Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 1/30/2023

atomic
  • Start Topic

Monday, Jan. 30 – Day of Hot Topics

Tuesday, Jan. 31 – Jay Shetty (author, “8 Rules of Love: How to Find It, Keep It and Let It Go”)

Wednesday, Feb. 1 – Eboni K. Williams (author, “Bet on Black: The Good News About Being Black in America Today”)

Thursday, Feb. 2 – Kit Harington (“Baby Ruby”)

Friday, Feb. 3 – Jessica Chastain (Broadway’s “A Doll’s House”)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crashing weddings - hard to believe that mature people would do this. If they do, and if they confine themselves to dancing and enjoying the music, that might not be so bad, but non-guests should not take advantage of an open bar, food, or cake. That's just rude. 

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

I like Ana but she's friends with some real a-hole guys.  Marc Anthony, George Lopez.  Makes me kind of side eye her.

I was hoping one of the stage hands would run sweep up all those names she dropped because that was a mess. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 12
50 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Crashing weddings - hard to believe that mature people would do this. If they do, and if they confine themselves to dancing and enjoying the music, that might not be so bad, but non-guests should not take advantage of an open bar, food, or cake. That's just rude. 

I didn't see today's episode although I remember them talking about wedding crashing last week where Sunny said she was a fan. I don't think she said what she'd think if it was done to her. Was her opinion the same today?

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I didn't see today's episode although I remember them talking about wedding crashing last week where Sunny said she was a fan. I don't think she said what she'd think if it was done to her. Was her opinion the same today?

You know, you are right! I watched it today because I was travelling on Friday and couldn't watch over the weekend. I reflexively posted in this week's thread without thinking. Sorry for any confusion!

Just now, KittyQ said:

You know, you are right! I watched it today because I was travelling on Friday and couldn't watch over the weekend. I reflexively posted in this week's thread without thinking. Sorry for any confusion!

I thought it may have come up again when discussing what I'm guessing was Marc Anthony getting married again.

1 hour ago, HerkyJerky said:

He was married to Jennifer Lopez the longest: 10 years. The other two both under 4 years.

Honestly, I feel like the only reason that marriage lasted so long is because J. Lo cannot be alone (she should read the book that today's guest wrote), so she stayed in it way longer than anyone with higher self-esteem would have.

EDIT:  Huh.  Just got to the part of the interview where they said that the relationship book author officiated Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck's wedding.  Not sure what to think about that.  

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Marc Anthony got married...to a 23 year old. He's 54.

If I did that I would get called a dirty old man (& rightly so) but it's celebrated on the view because Anna got to name drop some celebrities that she may or may not actually be friends with............................. pathetic is the word that springs to mind.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Personally, I'm tired of the now-cliche saying that a Grand Jury can indict a ham sandwich. Sunny seems to think that is a good thing (in reference to Trump), but IMO the "ham sandwich" example indicates a flaw in the system. Indictments should be made only if there really is a reasonable chance of a successful prosecution, which is the point of the exercise. Otherwise, it is just a hollow effort designed to pander to those who are calling for the prosecution of someone. The indictment goes through, and then the prosecution fails (due to lack of substantial evidence), and the politicians get to say "Well, we tried" but still get points for that. There's hard work involved in prosecuting someone, and it shouldn't be short-circuited with overly optimistic indictments. 

• Like 5

Agree Cindy Williams’s death should’ve been noted.  Maybe her popularity was just too far in the past?

Call me cruel, but I enjoyed hearing Alyssa complain that she’d been treated rudely by some parts of the public, due to her work history.

Don’t understand why Sunny wears SO MUCH fake hair at once, as she admitted today.  Surely half the amount would suffice?  And the way she reports talking to her 16 year old daughter is very infantile - “You know how mom comes home and…” is how I’d speak to my toddler, not a teen.

• Like 3

I was enjoying the show up until the guest.  Don't like self help books and like influencers even less.

Trump doesn't have anything on Lindsay Graham.  Graham has said he supports Trump because he needs to stay relevant. He is just a pathetic man who can't make it on his own merits.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, flummoxd said:

Agree Cindy Williams’s death should’ve been noted.  Maybe her popularity was just too far in the past?

Hardly. There are still a bunch of fans of the show and the actress. She appeared in other shows and movies. She deserved better.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

I was enjoying the show up until the guest.  Don't like self help books and like influencers even less.

Yeah, I think Harington and Chastain were the only guests this week that looked any good when I read the list yesterday. I think Eboni Williams tried out a couple of times last year or am I wrong? At least the name looks familiar.

12 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Marc Anthony got married...to a 23 year old. He's 54.

Even though I didn't see the show this morning I thought this latest wife looked pretty young in pictures and the bit of them I saw on Entertainment Tonight.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

They couldn’t ARSE themselves to mention Cindy Williams’s passing? Laverne & Shirley  was also an ABC  show!

This show is weirdly choosy when it comes to whose death they do or do not mention.  Recently they ignored the deaths of both Lisa Marie Presley and Kirstie Alley, which I also found strange.  At this point I guess we shouldn't be surprised when they don't mention someone passing but for some reason, I always am.

• Like 5

I never understand people getting upset about Marie Kondo.  Her book/method is for people who have trouble keeping organized and own more stuff that they can handle.  The "sparks joy" thing is to help you get rid of stuff that you don't need or like but that you've kept around for whatever reason (ie, it was expensive, it was a gift, you haven't owned it that long, etc).  You're not supposed to get rid of stuff just to get rid of stuff (looking at you, Sunny).  And if that method doesn't appeal to you, then don't do it!  It's a method for tidying up, it's not that deep.

• Like 10

Eboni K. Williams.  I’ve been mostly neutral on her, but she seemed so phony and extra today.  Ramona (from RHoNY) is a nightmare, but that warrants her getting a TV show and book deal?  Life is not fair . . .

• Like 3

Why do they (Joy) think that independent voters are not taking a side?  I am not registered for either party (don’t want the harassment for donations) but I definitely lean one way.

What a dumb convo about picking a family member to die. 🙄

Kit Harrington is cute but he’s a terrible actor. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 3
9 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Does Sarah really believe there are billions of people in the US?

Maybe but I she shouldn't. It's very hard for people to wrap their head around how big a number 1B actually is and think it's 100 million rather than 1,000 million.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Why do they (Joy) think that independent voters are not taking a side?  I am not registered for either party (don’t want the harassment for donations) but I definitely lean one way.

Also, Sunny says that Independents tend to lean to Democrats or Republicans based on polling, which makes it sound as though they really should pick one of those parties. However, what the poll doesn't seem to show is that the Independent voter always leans in a particular direction. As a registered Independent, I have voted for each party depending on the candidate in question (sometimes even for a candidate supported by one of the smaller parties). Maybe Sunny's father should have registered as a Democrat if he really never voted for any Republicans, but I think he'd be the exception. People who have a clear affinity for a particular party would probably want to be able to have more direct influence on that party by being an official part of it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

What a dumb convo about picking a family member to die. 🙄

They pretty much hashed that topic, and I'm sure Shyamalan appreciated Whoopi calling his film 2 hours of "mindless entertainment".  Hope they don't want to have him as a guest any time soon. :-)

I've cooled off on Shyamalan's films, but it sounds like this is an attempt to present an interesting question about whether a person is willing to sacrifice something (or someone) for the greater good. FWIW, I remember a film from the 80s called "The Believers" where the main character also has to decide whether to sacrifice someone to prevent a nuclear war. Not a fabulous movie, but it did provoke some questions about the nature of religion, belief, sacrifice, and personal responsibility. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I've cooled off on Shyamalan's films, but it sounds like this is an attempt to present an interesting question about whether a person is willing to sacrifice something (or someone) for the greater good.

I read and loved the novel on which the movie is base, The Cabin At The End of The World.  The novel isn't mindless entertainment, it poses difficult questions.  I have misgivings about seeing the movie since Shyamalan hasn't made a good movie since Signs in 2002.  I'll wait until it airs on cable or streaming.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Also, Sunny says that Independents tend to lean to Democrats or Republicans based on polling, which makes it sound as though they really should pick one of those parties. However, what the poll doesn't seem to show is that the Independent voter always leans in a particular direction. As a registered Independent, I have voted for each party depending on the candidate in question (sometimes even for a candidate supported by one of the smaller parties). Maybe Sunny's father should have registered as a Democrat if he really never voted for any Republicans, but I think he'd be the exception. People who have a clear affinity for a particular party would probably want to be able to have more direct influence on that party by being an official part of it.

I think it depends on the State where you live.  In my state you can pick which party's ballot you want during primary elections.  While in a neighboring state you can only vote for your registered party in the primary election, with Independent's being unable to vote on primary ballots at all.   

I agree with Sunny that Independent voters usually lean a certain way.  During primary elections I pick the ballot I most want to influence 🙂.   

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

This is my reason as well.   Probably pretty common.    

• Like 3

I've surprisingly thawed to Alyssa a little bit this week. I guess it's where she was more casual, less reserved, and had more of a joking manner with Joy, she came off less calculating. She's starting to get to a place where she's becoming more of a Paula Faris than a Jedediah Bila for me; Paula and Joy were friendly in a way that never felt like an act even if they were polar opposites as far as their views.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 1/30/2023 at 4:25 PM, Snapdragon said:

I like Ana but she's friends with some real a-hole guys.  Marc Anthony, George Lopez.  Makes me kind of side eye her.

She’s also good friends with Don Lemon and he seems like a real jerk, too.

• Like 3

Joy looked really nice today, hair, outfit, etc. I thought the interview was actually the highlight today, a rare thing for The View. Chastain's comments on Iran were pretty powerful--and in some ways they felt like a full circle moment to the discussion in the first segment, actually. I suppose she must've been backstage watching at the beginning of the show.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

how so? i love Don Lemon

I couldn't stomach Don Lemon after he pronounced sorbet as sore-bet.

2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I thought the interview was actually the highlight today, a rare thing for The View. Chastain's comments on Iran were pretty powerful-

Good to know, I'm looking forward to watching it when I get home.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:41 PM, Snapdragon said:

This show is weirdly choosy when it comes to whose death they do or do not mention.  Recently they ignored the deaths of both Lisa Marie Presley and Kirstie Alley, which I also found strange.  At this point I guess we shouldn't be surprised when they don't mention someone passing but for some reason, I always am.

There seems to be an unwritten rule that they are mentioned if Whoopi knew them in some capacity. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I couldn't stomach Don Lemon after he pronounced sorbet as sore-bet.

Good to know, I'm looking forward to watching it when I get home.

well at least you have a real good reason........?

• Like 2
  • Wink 4
  • LOL 4
6 hours ago, cinsays said:

how so? i love Don Lemon

There's allegedly contention on the set of his new show due to him having to share the spotlight with cohosts.  Maybe just a rumor.  Maybe not.

I agree about Sarah's blouse today.  It wasn't flattering.  She's usually so put together.

Good show today.