Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Not The Eternal

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Michael Clarke as Skull
Rico Vina as Ned Shaw

Small things that bothered me:

The thermometers the Lockwood Agency used were too high-tech compared to the rest of the gadgets of the era.

They had a scene while the Lockwood Agency was on the job of exorcising Combe-Carey Hall, where the DEPRAC break down the door of the Lockwood Agency, there was no reason why and nothing seems to have come from it. The Lockwood Agency didn't even seem to notice that it had happened, like asking why has our door been busted in? The DEPRAC surely would have noticed the illegal Type-3 Ghost Skull they had sitting out in the open, in the basement if they searched the place. 

The Lockwood Agency and Flo were afraid they would be seen if they walked too close to the Winkman auction building because there were men watching everywhere. Yet, they can take a noisy, brightly lit boat right up to the back of the Winkman auction building and walk right into the back door without anyone noticing.

They have guns, why would any criminal use anything else?

How did they get the Type-3 Ghost Skull from the scene if everybody was so busy holding up Lockwood?

I really don't like them taking a cab everywhere, and talking about everything they are doing, like the driver can't hear everything they are saying and wouldn't have questions about it. I hope they get their own means of transportation if there is another season.

They should do a lot more sword fighting if there is another season.

There was not a sense of how dangerous Ghosts were to regular people if they were out and about on the streets at night or the measures that the city or residences have taken to ensure that Ghosts don't attack them. Nobody seemed that scared to be walking around at night, especially if only children can accurately see where the Ghosts are. A small touch they could have added, is salt dispensers and iron strips nailed to the floor, walls, and ceilings of every room, so that Ghosts can not attack or cross thresholds.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I had my quibbles with the show, but enjoyed it overall and am concerned that it doesn't seem to be getting enough buzz for Netflix to renew it. Based on how quickly they made a decision about 1899, I guess we'll find out in another month or so.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 1/28/2023 at 7:57 PM, AnimeMania said:

Michael Clarke as Skull
Rico Vina as Ned Shaw

Small things that bothered me:

The thermometers the Lockwood Agency used were too high-tech compared to the rest of the gadgets of the era.

They had a scene while the Lockwood Agency was on the job of exorcising Combe-Carey Hall, where the DEPRAC break down the door of the Lockwood Agency, there was no reason why and nothing seems to have come from it. The Lockwood Agency didn't even seem to notice that it had happened, like asking why has our door been busted in? The DEPRAC surely would have noticed the illegal Type-3 Ghost Skull they had sitting out in the open, in the basement if they searched the place. 

The Lockwood Agency and Flo were afraid they would be seen if they walked too close to the Winkman auction building because there were men watching everywhere. Yet, they can take a noisy, brightly lit boat right up to the back of the Winkman auction building and walk right into the back door without anyone noticing.

They have guns, why would any criminal use anything else?

How did they get the Type-3 Ghost Skull from the scene if everybody was so busy holding up Lockwood?

I really don't like them taking a cab everywhere, and talking about everything they are doing, like the driver can't hear everything they are saying and wouldn't have questions about it. I hope they get their own means of transportation if there is another season.

They should do a lot more sword fighting if there is another season.

There was not a sense of how dangerous Ghosts were to regular people if they were out and about on the streets at night or the measures that the city or residences have taken to ensure that Ghosts don't attack them. Nobody seemed that scared to be walking around at night, especially if only children can accurately see where the Ghosts are. A small touch they could have added, is salt dispensers and iron strips nailed to the floor, walls, and ceilings of every room, so that Ghosts can not attack or cross thresholds.

A few thoughts.

First it's not like anyone else could know the skull is a type III. The only other person who could talk to type IIIs is long dead. So as far as anyone else is conserned, it's just a spirit tied to a skull safely surrounded by silver glass. 

There is a curfew (noted explicitly in the first episode) for civilians so in theory, there should be very, very, few people walking around at night. It also means there isn't much in the way of police presence either. But best that can be seen, spirits tend to stick close to their source, I don't think it's been shown that spirits can actually travel long distances, so some area are probably much safer than others. If you don't live near a cemetery, and if your house hasn't had any violent deaths, and no one decides to bring some source to your house, you're probably safe.

This is a case where the books are more exicit in explaining how iron and other things are placed around houses to keep spirits away. (In episode one, when Lucy is visiting the Lockwood home for the first time, they show the iron across the ground as she steps to ring the doorbell).

Similarly with the Taxis, there's a bit more explanation about how the night time taxi system works.

I agree, the thermometers seemed surprisingly high tech, though for all we know it could just be some LEDs to create a basic digital value, sort of like the calculators in the 60s and 70s, or some of the hand held games back in the 70s. Besides, I can't imagine them walking around holding a non electronic thermometer! 

15 hours ago, bloodstar said:

I agree, the thermometers seemed surprisingly high tech, though for all we know it could just be some LEDs to create a basic digital value, sort of like the calculators in the 60s and 70s, or some of the hand held games back in the 70s. Besides, I can't imagine them walking around holding a non electronic thermometer! 

I am fanwanking that gadgets that are needed for fighting the ghosts are more high tech because that is where the focus is. So things like phones, tvs, etc are kind of stuck back in the 50 years ago time that the problem started while things that help protect or defend against the visitors are super high tech. 

I will admit, though, that I was a bit unsure of when this is meant to be, is it slightly in the past, in the present or a bit in the future from the time the books were written? I assume present, just an alternate present where, 50 years ago some ghost shit hit the fan, but I wouldn't put money on that. I don't really care either. I kind of like the vague timelessness of it all. 

I think the books mention that electricity/technology tends to mask the presence of ghosts from investigators. The intro has a scene of smashed computers so maybe tech also agitates ghosts?  I have to admit that I love seeing people doing research in libraries and archives instead of google

• Like 3