-Hicks contractions are.

Mucus plug I would let slide since it's not something people say very often.  though the two words are pretty self explanatory.  But Braxton Hicks has been mentioned on every show in the history of television.  

• Like 2

This group hangs at the hospital do I get them hanging for the birth (I wouldn’t because those things take forever but this group would) but why not hang in a coffee shop down the street. This is Boston. They have places with chairs. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 3/16/2023 at 6:22 PM, LavenderSunset said:

They just took it apart, yet now they can't reverse the steps?

I was confused why they even took it apart to begin with. The doors to the Dixon house were big enough to fit it through and Eddie owns a van right? Don't seats go down in the back in most minivans/SUVs these days? And the apartment door at Maggies & Gary's looked wide enough too. 

On 3/16/2023 at 7:14 PM, ams1001 said:

I feel bad for people named Chad*. I have a cousin named Chad and he is a super nice, chill guy. Not a Chad.

I worked with a guy named Chad and he was super cool. Actually, the whole department was, we were united in our mutual dislike/despair over our mean boss. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BluBarbi98 said:

I was confused why they even took it apart to begin with. The doors to the Dixon house were big enough to fit it through and Eddie owns a van right? Don't seats go down in the back in most minivans/SUVs these days? And the apartment door at Maggies & Gary's looked wide enough too. 

I thought the crib had been taken apart for storage purposes and then when Maggie was going to have a baby the co-dependent weirdos pressed it into action by putting it back together.

On 4/10/2023 at 4:06 AM, CrystalBlue said:

I thought the crib had been taken apart for storage purposes and then when Maggie was going to have a baby the co-dependent weirdos pressed it into action by putting it back together.

Nope. When they went to the Dixon (is that their last name?) house the crib was still assembled in Charley's room. Eddie comments that his daughter didn't use it often. They talk for a bit, Gary freaks out, and Eddie starts taking it a part. I guess we can fanwank that it wasn't wide enough to fit through the bedroom door. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, BluBarbi98 said:

Nope. When they went to the Dixon (is that their last name?) house the crib was still assembled in Charley's room. Eddie comments that his daughter didn't use it often. They talk for a bit, Gary freaks out, and Eddie starts taking it a part. I guess we can fanwank that it wasn't wide enough to fit through the bedroom door. 

Considering Charlie is about 4 years old, we can only hope that she wasn't using it often by that point.  

• LOL 3

Plus didn't Charley cut her baby teeth in France?  Delilah whisked the baby away soon after she was born to take her father to France, etc., etc.

Do we know what happened to Delilah's father in France after he supposedly fell down or got sick or something and then COVID hit? I can't remember.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Plus didn't Charley cut her baby teeth in France?  Delilah whisked the baby away soon after she was born to take her father to France, etc., etc.

Do we know what happened to Delilah's father in France after he supposedly fell down or got sick or something and then COVID hit? I can't remember.

There might have been a single line somewhere in the last year or so that said he died, but I sure don't remember it.

• Like 1