Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E15: A Finale For The Ages Part One/S21.E16: A Finale for the Ages Part 2

jewel21
  • Start Topic

S21.E15: A Finale For The Ages Part One

The final three chefs create their own menus for Hell's Kitchen, with each round of dishes judged by five incredible world-renowned chefs where one will be eliminated.

S21.E16: A Finale for the Ages Part 2

The previously eliminated contestants return to help the final two as they go head-to-head for the last time in Hell's Kitchen. Only one chef will earn the Head Chef position at Hell's Kitchen in Atlantic City, the $250,000 cash prize, and the coveted title.

Airdate: 02/09/2023 

Two Hour Season Finale!

Editing could have played around all season, but it was clear from episode one Alex was winning this.

I’ve watched every season of this show but when they showed clips of past years during Gordon’s Endless Ballroom Tour, I felt like I had never seen any of those people in my life.  Well I think I maybe sort of kinda recognized Ariel.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

I would have been happy with any of the final three winning but I agree that Alex was the anointed one this season.

And, Cheyenne, get over yourself.  We all saw your elimination episode where you crashed and burned.  Stop blaming Daphne.

• Like 3

I live in Murfreesboro and ate at Alex’s restaurant on Valentine’s Day 2020 before everything went crazy. I had the scallops and my husband had short ribs and both were delicious. We waited too late to make reservations and got a 9:00 time. It stayed busy and had a great reputation.

• Like 7
  • Useful 3

Not a surprise that Alex won this season, he was the strongest and most level headed. Dafne seemed to have quite a bit of anxiety attacks and I wonder if that had something to do with the result as well since the job could be tough for her if that continues. Tara and Abe did really well, Sakari struggled more than I expected.

Dafne may have thrown Cheyenne under the bus but Cheyenne made a lot of mistakes on the fish station that night and would have went home regardless.

The sound bath was an interesting experience I will say.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

someone standing over me making noise

Don't forget the swinging Pyramid Power thing swinging around over the contestants. The whole thing was a bunch of 1980ish new age claptrap. I give the contestants credit for their acting skills in enthusiastically reading their scripted love for this wonderful experience.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Does anyone think Alejandro should have been 1 of the 2?  Or was the goal to have a young ‘un go against an oldy?  Lol at me calling Alex ‘oldy’   

Haven’t watched closely.

• Like 2

I had seen spoilers saying that Alex won but I didn't relax until he finally did.  I'd been in his court since the first episode so I was very relieved when his door opened.  I did feel a bit sorry for Dafne's parents who seemed lovely because they had to be disappointed.  Dafne handled herself well at the end and she's young so she'll be fine.

• Like 2

To be honest, I am glad this season is DONE!!! I finally got to watch it today and was I disappointed!! This season was dull and ended dull. Did they get new writers? I swear the chefs were all acting like they were in  some sort of snooze fest. All the talking head scenes were nothing but the chefs constantly repeating themselves. They all kept saying the same stuff but with rearranged words. It was all about how each chef was going to win, this was their chance for a better future, etc etc. Same stuff in a very boring delivery. There was something off about this season. There was no good vibe going on. Sorta missed that chef who was hated by everyone.  sure hope Gordon goes back to his earlier script and puts some energy back in the show!!!

• Like 1

When the three contestants were preparing their menus for the challenge I was surprised that Christina actually suggested the egg pasta for Dafne and she agreed.  It didn't seem like the other chefs helped their contestants to that degree (outside of 'that sounds boring,' etc.).  Dafne did well with that pasta and got a lot of praise for it, but I just found it surprising that Christina so actively contributed to Dafne's menu.

Dafne should not have been in the final, plain and simple. Not because she's not talented--far from it. Her plating and creativity are absolutely off the charts. But those aren't the skills needed to run the line in a restaurant where creativity isn't a big thing. The winning chef has to be someone who can ensure his brigade will put out consistently perfect food from a pre-defined menu, mainly for old people in a city that's arguably one of the worst places in the entire country. It absolutely should have been Alex vs Alejandro in the final battle, and I would have been fine with either one.

I have zero doubt that Alejandro will be running a high-end kitchen sooner rather than later, with or without Gordo's help. Dafne and Sommer both deserve to train under well-respected chefs to refine their palates and techniques, and get a bit more experience under their belts before taking the big step into becoming a head chef somewhere. I don't think they're ready yet, but when they are, I can see either or both of them earning Michelin Stars. Alejandro too, for that matter. But Alex was definitely the better of the two in the finale and I know he'll thrive running the line.

• Like 4

I pegged Alex as the winner early on and the editing seemed to indicate that too, but it didn't bother me because I thought he was the best candidate for the job and just a really all around nice person.  Plus he really earned it given all the punishments he endured.  It also didn't hurt that he was easy on the eyes, LOL.  I just see Alex as the right person at the right time in the right place.  Not that the others weren't qualified but somehow his background and experience plus his circumstances made this a perfect fit for him.  And that even factors in Atlantic City.  While it's a dump there are some decent towns within easy commuting distance that would be OK to raise a family such as Northfield and Linwood.

I'm not sure why there isn't more enthusiasm for this season.  I personally found it a refreshing change from years ago when there was nothing but sophomoric drama, and I'm personally over Ramsay's early days of being a cursing hardass.  I think the show is responding to the new climate of wanting a kinder, gentler approach to competitions on TV and I am personally 100% on board with that.  Top Chef has also toned down the nastiness and drama.  I don't know what could be more entertaining about this.  It's a cooking competition, not "Real Housewives" or a sporting event, despite what Guy Fieri does to make "Tournament of Champions" into one.   I feel that the change in the show over the past few seasons has been done very well, but that's JMHO.

• Like 3

I thought Alex was a sure bet for second, based on how prior seasons have gone.  I "called it" that Tara would be the last chef eliminated before the black jackets.  She was an okay chef, but knew how to bring the drama . . . so they kept her right up until it was time to concentrate on the better chefs.

Similarly, Alex seemed like such a slam-dunk to win that I thought he'd blow it on the last episode and end up in second.  Must admit - when it came time to run the kitchen on that last episode, he looked like he was in his element.  Good job!!!