Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: If You Can't Stand the Heat

I didn't realize until well into the episode that the reason they had no A/C at the station was because of the power drain due to the heat wave (rolling brownouts?).  I kept wondering how they could keep working at a place that had no A/C.  They looked realistic though, all sweaty and uncomfortable.  It made me appreciate my nice air-conditioned home (and might keep me from griping for a little while about my high electric bill during the hot, humid summer).

Sipowitz was cute, but he reminded me of Joe Friday and Maura's tortoise (I forget his name).  Whatever happened to them?

I assume that the killer used the ice to keep the body from being discovered too soon (like they mentioned), but it only worked halfway, since half the body was above the water.  I guess that the killer didn't realize that when the ice melted the body would float?

Korsak calling the dog "Sipowicz" gave me a good laugh.  That's about all I remember, and it has only been three hours since the episode ended. 

Oh, and Frankie panting like a dog.  That was funny, too.

I will say that the "If [Hot for Jane Dweeb] shows up, tell him I'm spending the night at your house" style of pandering to a fan base the show has no intention of satisfying is somehow less annoying to me under this new showrunner than it was the last.  I don't ship Maura and Jane - although I'd have no problem with such a relationship being established - but I was so often annoyed with the "ha ha, we'll pat you little lesbian shippers on the head with deliberate teases even though we're committed to the canon they're "just" friends [HATE friendships being reduced that way, but that's what is said]" stylings in the past.  This season, it just gives me a chuckle.

Edited by Bastet

I didn't understand how the dead guy was burnt?  Or had the body been there so long it was decomposing?  If that was the case, wouldn't the core temperature have been higher?  And how the heck did they figure out who the perp was?  One minute they were talking to the kidnap victim and the next they had the bad guy.  What?  I was so confused.

So what was the point of Angela being in this episode? Ah the tea and how it made her very sexual and horny? Really?

I think her flirting with Vince was supposed to be cute and funny. And we are suppose to start shipping Vince/Angela now? I thought it was disgusting because he is now Jane's partner. Wasn't it enough she dated her boss before? The minute she started flirting I fast forwarded it. I never resented Angela until this season.

Forget about Maura's boyfriend, what happened to Cavanaugh? Don't they report to anybody anymore? I guess what they are paying Lorraine Bracco every episode now they can't afford to get a new captain for the show. Or even get Hope or Cailin to appear even once.

I was relieved when they showed Vince's car that they didn't go the route of making it into a commercial like they had previously. Then, unfortunately, they gave us a commercial for cars.com or whatever the hell that was. I watch this show mostly for the leads, but they are really testing my patience with it this season.

I was sure we were going to get a commercial for whatever tea Angela was drinking. I don't mind natural product placement, but this show gets on my nerves with their blatant advertising.

I was so sure that the guy got killed by the landlord in order to up the rent.  So sure.   And I was really puzzled by the age of the kidnapped son.  So, then I thought perhaps the son was faking the crazy and was just avoiding work, living the life of no-stress in an upscale institution (which that really wasn't), and had planned the entire kidnapping and given the money to the deceased.  I'm still a little puzzled as to how the murder occurred (seriously, in the new trendy part of town, no one noticed ice being hauled into an apartment?)

Lengthy statement on a/c:

And as a former Bostonian, let me (hopefully) explain the air conditioning issues.  Older buildings are rarely equipped with central air.  In theory, this would include the police precinct.  (In reality, if it had a holding area for prisoners, this is inaccurate.  The prisoners would sue and win.)  Additionally, the electric would be older and potentially not able to handle any more load.  I used to work in IT for a college.  My help desk was in the sub-basement of a 1912 library.  We did have 3 windows, all equipped with window units.  Those would supplement the overloaded air conditioning in the building to keep it at about 83 and swampy in the room when we had a heat wave.  The actual server room was safely in a new building -- it was just the people who were uncomfortable.  Fortunately, the university saw the error in this and relocated us to the icy cool, new gymnasium basement. (Sure the spinning studio next to my office got loud, but the cool was worth it!)  The library got remodeled by donations from generous alums and now it's lovely.

So what was the point of Angela being in this episode? Ah the tea and how it made her very sexual and horny?

My guess is that someone convinced TPTB that Angela needed a special excuse for that red dress because LB recently dropped about 35 pounds and wants to show it off.

I don't really mind Angela as an occasional comic relief, as long as she is not trying to be "Mommy" to all these grown-ass adults.

There always seems to be an excuse to insert Angela which is what is annoying. She never was in every episode before until this season and she is unnecessary. Her overly protective gossiping mothering is so tiring that before i used to hurry home just to catch this show but now I only watch it on my DVR so I can skip her scenes. 

• Love 1
I guess what they are paying Lorraine Bracco every episode now they can't afford to get a new captain for the show. Or even get Hope or Cailin to appear even once.

I honestly would be happy to never see Hope or Cailin again.  They never result in anything good for Maura, and are boring when they aren't being selfish.  I would like to see Maura's adoptive mother, though.  I was very interested in that relationship, and then nothing.

What happened to Jane's baby-daddy?  Does he even know that Jane had a miscarriage?

• Love 2
I honestly would be happy to never see Hope or Cailin again.  They never result in anything good for Maura, and are boring when they aren't being selfish.  I would like to see Maura's adoptive mother, though.  I was very interested in that relationship, and then nothing.

I think they can't get Jacqueline Bissett back. Maybe since they are paying LB a lot of money now that she is a regular and is in EVERY episode, they can't afford big names anymore. lol

I was so hoping that LB's sitcom was going to get picked up by Fox so she won't be on R & I as much but unfortunately, Fox passed on it.

I was so hoping that LB's sitcom was going to get picked up by Fox so she won't be on R & I as much but unfortunately, Fox passed on it.

Maybe Fox figured out LB just isn't funny. At least, not here.

If the A/C was out due to rolling blackouts, wouldn't that affect everything run by electricity?  The lights and computers seemed to be working fine.  

I don't think they explained this well. One thing that sometimes happens is that large users of electricity are asked to cut back. This might include raising the thermostat to keep the AC from running on high constantly. Generally, they get monetary credit from the utility for cooperating in this way. The city of Boston might be participating in such a program. Also, under-powered, overtaxed A/C systems will sometimes fail mechanically, even if they don't fail electrically. I've worked in offices where each of these things has happened.

I was relieved when they showed Vince's car that they didn't go the route of making it into a commercial like they had previously. Then, unfortunately, they gave us a commercial for cars.com or whatever the hell that was. I watch this show mostly for the leads, but they are really testing my patience with it this season.

I was sure we were going to get a commercial for whatever tea Angela was drinking. I don't mind natural product placement, but this show gets on my nerves with their blatant advertising.

Did you catch the Rosetta Stone commercial?

I was a little surprised Jane was OK with opening a fire hydrant, but I guess they have spray caps that are perfectly legal (in NYC anyway) because they minimize the impact on water pressure. I guess we can presume that was in use, Certainly the hydrant wasn't gushing.

Surprised that Maura took the aphrodisiac thing at face value. While many drugs affect libido in one way or another, a substance that acts like the colloquial idea of an aphrodisiac has never been scientifically demonstrated. Most "natural" aphrodisiac claims are highly implausible, and Aji Charipita seems no different in that respect.

• Love 3

My guess is that someone convinced TPTB that Angela needed a special excuse for that red dress because LB recently dropped about 35 pounds and wants to show it off.

Oh, was that why Angela's, ahem, girls were on display? I was wondering about that, because wow.

I like Angela okay and thinks she's kind of funny, but only in small doses.  

I noticed the product placement as well, especially auto.com (or whatever) and Rosetta Stone.  I had forgotten how annoying that can be until I recently caught up on 'Bones' by watching four episodes each weekday.  For at least one full season, they were really pushing the 'let's stop discussing the murder so I can describe what cool thing my car can do today' (Prius?)routine for a while.  I never noticed it to be a problem on 'Rizzoli & Isles' until last night.

They're pretty horrible about it on R&I.  I don't so much mind the more typical product placement, like lingering on the beer bottle's label (and Peroni is pretty good beer), but it's the in-show commercials where characters start randomly extolling the virtues of things like Dr. Scholl's, AutoTrader, Rosetta Stone, whatever car they were waxing on about in multiple episodes a season or two ago, etc. that drive me crazy.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

OK, I would officially watch a spinoff with Korsak and the Spanish-speaking dog.  My "let's just make it about Korsak" feelings continue.  As long as Angela isn't part of it.  Yeesh that was weird.

This case was more muddled than most.  

I'm basically learning to ignore the product placement.  These shows have to bring in the advertisers, and on cable, there aren't as many eyeballs.  I do think the AutoTrader thing wasn't as egregious as the Dr. Scholl's thing last year.

• Love 2

So what was the point of Angela being in this episode? Ah the tea and how it made her very sexual and horny? Really?

I think her flirting with Vince was supposed to be cute and funny. And we are suppose to start shipping Vince/Angela now? I thought it was disgusting because he is now Jane's partner. Wasn't it enough she dated her boss before? The minute she started flirting I fast forwarded it. I never resented Angela until this season.

Forget about Maura's boyfriend, what happened to Cavanaugh? Don't they report to anybody anymore? I guess what they are paying Lorraine Bracco every episode now they can't afford to get a new captain for the show. Or even get Hope or Cailin to appear even once.

I agree. I would have loved for Maura to get some time this season with Hope. I would love to see if they bond as mother daughter or if there is just too much distance. I actually loved the ONE scene last year where Maura and her mom spoke about Patrick and Hope's past. I wish they cared enough about Maura to give her character some development.

I didn't understand how the dead guy was burnt?  Or had the body been there so long it was decomposing?  If that was the case, wouldn't the core temperature have been higher?  And how the heck did they figure out who the perp was?  One minute they were talking to the kidnap victim and the next they had the bad guy.  What?  I was so confused.

I'll try to un-confuse you.  :)  He wasn't burnt.  His upper body was decomposing in the heat. It just looks a little like burns.  His core temp was so low because he had been packed in ice. Enough time had passed for the ice to melt, but not enough for his core temp to come all the way back up.

They found the other perp by going through the dead kidnapper's phone records from the year of (or leading up to, I don't remember) the kidnapping, and finding the name of someone he spoke to frequently who had a record and was a fisherman.  The kidnap victim had said he heard a foghorn and smelled "sewage", which Korsak decided was low tide and voila! They have the bad guy.  Frankie is getting pretty good at coming out of nowhere for the take down.  I was very proud of him.

I love the way Korsak names all his animals after TV detectives.

Edited by anstar
  • Love 2

Then, unfortunately, they gave us a commercial for cars.com or whatever the hell that was. I don't mind natural product placement.

I noticed that Auto Trader ridiculousness immediately and it was followed by a Rosetta Stone comment that was just as awkward. The first thing that popped into my head was all the sloppy product placements on Smallville, that shit drove me crazy. It was probably even more aggravating and obvious because I had just watched a shitty product placement for AccuVue contacts in a Smallville episode not two hours earlier. At least the beer one seemed more natural to the scene.

Angela needs to meet a guy, get married and move to California, I am beginning to develop a hate for that character like no other. By the time the last scene rolled around I was sitting there thinking, "Oh great, another gratuitous shot of Angela's rack, whoop-de-do."

I agree with the comment about Frankie getting good at tackling the bad guys. That's one character that has grown into his job in a natural progression from being a beat cop who works his way up to the homicide division and Jordan plays his character so well.

Someone up thread mentioned that this season has way too many solved the crime in the last 10 minutes of the episode. That's annoying as hell, they didn't do that last week and I think that made last week's episode better than this week's because they actually spent most of the hour working on the case. I'm hoping that when this comes back for the second half of the season, that they have those specific kinks worked out.

On a side note, thank you phone for making me have to edit this post a hundred times thanks to auto-correct.

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 1

I'll try to un-confuse you.  :)  

Thank you!  I had a rather bad migraine while watching it and the brain cells just weren't connecting.  And even my husband, who walked through the room at the end of the episode commented that they found the other guy way too fast.  It was rather head spinning.

Although the show will be renewed since it's TNT's one of their highest rated show, it worries me because they have not waited this long before to renew the show.. Usually by the time the summer finale comes they already have been renewed. The network need to seriously start thinking about Lorraine Bracco's contract. They need to cut her episodes next season. And i'm pretty sure she is making a decent amount of money. Usually tin a series the cast is contracted for 5 years and after, they re-negotiate. I do think that is what is holding it up. Both Sasha and Angie will need to renegotiate their contracts. I believe Angie is making more money than Sasha. If I were Sasha's agent, i would demand an equal salary.