Type keyword(s) to search

Babylon (2022)

AngieBee1
  • Start Topic

Damien Chazelle's bold, audacious dazzling look at a group of people at the juncture when the silent films pivoted to sound and the effect it has on their careers.

Saw it twice in theaters and enjoyed it on the highest of levels both times. An astonishment of a film with stunning performances. It's a career best for Margot Robbie IMO, a gorgeous heartfelt performance by Brad Pitt and Diego Calva is a revelation. Sadly

The score is outrageous. Justin Hurwitz and as shocking as the lack of acting and cinematography nominations are, I am happy that the Academy nominated him for Best Score.

It's a glorious paean to the era and the players.

A really interesting film. Deliberately excessive to the point that it has obviously turned off some people, but there are a few sequences here that rate among the best things Chazelle has ever done -- the first attempt at filming a scene with recorded sound being my favourite.

• Like 1
On 2/1/2023 at 8:15 PM, AngieBee1 said:

The score is outrageous.

I adored the "background" music that played throughout the movie.  I was actually humming it when I left the theater.

55 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Deliberately excessive to the point that it has obviously turned off some people, but there are a few sequences here that rate among the best things Chazelle has ever done -- the first attempt at filming a scene with recorded sound being my favourite.

I usually find deliberately excessive kind of thrilling (the trailer was certainly thrilling), but the movie itself seemed like a bit of a mess.  However, I agree without about the sequence of filming a scene with recorded sound.  It was absolutely fantastic.

• Like 1

I finally watched it last night.  I had been avoiding it. While it’s over the top I couldn’t take my eyes off it. Margo Robbie and Diego Calva, wow. The scene where Margo projectile vomits on the snobs at Hearst Castle was pretty funny. The score was also great.  I can’t stop thinking about it. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie