Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: Geno and Nico's Journey

• Start Topic

As an Italian American, Geno was raised with lots of love, family and food. Now, he's still living with his mom and eating himself to death, and it's time to make a change. Geno's cousin, Nico, joins the cause, and they pledge to lose weight together.

Original air date 2023.02.01

Dragging this comment from @Hellga from the live chat because it locked just before I hit post, apparently!
(Also replacing my previous post that I meant to post over there...)

Always is!

I really wish they would go back to doing surgery earlier in the episode and following them for a bit afterward to see how they do. It was more interesting that way.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

At least they had the surgery  Last season i watched none of the 600 pounders were losing the weight to get approved 

i miss the days when we saw them a lot skinnier at the end of the show 

wish geno & nico luck.   I’m sure if momma geno had moved to Houston it would have been a more exciting episode , she seemed to like to push Genoa’s buttons with passive aggressive remarks lol 

Peace out pounders !! 

Edited by DNR
Sp
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Dragging this comment from @Hellga

I really wish they would go back to doing surgery earlier in the episode and following them for a bit afterward to see how they do. It was more interesting that way.

these two did take like five months after being approved to actually move to Houston and get back in to be approved. I was worried that with the delay, they would both fall off and not get surgery at all.

maybe I’m losing some of my callous, but dammit, I liked these guys. They did the work and they seem like nice people. They were two of the most functional poundticipants I’ve seen in a long time and I’m rooting for their continued success.

Did I miss what happened to Julia, Geno’s girlfriend. Last mention I caught was that she didn’t stop by the day Geno left for Houston and she wasn’t picking up her phone. I guess now with him discovering his inner Texan he can just lasso another…

• Like 15

These guys did wonderful .....great for them.  They made it look easy.   I do believe men have an easier time in general losing weight.   (Yes I do remember the Assanti bros and James K,  as there are exceptions).   I was kinda bored watching this one...I guess I find the trainwrecks more snarkful and entertaining.   I watch these shows for the drama....I'll admit it 🤷‍♀️

• Like 7

Watching late. Did they ever explain Geno’s mother’s uncomfortably tight black arm band that looked like she was in mourning? I know she mentioned a shoulder operation, but I didn’t think that had anything to do with the arm band. 

I think Geno and Nico were the most financially well off poundticipants I’ve ever seen. 

It was nice to learn that Nurse Cassandra’s replacement is named Rose. 

Not one but TWO weight loss surgeries in the first episode of the new season! Last year there were more failures than successes, so we're off to a great start. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 7
5 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

maybe I’m losing some of my callous, but dammit, I liked these guys. They did the work and they seem like nice people. They were two of the most functional poundticipants I’ve seen in a long time and I’m rooting for their continued success.

I can watch these types of episodes all day long.  They followed the diet!  What a concept.  

I'm not bothered by only seeing the beginning of their journey since it begs for a part2 and/or a WATN.  

• Like 10

This was a good episode. I enjoy the train wrecks but sometimes the show gets too depressing. It was nice to have a positive start. I thought Gino’s new girlfriend would be drama but she wasn’t mentioned after the move. This was the first time I remember someone planning a house flip on the journey. I missed the very beginning. Did they say if they worked? I heard Gino say he was a chef but was curious about Nico.

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Did I miss what happened to Julia, Geno’s girlfriend. Last mention I caught was that she didn’t stop by the day Geno left for Houston and she wasn’t picking up her phone. I guess now with him discovering his inner Texan he can just lasso another…

They didn't mention her again. I wonder if she really ghosted him or if they just didn't have any drama to exploit.

• Useful 1

The music and lingering on the robot surgery made me think someone was going to die. 

I HATE the relentless background music on this show. It's sad piano that goes on and on and on. 

Mom seemed a bit rough, drug or drink history maybe, but nice... Nice family overall. Hope they succeed. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

This was the first time I remember someone planning a house flip on the journey. I missed the very beginning. Did they say if they worked?

I saw a comment on Reddit where someone said their family is in the construction business. Of course, I don’t know if that’s accurate, but it sure would explain their focus on finding a house to buy/flip.

• Like 7

I found it bizarre that Nico and girlfriend moved to Houston, and I'm guessing Rose was the housekeeper for both.  But Geno's girlfriend Julie was told to pound sand and not only not go to Houston, but just sit around waiting for Geno to come back.   

I suspect the abrupt end will mean an immediate filming of the follow up for this pair.    

• Like 3

Mom seemed a bit rough, drug or drink history maybe, but nice... Nice family overall. Hope they succeed. 

Possibly. She also had weight loss surgery which can also age a person's face. 

It should be written into their contracts that poundparticipants must holler "Ow, mah leg!" AT LEAST once.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
13 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I liked them too! I thought they were entertaining. I also liked that there wasn't constant complaining and it was kind of nice to have a break from the poor folks that have endured serious trauma like abuse and neglect. Those episodes can really get you down. Geno and Nico were out there making the effort. I hope they keep it up!

• Like 11

I was rooting for Gino and Nico. I liked how they listened and followed directions. Plus they made the diet food look yummy. And Gino greeted dreaded "room 5" caller Rose by her name, that was nice. Love the train wrecks, but love the successes too. We will have plenty of time to see the lady fall by the side of the house...

Forgot, loved the volleyball game and Uncle Dave was the best!

Edited by BAForever
  • Like 9
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I found it bizarre that Nico and girlfriend moved to Houston, and I'm guessing Rose was the housekeeper for both.  But Geno's girlfriend Julie was told to pound sand and not only not go to Houston, but just sit around waiting for Geno to come back.   

I suspect the abrupt end will mean an immediate filming of the follow up for this pair.    

Even though the pair had known each other for several years they were new at dating which I guessed was the reason for her staying behind. I did find Nico a little out of line when he was discussing it but then again some of these significant others are bad for the poundticipqnts journey. 

• Like 3

This was a positive way to start off the season, a pleasant change from the stinking, face-stuffing, drug-addled beasts that we know will be saved for later on. These were two nice, well brought up, polite young men from what looked like a good family, living in clean homes, no tiny dogs, piss pads or deep-fat fryers in the bed, home-owners, responsible and willing to be held accountable when they fell back on the diet. I wish them both well. I think getting away from (Throw) Momma (Under The Train) was a really good idea. There was obviously some kind of falling-out with the girlfriend that we didn't see, but I don't think Geno will have too much difficulty finding someone else in Texas.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, essexjan said:

This was a positive way to start off the season, a pleasant change from the stinking, face-stuffing, drug-addled beasts that we know will be saved for later on. These were two nice, well brought up, polite young men from what looked like a good family, living in clean homes, no tiny dogs, piss pads or deep-fat fryers in the bed, home-owners, responsible and willing to be held accountable when they fell back on the diet. I wish them both well. I think getting away from (Throw) Momma (Under The Train) was a really good idea. There was obviously some kind of falling-out with the girlfriend that we didn't see, but I don't think Geno will have too much difficulty finding someone else in Texas.

That’s what I thought at first but when they were moving to Houston, Nico was carrying a little dog. Never to be seen again but he was there for one scene!!!

• LOL 7
11 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

That’s what I thought at first but when they were moving to Houston, Nico was carrying a little dog. Never to be seen again but he was there for one scene!!!

I missed it!

• Like 1
On 2/2/2023 at 1:03 AM, magemaud said:

It was nice to learn that Nurse Cassandra’s replacement is named Rose. 

No, no.  Cassandra can't be replaced.  I love her smirks when patients start whining when weighed, ("the scale can't be right!") but genuine smiles when they're losing weight.  I hope she reappears.

• Like 7
22 hours ago, BAForever said:

I was rooting for Gino and Nico. I liked how they listened and followed directions. Plus they made the diet food look yummy. And Gino greeted dreaded "room 5" caller Cassandra by her name, that was nice. Love the train wrecks, but love the successes too. We will have plenty of time to see the lady fall by the side of the house...

Forgot, loved the volleyball game and Uncle Dave was the best!

Ditto to all this. It was good to see the cousins support each other. Uncle Dave seemed so nice.

I thought Geno was a bit disrespectful towards his Mom though- if he speaks like that to her and about her on camera, what does he say in private? Look I understand there can be strife when adults live together, but dude, you are a grown ass man living off of your MOMMA. Show some RESPECT. His attitude of "pay me $25 and I will cook", dude, do you pay rent? Buy food? clean up? pay utilities? Even if you did, it's not appropriate to speak to your Mother that way. I get that she indulges him because of Mommy guilt, but if you want the respect of an adult man, act like one and be a contributing member of the household and not a dependent. I think space between them will be good for their relationship. Maybe now that Geno has lost some weight and is getting his independence back (along with his self esteem), he will let go of some of that petulance. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
On 2/3/2023 at 11:36 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I thought Geno was a bit disrespectful towards his Mom though- if he speaks like that to her and about her on camera, what does he say in private? Look I understand there can be strife when adults live together, but dude, you are a grown ass man living off of your MOMMA.

I was taken aback when Geno really started a fight when it was totally unnecessary, when she told him she couldn't go to Houston with him because of her health, and he didn't just leave it alone.  Why did he have to say "well, you weren't going anyway?"  Why not just be grateful to be relieved of the burden of how to tell her she wasn't coming?  Why go out of his way to hurt her feelings like that?  Passive-aggression is strong in this one, and I didn't see it coming.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

I was taken aback when Geno really started a fight when it was totally unnecessary, when she told him she couldn't go to Houston with him because of her health, and he didn't just leave it alone.  Why did he have to say "well, you weren't going anyway?"  Why not just be grateful to be relieved of the burden of how to tell her she wasn't coming?  Why go out of his way to hurt her feelings like that?  Passive-aggression is strong in this one, and I didn't see it coming.

He was a petulant baby. I have noticed this with a lot of participants of this show, I am sure it is multi-factorial, because their weight has disabled them, they have to rely on other family members (either financially or physically) to help them, and that affects their self esteem, and they act out. Geno also knows his mother loves him unconditionally so he can take it out on her and she won't leave, he may also partially blame her for his weight issues because he was heavy as a child "well if you hadnt let me have xyz I wouldnt be in this position"(I am not saying I agree, the man is 30yrs old, he was being a BRAT). But have you noticed in many families it's always the "aint got shit" family members doing the most complaining about OTHER PEOPLE'S actions, money etc. Those that have something going for themselves tend to be more understanding of others. 

• Like 3

I liked these guys, too. I thought Nico was quite educated and articulate. Geno ate to stuff feelings including about his mother. We didn’t see everything that went on. Mom was rather rough (as someone else noted, there may be past and/or present boozing or drugging) and may have been smothering. All  he had to do was breathe heavier and she would lose it (never remarried? never got over husband's death?). Yes, she enabled him...The whole bunch is codependent, even Dr. Now was shocked at four of them in the little room. I liked the family times, though. I thought the uncle kept his trap shut well, when appropriate. I don’t really like salads, but was inspired by their preparation and enjoyment of them. Fruit and vegetables, baby!

Maybe Mom has little if any money and never let him forget he got fired from a good job because of his weight and his eating habit. The food bill and  house expenses would not be low. Nico took his time letting Geno move in with him. I, too, wondered about the GFs: (1) Somehow I don’t think it’s what Rosy had in mind to live in with both of them, indefinitely, all food having to meet rules, and her having to do the most on the domestic front, probably while working a FT job. (2) As soon as I saw Jess (Geno's GF), I thought, “That woman is a lot older than him [he's 31].” I think she saw saw years of recovery required ahead (with uncertain success), iffy finances, nonstop food monitoring, and the codependence of the family. 

Edited by Tuneful
  • Like 2
21 hours ago, Tuneful said:

I liked these guys, too. I thought Nico was quite educated and articulate. Geno ate to stuff feelings including about his mother. We didn’t see everything that went on. Mom was rather rough (as someone else noted, there may be past and/or present boozing or drugging) and may have been smothering. All  he had to do was breathe heavier and she would lose it (never remarried? never got over husband's death?). Yes, she enabled him...The whole bunch is codependent, even Dr. Now was shocked at four of them in the little room. I liked the family times, though. I thought the uncle kept his trap shut well, when appropriate. I don’t really like salads, but was inspired by their preparation and enjoyment of them. Fruit and vegetables, baby!

Maybe Mom has little if any money and never let him forget he got fired from a good job because of his weight and his eating habit. The food bill and  house expenses would not be low. Nico took his time letting Geno move in with him. I, too, wondered about the GFs: (1) Somehow I don’t think it’s what Rosy had in mind to live in with both of them, indefinitely, all food having to meet rules, and her having to do the most on the domestic front, probably while working a FT job. (2) As soon as I saw Jess (Geno's GF), I thought, “That woman is a lot older than him [he's 31].” I think she saw saw years of recovery required ahead (with uncertain success), iffy finances, nonstop food monitoring, and the codependence of the family. 

I think this ties into and reinforces Scarlett's comments above.  He and his mother both are reacting like petulant babies, but Geno's immaturity in dealing with (unnecessary) conflict is more blatant.

I wonder if the mother has been intentionally overfeeding Geno because her WLS wasn't totally successful.  She is overweight imho and she worries that if Geno succeeds like his uncle did, she will lose her matriarchal position somehow.  We've seen on other shows that there is often a competitive aspect in weight loss when one has already lost weight and a) wants to supervise the poundicipant's diet, maddening the P, or b) refuses to take responsibility for over-feeding the P.  If the P. succeeds, the enabler will often gain weight.

• Like 2

The uncle might have been the best-looking WLS patient we've ever seen. He wasn't just thin; he appeared fit, and he didn't have strange-looking hollow cheeks, extra skin, etc. I would never look at him and think "Extreme weight loss." I wonder if he's had cosmetic procedures or just worked out hard and was lucky to have elastic skin.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
On 2/13/2023 at 12:16 PM, IvySpice said:

The uncle might have been the best-looking WLS patient we've ever seen. He wasn't just thin; he appeared fit, and he didn't have strange-looking hollow cheeks, extra skin, etc. I would never look at him and think "Extreme weight loss." I wonder if he's had cosmetic procedures or just worked out hard and was lucky to have elastic skin.

He was handsome. Nico and Geno were attractive men so I wasn’t surprise their uncle was as well (he is uncle to both of them, so likely the Mom’s brother).

His appearance is probably a combination of both. He didn’t appear older (late 40s maybe?) he had his surgery a decade ago? He likely does work out regularly and may have had his stomach/chest done. Where you hold your weight affects how you look after weight loss surgery. I also think he said he was in the 300s, so he probably lost 100lbs and some change, that’s a different look than what we see of Dr Now’s patients. 

• Like 1
On 2/2/2023 at 10:40 AM, Pi237 said:

I HATE the relentless background music on this show. It's sad piano that goes on and on and on. 

This is the first episode where I noticed a segment of upbeat background music.  It was so uncharacteristic, so it jumped right out at me!