Type keyword(s) to search

Blood Tells: Characters, Storylines, Actors

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Starting a topic because i need some intel on Baker. So she's a detective - full rank, carries a weapon, but runs Frank's schedule?? They can't have a civilian do that? Maybe there's a security issue? I think she's great - she manages that office and its access with an iron fist. I wish they'd use her more - i'd love to see her sit in with Garrett and Sid on a pow-wow. 

I also like that she and Frank have a collegial work relationship and nothing else. I realize that this is not the show for subordinate flirting, but it's still nice to see absolutely no sexual tension between a man and his female assistant.

Wasn't she pregnant last season? DO we know anything about her life? I don't remember a husband when she was being sexually harrassed by the Long Island cop.

(I always loved Margaret and Leo's relationship on the West Wing; hence the title. Also - she had a surprise pregnancy too!) Feel free to change if it's confusing.)

• Love 2

I remember her being pregnant, although it was never mentioned.  If it was just the actress, they took no steps to conceal it.  She does sometimes wear a wedding ring, almost like the actress has forgotten to take hers off.

I recall the episode when Frank was shot and they pulled the SUV up. Baker got out and minced around the vehicle doing dainty little steps in ridiculous heels.   Annoying, like when Curatolo and now Baez wear pumps to work as detective. 

• Love 1

I get annoyed when any woman wears high heels - they are eff-ing useless.  But I digress.

Baker should have a spin-off.

But I digress.

It doesn't surprise me that the commissioner's admin is a cop - aides to flag officers are members of the same branch.  I'm sure there is a good historical background to it, which I'm not going to look up.  In fact I suspect there are very few civilians working in the commissioner's office, the commissioner being one, and Garrett (probably) another.  Baker taking this job makes sense if she is also wanting to have duties that make it easier to start and raise a family, something which we may infer because the actress, and therefore the character, was pregnant a year or two ago.

Baker should definitely have a spin-off.  I would not fast-forward that.

• Love 5

Going through this forum, all I can see are negative comments about Eddie. I just can't understand why people dislike her so much. Truth be told, I find her character quite enjoyable as she is headstrong, funny, and vivacious. Quite the opposite of Ray's character on Pretty Little Liars haha. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I would not say Jamie is perfect, but best of the bunch for sure.

What I see this season again -- in a nice throwback on the part of the writers -- is a renewed effort to parallel Jamie with Frank & Henry. Jamie's point of view is often the point of view Frank must have whether he wants to or not: see the flag issue & Jamie & Danny's differing views on it in the last episode.

During seasons 1, 2 & 3, I saw all three generations with their "Good-Bad Guy Buddies" "Happy Jack" Vintano (Henry), Angelo Gallo (Frank) & Noble Sanfino (Jamie). It would be nice to see all those "Good-Bad Guy Buddies" again.

This season more so than before, Selleck's Frank will look at Estes' Jamie & seems to be seeing a future commissioner. I saw the look in the finale last year too when Jamie was taking responsibility for not seeing the guy who shot Linda & killed the witness would go there. DW's Danny no doubt catches Frank looking at Jamie that way too hence the green-eyed monster coming out of late. They are setting up something very cool there with a Jamie career trajectory that rewards long time fans who have watched Jamie earn his way through the ranks from the fresh faced kid we saw graduate in the pilot & the interpersonal drama from early on that I enjoyed as Danny is not the most mature person around to watch his "kid brother" surpass him. Elements of The Godfather not seen since early on... Scary Sonny-Fredo combo for Jamie & everyone else to deal with should they mess with Danny's kid brother. If they follow through with it, the story I/we want for Jamie will be there going forward. Sergeant, etc. Jamison Reagan opens up a lot of story possibilities & allows the writers to cede episodes from DW to WE while DW is off with other endeavors & no longer lives local from what I understand.

I am of two minds on the Jamie love interest issue. I think shows put themselves in a bind when they try to be too matchy matchy with the leads. I think Eddie is a clear effort to give Jamie someone in a long term capacity (at the outset a good idea) who seems to be his type (strong woman who speaks her mind along with bad guy (in this case father -- pyramid scheme instead of mortgage fraud or mob) who simultaneously drives drama by virtue of being his partner on the job. Having never seen a bit of chemistry & Eddie's meathead approach -- not the same as strong at all -- on full display in her first appearance put me off the two as a couple from the very beginning. Examples: Eddie's idea was to let Salazar take out the man who killed his partner? Then, there's Kara Walsh at least a year later. Even after taking a bullet for Eddie if I'm not mistaken, Eddie still had issues with Kara testifying against her partner & told her so. More recently, Eddie's don't make things uncomfortable for me with your principles.

Eddie also drives around in a sports car (another outright effort to recall a prior love interest from where I sat) paid for by the father Eddie won't speak to for stealing from people. How does Eddie think her father paid for the car? Let's just say I don't think Eddie shares Jamie's value system & while its a television show, it's best not to match up with someone based on whether your brother or grandfather work well with him/her. Your brother or grandfather is not who would have to navigate life with him/her. Not to mention, I really don't think Henry or Danny would choose to be with Eddie. I doubt Betty was like Eddie & I know Linda isn't. BTW, something I caught on a recent rerun, Bianca & Linda are wearing what appears to be the same little black dress in A Night On the Town. I always thought that was an interesting choice on the part of writers/costume.

Rather than try to shoehorn someone in there should Eddie exit the canvas as I hope she will, I would go organic & have fun with Jamie again. Rest assured, Jamie gets laid -- look at him. They can pull from the past down the road in some way or marry Jamie to someone entirely new in a flash forward at the end whenever that is to give him a family. In the meantime, Hot Uncle Jamie taught Nikki how to drive (good thing he was there to do it for absentee father Jack & worrywart Erin) & is a more rational sounding board for Jack & Sean who will surely need it at some point. I hope the writers keep track of how old their characters are going forward & rise to the occasion.

• Love 4

She's immature and whiny and her "crush" on Jamie comes off as very "junior high." Jamie needs someone smarter, more thoughtful, and more professional as both a work partner and a life partner.  Eddie's just an annoying adolescent.  Even her banter is lame and juvenile.  Not a well-written character.  Move her to another precinct.

• Love 2

The writers wants viewers to see her as strong and non-nonsense character. But they write her as immature, selfish headstrong brat that folds at every sign of danger to her position in law-enforcement and likes to blame Jamie, a person closest to her, for her own trust issues and hung-ups. They should tone her down, fast, because as much I can see Jamie liking her because he's "the nice one" in the family and the actress is indeed very attractive, Eddie would just steamroll over him (like she tends to do).

• Love 4
The writers wants viewers to see her as strong and non-nonsense character. But they write her as immature, selfish headstrong brat that folds at every sign of danger to her position in law-enforcement and likes to blame Jamie, a person closest to her, for her own trust issues and hung-ups.

That's what I find odd. If you are professional writers & I (your viewer) am supposed to like Eddie, why write dialogue & character traits that don't jibe with the image you are trying to project of strong & no-nonsense? Online fans are a small percentage of your audience, but enough people are put off by Eddie where a thread like this exists & that isn't good. How could pros not know the difference or work to correct it or show a character evolution if the goal is to progress the character of Eddie to where your viewership at large (regardless of whether some ever like Eddie or not -- not everyone ever has to -- including me -- if its believable) can see & accept Eddie standing by Jamie's side as the woman he loves when the curtain falls for the last time on the show? 

These writers may not care what some fans think, some writers don't, & I'm not an advocate for fan service either. I don't think fans should dictate story lines. Given TS & DW, there's a built in audience for this show who could probably care less what happens with Jamie so they could potentially keep Jamie muddled in b-stories with a childlike partner for perpetuity/CBS pulls the plug, but "it doesn't need to be Christmas to know when you are sitting next to a turkey" & that would stink for Estes no matter how much he likes Ray.   

• Love 1

I think Jamie was backed into a corner from the first episode of this show.  I mean, they tried to have him in his own story line the first 2 years but neither of them ended well in a narrative perspective.  And sometimes I would even forget he was on the show.  After a few seasons someone must have figured out "So we need to make Jamie  interesting..I know!  Pair him with a female partner who comes off as bratty and hot headed and have sparks fly!" Personally I think the only woman that was written fairly well was Jackie.  Erin and Linda have their long moments, and hey, even Nicki is getting a nice crumb once in a while.  But Baez and Janko hardly do anything for me. 

• Love 1

Last episode illustrates quite well why so many people dislike the character. She signed the team up for a covert op without asking Jamie first, accused him of lack of ambition and then ignored a call about another cop being shot, even worse she took the keys to the car so that Jamie had to run for assistance.

And then the writers let her get off easily by turning the call into prank. The conflict between her and Jamie is resolved over a cup of a coffee with no indication on her side that she would not act exactly the same way next time in a similar situation. I find the writing for the character more annoying than the character herself - if that makes sense.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 7

Last episode illustrates quite well why so many people dislike the character. She signed the team up for a covert op without asking Jamie first, accused him of lack of ambition and then ignored a call about another cop being shot, even worse she took the keys to the car so that Jamie had to run for assistance.

And then the writers let her get off easily by turning the call into prank. The conflict between her and Jamie is resolved over a cup of a coffee with no indication on her side that she would not act exactly the same way next time in a similar situation. I find the writing for the character more annoying than the character herself - if that makes sense.

That's what's driving me nuts. Are the writers even aware of how Janko is coming across? Are they that dim witted? At one point I was on board with her and Jamie getting together but if she keeps acting like this then Jamie needs a new partner.

Since there seems to be broad agreement on this board that Eddie is not the answer for Jamie, let's help the writers find Jamie's soulmate. The purpose of this forum is to describe the person we would like to see with Jamie.

I see Jamie with someone elegant and sensitive, perhaps an artist. There are enough police officers and lawyers in the clan already, so it would be nice to bring a different perspective to the dinner table. What characteristics would you like to see?

• Love 2

I suspect there are very few civilians working in the commissioner's office, the commissioner being one, and Garrett (probably) another.  

There's been at least one reference to Garrett carrying a gun (the episode where the tipsy police officer foils a robbery), but I agree, I can't imagine his path through the police department.

Edited by highway61
I suspect there are very few civilians working in the commissioner's office, the commissioner being one, and Garrett (probably) another. 

In real life there are a number of civilians in the commissioner's office. And by civilian I mean not coming up from the ranks since all the Deputy Commissioner's are considered civilian administrators. The deputies like IT, legal affairs, etc. are usually experts from outside the department. Not to mention all sorts of other mundane, but important jobs. Of course in Blue Bloods world who knows?

There's been at least one reference to Garrett carrying a gun (the episode where the tipsy police officer foils a robbery), but I agree, I can't imagine his path through the police department.

I don't know I know a lot of cops who are very good at PR and politics. Even seeing pictures sometimes it's hard to imagine them in a patrol car. The harder part for me to imagine is him carrying a gun. With all the crap he takes...

There are many cops who are very good at PR and politics, but I've never heard any reference made by anyone in the show to Garrett's ever having  been a cop.  I would assume if he had spent significant time in the past working as a cop that we would have heard about it; Baker hardly gets any screen time and we know she's a cop so I'm sure it would have come up with Garrett after 6 seasons.  Many civilians have concealed carry permits - heck Erin has one; Garrett probably has one due to the public nature of his job and that he basically works for the police department.

Edited by patches403
  • Love 1

What about the woman Jamie saved from being kidnapped a few years ago?  The one where her friend was involved.  I can't remember which season, but Jamie was posted outside her motel room- after he left he remembered no details of her attempted abduction was made public yet her friend showed up.  Thought they would be a good match at that time. 

Just looked it up- Laura Peck -  season 1 episode 22 The Blue Templar.

Edited by morriss
remembered name of episode
  • Love 2
On 8/6/2016 at 11:45 AM, patches403 said:

There are many cops who are very good at PR and politics, but I've never heard any reference made by anyone in the show to Garrett's ever having  been a cop.

My father, who used to work as LEO in NYC used to love this show.  He did tell me that the majority at One P.P. are cops who transitioned to HQ.  In theory, someone like Garrett could be someone who was a street cop for a while but perhaps had a college background in marketing/public relations.    Of course some people are just naturally good at politicking. 

Edited by magicdog

Personally I would like to see Jamie paired with another man. Sydney did not work out. Also Eddie will not work out. So why not another man. On Season 5, Episode 3 Burning Bridges the show obviously is not afraid to tackle issues such as same-sex relationship. Frank also made it clear he believed the church needed to "catch up to the 21st century." So I highly doubt he would be angry that Jamie is another man. I would like the man to be an actor. Jamie could have meet him when he was doing one of his daily jogs. Jamie notices the man studying a script and he loves the play or movie the man is studying. So they could start talking and just evolve from that. I am sorry if this offends anybody but I am a firm believer in this.

I would love to see an episode with a flashback as part of it. They could show us what Henry or Frank was like as a detective, or what Henry was like when he was Police Commissioner. I know we've had the occasional story at dinner, but I think a flashback as part of an episode might be fun. I'd also love an episode where get a flashback and see Danny and his generation as kids or teenagers. 

• Love 2

"Manhatten Queens" is one of my favorite episodes because Baker gets an actual storyline. I wish the writers would do more episodes like that for her. I am pretty sure Garrett has never been an officer and is someone from outside that world, as opposed to Frank or Sid.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I am pretty sure Garrett has never been an officer and is someone from outside that world, as opposed to Frank or Sid.

Affirm, I am pretty sure that Garrett is professional public relations guy. If I am right there is an episode in which is mentioned that Garrett once worked for the opposition of Mayor Russo (first Blue Bloods Mayor) and wrote some ugly text about Frank.

//Edit: I looked it up, it is episode 3x16 "Quid Pro Quo", see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Bloods_(season_3)#ep60

Edited by m16a3norecoilhax
Addition

I'd like to see Jamie do his job as a cop just like we see Erin do her job in the DA's office and have him attend the family dinner where the topic of conversation is what's going on in their professions. I can switch to the Hallmark channel if I want schmaltz.

• Love 4

How about nobody? Some people prefer to focus on their work/interests or just don't care about romantic relationships. Even good looking people can prefer to not date because they're busy or maybe just don't see the point and don't want to. It would be nice for people like that to see a character like them. Or even just to not force characters into poorly thought out relationships. All the others have been/are married. He could be the cool single one that's happy without that. I'd love to see more characters like that. Ones that aren't treated like pathetic, dateless losers, but as actual people that just don't care to date. It would be interesting. Those characters always get changed too, unfortunately. 

• Love 7

It feels like throughout this Blue Bloods hiatus, we’ve spent a good bit of time discussing Jamie Reagan through his relationship with Eddie Janko … and understandably so, given that the two have undeniable chemistry and they’re only fooling themselves if they think that they can continue to avoid their feelings.

For the sake of this article, though, what we want to do is look beyond Jamie for a minute in order to figure out what else could be coming his way in season 8 — and what should be. Will Estes does a great job with this character — Jamie is determined, he’s ambitious, but he’s also principled. He’s very different than some of his other family members in that he tries to really avoid moral gray areas, and enjoys the work that he does in uniform and on the streets. He had an opportunity to pursue something more in his career on this past season but opted instead not to do it.

Blue Bloods season 8: What is the future for Jamie Reagan? (Character spotlight)

9 hours ago, CooperTV said:

It feels like throughout this Blue Bloods hiatus, we’ve spent a good bit of time discussing Jamie Reagan through his relationship with Eddie Janko … and understandably so, given that the two have undeniable chemistry and they’re only fooling themselves if they think that they can continue to avoid their feelings.

For the sake of this article, though, what we want to do is look beyond Jamie for a minute in order to figure out what else could be coming his way in season 8 — and what should be. Will Estes does a great job with this character — Jamie is determined, he’s ambitious, but he’s also principled. He’s very different than some of his other family members in that he tries to really avoid moral gray areas, and enjoys the work that he does in uniform and on the streets. He had an opportunity to pursue something more in his career on this past season but opted instead not to do it.

Blue Bloods season 8: What is the future for Jamie Reagan? (Character spotlight)

Undeniable chemistry? Undeniable??? Really. I guess there is some undeniable chemistry there - they are indisputably made up of mostly carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Undeniable chemistry? Undeniable??? Really. I guess there is some undeniable chemistry there - they are indisputably made up of mostly carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen.

I was facepalming so hard while I was reading that article. Yeah, that "chemistry" is certainly... something.

• Love 3

Eh. She's not a great actress. He's got a bit more craft, but he's no Olivier. That said, he plays the thoughtful, intelligent Reagan well (sometimes moreso than Erin). And it's been suggested more than once that he'd be a good Sergeant. I think that might suit him better than being a detective, because he really is a people person (moreso than "throw 'em in the trunk" Danny.)

• Love 6
On December 28, 2015 at 1:14 PM, ComeWhatMay said:

Elements of The Godfather not seen since early on... Scary Sonny-Fredo combo for Jamie & everyone else to deal with should they mess with Danny's kid brother.

Yes! This works for so many reasons. Sonny is the oldest son and a hothead like Danny. Michael, like Jamie is the youngest brother, the one who wasn't supposed to go into the family business but does anyway and is great at it. Also both Michael and Jamie are rational, cool, and logical.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, spunky said:

I see Jamie with someone who can bring out and appreciate his intelligence, for example, a teacher/professor, a doctor, a social worker or even a lawyer. 

I've thought a teacher would be perfect for the longest time, but the show won't do that.  It would mean giving a new actress a regular role and the show already has too many regular characters to cram into 43 minutes.

• Love 2
On 9/30/2017 at 6:00 PM, Magnumfangirl said:

I've thought a teacher would be perfect for the longest time, but the show won't do that.  It would mean giving a new actress a regular role and the show already has too many regular characters to cram into 43 minutes.

She can be reoccurring, it's not as if they actually do a lot with Jamie anyway.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Ursula Parrott said:

They could give Gramps one of those "wood shampoos" he's always talking about and ship him off to the great station house in the sky. 

I've always figured the series finale would be Henry's death and funeral. Maybe his death is the second to last episode of the series, but the series ends with his death and one of Danny's sons graduating the academy, taking us full circle to the pilot with Jamie's graduation. 

• Love 1

He ought to meet someone that has the same morals and standards he does. 

Reckless speculation:  Both him and Eddie make it to Detective, get reassigned:  Jamie with Baez, and Janko with Danny.  Jamie and Eddie potential romance somehow gets stonewalled, Danny and Baez grow closer.

On 2/25/2017 at 9:09 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I'd also love an episode where get a flashback and see Danny and his generation as kids or teenagers. 

They've established him as a bit of a hellraiser as a kid. I'd be perfectly happy to see his rebellious teen years exploring urban culture and hanging out with a bad crowd. And of course the mandatory bad haircut to establish the era. I can picture it now...

NKOTB-1.jpgNKOTB-3.jpg

• Love 1