Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E07: The Daytona Wind 2

• Start Topic

Boy, the editors come really close to attacking their own product with their weird and mocking use of the laugh track. If you watch the episode with subtitles (or subtitties), many of the worst bits -- which, remember, the queens did not write themselves -- are labelled with "strange, drawn-out laughter noises" or "coughing", and lends the entire exercise with an extra layer of cringe. Which is the one thing that these lilliputian episodes did not need more of.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 4

I was really impressed with Anetra and Marcia, they were basically acting in a “real” sitcom.

I can’t stand Mistress, she was as great as they said she was and her outfit was awful.

The length of these comedy sketches is criminal, especially when we have to go through everything else so quickly, they couldn’t cut out some of the dead air in the sketch?

Edited by cpcathy
  • Like 4

Yeah, the "sitcom overlay" stuff made it less funny. Like, why are you intentionally inserting awkward pauses? Or was the acting so bad that I missed a bit that would've made sense/made it funny? 

The only times I laughed were: the door slam, and a moment with Anetra and Marcia that I now can't even remember...but I remember they made me laugh once. So, kinda no winners in this one.

Jax realllllly fucked it up. She had a clear hook handed to her and did nothing with it. Props for backflips though.

• Like 3

A) Danny Trejo makes everything better, and is the only thing tolerable about this episode.

B) I was barely paying attention, and I knew through the whole thing who was getting eliminated.

Maybe they should just stop airing now, go back and re-edit the episodes to fit the 90 minute format we're finally getting back, and just start again. 

• Like 3

Okay, firstly, the gag of the first Daytona Winds was that Ru & Crew added all the farts after the fact, without the queens or audience’s advance knowledge, thus the funny. Tipping the hand in advance to the queens that the joke would be sitcom soundtracks undercuts the funny.

Didn’t Ru say that the bizarro surreal editing choices for Daytona Wind was a homage to Tim & Eric’s Awesome Show?  That explains the completely bizarre anti-humor bent of it, but, anti-humor still has to be still humor, IMO.  And it makes me even more okay in the fact that I have never watched Tim & Eric.  (I’ve seen enough memes on the internet and I still don’t get it.)

I’m sure there’s a Venn Diagram for people for whom they overlap but the target audience for Tim & Eric and RPDR seems remarkably different to me.  IMHO, It was just an overall bad choice by Ru & the crew because it made even the funny queens seem less funny.

Also, pick a lane — do you want to be a parody of 80s soap operas or a parody of sitcom tropes or an absurdist anti-humor comedy that causes us to question “what even *is* humor anyway?”  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ananayel said:

A) Danny Trejo makes everything better, and is the only thing tolerable about this episode.

B) I was barely paying attention, and I knew through the whole thing who was getting eliminated.

Maybe they should just stop airing now, go back and re-edit the episodes to fit the 90 minute format we're finally getting back, and just start again. 

They really should but I don't think we'll be so lucky.

Trejo doing Vanjie >>>>>> everything else.

ETA: Loosey's definitely my favorite, but gurl: It's fine to say you're disappointed you weren't in the top once you're backstage. Once. Then let it go.

Edited by PhoneCop
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

ETA: Loosey's definitely my favorite, but gurl: It's fine to say you're disappointed you weren't in the top once you're backstage. Once. Then let it go.

She out-Janned Jan with that long, drawn out whine about the unfairness of being safe 🙄

The Jax lip sync was everything!  Bye, Aura, this episode made her win last week over Sasha even more puzzling.

And, Mistress, stfu with your "I'm sick of Sasha making everything a teaching moment!"  Quit being a shi÷ stirrer and no correction/mediation would be required.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I'm sure there’s a Venn Diagram for people for whom they overlap but the target audience for Tim & Eric and RPDR seems remarkably different to me.  IMHO, It was just an overall bad choice by Ru & the crew because it made even the funny queens seem less funny.

I'm not part of the overlap, I have no idea who Tim and Eric are.

32 minutes ago, littlebennysmom said:

🙄Mistress, stfu with your "I'm sick of Sasha making everything a teaching moment!" 

I thought that was the funniest thing!  I hate it when someone as anoints themselves den mother.

• Like 1

My son is a big Tim and Eric fan and I’ve watched some episodes with him but nothing about this resembled their type of humor. The pauses between dialogue just came off as strange. I liked the Danny Trejo part and thought it was a fun runway idea but the sitcom skit was bad.

• Like 1

That was such a painful ep to watch. Trejo was definitely the best part of the episode!!! “Vanjie” while walking backwards had me rolling! Otherwise it was such a miss. The whole script didn’t work at all. The 2nd best part was definitely the door slam. 

mistress annoyed the crap out of me - her “I’m so understanding” over and over. If you have to tell people that multiple times, you probably actually aren’t! If the whole metal part was truly just a joke, which it wasn’t, they let it go way too far. I would have also been frustrated if I had been the other team. They weren’t budging. And to me it was a bit of bully behavior to get it your way. And instead they went for gaslighting/switching the argument around to say how dare you say it is bullying instead of just listening to how the others felt, apologizing without caveats and move on. Ugh. 

back to this ep. The runway was great. The only outfit I didn’t love was Mistress’ puffy diaper. I think if she had gone for the puffy up top and sleek panties with the chaps which were good, I think it might have been better for me. And I’m so glad that they finally said something about Spice doing the same runway walk every time. Michelle was shooting daggers with her eyes when she left the runway at the end with it. It is such the sugar and spice thing going right along with the airhead head tilting thing too. That dumb bit is funniest when you actually show smarts with it. And it’s like they just rest on being cute so they don’t have to try harder. 

and the whole educational moment thing - well then stop doing immature stuff that warrants it all the time!!! 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, Ananayel said:

Danny Trejo made watching this ep worthwhile. This man is a true fan and a prince, LOVE him. I was honestly hoping it wasn't the real Steve Urkel at the door since Ru said Urkel's catchphrase in the werk room. I do agree on who was eliminated, there were flashes of possibility & talent with Aura but she needs more time to mature.this

Once Ru spilled the beans about the sitcom aspect of it I knew it wasn't gonna be as great as the original Daytona Wind. Why not just direct the queens to act sitcom-y but not tell them about the laugh track & other noises added in post?? 

Also a prince: Harvey Guillen. He is darling! Love him on WWDITS and love him as a guest judge here. 

I think MTV screwed up by only giving this season 60 minute episodes & foisting that WeHo show onto the world-class, yay for giving in & expanding some of the remaining eps to 90 minutes but I don't think this network is a good fit for the show. 

• Like 7
22 hours ago, slaterain said:

back to this ep. The runway was great. The only outfit I didn’t love was Mistress’ puffy diaper. I think if she had gone for the puffy up top and sleek panties with the chaps which were good, I think it might have been better for me. And I’m so glad that they finally said something about Spice doing the same runway walk every time. Michelle was shooting daggers with her eyes when she left the runway at the end with it. It is such the sugar and spice thing going right along with the airhead head tilting thing too. That dumb bit is funniest when you actually show smarts with it. And it’s like they just rest on being cute so they don’t have to try harder. 

I thought the same thing when I saw Mistress' outfit.  😳

Ru had the best line when Spice trotted out the same walk after Michelle read her for it:  "Cue the sniper!"

• LOL 5

This season started off so well, too. Last season went on forever, and this one is ridiculously abbreviated. But did they trim the dead air from Daytona Winds? Or just give us the highlights? No... I miss the judges' discussions the most. The exit order feels very paint by numbers, also.

Edited by violet and green
clarity
On 2/11/2023 at 6:30 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I thought Anetra or even Anetra and Marcia should have won. The judges are way more enamored with Mistress than I am lol.

amen!  i didn't think Mistress was anything special in the "sitcom" and her runway outfit was NOT. GOOD.  hey i'm all for body positivity but that outfit was incredibly ill-fitting at best and just plain ugly at worst.

i am a fan of Tim & Eric and i am a fan of RPDR but i 100% didn't clock the homage until Ru said something, and then i was still like... uh... what just happened?

i think Marcia^3 just needs 20% more camp and she'd do great.  sure, her outfit was kinda basic, but glue some shiny plastic icicles along the seams and i think the judges would've eaten it up.

• Like 4

This is an unpopular opinion, but I didn't care for the original Daytona Winds (not a fan of the cheesy writing in ANY of the acting challenges), but this year's version makes the original look like Shakespeare.  I guess I'm one of the masses that missed the point.

• Like 5