Type keyword(s) to search

Bling Empire: New York - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wealthy Asian-Americans lead sophisticated lives in New York City. Between endless numbers and party nights, they show off their luxurious and rich everyday lives, along with their exciting wardrobes.

Airdate: 01.20.2023

Netflix

It is comical seeing these pampered princesses attempting to tote their designer bags &  suitcases to the curb (oh, the HORROR!!!). Nam seems to be the most privileged and helpless of all of them so far - she apparently didn't know what a kettle was.

The weekend getaway house looked like something Pablo Escobar would have had designed in the 80's or early  90's. Richard is kind of a tone-deaf dolt. The argument he had with his girlfriend over her going on the girls trip was very badly acted. I don't know why I keep watching this, but here I am!

• Like 3

I'm enjoying this show a lot.  I agree that Richard Chang is a controlling ass.  The way he spoke to his girlfriend was horrible.  And yes, watching Nam Laks wrangling her luggage All By Herself (OMG) was hilarious, as was her shameless ignorance of, well, how to live.  I have her down as the biggest diva of them all.  How about that strange hanger-on, Blake, always inserting himself into the girls' nights out.  It's not that I don't like Blake; I just don't understand why he's there.  I kind of like Stephan and Deborah because it feels like they truly care about one another and he seems like the most laid back dude ever.  And finally, my favorite is Lynn Ban, the ever-so-slightly older woman with the dark makeup all around her eyes.  She's gutsy and has absolutely no fucks to give.  My kind of gal.  Geez, I forgot all about Dorothy Wang, maybe because she's so forgettable and played out.  I was bummed out when I realized she was going to be a big part of this show.

Edited by Oosala
Added Dorothy
  • Like 3

I need more clarification of Jett (Lyn's husband), what is his deal? Is Lyn his beard? He reminds me of Isaac Mizrahi.

Do we think Richard raised all the money on his own or was there some other force involved, he does not strike me as someone who can make people open their wallets.

All the money these girls have and they dress so strange, I know, it's "fashion."

The Huangs throw a party with no food and then get pissed because some girl is late, late to what??? I've had elevator rides longer than that party was.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Oh cripe.  Kane Lim just showed up on the plane.  The one with the chipmunk cheek fillers.  I remember him from Bling Empire OG.  I didn't like him then and I probably won't like him now.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Oosala said:

my favorite is Lynn Ban, the ever-so-slightly older woman with the dark makeup all around her eyes.  She's gutsy and has absolutely no fucks to give.  My kind of gal. 

I like her so far as well. I might be mis-remembering, but I think I saw her on an episode of Million Dollar Listing L.A. If it was her, she was selling an absolutely crazy looking vintage Hollywood Mansion, full of fascinating stuff. Not a realtor/home stager's dream, but fun to look at. I think it was just a fake set-up for the show.

She seems like someone who is always living her best life.

Her husband on the other hand...

3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I need more clarification of Jett (Lyn's husband), what is his deal? Is Lyn his beard? He reminds me of Isaac Mizrahi.

He seems like a major asshat, unfortunately. Perhaps they are in a lavender marriage of convenience?

Kane is everywhere apparently.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

He seems like a major asshat, unfortunately. Perhaps they are in a lavender marriage of convenience?

I have never heard that phrase before, the lavender marriage, asshat I've heard and used plenty.

Ugh. Kane.

Tina's dress she wore at that bar looked like it weighed twenty pounds, decorated more than most Christmas trees and then says she hates attention. really?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I just noticed Jett 🙄 when I was watching last night.  What a weirdo.  I've never seen anyone playing basketball so badly.  I think I could beat him and I've never played the game in my life!

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I love Nam!  The CEO of Hudson dude is this show's answer to the guy on the LA version who has the same schtick. The weekend in Long Island looked boring AF and just painful.  

It does seem like there are LA counterparts on the NY version.  We know that Lyn is the NY version of Anna (but not as completely bizarre as Anna), Richard is the NY version of Kevin and Kane is the LA version as the NY version, lol and why is he considered fabulous enough to fly private? LOL.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

It does seem like there are LA counterparts on the NY version.  We know that Lyn is the NY version of Anna (but not as completely bizarre as Anna), Richard is the NY version of Kevin and Kane is the LA version as the NY version, lol and why is he considered fabulous enough to fly private? LOL.

thank you for the names!

• LOL 1

Ugh Richard is such a dolt. I'm glad Vika put the brakes on his proposal plans - she seems like a nice young woman. Run away Vika!

From what we've seen so far, Ari seems like a genuinely nice guy. His family's fruit market in Astoria  looked lovely. Run away Ari! Run far, run fast!

Sounds like Tina had kind of a horrifying upbringing. Although on face-value, it would be easy to mock visiting a past-life therapist, in the brief segment we saw, I actually thought that therapist was better than some of the conventional ones I've been to. I'm surprised Tina was turning 40 when they filmed this - she looks a good decade younger.

What did Nam graduate from? Does Nam know what she graduated from? Did she pay someone to do her schoolwork for her? I guess her future storyline is she's going to be like a Thai Rachel Green from Friends.

Edited by Cheezwiz
  • LOL 2
On 1/27/2023 at 9:30 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

The weekend in Long Island looked boring AF and just painful.  

Agreed. For the scions of billionaires, that was a boring getaway. I also hated the wastefulness of throwing those cakes at each other. 

I liked Blake, Vika, and Tina because they were the least useless ones in the bunch. For an influencer, besides foolishly showing up late to the Chanel show, Tina seemed to take the job seriously. I hate that she has such a childish palate, though. She doesn't even drink water. But hearing about the horror show that was her childhood, it makes sense that there's arrested emotional development. 

I don't find ineptness cute, so Nam worked my nerves. Not knowing how to turn on the stove isn't the flex she thought it was. 

The surrealism-themed party was dull. Everyone was standing around sweating. Again, for a bunch of rich people, there was no reason why the Huangs couldn't turn it out better than that. However, I do like them. Stephen gave me David Bowie vibes, and Deborah was right when she said that it's rude when people ask her about having children. 

The blind date Dorothy and Tina went on was painful. It also didn't help that the musician said that Dorothy and Tina looked alike. Good on Tina for shutting that shit all the way down.

Tina and Dorothy blowing off the Hudson appointment wasn't clear. If I'm understanding correctly, Richard assumed they were coming, took the liberty to set up an appointment, but didn't bother to confirm with them. 

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Tina and Dorothy blowing off the Hudson appointment wasn't clear. If I'm understanding correctly, Richard assumed they were coming, took the liberty to set up an appointment, but didn't bother to confirm with them. 

This was very confusing. Richard definitely assumed without confirming. But later on when he confronted Tina and Dorothy about it, Dorothy, I think, said something like, "Well we just didn't want to go because it was uncomfortable." So I think they let him think they were coming instead of just stating outright that they weren't feeling it, which is equally as shitty

• Like 3
3 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

This was very confusing. Richard definitely assumed without confirming. But later on when he confronted Tina and Dorothy about it, Dorothy, I think, said something like, "Well we just didn't want to go because it was uncomfortable." So I think they let him think they were coming instead of just stating outright that they weren't feeling it, which is equally as shitty

Dorothy and Tina don't need anyone to defend them, but Richard was using them to promote the business, right?  It wasn't as if Richard, out of the goodness of his heart, was offering a friend a favor.  D&T got turned off by the 2am text (I would too), they thought it was too pushy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1