Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1: Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Today, Peacock announced the premiere date and contestants for its nail-biting, psychological reality competition series The Traitors, hosted by the deliciously witty Alan Cumming. All 10 episodes will drop exclusively on Peacock on January 12, 2023.

Set in a remote castle in the Scottish Highlands and based on the wildly popular Dutch series of the same name, 5-time Emmy-nominated Alan Cumming plays host to twenty larger-than-life personalities (including reality A-listers and America’s best game players) who come together to complete a series of challenges with the objective of earning a cash prize of up to $250,000. The catch? Three of the contestants coined “the traitors” will devise a plan to steal the prize from the other contestants coined “the faithful.”

The Traitors will feature reality stars and celebrity contestants including:

· Arie Luyendyk Jr. (Bachelor/Bachelorette)

· Brandi Glanville (RHOBH)

· Cirie Fields (Survivor)

· Cody Calafiore (Big Brother)

· Kate Chastain (Below Deck)

· Kyle Cooke (Summer House)

· Rachel Reilly (Big Brother)

· Reza Farahan (Shahs of Sunset)

· Ryan Lochte (Olympian)

· Stephenie LaGrossa Kendrick (Survivor)

· Additional contestants who will be joining the celebrities for a game chock-full of alliances, deception, and even “murder” include:

· Christian De La Torre (Veteran & Van Life Influencer) – Los Angeles, CA

· Michael Davidson (DMV Office Manager) – Oneida, KY

· Andie Thurmond (Director of Music Services) – Reno, NV

· Quentin Jiles (Political Analyst) – Houston, TX

· Shelbe Rodriguez (Public Affairs Manager) – Beaumont, TX

· Geraldine Moreno (Actress) – North Hollywood, CA

· Robert “Bam” Nieves (Tech Sales Executive) – Rye, NY

· Anjelica Conti (Hair Stylist) – Staten Island, NY”

· Azra Valani (Yoga Instructor) – Los Angeles, CA

· Amanda Clark (Emergency Room Nurse) – Carlisle, PA

I watched the British version of this, hosted by Claudia Winkleman and it was simply amazing! So camp! So full of intrigue! People getting the right name...for the wrong reasons! I loved it. 

• Like 2

Having celebs, who will always be 'on' for the cameras, will make it less suspensful. I think the Traitors will give themselves away quite easily (doubt they'll reach the heights of Amanda!) and heaven help us if we don't get 'I'm 100% faifthful!' every 2nd conversation, because then they definitely will be playing it wrong!

• Like 1

I’m going to check it out, in large part because I love Alan Cumming and he’s hosting. Most of the reality TV people I’d give a pass, though I think Cirie could be amazing at this and Rachel potentially a train wreck. 

• Like 4

I was obsessed with the British version of this. As @Wee S mentioned, it was so campy. It was deliciously trashy and cheesy but I couldn't stop watching it. I'm hoping this version has the same "first time" charm because I can't imagine it will be as compelling in subsequent seasons when contestants have had the benefit of figuring out how to "play the game." 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I was obsessed with the British version of this. As @Wee S mentioned, it was so campy. It was deliciously trashy and cheesy but I couldn't stop watching it. I'm hoping this version has the same "first time" charm because I can't imagine it will be as compelling in subsequent seasons when contestants have had the benefit of figuring out how to "play the game." 

I think the Aussie version was even more fun than the British one and I enjoyed the British one. However, both were premiere seasons. I'll be interested to see how players evolve their strategies in subsequent seasons, along with the fact that some will always be better at it than others. Especially when it comes to those who are the Traitors; a few have been pretty bad at it lol.

• Like 4

I ended up watching this show last night. I'm not interested in the "celebrities," but the premise of the show got my attention. Alan Cumming is charming as the host, of course, in his Scottish garb at the Scottish castle. The game is more complicated than similar  American game shows, and there were too many people to keep track of at the beginning. I'm invested enough to tune in again. 

• Like 1

I don't have Peacock either. I was just flipping through the cable channels. I stopped because Alan Cumming was on the screen. If I'd seen a Real Housewife or a former Big Brother contestant, I wouldn't have stayed. I hope I can continue to watch now.  

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I don't have Peacock either. I was just flipping through the cable channels. I stopped because Alan Cumming was on the screen. If I'd seen a Real Housewife or a former Big Brother contestant, I wouldn't have stayed. I hope I can continue to watch now.  

I was curious if it was on cable, so I did a search. That's how I found it on Bravo. I guess they're trying to get folks to subscribe to Peacock. Seems a lot of show/channels have done that type of thing, releasing a show on their streaming platforms. I'm sure there are shows that are only on the streaming platforms, but so many others are put on their cable counterparts at a later date.

• Like 2

I'm glad this is getting a cable run too because I think it deserves the eyeballs.  I do not get Peacock's strategy, though. I don't think they've advertised this show very well. It's hugely popular in other countries.  Yet there's almost no advertising for it.

I guess its Bravo run is why there are so many Bravo celebs on it. 

I'm two episodes in and I have to hand it to Brandi.  She's a rather astute player...so far. So is Cody.  I'm kind of seeing why they included some of these reality stars.  But I'd have to think that'd make him suspicious eventually.  On the other end, Christian is terrible.  I wonder how long he lasts.

I am surprised the audience knows who the traitors are.  I didn't expect that.  I wonder what happens once all the traitors are out.  Does the game end?

Edited by Irlandesa
30 minutes ago, tinderbox said:

I tuned in to the first episode on Bravo a bit late.  How were the three traitors chosen and how did they become aware of one another?   Thanks.

The host secretly identifies the traitors with a tap on the shoulder while everyone sits blindfolded at the roundtable. Later, the traitors meet each other in a castle turret for what resembles the witches scene from Macbeth minus the brew boiling in a cauldron. The visuals are excellent. 

• Like 6

This is so cheesy!  You can tell Alan Cumming is having the time of his life.  I hope it paid well.

I didn't realize they were going to show this on Bravo - I'm watching on Peacock and liking it.  It's not a "pause if you have to answer the doorbell" kind of show though.

They get you to root for the traitors against the faithful.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

Did one of the players say she is distantly related to Sherlock Holmes?! 😆

I literally just saw that part and had to pause and say 'Girl, whut?'  Oh honey, no.

I don't watch a lot of reality tv, so the reality people aren't resonating with me.  The only person I've heard of was of course Ryan Lochte but not because of reality tv but because of the Olympics.  Also, Cirie from Survivor.  Her reputation as a player has trickled out even to me who hasn't watched Survivor since season 3. So the reality show people are just as anonymous to me as the regulars.  Meanwhile some Big Brother girl swears she's an icon.  Girl, I guess...

I love that Alan Cumming decided to dial his accent up to 20.  LOL.  Everybody else is on a reality show.  He is starring in an Austin Powers movie as the villain.

• Like 2
  • LOL 13

I watched the entire season. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Scotland, the castle, the cast, the host... It really was a fun show.

I have a couple of questions about the very end, but I'll wait until more people finish the series to ask them.

I hope that this is a reality show that gets more seasons.

• Like 7

I really want Christian to be called out and found as the traitor.  He is so annoying.  Brandi is pretty smart at seeing who two of them are.  I don't want her gone.  Christian yes,  just too annoying.  Should have never been a traitor at all.

I haven't seen all of the episodes though

Edited by MyMaui
  • Like 2

Ok I finally finished Ep1. 

Oh Ryan Lochte.  Bless His Heart.  He so sweet and dumb.  All he wants to do is find a hidden door.  What will that accomplish Ryan? What? Except maybe you getting lost in a secret passage way.

Cirie -- ohh.  I have never watched her in anything but I've heard of her.  And her stone face after being touched as a traitor was perfect.  Even though it was what she wanted, she never even twitched!  Early favorite for me.

Meanwhile Christian is the exact opposite.  Dude as grinning like an idiot.  No poker face at all. I love how Cirie and Cody were not thrilled he was a fellow traitor.  Her description of him as a labradoodle was perfect.

Seriously, Alan Cummings -- even the way he said 'A quarter of a meeelion dollars" was just like Dr. Evil.  He is cracking me up.

I also like Andie.  The one who was so unimpressed with the 'celebrities' she strikes me as very intelligent.

10 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Later, the traitors meet each other in a castle turret for what resembles the witches scene from Macbeth minus the brew boiling in a cauldron. The visuals are excellent. 

I am tickled the traitors were given cult murder robes to scheme in.  They are in a Scottish castle so I guess the visual reference to the Macbeth witches had to be deliberate.

• Like 11
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I am tickled the traitors were given cult murder robes to scheme in.  They are in a Scottish castle so I guess the visual reference to the Macbeth witches had to be deliberate.

Alan said something at the very beginning about nothing bad can happen in a Scottish castle and I was wondering how many of them got the reference.

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Seriously, Alan Cummings -- even the way he said 'A quarter of a meeelion dollars" was just like Dr. Evil.  He is cracking me up.

Me too.  He was playing it up to the hilt, although there was a moment in one of the later challenges where you could see he couldn't help but be impressed by one of the contestants.

I finished the episodes too and it was a lot of fun.  I'm curious about the UK version now.  I know they were full of normal people. I ended up not minding the fact that they used celebs here. 

And by the way, when contestants talk about Andie in confessionals, they use they/them pronouns for Andie.  Andie isn't much of a factor in the first few episodes so I didn't pick up on it until others started talking about them more but I thought posters here might want to know.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

I've only watched the first episode, but...I love this.

I think if they do a second season, I'm going to audition for it.  Reading people and keeping up walls around my personal life are kind of what I do professionally.  This is maybe the first reality show where I think I'd be really good.

• Like 13
On 1/14/2023 at 2:12 AM, Irlandesa said:

I'm glad this is getting a cable run too because I think it deserves the eyeballs.  I do not get Peacock's strategy, though. I don't think they've advertised this show very well. It's hugely popular in other countries.  Yet there's almost no advertising for it.

I guess its Bravo run is why there are so many Bravo celebs on it. 

I'm two episodes in and I have to hand it to Brandi.  She's a rather astute player...so far. So is Cody.  I'm kind of seeing why they included some of these reality stars.  But I'd have to think that'd make him suspicious eventually.  On the other end, Christian is terrible.  I wonder how long he lasts.

I am surprised the audience knows who the traitors are.  I didn't expect that.  I wonder what happens once all the traitors are out.  Does the game end?

I was happy to see it on Bravo and posted here as such. But it looks like we only got the first 2 episodes as a teaser. BUT..... There have been a lot of show that came out as "streaming platform only" that later have been show on their cable channels (eg Below Deck Down Under on Bravo and 90 Day Diaries on TLC).

At episode 2.

Kate has a fun energy.  I like her.  Her talking heads are great.

On 1/14/2023 at 3:12 AM, Irlandesa said:

I'm two episodes in and I have to hand it to Brandi.  She's a rather astute player...so far.

Agreed.  The traitors need to really be on their guard around her.

I know proper names come in all sorts of spelling, but "Jerryldean" and  "Geryldeane" ?  And I think someone spelled Michael as 'Michel'. LOL.

I thought the mission was cleverly done.  Simple enough yet did require some good teamwork.  I will say that this reminded me to never volunteer for anything without knowing what I am volunteering for.  The "rescuees" fate would have done me in.  I am mildly claustrophobic and being buried alive would have taken me over the top.  Y'all I would be a wreck!

I liked Michael in the prior ep, but this one he was annoying the hell out of me.  I agree with Kate, there are appropriate times to advance your game and times when you need to be paying attention to the task in front of you.

Also... it must be really cold in that castle they are all wearing coats all the time inside.

• Like 5
On 1/14/2023 at 8:12 AM, Irlandesa said:

I wonder what happens once all the traitors are out.  Does the game end?

I'll spoiler tag my answer as a courtesy for others.

Spoiler

The Traitors are allowed to recruit from The Faithfuls once or twice during the show if their numbers dwindle.

I binged it all over the weekend. I was surprised at how many of them were taking things a little personally, have to agree with Rachel "It's a game!" - perhaps next season those who sign up to participate will be more aware of the stakes/premise that they're getting themselves into.

I guess because the US version is filmed at the same castle as the UK version - the missions were the same on both versions, which  consequently proved a little 'meh' for me. Wonder if they'll change them for the third season (I hear that S2 in the UK will be an all-celeb version, so I expect the missions will be the same again for that but who knows). As I was unfamiliar with almost all of the players (not a big reality tv viewer), it was mostly akin to watching a civilian version for me anyway.

I think I'd be fairly good at this as someone who's played mafia online for years I'm uber familiar with the concept and also with lots of tricks on how to play. However, I'd never want to be on tv, (let alone around a crowd of ppl I don't know 24/7 - sounds like hell to my introverted INFJ self) so wouldn't ever dream of applying, yikes, no thank you.

• Like 4

LOVED this show!  I just watched the entire season.  It is so much fun!  I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it after the first episode--it seemed kinda corny--but you get sucked into the story and the fun of it all.  I like a lot of the reality tv personalities this season so I was fully invested.  I hope there is a S2!

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

I guess because the US version is filmed at the same castle as the UK version - the missions were the same on both versions, which  consequently proved a little 'meh' for me.

The missions were rather blah for me too even though they weren't familiar to me. I think it's because they feel somewhat low stakes. 

I don't know if it's true or not but I've read that the US version was actually filmed first--before the UK version--even though the UK version aired first.

16 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

I'll spoiler tag my answer as a courtesy for others.

Yeah.  I posed that question before I finished the season.  I initially thought they had been told how many traitors there were to start with but then I realized that they probably hadn't.  So because they didn't know if there was 2, 3 or 4 to start with, they couldn't count down if they managed to vote out a traitor.

6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't know if it's true or not but I've read that the US version was actually filmed first--before the UK version--even though the UK version aired first.

I've no idea tbh. The UK version had 12 eps so I was disappointed the US one only had 10. I can't remember how many the Aussie one had but I think 12 as well bc I don't recall being surprised about the number.

6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The missions were rather blah for me too even though they weren't familiar to me. I think it's because they feel somewhat low stakes.

Yes, they're really cheesy and the one thing that needs improving imo. I did enjoy them being able to win shields though. However, they were really only a side plot to the main premise so I can handwave them.

16 minutes ago, starri said:

I can also say, three episodes in, I'm surprised to find myself rooting for the Traitors.  

I think it's natural to root for the 'under dogs' and while yes, they can 'murder' a Faithful each night, theirs is deffo the more arduous task. I've found that the only time I cease rooting for a Traitor is when they do something really strategically idiotic - for whatever reason - then I kinda live for them getting caught out by their own stupidity. What can I say, it amuses me lmao.

Also, when any Faithful is moralising about how they don't want a Traitor to win and so on - gtfo, if they'd been picked as a Traitor they'd be doing the exact same things - so stfu with your "I don't want a Traitor to win" hypocritical nonsense is what I think. Along with "I hope they take you out next" haha.

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, starri said:

I can also say, three episodes in, I'm surprised to find myself rooting for the Traitors.  

Oh I can believe that.  It's a lot easier to develop strategy when you know everything. I think I might have rooted for them anyway but I can absolutely appreciate my tendency to like people who take action.  The faithfuls are at a bit of a disadvantage because if they demonstrate their smarts too much and try to organize people too effectively, they risk being taken out since it's likely they're going to accidentally spill to at least one traitor.

I rooted for Cirie and Cody.  But not Christian.  Ugh, I wanted to slap him.

2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Kate has a fun energy.  I like her.  Her talking heads are great.

I think Kate is the one who said she was related to Sherlock Holmes and after watching more of her, I think she was joking.  She was a trip.  And she went on a trip.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I rooted for Cirie and Cody.  But not Christian.  Ugh, I wanted to slap him.

Agree about Christian and in the 3.5 episodes I've seen, I'm honestly surprised he's been able to evade as much suspicion as he has, especially given that Brandi wasn't shy about her thoughts.  But he's got such loose lips, and really goes overboard a lot of the time.  Cirie and particularly Cody are a lot more subtle.  

But for whatever reason, I like them as a gestalt.  Amongst the Faithful, the only ones I find myself rooting for are Shelbe, Amanda and Andie, at least for now.  Amanda reminds me a lot of the nurses I work with.

My Anglophile history-loving nerd self really wishes they'd call the Round Table the Star Chamber instead, but that's probably a bit too deep of a pull for most of the US audience.

• Applause 1
34 minutes ago, starri said:

Agree about Christian and in the 3.5 episodes I've seen, I'm honestly surprised he's been able to evade as much suspicion as he has, especially given that Brandi wasn't shy about her thoughts.  But he's got such loose lips, and really goes overboard a lot of the time.  Cirie and particularly Cody are a lot more subtle.

I suspect he's just a big doofus even during the parts we don't see.  So his "talking too much" is probably just something he does in general. It bothers Cirie and Cody because of their knowledge and it differs from how they're playing their traitordom. To others, it might not stand out as much.

I do wonder how the season would have looked if Brandi had thrown her weight behind booting Christian or even Cirie rather than Michael.  An early traitor boot could have been interesting.  As it is, targeting Michael made her look wrong rather than basically dead on.

One thing I've learned about this game is that to do it well, you benefit from consistency, especially as the game goes on.  A lot of suspicion starts to fall on people when something about their behavior changes.  You can be brash. You can be a doofus.  You can be a wallflower or you can be an attacker but you can't change from one personality type to another without drawing suspicion from the herd.

And this can lead to self-defeating behavior because once a person learns their name is going around as a suspect, their behavior often does change as they start to feel defensive.  It just feeds into the pre-existing confirmation bias by those who already suspected that person and helps them rope more people to achieve the banishment. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 6

This was fun!  Toward the end, I expected past Faithful to return and form a jury to grill the Final Two, a la Survivor, but the Truth Circle worked, too.  But I was confused why after Cirie heavily insinuated that Ari did not do enough to deserve to share the money with her at the end, he just decided to bow out of the game rather than fight and turn suspicion back on her.  After the outing, if I had been Andie or Quentin, I would have chosen the red flame until I was the last one standing (wonder what would have happened if there were only two left?).  

Also felt like the game ended a bit too abruptly.  Would have liked a parting montage of the entire game, or something, to lead the viewer out.  Instead it's like "Cirie won! End credits."

• Like 1

I started to watch the show because the premise looked interesting and like a game I like to play. But then when I saw Stephanie and Cirie are on it (two of my least favorite players from the 30ish seasons of survivor I watched), I decided it wasn’t for me. I decided to come here to see if they’re at least out early thinking maybe I’d be interested, but it sounds like I made the right choice. 

Might try to find one of the other versions.

3 hours ago, starri said:

Episode 6:  Did I stroke off for a minute?  Why did Amanda leave?

The only explanation we got is that she had to leave for reasons having nothing to do with the game so I'm guessing she fell ill or had a family emergency. The contestants were told off camera because Alan said "as you know...."

2 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

If two Faithful are left they split the money. If two are left and one is a Traitor = Traitor takes all.

Do you know what happens if there's a tie in the vote?  It's amazing that never happened at the table but would they keep voting until the tie is broken?  Or would it be a coin flip?

All righty--spoilery thoughts about the finale so if you want to skip, here's your chance.:

10 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

But I was confused why after Cirie heavily insinuated that Ari did not do enough to deserve to share the money with her at the end, he just decided to bow out of the game rather than fight and turn suspicion back on her.  After the outing, if I had been Andie or Quentin, I would have chosen the red flame until I was the last one standing (wonder what would have happened if there were only two left?).  

Some feel like Arie knew Cirie was telling the truth about needing the money and bowed out.  I think he just realized his time was up.  He came to the finale with his fellow traitor and two people who were her strong allies. 

I don't think Arie really had a winning argument once Cirie threw the red smoke.  Cirie never accused him of being a traitor in her speech. (By the way, I really appreciate how this version didn't have a traitor outright targeting another traitor unless the faithfuls started the push.) If he accused Cirie of being a traitor, he'd have to explain why she, as a traitor, threw the red smoke if she assumed the rest were faithfuls.  At the end, if there's only one traitor and three faithfuls, the traitor wouldn't have a motive to eliminate a faithful because they win the whole thing.  A traitor only would need an elimination if they didn't want to share the pot with their fellow traitor.

The only thing Arie felt he could do within honest game play is tell Andie "good luck" as opposed to "congratulations" and basically confirming Christian's account that there was a late recruitment.   Andie and Quentin didn't pick up on the fact that it might also fit into Cirie's "deserve" argument. 

I think this game always will end with at least two people.  If they're two faithfuls, it's a split pot.  If one is a traitor, they get it all.  So the most a faithful can win is 125,000. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Do you know what happens if there's a tie in the vote?  It's amazing that never happened at the table but would they keep voting until the tie is broken?  Or would it be a coin flip?

They vote again but only for those with the tied voting numbers.

Spoilery reply to spoilery thoughts below.

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

All righty--spoilery thoughts about the finale so if you want to skip, here's your chance.:

13 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

But I was confused why after Cirie heavily insinuated that Ari did not do enough to deserve to share the money with her at the end, he just decided to bow out of the game rather than fight and turn suspicion back on her.  After the outing, if I had been Andie or Quentin, I would have chosen the red flame until I was the last one standing (wonder what would have happened if there were only two left?).  

Some feel like Arie knew Cirie was telling the truth about needing the money and bowed out.  I think he just realized his time was up.  He came to the finale with his fellow traitor and two people who were her strong allies. 

I don't think Arie really had a winning argument once Cirie threw the red smoke.  Cirie never accused him of being a traitor in her speech. (By the way, I really appreciate how this version didn't have a traitor outright targeting another traitor unless the faithfuls started the push.) If he accused Cirie of being a traitor, he'd have to explain why she, as a traitor, threw the red smoke if she assumed the rest were faithfuls.  At the end, if there's only one traitor and three faithfuls, the traitor wouldn't have a motive to eliminate a faithful because they win the whole thing.  A traitor only would need an elimination if they didn't want to share the pot with their fellow traitor.

The only thing Arie felt he could do within honest game play is tell Andie "good luck" as opposed to "congratulations" and basically confirming Christian's account that there was a late recruitment.   Andie and Quentin didn't pick up on the fact that it might also fit into Cirie's "deserve" argument. 

I think this game always will end with at least two people.  If they're two faithfuls, it's a split pot.  If one is a traitor, they get it all.  So the most a faithful can win is 125,000. 

Arie knew he couldn't argue against Cirie once she chose to vote again. He knew Quentin and Andie were close to Cirie and anything he said would be dismissed. All he could do at that point, to point the finger back at his betrayer, was do something that could be viewed as 'wait what? why?' Him dropping out was a clear signal from him that something was amiss, because of the very fact that it was such a strange move. On top of which he revealed he was a late recruit to the Traitors... along with him saying pointedly to Andie "good luck" which was yet another signal that both Andie and Quentin failed to pick up on. Unfortunately for them, they were so entrenched in the idea that Cirie couldn't possibly have it in her to, let alone purposely in a game for $250,000 - cough, betray them, they played themselves. I actually scoffed aloud when Quentin said "Cirie just masterfully found a traitor at the last moment" (or similar words) - I was waiting for the penny to drop with him soon as he said that, but it didn't... Dude's critical thinking skillz evaporated at the thought that they'd won, his face when Cirie said "I'm a Traitor" was an absolute classic picture. 

The game has to end with a minimum of two people, it can't end any other way.

• Like 13