Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Welcome to the Bachelor Party

• Start Topic

Niecy and Marty should break up, but it seems like they (the show) went through a lot to put them together.

I did like that Niecy doesn’t dislike kids. One of my best friends has never wanted kids, but she likes them - she’s a teacher! She just doesn’t want them, so she doesn’t have any. She’s married to a man who also doesn’t want them, because of course she is. It’s a fundamental incompatibility to be on opposite sides of the kids/no kids line.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Niecy and Marty should break up, but it seems like they (the show) went through a lot to put them together.

I did like that Niecy doesn’t dislike kids. One of my best friends has never wanted kids, but she likes them - she’s a teacher! She just doesn’t want them, so she doesn’t have any. She’s married to a man who also doesn’t want them, because of course she is. It’s a fundamental incompatibility to be on opposite sides of the kids/no kids line.

Niecy and Marty seem like a pretty odd pairing so I hope they do break up, especially given the kids/no kids divide

Spoiler

Next week’s promo seems to indicate they do break up

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This was a fun episode.  I laughed so hard at Marty with the cigar, 😂.  I adore Malcom and Marty.

I'm glad Dave wasn't stupid obnoxious. When they were describing "the douche" I was honestly expecting so much worse than what he was.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I wish they would have explained who the people were that Marty picked to be at his Bachelor Party, were they all nerdy rocket scientists? That could have been interesting/funny to have Calvin walk in to the middle of one of their conversations.

• Like 2

I liked Dave in this episode. The part where Calvin said "it's not even lit" and Dave went "But it's about to be!" was so funny and well-timed.

About Marty-Necie....the show spent NO time laying the groundwork for their relationship and we barely saw them properly bonding as a couple, so I can't feel sad about them breaking up. Even without the kids stuff, they never made sense as a couple.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Harvey said:

I liked Dave in this episode. The part where Calvin said "it's not even lit" and Dave went "But it's about to be!" was so funny and well-timed.

There was a moment where the server asked if anyone had been to a bourbon tasting and Dave was like “Me and [other guy] know what’s up! [Other guy], where you at?” and dapped him up. I cracked up. It was the delivery. I also laughed at Tina’s boots analogy and how she got progressively more unhinged as she went on.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

"Dave the Douche" was hilarious.  Gemma's ominous warnings and dread had me worried that he'd really turn nasty, but "Dave the Douche" is kind of a fun guy!  I could see that if the evening continued, he could become much less fun, so he got cut off at just the right time.  I hope this is one and done, and doesn't turn into a "very special episode" where Dave confesses a drinking problem.

I like Marty and Niecey together.  I like how Niecey deals with Tina.  I like how nerdy, geeky Marty found an amazingly hot athlete of a girlfriend who is also a little nerdy and geeky.  I like to see how much confidence and validation that has given Marty.  I guess I'm an outlier here because I'd like them to stay together.  Maybe Niecey takes a good look at her decision, and realizes maybe she should think about having kids a little more.  (And I say this as someone who chose not to have kids, knowing how annoying it is for people to question that choice.) 

Solid episode.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I like Marty and Niecey together.  I like how Niecey deals with Tina.  I like how nerdy, geeky Marty found an amazingly hot athlete of a girlfriend who is also a little nerdy and geeky.  I like to see how much confidence and validation that has given Marty.  I guess I'm an outlier here because I'd like them to stay together. 

I liked them together too, for all the reasons you say. They both seemed to bring out the best in each other. I'm a little sad the writers decided to go down this route to have them with a fundamental difference about kids. But I was kind of surprised when Marty said they agreed not to have kids. His characterization has never struck me as someone who doesn't want them. Not that there's an obvious sign about wanting/not wanting kids but he's always seemed as though he's going to be the type of dad who is deeply involved with his kids. Like I can totally envision him being a dad. (And now I want that spin off show of Malcolm and Marty living next door to each other with their wives and kids with the occasional pop-in from their parents and Dave and Gemma)

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

(And now I want that spin off show of Malcolm and Marty living next door to each other with their wives and kids with the occasional pop-in from their parents and Dave and Gemma)

I would watch the heck out of that show!  Actually, I kind of hope that's what this show turns into.  Both Malcolm and Marty have their feet under them now, and are fully fleshed characters rather than just "bickering brothers, comedy foils" they seemed to be in the early seasons.  This show is kind of becoming an ensemble sitcom rather than just a vehicle for Cedric The Entertainer.  And that's all to the good, because as the brothers have developed, so has Calvin.  Today's Calvin is a whole lot more nuanced than the original Calvin that started this series, and I like that.  Likewise, Dave is less annoying, Gemma is less shrill, Tina's developed layers...and Grover?  Well, he got taller.  Child actors can really be hit or miss, eh? 

• Like 6

Marty and Malcolm are my favorite characters.  They are both just truly nice people.  The kind of people you want good things for.  And I, too, would watch the heck out of Marty & Malcolm as neighbors - as long as the writers didn’t give them pushy wives and smart-ass kids.

• Like 8
19 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Marty and Malcolm are my favorite characters.  They are both just truly nice people.  The kind of people you want good things for.  And I, too, would watch the heck out of Marty & Malcolm as neighbors - as long as the writers didn’t give them pushy wives and smart-ass kids.

When Malcolm landed his dream job, I was as happy as if he were a real person I knew. It didn’t help that Calvin teared up with pride about it.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
22 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

This is why I like this show and others like it. The Neighborhood, Abbott Elementary, Ghosts, Home Economics, Grand Crew, and so many others feature just nice people. They're still funny but no one has to be mean or edgy or a jackass.  I like all the characters here. And I liked Neecie. I liked the differences between her and Tina.

(And I say this as someone's who's favorite comedy is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia).

• Like 5